• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, does anyone have any information or forums/FAQs for Androidx86?

The Project page doesn't answer some of the questions I have, chiefly concerning dual boot and app compatibility.

Does it support fast dual boot? Certain Dual-boot devices demoed would hibernate Windows 7/8 and boot Androidx86 but I'm curious as to if it has had a wider release or even sleep instead of hibernate. I also heard that Androidx86 has had problems putting PCs to sleep or hibernation and wonder if it's been sorted out.

Also, now that more and more tablets are x86 based, I'm assuming that app store compatibility has been better?

My desktop specs: i5 2500, ASRock 81M Mobo, 4GB RAM (Because I took some of it out to put in another system I built), no GPU though I am not sure what GPUs Android x86 is compatible with anyway (If anyone knows where to look this up also, I'd be grateful!)

Thanks and sorry for not talking about current events.

Drifters

Hey guys, does anyone have any information or forums/FAQs for Androidx86?

The Project page doesn't answer some of the questions I have, chiefly concerning dual boot and app compatibility.

Does it support fast dual boot? Certain Dual-boot devices demoed would hibernate Windows 7/8 and boot Androidx86 but I'm curious as to if it has had a wider release or even sleep instead of hibernate. I also heard that Androidx86 has had problems putting PCs to sleep or hibernation and wonder if it's been sorted out.

Also, now that more and more tablets are x86 based, I'm assuming that app store compatibility has been better?

My desktop specs: i5 2500, ASRock 81M Mobo, 4GB RAM (Because I took some of it out to put in another system I built), no GPU though I am not sure what GPUs Android x86 is compatible with anyway (If anyone knows where to look this up also, I'd be grateful!)

Thanks and sorry for not talking about current events.
So you're wanting to dual boot not run in a VM? Seems like as long as you've got decent spec'ed hardware the thing should run. I actually run Android in a VM at work for testing and haven't had any issues with sleep, play store or anything really for that matter.

Drifters

Motorola's Nexus 6 Pops Up On AT&T Site For $49.99 On Contract

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-will-be-coming-to-att-for-49-99-on-contract/

Edit: ^ And I never hit a GAFer but I'll shake the ish outta you
So basically Nexus something tomorrow or the internet will kill someone.

So you're wanting to dual boot not run in a VM? Seems like as long as you've got decent spec'ed hardware the thing should run. I actually run Android in a VM at work for testing and haven't had any issues with sleep, play store or anything really for that matter.

I'm sort of concerned about the 4GB. The 2500K should be able to churn through anything it can throw at it, right?

It's mostly going to be used as a media box anyway. I have an Android stick that works well for Slingbox, plex, Splashtop, and Youtube. I bought another TV when I moved and I have an extra PC. Perhaps I could get away with VM.

Jachaos

I don't know if this is the best place to ask for unbiased answers as I haven't really followed this thread at all, but I have an iPhone 4S and am going to upgrade to either the iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3 Compact.

I know the Z3 has better battery life, storage and is waterproof. It is also less expensive, though by how much in Canada remains to be seen. I have a PS4 so remote play could be cool, but I also have a Vita and a 3DS. On the iPhone 6 side, I really like having the continuity between my phone and my Mac, iMessage and Find my iPhone with the family's phones. The fingerprint scanner seems like a nice touch too. I don't really know anything about how well NFC payments will be supported in Canada but that could be cool I guess, though on the mobile payment front we're so far behind countries like Japan that I'm not really focusing on that right now. I also have an AppleTV, but nowadays I mostly stream movies from my Mac, I don't mirror my iPhone much. I also have a PS3 and 360 so DLNA works on that front. Now here's the rest of the things I'm considering during this decision:

Durability (reviews seem inconsistent on which will better survive a drop test)
Camera (photo and video)
Display
Resale value
2 years worth of support (OS updates, etc.)
App Support
Performance (haven't found benchmarks comparing the two yet)

Which of these are in favour of one or the other?

NotBacon

I don't know if this is the best place to ask for unbiased answers as I haven't really followed this thread at all, but I have an iPhone 4S and am going to upgrade to either the iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3 Compact.

I know the Z3 has better battery life, storage and is waterproof. It is also less expensive, though by how much in Canada remains to be seen. I have a PS4 so remote play could be cool, but I also have a Vita and a 3DS. On the iPhone 6 side, I really like having the continuity between my phone and my Mac, iMessage and Find my iPhone with the family's phones. The fingerprint scanner seems like a nice touch too. I don't really know anything about how well NFC payments will be supported in Canada but that could be cool I guess, though on the mobile payment front we're so far behind countries like Japan that I'm not really focusing on that right now. I also have an AppleTV, but nowadays I mostly stream movies from my Mac, I don't mirror my iPhone much. I also have a PS3 and 360 so DLNA works on that front. Now here's the rest of the things I'm considering during this decision:

Camera (photo and video)
Display
Resale value
App Support

You'll be happy either way. And you'd find a lot of things you love in iOS have an equivalent in Android.

Obviously get the Z3

tzare

Camera (photo and video)
Display
Resale value
App Support

I would pick the z3c if it was for me, as i think is the better package overall, but if you seem more of an apple guy so buy iphone 6

kehs

Banned

Camera (photo and video)
Display
Resale value
App Support

I dropped mine two days into owning on a rock, and slid another coral rock. There's a crack, but everything else still works.

Love the screen, has built in white balance control. Mine was a little warm at first.

App support, it's running 444 kitkat so it'll have apps working with it for a while. Some sites are saying it won't get the new android release until february. (i think that's bs).

The camera I really haven't tested much, but everything I've taken looks good. The sony skin and added features are great, a little too much apps in the drawer though.

Jachaos

You'll be happy either way. And you'd find a lot of things you love in iOS have an equivalent in Android.

Obviously get the Z3

About that, is there a cross-platform app that would let me and iPhone users have each other's location and send an alert with high-volume (preferably that bypasses the mute switch, but I'm guessing that's a no-no on iPhone)? Because other than some of those Apple ecosystem features and the camera, I'm heavily leaning on the Z3 side.

Also, is there voice-command to set up an alarm clock? Because almost every night I go "Wake up me up at __ a.m.". I'm pretty sure there is, but just in case.

tzare

I dropped mine two days into owning on a rock, and slid another coral rock. There's a crack, but everything else still works.

Love the screen, has built in white balance control. Mine was a little warm at first.

App support, it's running 444 kitkat so it'll have apps working with it for a while. Some sites are saying it won't get the new android release until february. (i think that's bs).

The camera I really haven't tested much, but everything I've taken looks good. The sony skin and added features are great, a little too much apps in the drawer though.
If worried about too much apps in the drawer, choose own order on app drawer on sony' UI by swiping left, and you can use folders in the app drawer too

Mindwipe

Camera (photo and video)
Display
Resale value
App Support

I've pretty much been in the same boat as you, having had an iPhone as my daily driver for five years and switched to a Z3C last week. I'm happy with my decision, but I had been using an Android tablet full time for last few years so there wasn't too much of a culture shock.

But on some of your specific questions -

I'm using 1Password for password management, but I miss Touch ID and I think it's something Google really needs to up their game on. Password Management isn't as robust as it's become with iOS8 extensions either.

I really don't think Apple Pay will even launch outside the US in the next two years, so I think it's a non-issue. Non-US countries don't have the rampant security problems the US does with credit card processing so there's much less incentive for banks to co-operate and prioritise it.

I suspect the Z3C is significantly more robust, but the lack of Sony Stores with servicing will make it a lot harder to get it fixed if you do kill it. I'd get a protector or a case for the rear glass though.

I think the Chromecast shits all over Apple TV as a mirroring solution, even when you're running iOS TBH.

The camera is as good as the one on my iPhone 5 certainly, in every area except for focus speed and reliability, which is worse. It's not a crippling problem, but it's not ideal. As a counter, a dedicated hardware camera button is great and something I've said iOS needed for some time, and the front facing camera is better than the one on my iPhone 5.

The Z3C does need a bit of work out of the box - I needed to replace the launcher, and there's a bunch of cruft to delete and disable (but by and large you can get rid of it).

You can replace a fair amount of what Continuity does with Pushbullet, though annoyingly there's no native Mac client yet.

The display is pretty comparable to the iPhone 5 IMO, but the battery life shits all over it. I never tried a 6 to see if it'd be better in practice.

I never used iMessage on iOS as SMSes are effectively free outside of North America and iMessage is a terrible protocol, so I can't tell you if you'll miss it. Likewise "Find my Friends." I'm sure there will be some Android equivalent, but it might not be what your friends use.

Also, is there voice-command to set up an alarm clock? Because almost every night I go "Wake up me up at __ a.m.". I'm pretty sure there is, but just in case.

Yup, you just tell Google Now to do it.

How long does it usually take Google to make the announced update available OTA for their Nexus devices?

I really don't want to flash my phone and get all the data wiped.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm using 1Password for password management, but I miss Touch ID and I think it's something Google really needs to up their game on. Password Management isn't as robust as it's become with iOS8 extensions either.
This is primarily Agilebit's (developer of 1Password) fault to be fair. They pour all their resources and ingenuity into their iOS/Mac app (e.g. wasting time creating an in-app browser for their iOS app due to Apple's safari restrictions at the time) and don't care much about other platforms. Lastpass's Android password management was much more robust than 1Password/iOS8 extensions.

kehs

Banned
How long does it usually take Google to make the announced update available OTA for their Nexus devices?

I really don't want to flash my phone and get all the data wiped.

You can flash images without wiping your data, just do the system/boot images. Clear the cache, you'll get boot loops otherwise.

Quasar

This is primarily Agilebit's (developer of 1Password) fault to be fair. They pour all their resources and ingenuity into their iOS/Mac app (e.g. wasting time creating an in-app browser for their iOS app due to Apple's safari restrictions at the time) and don't care much about other platforms. Lastpass's Android password management was much more robust than 1Password/iOS8 extensions.

Yeah. Lastpass on android shits on pretty much everything else. Lastpass working with apps is a gamechanger imo.

markot

Banned
Last pass is great on windows too.

The stood thing is, with my note 3, enabling the pebble or last pass in the accessibility thing pretty much disables all the note 3 features....

Evleaks still dropping fire:

Bz6NAHjCMAAYUs0.png
UGH I need to know what's on the second page of that homescreen so I can update my default layout in my custom PA source.

Every new phone is the best. Reviews: Moto X, best android phone available. Note 4: Wow much phone, best available.

lol. Nexus 6 reviews will be funny.

Doesn't make touchwiz any less garbage.

Hopefully Sammy learns from this and incorporates the good things into the S6. Metallic sides, good battery, less bloated touch Wiz, and an amazing camera.

Edit: You do have a point there pyro. Although I knew the reviewers were full of crap when they called the moto X best phone available.

Hasney

Pity Samsung gave me such a shit service when my phone stopped working and the same thing with my TV. Horrible company to deal with in that respect, or I'd consider it reading those.

Hopefully Sammy learns from this and incorporates the good things into the S6. Metallic sides, good battery, less bloated touch Wiz, and an amazing camera.

Edit: You do have a point there pyro. Although I knew the reviewers were full of crap when they called the moto X best phone available.

Uhh.. None of the reviews he just posted say anything about the note 4 being the best phone or android phone available.

TxdoHawk

Welcome to mature markets. We are getting to the point where it will be more remarkable when a new phone isn't fantastic, and that's a good thing.

I just hope this trend of refinement over revolution continues, the next stop on this train would preferably be battery life concerns.

I just hope the N6 has a great battery and camera. We know everything else is going to be fantastic.

Same hope, personally. I would even settle for a mediocre camera. I just want a big phablet running pure Android L with gobs of battery life.

Same. I can't remember the last time I even used the camera on my phone.

I do use mine quite a bit, but it's always for work stuff like "let's just take a snap of this 12-digit serial number so I don't have to stand here squinting at it while I copy it down", so my quality requirements are pretty low. If I can get a relatively sharp shot of black text on a white/silver background, I'm good.

Welcome to mature markets. We are getting to the point where it will be more remarkable when a new phone isn't fantastic, and that's a good thing.

I just hope this trend of refinement over revolution continues, the next stop on this train would preferably be battery life concerns.
After that the next innovation is to be introduced by another company that will blow minds.

Furyous

Android GAF:

I am now one of you as I impulse purchased an LG G3. What are some things I should do when this device arrives outside of rooting, getting rid of Carrier IQ/bloatware, using a new launcher, setting up an iOS status bar, and installing IFTTT?

Does Final Fantasy 8 work on this device? I am not asking if it is technically possible to play Final Fantasy 8 on this device but not requesting any help in procuring said game even remotely.

My stay might be short but we'll see how long this adventure in Android land lasts. Amazon has a solid one month return policy.

The Note 4 has a 3220mAh battery with a 5.7", QHD display, and the reviews say it has good battery life. If the N6 actually does a 3200mAh battery or whatever, with a slightly larger QHD display, this really should be the first nexus phone with good battery life.

Hasney

I do use mine quite a bit, but it's always for work stuff like "let's just take a snap of this 12-digit serial number so I don't have to stand here squinting at it while I copy it down", so my quality requirements are pretty low. If I can get a relatively sharp shot of black text on a white/silver background, I'm good.

Haha, just reminded me when I used mine last time... Reading gas and electric meters. Fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom