• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the initial shock left I still want the phone but instead of just buying it out right I'm going to have to just get it on att

Seems like a bad move to be locked on contract for 2 years when 64 bit processors are coming in a few months. Nexus don't really keep good resale value either.

SimleuqiR

Hangouts SMS (which will be sticking around) integration isn't as quick, clean, and easy as Google hoped it would be, and users haven't reacted positively to it. The branding probably hasn't helped adoption, either.

But they are right.
"Hangouts" as a web base service makes sense. As a mobile app is a bit confusing.
People still don't understand is NOT like iMessage..."Why can't I see my text messages on the PC?" "Why do I need another number for that?" Etc.

After the initial shock left I still want the phone but instead of just buying it out right I'm going to have to just get it on att

Don't you end up paying more for the phone, on contract, in the long run?
Why not just buy it outright?

Toki767

At this rate, they may as well just make Hangouts some open source thing that other app developers can add to their messaging apps.

thespot84

But they are right.
"Hangouts" as a web base service makes sense. As a mobile app is a bit confusing.
People still don't understand is NOT like iMessage..."Why can't I see my text messages on the PC?" "Why do I need another number for that?" Etc.

That's what moto connect is for

Hasney

I also prefer my Hangouts and SMS separate. Noone I know uses Hangouts anyway so I quite often send something to someone at their Google account by accident and I get unlimited SMS, so may as well use it.

This is probably to sidestep the wrath of the carriers. Just think about it - Hangouts offers multiplatform messaging, video and voice calling over wifi and data. If they had made that default the carriers would never let the device sit in their stores, because it would get in the way of their own offerings. So instead they update the AOSP messaging app and shove that in as the default, and has Hangouts as an "option."

It's the one thing I've never understood about Google. Apple was able to pull off not losing carrier support with iMessage and FaceTime (iMessage obviously allows messaging with using carriers for texts, and FaceTime has audio calling over WiFi and cellular) yet Google has never seemed to be able to muster up the same kind of deal with carriers.

It's the one thing I've never understood about Google. Apple was able to pull off not losing carrier support with iMessage and FaceTime (iMessage obviously allows messaging with using carriers for texts, and FaceTime has audio calling over WiFi and cellular) yet Google has never seemed to be able to muster up the same kind of deal with carriers.
that's because carriers need apple. Apple has all the leverage. Being the carrier without the iphone is like a death sentence.

Cheebo

Banned
Apple has far more leverage. iPhone as a individual hardware line dwarfs any one android hardware line in US sales don't forget. Android as a OS combined doesn't help a Motorola for example in their deals.

If a carrier doesn't carry Motorola or HTC or even Samsung consumers would just get another android phone. There is no other iPhone.

Blackhead

Redarse

that's because carriers need apple. Apple has all the leverage. Being the carrier without the iphone is like a death sentence.

Apple has far more leverage. iPhone as a individual hardware line dwarfs any one android hardware line in US sales don't forget. Android as a OS combined doesn't help a Motorola for example in their deals.

To be fair, Apple doesn't always get their way over the carriers. FaceTime was initially only over WiFi for the first two/three years. Apple WiFi hotspot still requires a carrier approved data plan etc...

Quasar

What kind of storage does Nexus Player have or is it all streaming, like Chromecast, where you another hardware?

It has some storage. You install apps on it.

No Ethernet makes me sad. Otherwise unless there's a new Appletv tomorrow with an app store I'm buying one.

EDIT: Apparently 8 GB which I guess is enough for a bunch of tv apps. And it does have a micro usb for I guess more storage.

Let's not act as if the Nexus devices were shit before.

Wait, what? Nexus devices were good before? With their tiny batteries, shit cameras, poor build quality, tiny internal storage of 8 GB (LOL) and 16 GB? I'm sorry, nobody ever thought Nexus devices had good hardware. People suffered through them because they loved stock Android more than usable hardware. But now Google has decided Nexus will have flagship-class hardware in it, and that's great. Nexus 6 is a device that owners of Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc. flagships would actually look twice at in the store.

Quasar

Wait, what? Nexus devices were good before? With their tiny batteries, shit cameras, poor build quality, tiny internal storage of 8 GB (LOL) and 16 GB? I'm sorry, nobody ever thought Nexus devices had good hardware. People suffered through them because they loved stock Android more than usable hardware. But now Google has decided Nexus will have flagship-class hardware in it, and that's great. It's a device that owners of Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc. flagships would actually look twice at in the store.

Well I don't think I've suffered with my N4. Except battery life as it has aged. I felt it was good affordable hardware, and hardware with prompt and long lasting os support.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Wait, what? Nexus devices were good before? With their tiny batteries, shit cameras, poor build quality, tiny internal storage of 8 GB (LOL) and 16 GB? I'm sorry, nobody ever thought Nexus devices had good hardware. People suffered through them because they loved stock Android more than usable hardware. But now Google has decided Nexus will have flagship-class hardware in it, and that's great. Nexus 6 is a device that owners of Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc. flagships would actually look twice at in the store.

Generalize a little more.

Now that this disappointment is over we can begin the road to 2015 devices!

- Samsung promises new materials and designs. Their sales have plummited and they risk HTC territory. Will be interesting to see how they react especially in terms of touchwiz, the constant knock against them.

- The One Plus 2. The first effort was good but this one could solidify it. Possibly a smaller one (they mentioned it in their AMA) Q2/Q3 2015

- Speaking of the above, is this the year more chinese manufacturers release in NA with high end phones at cheap prices? It's not if but when

- HTC. High Tech Computer Corporation. Will they scrap phones altogether finally, or give it another go with an all new design similar to selfie phone.

- Motorola. Will they motorola? Bigger phone with smaller battery yet again? More moto G/X/E.

- Google. The silver program or something similar is probably the future of nexus. Or do they take the backlash and go back to their roots.

- LG. Literally everyone here can picture the G4 in their heads. Will the G4 mini be gimped?

- Sony. Will they discover what it means to release a phone on a reasonable schedule and get better updates? Probably not.

- Will phones get larger and larger or will one of them release a top device with top specs but smaller size. Probably Sony for this.

Get hyped? Or not. I don't know.

Does anyone know how the Nexus 5 camera compares with the iPhone 5 camera.

Thinking about just getting the 5 for now till prices come down a bit but can't find any comparisons between the two as I currently have a 5 and don't mind the quality of the camera.

Definitely feel my iPhone 5 is too small but not sure whether a slightly bigger phone + tablet is a better bet or a phone that may as well be a tablet. (Not going to say the p word)

Good point

Correct but I don't have 650 to drop at one time :

At $400 it would have been fine because keeping it until March or April or whenever and selling it probably would have lost you at most $50. At $650, I'm going to assume in 6 months it would sell for, at most, $450. $200 is too big of a loss.

Thinking about just getting the 5 for now till prices come down a bit but can't find any comparisons between the two as I currently have a 5 and don't mind the quality of the camera.

Definitely feel my iPhone 5 is too small but not sure whether a slightly bigger phone + tablet is a better bet or a phone that may as well be a tablet. (Not going to say the p word)
no nexus camera is anywhere near iphone level. And I've had a nexus 5! It's serviceable and good with a lot of light. Otherwise....average.

Thanks, one thing I need is a good camera in my phone, shame as it looked solid otherwise.
it's still a great phone but yeah the camera leaves a lot to be desired. Battery is also average. Other than that it's still one of the best android phones out there. But yeah if it doesn't fit what you want I wouldn't bother.

How can I get ahold of the idiot at google that thought it was a good idea to build a new messenger app.

The iMessage community is the number 1 selling point of iPhones.

This is not going to get more users on hangouts.

Jzero

I don't remember how it worked last time. Do current devices get Android L at the same time as the Nexus 6 releases or a few weeks after?

Edit: by current devices i meant Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's what moto connect is for

Wow, you just solved this issue for every Android user in the world! Amazing! Oh wait, that's right, not everyone has a Moto phone. In fact, I know nobody who does. They are pretty much a non-entity outside the US, a bit in the same way as Sony Mobile has been in the US up until recently.

It's nice that Moto offers this service for their customers, but Google really needs a solution for this built right into Android. Or at least as part of Hangouts. They have the cross-platform service, it handles SMS/MMS on the phone side, now all they need to do is sync that shit over the service so I can reply to texts from my PC (or any other device that can run the Hangouts service). But no, now they've decided to go back on all this by introducing a new stand-alone SMS/MMS app, for some godforsaken reason. I really don't get that. I can only hope that the actual plan is to scrap Hangouts alltogether and build the service into the new app instead. I always thought it was a bit silly to call the main texting app Hangouts anyway, since that name came from the G+ chat service. It should just be called Messaging/Messenger, and it should handle everything that makes sense.

But oh well. Until then I'll just keep using one of the many great 3rd party solutions available for texting from my PC.

Yes, they were good before. The N4 was good. The N5 was great. Amazing, even, considering its price. Yes, the battery and camera are average (not shit), and you can argue that 16GB isn't enough storage (it is for me though, and otherwise there's also the 32GB model), but other than that it was very much top-of-the-line when it was launched. The best SOC you could get at the time (S800), 2GB RAM, great 1080p display (even if it is an LCD), wireless charging, etc. It was absolutely a flagship, even if a few parts weren't the best they could be. But what so called flagship has absolutely zero flaws? And the build quality isn't poor at all. If we were talking about the GNex I would agree, that phone felt plasticky and cheap as hell. But not the N5. It's a very solid phone that feels great to hold, with sweet soft-touch plastic on the back that really gives it a sense of quality. It really doesn't feel like a plastic phone at all. The Samsung flagships you mention feel so, so much cheaper.

So no, I have definitely not "suffered through" owning a Nexus 5. It's great, and its few flaws are nowhere near bad enough for me to even consider subjecting myself to the shitty software experiences provided by certain other OEMs.

no nexus camera is anywhere near iphone level. And I've had a nexus 5! It's serviceable and good with a lot of light. Otherwise....average.

Yeah, pretty much this. If the lighting is good it takes great pictures. If the lighting is poor though, yeah, it's very average. But it's not at all as all-around shitty as some people would have you believe.

I don't remember how it worked last time. Do current devices get Android L at the same time as the Nexus 6 releases or a few weeks after?

Edit: by current devices i meant Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013)

I looked into this earlier, and the N4 seems to have received the 4.4 update about two weeks after the N5 was launched. But that time the N5 was made available for pre-order the same day it was officially announced, which isn't the case this time. So who knows!

Furyous

- Samsung promises new materials and designs. Their sales have plummited and they risk HTC territory. Will be interesting to see how they react especially in terms of touchwiz, the constant knock against them.

- The One Plus 2. The first effort was good but this one could solidify it. Possibly a smaller one (they mentioned it in their AMA) Q2/Q3 2015

- Speaking of the above, is this the year more chinese manufacturers release in NA with high end phones at cheap prices? It's not if but when

- HTC. High Tech Computer Corporation. Will they scrap phones altogether finally, or give it another go with an all new design similar to selfie phone.

- Motorola. Will they motorola? Bigger phone with smaller battery yet again? More moto G/X/E.

- Google. The silver program or something similar is probably the future of nexus. Or do they take the backlash and go back to their roots.

- LG. Literally everyone here can picture the G4 in their heads. Will the G4 mini be gimped?

- Sony. Will they discover what it means to release a phone on a reasonable schedule and get better updates? Probably not.

- Will phones get larger and larger or will one of them release a top device with top specs but smaller size. Probably Sony for this.

Samsung loses ground to another OEM in the USA in 2015. HTC turned a $21 million profit off the M8. Next year they can take some market share from Samsung. All Motorola needs to do in 2015 is release the G/X/E with an SD card slot because those phones are perfect for the average consumer's needs. Fuck Sony's release schedule. The Z5/C/V will be out and everyone that bought Z4 could feel like a beta tester.

Next year is the return of the 4 to 5.2 inch smartphone. I can't take another year of 5.5 to 6 inch phones unless they are built like the G3.

All I want out of a G4 is two speakers on the back, the 810, same resolution, 3600 Mah battery, and one more inch of a viewable space. That's worth iphone 6S 16 GB money.

Toki767

Samsung loses ground to another OEM in the USA in 2015. HTC turned a $21 million profit off the M8. Next year they can take some market share from Samsung. All Motorola needs to do in 2015 is release the G/X/E with an SD card slot because those phones are perfect for the average consumer's needs. Fuck Sony's release schedule. The Z5/C/V will be out and everyone that bought Z4 could feel like a beta tester.

Next year is the return of the 4 to 5.2 inch smartphone. I can't take another year of 5.5 to 6 inch phones unless they are built like the G3.

All I want out of a G4 is two speakers on the back, the 810, same resolution, 3600 Mah battery, and one more inch of a viewable space. That's worth iphone 6S 16 GB money.

You want a 6.5" phone? The hell man.

I expect the G4 to have even thinner bezels than the G3 at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if LG include a fingerprint reader right where the power button is too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All I want out of a G4 is two speakers on the back ...

Speakers on the back sucks. Can't hear shit when you put the phone down next to you in bed to watch some YouTube videos before going to sleep. Or even when you're just holding the phone a lot of the time. Awful! Speakers need to be either on the front or the top/bottom.

Furyous

You want a 6.5" phone? The hell man.

I expect the G4 to have even thinner bezels than the G3 at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if LG include a fingerprint reader right where the power button is too.

I worded that the wrong way. The LG G3 has a screen ratio of 76.4 percent which could increase by one inch in the G4. LG G3 should follow HTC and release practically the same phone with new internals. Does the Android platform need the inclusion of fingerprint scanners?

I worded that the wrong way. The LG G3 has a screen ratio of 76.4 percent which could increase by one inch in the G4. LG G3 should follow HTC and release practically the same phone with new internals. Does the Android platform need the inclusion of fingerprint scanners?

Samsung added it so LG can't be far behind.

One Plus has me spoiled. Next year I bet the come out with a phone with a Snapdragon 810 and 3 or 4GB ram with a QHD screen for $349 again. If you look at the specs they put in this year's phone it's really a realistic possibility.

Toki767

Watch a video of the fingerprint scanner for the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (or 8, whichever the newest one is). Unlocking on it trumps the iPhone's Touch ID, though it seems it isn't as accurate.

Watch a video of the fingerprint scanner for the Huawei Ascend Mate 7 (or 8, whichever the newest one is). Unlocking on it trumps the iPhone's Touch ID, though it seems it isn't as accurate.
I've seen you say this a few times but how is it better? I watched a video and I'm not seeing it. Accuracy is kind of a big deal on the other hand. I don't want to make it seem like I'm disagreeing with you, i'm genuinely curious.

This is the video I watched - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZDbWwJ7Q4

Toki767

I've seen you say this a few times but how is it better? I watched a video and I'm not seeing it. Accuracy is kind of a big deal on the other hand. I don't want to make it seem like I'm disagreeing with you, i'm genuinely curious.

This is the video I watched - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZDbWwJ7Q4

Biggest difference is that the screen doesn't need to be on. In essence the lockscreen is skipped entirely.

I'm sure the better OEMs could probably get Touch ID like accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom