• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this comes with some sort of reachability mode. If this is 5.9 inches then there is not an excuse for them to reach feature parity with every 2014 Android flagship.

What's the release date on this? My wallet is ready but I am unsure about this device.

Announcement tomorrow with a release date of early November is the current leading rumor.

manfestival

Evleaks still dropping fire:

Bz6NAHjCMAAYUs0.png

oh lawd that looks so nice

Isn't tomorrow iPad eve though? You think they'd do such a big announcement so close to Apple?
No reasonable person would expect a phone like that to sell like hotcakes or anything so I can't imagine that they care. And the ipad event is after tomorrow not tomorrow.

Hasney

Isn't tomorrow iPad eve though? You think they'd do such a big announcement so close to Apple?

Who needs a mofoing iPad mini when we got 6" that slip right inside your pocket?

BOOM. To be honest, it needs Z3-like battery life to make me consider it... But I do love that size.

Zeppu

No reasonable person would expect a phone like that to sell like hotcakes or anything so I can't imagine that they care. And the ipad event is after tomorrow not tomorrow.

I said iPad eve ;)

It's not really about the iPads vs Nexus though, it's more about a new Android major version release which would get somewhat drowned in next days' news.

I said iPad eve ;)

It's not really about the iPads vs Nexus though, it's more about a new Android major version release which would get somewhat drowned in next days' news.
What new android release? Most of the world isn't even going to see L unless you're using a nexus or motorola phone ololllo

I said iPad eve ;)

Google is not having a press event, though. They're just launching information in a series of press releases.

If they really wanted to make a big splash, Google would've had a press event, not roll out the new version of Android via blog posts.

Really hoping there is another Nexus device that isn't ginormous, but I've been leaning towards the Z3c for a while now and can get 20% off (I have a friend who works for Sony).

Any solid rumors pointing to more than 1 device this year? I see some speculation in this thread but didn't see any link.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Really hoping there is another Nexus device that isn't ginormous, but I've been leaning towards the Z3c for a while now and can get 20% off (I have a friend who works for Sony).

Any solid rumors pointing to more than 1 device this year? I see some speculation in this thread but didn't see any link.

The Nexus 6/x and the Nexus 9. Nothing more.

Zeppu

Google is not having a press event, though. They're just launching information in a series of press releases.

If they really wanted to make a big splash, Google would've had a press event, not roll out the new version of Android via blog posts.

Yeah this is exactly my point. I get that they don't tend to want to do a big splash, which is why they forego doing their own press conference and just do a bunch of blog updates to announce their releases. What I'm finding strange is that usually (I'm using 'usually' very liberally here) they pad out their announcement in such as way that it'll get enough exposure due to the fact that there isn't major news happening at the same time. So even their quiet release gets noticed by the people who follow tech news.

Releasing the day before an Apple announcement would mean that the next day most tech sites will be:

New MacBook Airs announced
New Mac Minis announced
iPad Mini cases are new colours Apple has invented
New iPad lineup come with Touch ID
New iPads call come with 2GB of ram, something no one knew they wanted but definitely needed
iPad Pro boasts 12" screen, toaster and refrigerator, finally together.
Yosemite rolls out on Macs tomorrow
New iPod Nanos
New iPod Classics
Apple TV announced
Join us live for Apple's event tomorrow
Android L released on 5.9" Nexus 6
What to expect tomorrow from Apple's "It's been too long" event

---

It could of course be that they had previously signed NDAs which happened to expire tomorrow and they miscalculated when Apple would be holding their event.

kehs

Banned
Yeah this is exactly my point. I get that they don't tend to want to do a big splash, which is why they forego doing their own press conference and just do a bunch of blog updates to announce their releases. What I'm finding strange is that usually (I'm using 'usually' very liberally here) they pad out their announcement in such as way that it'll get enough exposure due to the fact that there isn't major news happening at the same time. So even their quiet release gets noticed by the people who follow tech news.

Releasing the day before an Apple announcement would mean that the next day most tech sites will be:

New MacBook Airs announced
New Mac Minis announced
iPad Mini cases are new colours Apple has invented
New iPad lineup come with Touch ID
New iPads call come with 2GB of ram, something no one knew they wanted but definitely needed
iPad Pro boasts 12" screen, toaster and refrigerator, finally together.
Yosemite rolls out on Macs tomorrow
New iPod Nanos
New iPod Classics
Apple TV announced
Join us live for Apple's event tomorrow
Android L released on 5.9" Nexus 6
What to expect tomorrow from Apple's "It's been too long" event

---

It could of course be that they had previously signed NDAs which happened to expire tomorrow and they miscalculated when Apple would be holding their event.

I can't wait for the huge Google event on the 15th.

Gazelle is offering $130 for the 32 GB Nexus 5.

I hadn't planned on getting the Nexus 6, but depending on the critical reception and the price, I might be tempted.

Ashes

Banned
Motorola just asked me to reset my moto 4g after it wrecked my SD card. Several of them failed to work. And the one that did work for a while is the one that got wrecked. Instead of admitting liability, and that it was a known bug e.g. they released firmwares to fix an issue with memory cards, which didn't work for me; the kind person then sent an email and said it was virtually impossible to ruin SD cards in such a way.
Which I can see, but wasn't what I was asking them about. Fix your damn bugs Motorola.
The way she was talking on the 'callback' was kinda irritating. Like I was trying to get them to pay up. Just fix the phone bugs already. I got it for free on contract, but am now using z3c. I'm just not happy because I lost a lot of holiday pictures!! Own up and take details of the memory card etc to fix compatibility issues.. Just smh at customer service.
And breathe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom