• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

If previous posts here are anything to go by, expect a 2x better battery life.

Or was that just for the Moto X? I can't remember.

This sold Android L to me. Hopefully LG G3 releases this before November 17th because I've got one month to test drive this device.

Toki767

This sold Android L to me. Hopefully LG G3 releases this before November 17th because I've got one month to test drive this device.

Probably not until next year.

In theory the reason to go with the iPad/mini was the better hardware, but it appears this time you're getting as good if not potentially better hardware along with Android L in the N9.

The N9 is a premium device with a ultra high res screen and a beast of a chipset coupled with all of the differences Android now L has over iOS 8. There isn't anything more premium about the Mini over the N9 now. You're literally just getting the Apple ecosystem (which is a whole different debate) along with iOS8 if you like that over Android L.

For a variety of reasons, app ecosystem being one of them. Screen size being smaller leading to an overall smaller device being another. I feel like iOS for tablets and Android for phones is the best way to go.

In theory the reason to go with the iPad/mini was the better hardware, but it appears this time you're getting as good if not potentially better hardware along with Android L in the N9.

The N9 is a premium device with a ultra high res screen and a beast of a chipset coupled with all of the differences Android now L has over iOS 8. There isn't anything more premium about the Mini over the N9 now. You're literally just getting the Apple ecosystem (which is a whole different debate) along with iOS8 if you like that over Android L.
iPad has a shitton of tablet apps. There's that.

Doopliss

I'm very far in a game I play on my phone, but the game doesn't have Google Play Games support.

How can I keep this game save and transfer it to my new phone that I'm getting friday?
Helium should work if you have a computer to connect to. I'm not sure if there are other options unless your phone is rooted.

Donos

Will probably drown with the nexus stuff but HTC just updated the Dot View App. You can now controll the player with it. Also some other things are now enabled for third party apps.

Google is delusional with these offerings or they simply just don't care any more. Those are my actual thoughts.

Companies like one plus are probably doing jumping jacks. Time for the chinese invasion.

kehs

Banned
Google is delusional with these offerings or they simply just don't care any more. Those are my actual thoughts.

Companies like one plus are probably doing jumping jacks. Time for the chinese invasion.

Larry page chasing that Apple $$$.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt jumps ship within the next six months.

Larry page chasing that Apple $$$.
always fails. If samsung is barely doing it anymore with their huge drops, this doesn't even stand the smallest chance. You had an audience and got greedy.

Ah well what can ya do. The nexus 9 is disappointing too. At 399 it's a different story but if people are spending 500 they'll get an ipad.

tzare

Not buying a 600€ smartphone. Guess i will keep my n5 for a while and go for note4 next year maybe.

Well, so this friday developer preview for n5, hopefully almost everything is fixed and i can use it for normal use

Motorola-Nexus-6-600x191.jpg

Plenty (millions) of iPhone users have and continue to do so. It's a lucrative market.

No one else can be Apple. They have a devout following of people that will buy whatever they put out. A damn Nexus phone isn't going to sell at $649. They will be $450-$499 within 3 months.

Zeppu

Googy is killing the Nexus phone program. Next year we'll get I/O Silver. Premium phones at exorbitant prices. The Chromebook Pixels of the Android world. All hail Duarte. Blessed be our prophet OP.

I think it's pretty obvious this phone was not originally a Nexus. It has a high end phone price and is available on all carriers. That screams Silver to me.

And is there no new video showing off L? What the hell, Google.

My current theory is that no one wanted to do a nexus phone this year and motorola said we'll do it on our terms and there you have it. And google took it because without a nexus device a new android update is bordering on laughable considering no one will see it.

edit: there's always the one plus 2 guys. That's the new hope.

My current theory is that no one wanted to do a nexus phone this year and motorola said we'll do it on our terms and there you have it. And google took it because without a nexus device a new android update is bordering on laughable considering no one will see it.

edit: there's always the one plus 2 guys. That's the new hope.
I could see that, but there is the N9 and they've launched a new version with only a tablet before. In fact, the N9 seems more designed for L than the N6. It even has a beast 64-bit processor. I think the N9 was always planned, and the N6 is here because Google decided at the last minute to have a phone as well.

Edit: I also think this will be the best selling Nexus just because it'll be available on contract for all the carriers.

Hasney

However, Sony are a shitty company who don't know how to develop software properly so it will probably be delayed by at least two months.

I wouldn't go as far to say they are shitty, at least on par with Samsung. That said, I really hope they follow through with their vanilla ROMs they mentioned to get out of the Sony software.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I could see that, but there is the N9 and they've launched a new version with only a tablet before. In fact, the N9 seems more designed for L than the N6. It even has a beast 64-bit processor. I think the N9 was always planned, and the N6 is here because Google decided at the last minute to have a phone as well.

Edit: I also think this will be the best selling Nexus just because it'll be available on contract for all the carriers.

I think it will be the best selling one and probably the last Nexus produced. Can't see OEMs excited about it anymore.

Google sez:

You say you want flagship specs? You gonna pay flagship price then!

I'm glad Google finally figured out that Nexus should be a flagship for Android instead of whatever shit it used to be. It should lead the way and show the OEMs how things should be.

It's a shame about the lack of SD card slot or I would seriously consider Nexus 6 instead of Note 4.

iavi

I felt stupid for getting an N5 on Tmobile's Jump for 200+ monthly payments vs the play store, but did it cause I was in the store and wanted the phone then an there.

Now I'm boughts to jump this bitch to the N6, and feeling like that was the best move ever. No way I'm paying the full 649 up front.

N6 here I come.

kehs

Banned

teiresias

Google sez:

You say you want flagship specs? You gonna pay flagship price then!

I'm glad Google finally figured out that Nexus should be a flagship for Android instead of whatever shit it used to be. It should lead the way and show the OEMs how things should be.

It's a shame about the lack of SD card slot or I would seriously consider Nexus 6 instead of Note 4.

Let's not act as if the Nexus devices were shit before.

Oh, and this Messenger/Hangouts crap is pure lunacy. Why create even more confusion when it comes to text SMS/MMS. I swear, Google is fucking clueless in this regard.

Groof

This is probably to sidestep the wrath of the carriers. Just think about it - Hangouts offers multiplatform messaging, video and voice calling over wifi and data. If they had made that default the carriers would never let the device sit in their stores, because it would get in the way of their own offerings. So instead they update the AOSP messaging app and shove that in as the default, and has Hangouts as an "option."

Nakazato

After the initial shock left I still want the phone but instead of just buying it out right I'm going to have to just get it on att

Well, at least the minimum storage on the N6 is 32GB finally. 16GB is no longer enough.

I think it will be the best selling one and probably the last Nexus produced. Can't see OEMs excited about it anymore.
I hope it's not the last one, but if it is, I hope they try the Silver thing again, or something. I just don't believe there will be no more phones with stock/Google Android other than Motorola phones.

Edit:
After the initial shock left I still want the phone but instead of just buying it out right I'm going to have to just get it on att
This is me too. I still want the phone, but I'm just gonna go the carrier route now. Either at&t or T-Mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom