• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avixph

You are so wrong.
How is that wrong? What are the benefits of having the headphone jack at the bottom?

What? No. You're one of those people that still uses SD cards, aren't you?
There is nothing wrong with using SD cards.

I don't understand how this is still a thing. Who slides their phone into their pockets right side up like a crazy person....

Everyone that uses phones (all of the current phone except for the HTC one M8) with headphone jacks at the top.

Cipherr

Everyone that uses phones (all of the current phone except for the HTC one M8) with headphone jacks at the top.

That doesn't explain why you would embrace it. Its very clearly silly. The manufacturers are forcing it on us, but it still makes way more sense to put it on the bottom.

Avixph

That doesn't explain why you would embrace it. Its very clearly silly. The manufacturers are forcing it on us, but it still makes way more sense to put it on the bottom.

(1) it's matter of personal preference and I like the headphone jack at the top, (2) if you place your phone in your jacket or shirt pocket It's better for when you want to check the time on your phone or any other status, (3) If you use your phone as a car GPS and connect it to your car's aux cord to amplify the sound the screen won't be upside-down when you're reading the direction.

kehs

Banned
if you place your phone in your jacket or shirt pocket It's better for when you want to check the time on your phone or any other status,

That's the the Moto 360 is for. Checking time on your phone instead of you smartwatch? pfft

What's next, you don't want to use your Glass for translations?

mturco

How is that wrong? What are the benefits of having the headphone jack at the bottom?
Take out your phone. Now put it in your pocket without changing how you're holding it. Your phone is upside down in your pocket. You can't do this when something is plugged into the headphone jack if the jack is on the top of the phone. Pretty simple stuff.

There is nothing wrong with using SD cards.
There's nothing wrong with floppy disks either.

Yeah and it sucks. Drives me nuts every time I do it.

Avixph

Take out your phone. Now put it in your pocket without changing how you're holding it. Your phone is upside down in your pocket. You can't do this when something is plugged into the headphone jack if the jack is on the top of the phone. Pretty simple stuff.

I don't know what you are talking about because I always place my phone in my phone with the micro-USB dock facing down especially when I have headphones plugged in.

mturco

I don't know what you are talking about because I always place my phone in my phone with the micro-USB dock facing down especially when I have headphones plugged in.

What? You didn't read my instructions. It's way easier/more convenient to put your phone in your pocket upside down because you're already holding it that way. You can literally just put your hand inside your pocket without changing how you're holding the phone at all. Do I need to draw a diagram? lol

kehs

Banned

Well, you're forced to twirl the phone around because the headphone jack is on the wrong end.

What? You didn't read my instructions. It's way easier/more convenient to put your phone in your pocket upside down because you're already holding it that way. You can literally just put your hand inside your pocket without changing how you're holding the phone at all. Do I need to draw a diagram? lol

some people have gone beyond basic motor skills

Avixph

Well, you're forced to twirl the phone around because the headphone jack is on the wrong end.

I don't just drop my phone into my pocket and it's always right side-up (which is the way I hold it).

This thread really just cycles between 5 arguments:

- Audio jack on top vs bottom
- On-screen buttons vs hardware
- AMOLED vs LCD
- Stock vs skins
- Removable batteries and SD cards vs corporate ballwashing
fixed.

... and what's up with those weird phones with the USB port on the side?

kehs

Banned
I don't just drop my phone into my pocket and it's always right side-up (which is the way I hold it).

When you swing your arm down. Your wrist has to thrust upwards in order for the USB side to penetrate your pocket.

I guess it's a half twirl, still counts though.

See below.

Sketch250235113.jpg

mturco

There are obviously trade offs on either side. I think one trade off that gets overlooked a lot though is just how much faster onboard flash is than even a higher quality sd card, especially with how much onboard flash has improved in the last few years. It can very noticeably affect the speed of the phone.

Edit: Just to illustrate... (and these are high end microSD cards too, so not likely what most people use).

62195.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7893/the-htc-one-m8-review/7

microsds-random-readq8rr9.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/microsd-cards-2014/-5-Random-Read-4-KB-QD-1-MB-s,3484.html

Cipherr

No need, Ill recycle the GIFs from the last time Android GAF had this argument.

The correct way:

The way of heathens, 'superior beings', and weirdos:

2jxx4YV.png
What in the hell is THAT? Twirling phones like marching band batons before putting them in your pocket? #HowAboutNo

Lol...wow you guys are arguing about headphone placement...

Man this is nothing. Team Hardware Buttons versus Team Software Buttons gets ugly as hell. After it dies down in the thread it actually spills over into the Android GAF Hangout, swear to god.

Avixph

No need, Ill recycle the GIFs from the last time Android GAF had this argument.

The way of heathens, 'superior beings', and weirdos:
headphone-bad.gif

You don't have to twirl your phone to take out of the pocket.
This just propaganda to stroke the egos of those that prefer the headphone jack at the bottom of the phone.

mturco

This just propaganda to stroke the egos of those that prefer the headphone jack at the bottom of the phone.

We're going to need a GIF of your technique then.

(But seriously, you can't admit it's easier? Come on.)

Cipherr

Wut? Those demonstrations are of someone putting a phone into a pocket, not taking it out. And even if they were, if you have your jack on the bottom and put your phone into your pocket naturally (which will leave it upside down) when you remove it from your pocket its already positioned in your hand to view it right side up again.

This thread really just cycles between 5 arguments:

- Audio jack on top vs bottom
- On-screen buttons vs hardware
- AMOLED vs LCD
- Stock vs skins
- Removable batteries and SD cards vs sanity

Don't forget hyping up a new phone to no end, and then when release no one here ends up buying it..

mturco

pretty bad comparison. the phones with sd come with onboard storage too, the speed comparison should be vs the cloud.

All I'm saying is that onboard flash is much, much faster than even high end SD cards. I would much prefer manufacturers quit pretending flash is expensive and start putting 32/64 GB of onboard flash in phones standard and eliminate SD cards altogether. I mean look at the OnePlus One and/or any iFixIt teardown. Flash is not expensive, it's just a load of shit that Apple made everyone believe.

Avixph

Wut? Those demonstrations are of someone putting a phone into a pocket, not taking it out. And even if they were, if you have your jack on the bottom and put your phone into your pocket naturally (which will leave it upside down) when you remove it from your pocket its already positioned in your hand to view it right side up again.
Like I said above: When I place my phone in my pocket it is right side up (micro-USB facing downwards).

Avixph

We're going to need a GIF of your technique then.

(But seriously, you can't admit it's easier? Come on.)
It is easier for me and besides it's just a matter of preference which end a person prefers the headphone jack of their phones to be located at.

All I'm saying is that onboard flash is much, much faster than even high end SD cards. I would much prefer manufacturers quit pretending flash is expensive and start putting 32/64 GB of onboard flash in phones standard and eliminate SD cards altogether. I mean look at the OnePlus One and/or any iFixIt teardown. Flash is not expensive, it's just a load of shit that Apple made everyone believe.

but they all basically come wiith the same amount of onboard regardless of the inclusion of a SD slot.

DonMigs85

Im even fine with it for apps, the problem is google not supporting them for apps because they are lazy asses.
I understand Google' reasons for wanting the OS and all apps on one main Linux filesystem though. Plus eMMC really is faster and somewhat more reliable. They aren't lazy, it's really for the best.

mturco

but they all basically come wiith the same amount of onboard regardless of the inclusion of a SD slot.
Having a slot for microSD doesn't bother me at all as long as it's accessible from the outside (so that unibody is still possible but that's another argument). I just don't want companies using it as an excuse to include less onboard flash. I'm really not sure why the amount of onboard flash hasn't increased every year like everything else. We have 3GB of RAM now but we're still shipping phones with 16GB of onboard flash standard? Ridiculous.

Groof

Headphone jack on top is fine, headphone jack on bottom is fine.
Having an sd card slot is nice, but not a deal breaker.
OLED is great for its infinite contrast, but LCD is also great for its (usually) better colour reproduction.
On screen buttons are a godsend, but hardware buttons are passable.

Having any port on the side is however, the devil.

The Verge reviews: HTC One mini 2

Verge Score: 7.7

Good Stuff
  • Has the look and feel of a high-end device
  • BoomSound speakers make a real difference
  • Better fit in the hand than the One

Bad Stuff
  • Not as refined as the One
  • Motion Launch controls are gone
  • Camera disappoints

A smaller and cheaper HTC One is still my dream phone, but this isn't it

HTC has a habit of making the most desirable Android smartphones on the market. The One X in 2012, the One in 2013, and the One again in 2014 have all been rightly celebrated for raising the bar for mobile design and performance. Now the company that knows how to do “best” is trying to do “good enough” and it’s obviously struggling to find the perfect formula. The One mini 2 retains plenty of the One’s visual and ergonomic appeal, but it’s just not as polished nor as coherent a device. Like murder by a thousand small cuts, its various little downgrades combine to kill the subtle aura of exclusivity that the One conveys. That phone is the One, whereas this is just another One.

The One mini 2 aims to bring premium design into a part of the smartphone market that’s more sensitive to price than aesthetics. I wonder how many people would be willing to pay extra for the sumptuous metal finish without stepping up all the way to the flagship One. Those whose budgets are constrained to the One mini 2’s price bracket would probably be better served seeking greater functionality and performance — as offered by Sony’s Xperia Z1 Compact — than classy good looks. They’re likely to derive greater satisfaction from that device than this compromised recreation of an uncompromising design.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/26/5749634/htc-one-mini-2-review

Cipherr

Somehow I'm not sure I believe him. If they get a faster SoC and ditch the aluminum for plastic, would it really have scored better? I'm not so certain.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Having a weird issue with my Nexus 7, the header image in the Google now cards area isn't showing when in portrait mode, but does in landscape. Really bugging me. I'm in London so I usually get that image, I know I had it before, plus I've seen the doodles pop up too. Anyone else had this problem?

microSD > cloud storage (way faster, no messing with multiple and unreliable filesystems)
removable battery > Unibody design (better longevity, more durable, can replace scuffed battery cover)

Yup, who the fuck wants the hassle of uploading gigs and stream to phone when you have got to worry about data limits and how it affects battery drain, when you’ve got the economical and efficient solution in the form sdcards? Until 64GB becomes the bare minimum or unlimited plans are available everywhere without getting fucked over, and huge improvements to battery life, I say fuck this cloud shit, I’ll stick to sdcard thank you very much.

OLED is great for its infinite contrast, but LCD is also great for its (usually) better colour reproduction.

OLED doesn't have any particular color gamut. By default Samsung likes to ship their phones set to a super-wide gamut but you can set the phone to have a more subdued gamut if you prefer it.

On screen buttons are a godsend, but hardware buttons are passable.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Having any port on the side is however, the devil.

I haven't seen a phone with a port on the side since my old Droid X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom