• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Cannot get my head around the 10 getting lollipop and not the 4, both released at the same time and a fan port of the l preview works flawlessly on the 4 while the 10 has massive performance issues in KitKat! Wtf google?

$649? Yeah this was definitely a Silver device repurposed as a Nexus.

Dammit, Google. I almost had enough mturk money to get the Nexus at the price I thought it was gonna launch at ($349).

Nexus 6 will drop in price fast. No one will buy one off contract. Of course this might be Google's agreement to get support from the telecoms.

j-wood

I'm really thinking about jumping now to the Z3 on T-Mobile. I can't justify getting a Nexus 6 and 9 with them being so close in size.

To those that have a Z3, how is the size of the screen? Right now I have an LG G3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
THE NEXUS 4 IS OFFICIALLY GETTING ANDROID L

They fucked up on the website, but already posted on G+ they are fixing the omission.

On a side note Project Denver gonna come so hard in the paint Qualcomm might be legit shook till the end of time. Based Nvidia gonna show Qualcomm how it's really done while Qualcomm took a year off to fuck around.

Vanillalite

One Plus must be so happy. Google fucked up. No one will buy a Nexus 6.

In theory it'll sell even better if it's actually on all carriers.

The kicker people around here still don't understand is in the US at least everyone and their mother still buys phones on contract. I'm not saying it's SMART. I'm just saying what's actually happening.

Mindwipe

It'll be interesting to see how much of L the likes of Sony import into their design.

Hopefully a lot of the dialer, because that looks a lot better...

Oh yeah, and I really, really hope that the Nexus 7 gets double tap to wake and it's not just the 6 & 9...

In theory it'll sell even better if it's actually on all carriers.

The kicker people around here still don't understand is in the US at least everyone and their mother still buys phones on contract. I'm not saying it's SMART. I'm just saying what's actually happening.

Why do I feel like the price is that high because since both the Moto X and Nexus 6 are made by Motorola, they didn't want the Nexus 6 undercutting its own product?

Sony, could you update your icons to match Android L? It makes the ui look inconsistent. That Nexus 6 price is steep, but I have the money to get it. Now it's the Nexus 6, Droid Turbo( please come unlocked) , and the Z3. Things are getting real interesting.

Sony, could you update your icons to match Android L? It makes the ui look inconsistent. That Nexus 6 price is steep, but I have the money to get it. Now it's the Nexus 6, Droid Turbo( please come unlocked) , and the Z3. Things are getting real interesting.

If you have Verizon, keep in the mind, the Z3v is basically a Z2 body and battery with the internals of a Z3. Very stupid...

j-wood

I know man. Right now I'm leaning towards the Z3. Can anyone comment on how the Sony skin is?

kharma45

I know man. Right now I'm leaning towards the Z3. Can anyone comment on how the Sony skin is?

Lots on here like it but I wasn't a fan when I had it. Rather ugly and I don't like a lot of the changes they've made, like when you swipe up for Google Now they've their own addition in there too.

kharma45

So, at least £500 in UK? May have to go Z3 then.

Yep I can't see it being a penny less than £500. Direct conversion with VAT included comes to £492. That's before taking into account importing it and the usual higher price we have to pay anyway for items.

kehs

Banned
Fucking shamu.
KuGsj.gif

If you have Verizon, keep in the mind, the Z3v is basically a Z2 body and battery with the internals of a Z3. Very stupid...
I don't have Verizon. That's precisely why I want the rumors of a different version of the Droid Turbo to be true.
I don't think the ui looks bad. The problem is that Sony seems to want a unified ecosystem among their products. Android L(olipop) icons look very nice. Sony's icon is distracting when mixed with Material Design.
Lots on here like it but I wasn't a fan when I had it. Rather ugly and I don't like a lot of the changes they've made, like when you swipe up for Google Now they've their own addition in there too.
Yeah, Sony adding their own addition is quite silly.

Mindwipe

That's dumb but you can turn it off.

Generally speaking the Sony skin is of a benefit, but there's a few dunderheaded decisions. And it doesn't do much to fix some of the bits that aren't super good in stock right now, like contacts or the SMS app. Those look different, but not better.

jesalr

Yep I can't see it being a penny less than £500. Direct conversion with VAT included comes to £492. That's before taking into account importing it and the usual higher price we have to pay anyway for items.

Yep, considering the Z3 is £515 on Clove, it looks like the best phone to get for UK buyers.

Vanillalite

God I can't wait to see the N9 benchmarks. Shit could be stuff of legends in the Android world.

I'm just worried it's gonna be too good, but we are stuck with the already laid out Qualcomm road map which will end up in most of the phones we buy. Then I'm just gonna be salty all next year until Qualcomm can readjust.

Benedict

How do the specs/price of N9 compare of similar tablets?
Want to upgrade my Nexus 7 (2012), that has been in to service three, four times.

SDK in two days and yes, no 5.0 for the Nexus 4.

Android 5.0 Lollipop, which comes on Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player, will also be available on Nexus 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices in the coming weeks.

Google updated the blog post and they mention the Nexus 4 now. Good on them. If would've been shitty if they had pulled another Galaxy Nexus.

sdijoseph

Google updated the blog post and they mention the Nexus 4 now. Good on them. If would've been shitty if they had pulled another Galaxy Nexus.

Yes I believe the reason they didn't update the GNex to KitKat was because it used a TI OMAP processor, and TI no longer makes mobile processors.

kehs

Banned
A range of new professional photography features for Android Lollipop that let you
Capture full resolution frames around 30 fps
Support raw formats like YUV and Bayer RAW
Control capture settings for the sensor, lens, and flash per individual frame
Capture metadata like noise models and optical information

I can smell the moto x camera redemption.

Vanillalite

How do the specs/price of N9 compare of similar tablets?
Want to upgrade my Nexus 7 (2012), that has been in to service three, four times.

There isn't an Android tablet under the sun with this chipset. It's totally cutting edge chipset combo from Nvidia. The current best tablet is actually the current Nvidia tablet. This is the next generation 64 bit version of that chipset wise in the HTC Built Nexus 9 tablet.

Prepared to be amazed.

Furyous

I'm just so sad right now because the N6 is a bigger Moto X with 64 GB of storage. Why does Motorola have beef with SD Card slots? Who in the shit thought a 5.96 screen was a good idea? They could've decreased the screen size and added more to the device IMHO. The only good things about this phone, today, are the 805 and the camera. ART on the 805 should score high on benchmark tests.

I need more info about Android L now that am a part of Google's smartphone worldwide dominance. How much of a performance boost should I expect on the LG G3? When is it coming out for the LG G3?

I'm just so sad right now because the N6 is a bigger Moto X with 64 GB of storage. Why does Motorola have beef with SD Card slots? Who in the shit thought a 5.96 screen was a good idea? They could've decreased the screen size and added more to the device IMHO. The only good things about this phone, today, are the 805 and the camera. ART on the 805 should score high on benchmark tests.

I need more info about Android L now that am a part of Google's smartphone worldwide dominance. How much of a performance boost should I expect on the LG G3? When is it coming out for the LG G3?

If previous posts here are anything to go by, expect a 2x better battery life.

Or was that just for the Moto X? I can't remember.

Zeppu

This was all pretty underwhelming. No preorders, very scarce details, no prepared reviews released instantaneously, not even updated SDK and updated developer page with a rundown of everything that's new.

Last year a bunch of app updates were rolling out as well by this time.

Vanillalite

Wish we could get a new blog post from Nvidia talking about the Nexus 9 chipset in detail or at least another one of their whitepapers like they've released before.

I'm very far in a game I play on my phone, but the game doesn't have Google Play Games support.

How can I keep this game save and transfer it to my new phone that I'm getting friday?

Toki767

Think I might have to go with an iPad mini over a Nexus 9. Kind of wish they refreshed the Nexus 7 line with the new chip.

Same with the Nexus 5 for that matter.

Vanillalite

Think I might have to go with an iPad mini over a Nexus 9. Kind of wish they refreshed the Nexus 7 line with the new chip.

Same with the Nexus 5 for that matter.

In theory the reason to go with the iPad/mini was the better hardware, but it appears this time you're getting as good if not potentially better hardware along with Android L in the N9.

The N9 is a premium device with a ultra high res screen and a beast of a chipset coupled with all of the differences Android now L has over iOS 8. There isn't anything more premium about the Mini over the N9 now. You're literally just getting the Apple ecosystem (which is a whole different debate) along with iOS8 if you like that over Android L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom