• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

So... Things that people haven't really talked about the beloved Nexus 6 (now known as the N6 here on out)...
- Active notifications. The one thing about the Moto X that is going to quickly become a standard staple on phones. I bet Lollipop has some tweaks to how it runs as well.
- N6 is waterproof? The promo video shows it under water... Big deal? I think so.
- Boomsound equiv or better? I think Google finally woke up to the need for better speakers.
- Battery life and the 805 chipset. Seems as if we should easily get 2 days of usage out the beast, maybe one day with at least 6-7 he's screen time. Thoughts?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Since Android L is 64 bit wish companies would drop the quad core or octa core Qualcomm nonsense and focus on making two high clocked CPU cores for efficiency, battery, and mainly to solve the current TMP issues.

I'm willing to bet the Nexus 6 is fast, but gets throttled heavily because of the heat which could effect performance with all of those pixels.

Toki767

Isnt it the same for Apples version?

No, with Touch ID you need to be on the lockscreen. It doesn't go from screen off to unlock.

Since Android L is 64 bit wish companies would drop the quad core or octa core Qualcomm nonsense and focus on making two high clocked CPU cores for efficiency, battery, and mainly to solve the current TMP issues.

I'm willing to bet the Nexus 6 is fast, but gets throttled heavily because of the heat which could effect performance with all of those pixels.

All the OEMs (besides Samsung probably) are waiting for Qualcomm to get that Snapdragon 810 out to mass production for a 64-bit CPU. Though it is going to be an octa-core I guess.

No, with Touch ID you need to be on the lockscreen. It doesn't go from screen off to unlock.
Well, you wake the screen with the same button and just don't raise your finger. If you remove your finger after a second, it doesn't stop unlocking it, it still goes through. Granted there is a lag between that and getting to your home screen, but it is a lot faster on the newer phones and I bet it has something to do with going through many hi-res samples your print, which is where the accuracy comes from. I've seen you mention that they're really good with software when it comes to cameras, i'm welling to bet they're pretty good with touch id software too.

But I know what you're getting at, I just wouldn't say its better than touch id. Maybe different in ideologies between accuracy vs speed. Sorry if it seems like i'm here to argue against it!

It was one of the big things I missed when I was using the OnePlus One.

Toki767

Well, you wake the screen with the same button and just don't raise your finger. If you remove your finger after a second, it doesn't stop unlocking it, it still goes through. Granted there is a lag between that and getting to your home screen, but it is a lot faster on the newer phones and I bet it has something to do with going through many hi-res samples your print, which is where the accuracy comes from. I've seen you mention that they're really good with software when it comes to cameras, i'm welling to bet they're pretty good with touch id software too.

But I know what you're getting at, I just wouldn't say its better than touch id. Maybe different in ideologies between accuracy vs speed. Sorry if it seems like i'm here to argue against it!

It was one of the big things I missed when I was using the OnePlus One.
No worries. I'm just thinking the accuracy issue is more because of the scanner they chose to use. It seems like it's always running or touch sensitive which is nice. Touch ID is so much faster on the iPhone 6 than the 5S. Maybe not so much, but the difference is pretty noticeable to me.

NotBacon

So... Things that people haven't really talked about the beloved Nexus 6 (now known as the N6 here on out)...
- Active notifications. The one thing about the Moto X that is going to quickly become a standard staple on phones. I bet Lollipop has some tweaks to how it runs as well.
- N6 is waterproof? The promo video shows it under water... Big deal? I think so.
- Boomsound equiv or better? I think Google finally woke up to the need for better speakers.
- Battery life and the 805 chipset. Seems as if we should easily get 2 days of usage out the beast, maybe one day with at least 6-7 he's screen time. Thoughts?

My hype cannot be contained.

Where did you see active notifications? All I saw was always-listening Google Now.

The S805 is heavily optimized for beyond HD resolutions. Did any Note 4 reviews mention heat effecting performance?

iavi

The Nexus 6 looks like it may be the first 'perfect' android phone.

Super-sized battery.
Flag-ship specs.
Stereo front-facing speakers
Amoled
Stock Android

It's only downsides is that it is 6", or have a micro SD slot.

But if that's what it takes to get all that without Sammy's bullshit, I'll have it.

Groof

I wonder if the Nexus 5 will be getting double tap to wake now that it's supported at a system level. No reasons it shouldn't considering the G2 had it.

Also that Nexus 9 in sand is so sex...

iavi

I wonder if the Nexus 5 will be getting double tap to wake now that it's supported at a system level. No reasons it shouldn't considering the G2 had it.

The N5 should support tap to wake, AND the always listening google now. The snapdragon in it has the support

terrier

disappointed with n6 price, it is in the same price range as other flagships and while stock android is really a selling point, it is not enough when other devices may have extra features like note's 4 s pen or IR blaster and probably easier to buy with carriers.

Plus not sure if the right time to switch, since 64bit seems to be the next big thing and is around the corner.

The N5 should support tap to wake, AND the always listening google now. The snapdragon in it has the support

but unless i am wrong it seems that both n6 and n9 have custom DSP like moto X for alwaysl listening. Tap to wake should be a must , hopefully is enabled in android L for N5

Groof

I doubt it'll get always listening though. Knowing Google they'll probably omit both because whatever

Plus not sure if the right time to switch, since 64bit seems to be the next big thing and is around the corner.
This is exactly why I've decided on a Nexus 5+9 combo. The 5 for a decent intermediary phone and the 9 for improved tänkte experience and early 64-bit impressions.

PriitV

The screen module has to support dt2w natively as well. Flashing a kernel with dt2w enabled on a nexus 4 example pretty much kills the battery.

The N6 is suuuuure tempting. I wonder how that Sony camera lens is.

Too many damn phones coming out right now. I'm just trying to upgrade from my Note II people!

Double tap to wake and the glance screen are the features that I still miss the most after switching from the Lumia to the Nexus 5. It's even worse, because the G2 has at least DT2W.

terrier

Double tap to wake and the glance screen are the features that I still miss the most after switching from the Lumia to the Nexus 5. It's even worse, because the G2 has at least DT2W.

and LG UI also has glance the screen to keep it awake, like samsung's. Sometimes OEM's skins add some value , despite the bloatware. So i am sure G2 has it, since my old Optimus G and a L7II a relative has , have it.

ANd yes, would be nice to have it on nexus.

thenexus6

H4pdcnm.png

I want more life, Father.

Hopefully will get L on my Nexus 5 soon, I am sure it'll bring a new life to my phone.

ILoveBish

The N6 is suuuuure tempting. I wonder how that Sony camera lens is.

Too many damn phones coming out right now. I'm just trying to upgrade from my Note II people!

I am seriously considering the nexus 6 on verizon. I think its the closest upgrade from my note 2 that i've loved for years now. I seriously want 64-bit, but i might not get aosp on verizon ever again, and truthfully, the water proof feature is kinda pushing me torwards that edge.

Vanillalite

nah, i'm buying and then trading in the cheapest phone of adequate value on the carrier's trade-in list.

To be fair T No already does this though for every phone as they said they'd would be any advetised price.

I get where you are going with this all, and maybe if you can find just the right phone you'll get a steal.

Still don't think it's a good comparison.

Vanillalite

The S805 is heavily optimized for beyond HD resolutions. Did any Note 4 reviews mention heat effecting performance?

Heat always effects performance. It isn't an if, but rather a when ie see the graph Apple used during their iPhone 6 conference.

The problem is most people post quick benchmark scores which take maybe 1 min total to run so you don't get the thermal problem showing up in numbers.

To be fair T No already does this though for every phone as they said they'd would be any advetised price.

I get where you are going with this all, and maybe if you can find just the right phone you'll get a steal.

Still don't think it's a good comparison.

cost $50 w $20 TIV. net gain $170 AR.

there were a few others that were $70/$36, $70/$34 and $70/$32 so i could clear $160 easy on a trade.

U2NUMB

So not exactly impressed with Android OS so far.. stability wise. Was enjoying it but starting last night my OnePlus has been acting very odd... lots of bugs and crazy things that are obviously software related. Now today I am getting the "Restricted access -Data Service Blocked" error every 20 seconds.

It cripples the phone.. can not text or call or anything. I have tried everything I can find online without having to factory reset. Is this normal for Android? I HATE having to re set up my phone and in 4 years of WP I never had to do this.

Anyone happen to have any idea how to fix this? Its bugging the shit out of me..

Hasney

So not exactly impressed with Android OS so far.. stability wise. Was enjoying it but starting last night my OnePlus has been acting very odd... lots of bugs and crazy things that are obviously software related. Now today I am getting the "Restricted access -Data Service Blocked" error every 20 seconds.

It cripples the phone.. can not text or call or anything. I have tried everything I can find online without having to factory reset. Is this normal for Android? I HATE having to re set up my phone and in 4 years of WP I never had to do this.

Anyone happen to have any idea how to fix this? Its bugging the shit out of me..

Honestly sounds like a specific OnePlus issue. They've been introducing new bugs with each update it seems and is not representative of Android as a whole.

Groof

This all sounds more like CyanogenMod bugs to me. For the restricted access thing, when you have service go to your system settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks > Network operators. After it's done searching pick "Choose automatically." May or may not help.

Hasney

This all sounds more like CyanogenMod bugs to me. For the restricted access thing, when you have service go to your system settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile networks > Network operators. After it's done searching pick "Choose automatically." May or may not help.

And if it is already automatic, choose your actual provider. From what I've read, this appears when you have no signal to your network, but can get signal on other networks that it cannot use.

Never heard of this issue. Could be some software you are using causing the issue. It could also be your APN settings. What provider are you on?

U2NUMB

Doing a google searched turned up this issue going back years on many phones and it seems many things can cause it and many things can fix it or not fix it.

I am in my office which for the last 2 weeks with the phone I have had full bars for ATT.. so I do not think its a signal thing. I began having issues last night with my phone not wanting to wake up and now it has progressed.

Have tried the preferred network and set to ATT and will see if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.. if the above does not work I guess its factory reset time!

Also quick question.. do you guys have app updates install on their own or do you manually allow them as they come?

Hasney

Also quick question.. do you guys have app updates install on their own or do you manually allow them as they come?

Depends on the app really. Facebook and Messenger mess up the battery so much, I leave them off auto once I have a version that works alright for me because a newer one will start screwing with battery consumption.

popeutlal

Souns like normal behavior for CM, it has always been buggy. Most likely always will be.

Hasney

Just found out that Note 4 owners get 3 months free of OnLive to play PC and console games from their PlayPack bundle on. Whack a joypad on that thing and it might be fun.

VoxPop

You get what you pay for

I guess CM was just not ready for the spotlight yet

raven777

Hi guys I made my first jump to Android phone after using iphone for over 4 years

Sony Xperia Z3 compact
543FA8ED452A4F0019

543FA8ED4537E80004

Love the design of the phone.

U2NUMB

So... after factory resetting my phone I am still getting the error. A buddy of mine who is in the office who also has ATT came into my office and asked me if my phone was acting strange.

I think it was an ATT network issue... so I wiped for no reason ... :)

Google has the best engineers and programmers in the world and they still neglect the camera, which is one of the most important aspects of a phone. That is ridiculous. Also I guess L still doesn't have the option to natively show battery percentage in the status bar?

I am seriously considering the nexus 6 on verizon. I think its the closest upgrade from my note 2 that i've loved for years now. I seriously want 64-bit, but i might not get aosp on verizon ever again, and truthfully, the water proof feature is kinda pushing me torwards that edge.

Same here.

Mindwipe

One more Z3C gripe.

If you use the Xperia Transfer app it has this nifty feature where it transfers over your contacts using a USB cable between the iPhone and the Z3C.

Great.

Except once they're in the Android contacts app, there's literally no way to import them into Google contacts. They're stuck on the device locally, and aren't copied across on the account sync.

FFS (to be fair to Sony, the inability to send a device contact from the Contacts app to your Google account is also inexplicably present in stock Android, but it's the transfer function that seems so daft here).

A less technical user would be forgiven for thinking they had a full contact backup in the cloud and would promptly lose everything if their device was lost or stolen.

One more Z3C gripe.

If you use the Xperia Transfer app it has this nifty feature where it transfers over your contacts using a USB cable between the iPhone and the Z3C.

Great.

Except once they're in the Android contacts app, there's literally no way to import them into Google contacts. They're stuck on the device locally, and aren't copied across on the account sync.

FFS (to be fair to Sony, the inability to send a device contact from the Contacts app to your Google account is also inexplicably present in stock Android, but it's the transfer function that seems so daft here).

A less technical user would be forgiven for thinking they had a full contact backup in the cloud and would promptly lose everything if their device was lost or stolen.

export the contacts to a file on the device, then import the file and pick Google Account when you import.

NotBacon

#justCyanogenModthings

N6 camera...
gah
Camera shots for nexus.... WHY
Googy come the fuck on

Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom