• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

export the contacts to a file on the device, then import the file and pick Google Account when you import.

But that will result in me having to go through and remove duplicates, and obtain new contact pictures for most of them.

I'll get it sorted, but it's a) a pain in the ass and b) completely invisible to a normal non-techie user until they are fucked. How I'd explain the above to my Mum I have no clue.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So far early reports are that project denver is beastly. Hopefully a competitent Nvidia lights a new fire under Qualcomm's shitty ass that has been fucking around for the past year and a half.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How's the Z3? Why is everyone splooging on the Z3 compact over the regular Z3?

I haven't been following the Sony phones much recently

Android games are so damn poorly optimized most of the time. There is no reason a game like Minion Rush should stutter on a 801 processor with 3 GB ram.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But that will result in me having to go through and remove duplicates, and obtain new contact pictures for most of them.

I'll get it sorted, but it's a) a pain in the ass and b) completely invisible to a normal non-techie user until they are fucked. How I'd explain the above to my Mum I have no clue.

When I was first setting up my Google contacts (before I even got my first Android phone) I did it through https://www.google.com/contacts/. It's much easier to manage everything there, merge duplicates (it can find them and do it automatically in most cases), etc. And you can import contact files you've exported from your phone, that's what I did. Then you make sure you don't have any local contacts left on your phone, and you're set for as long as you stay with Android.

Hasney

How's the Z3? Why is everyone splooging on the Z3 compact over the regular Z3?

I haven't been following the Sony phones much recently

Z3 is my personal top phone right now due to that wonderful battery life. People spooging over the Z3C is because they wanted a phone that size with a decent spec for a while and it delivered... With even better battery life than the regular Z3.

It's regular for me though. Z3C is just too small.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Z3 is my personal top phone right now due to that wonderful battery life. People spooging over the Z3C is because they wanted a phone that size with a decent spec for a while and it delivered... With even better battery life than the regular Z3.

It's regular for me though. Z3C is just too small.

Interesting, with the N6 being a bit of a dud for me, I can't decide what I want. The Z3 looks great, but the Note 4 has the stylus that I desperately want. Unfortunately that comes bundled with shitty Touchwiz and capacitive buttons. Now if the Z3 came in that hot rod red like the Z3C, that would make my decision a lot easier.

Gambit61

I am seriously considering the nexus 6 on verizon. I think its the closest upgrade from my note 2 that i've loved for years now. I seriously want 64-bit, but i might not get aosp on verizon ever again, and truthfully, the water proof feature is kinda pushing me torwards that edge.

Same here.

Yup, I just realized my Note 2 is only about 1mm smaller with my favorite case on if those N6 dimensions are true. It would be the perfect upgrade.

Droid Turbo seems to be the best choice this holiday. Any idea if there will be an unlocked or Verizon-free version for sale in December? I'm visiting US and Canada so would like to pick up one I can use in Australia.

NotBacon

So I saw the reddit post for the shots taken by the Nexus 6 on G+. In typical fashion people are jumping the gun and spewing hate. I few commenters have some sense though. One pointed out the resolution was like less than 1 MP, and another said the focus was off for most of the pics. Someone also mentioned that it might not be final software.

Oddly enough, every G+ link to the pics now return 404, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe Googy didn't want people to judge off of early software or bad pics? I dunno.

kehs

Banned
Fucking 2015

We’ll be making Sony Mobile’s Android “L” upgrade available for the entire premium Z series*: including Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1S, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet, Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3v, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition devices will be first up – we’ll be back with more details on that soon.

We’ll start the upgrade at beginning of 2015 for the core Xperia Z3 and Xperia Z2 series – continuing thereafter for all remaining devices above.

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/10...d-5-0-lollipop-to-the-entire-xperia-z-series/

imBask

Banned
I would with SD card and the ability to install apps entirely on the card. Other than that, 32GB is a must.

Seriously, the biggest flaw with the Z3 is the 16GB storage.

idk, my 2.5yo 16gb galaxy nexus still isn't full... I don't really use it as an mp3 player though

Hasney

idk, my 2.5yo 16gb galaxy nexus still isn't full... I don't really use it as an mp3 player though

My Galaxy S4 is full and I don't use it like that either, I just use Google Music. Apps I want are taking up most of it and that's even clicking Move to SD card.

Toki767

Suddenly considering a Nexus 9 now that the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 seem incredibly underwhelming. Does T-Mobile still offer 100MB of data a month for free for buying their version? Cause if so I think the $600 for 32GB + LTE is as good a deal as you're going to get these days.

Maiar_m

Nexus 9 would be my go-to if it had Remote Play for sure. Without it, the Z3 compact tablet (20 bucks cheaper) is also in the run.

Mr.Mike

The Nexus 6 is really disappointing to me, it's just too big for my tastes. I'm also not a fan of a lot of the design that Google is heading towards with Android L. The Nexus 9, on the other hand, looks really nice. But I already have a Nexus 7 I'm happy with, and I only ever user for reading anyway.

So right now the two options I'm considering are either the Z3C or jumping ship and getting an iPhone 6. While I would love to have the battery life of the Z3C, Apple Pay looks really promising and I think I like the design of iOS better than the direction that Android L is going. I also really like the way Yosemite is shaping up, and hope to get the next generation of Macbook Air, so the promised interplay between OSX and iOS is really appealing.

Forgive me father for I have sinned.

The Nexus 6 is really disappointing to me, it's just too big for my tastes. I'm also not a fan of a lot of the design that Google is heading towards with Android L. The Nexus 9, on the other hand, looks really nice. But I already have a Nexus 7 I'm happy with, and I only ever user for reading anyway.

So right now the two options I'm considering are either the Z3C or jumping ship and getting an iPhone 6. While I would love to have the battery life of the Z3C, Apple Pay looks really promising and I think I like the design of iOS better than the direction that Android L is going. I also really like the way Yosemite is shaping up, and hope to get the next generation of Macbook Air, so the promised interplay between OSX and iOS is really appealing.

At least Google didn't do this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913615

If the main factor is the size just get a moto x.... The z3s camera isn't all that great and the iPhone 6 battery is similar to a moto x anyway.

If you cant appreciate the design than see ya!

HTC also touts max.90 days after getting the final build.

I'm sorry OEMs if I have to ask but what in the fucking fuck were you fucks doing with the developer edition of 5.0 till now? The whole point of it should be you get your shit together on time, not start building the software when the final build gets out.

I don't know why people are ever surprised. I will never understand why someone that cares about new android software would every buy a phone that isn't vanilla android.

It is a guarantee that they will be complaining that they are not getting their updates. It happens every single year and has been since the gingerbread days

Quasar

Well...apples non announcement of a new appletv with appstore means I'll be getting a nexus player after all.

On the other hand it looks like I'm sticking with ios for tablets. Maybe one day tablet software will be more equal between the platforms.

Hasney

I'm not getting a tablet or a set top box, unless the latter has a full Steam streaming app at some point that will allow me to send wake on LAN commands to my desktop.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
HTC also touts max.90 days after getting the final build.

I'm sorry OEMs if I have to ask but what in the fucking fuck were you fucks doing with the developer edition of 5.0 till now? The whole point of it should be you get your shit together on time, not start building the software when the final build gets out.

Eh, the developer preview was more for app developers to get their stuff up and running on L before launch, not OEMs. Don't think they can do all that much until they have the final source. Although, hmm, didn't Google say they were gonna give OEMs the source sooner this time than they usually do? So yeah, I don't know.

Hasney

Eh, the developer preview was more for app developers to get their stuff up and running on L before launch, not OEMs. Don't think they can do all that much until they have the final source.

Yup, exactly. There is no way you begin your port on incomplete sources. That would just be asking for trouble.

HTCLollipop.png

Not that surprised that the M7 is getting it, but glad to see HTC putting in that work. They made the same promise with Kit Kat and were able to make good on their word so I don't expect any less with this.

If the main factor is the size just get a moto x.... The z3s camera isn't all that great and the iPhone 6 battery is similar to a moto x anyway.

If you cant appreciate the design than see ya!
That's hysterical considering the Z3C camera is better than the Moto X. So what does that make the Moto X camera?

I held a Note 4 today and it didn't even feel large in my hand. I think you guys have some really churlish hands lol. This makes the Nexus 6 skyrocket on my want list. Only thing that's a negative is if it will fit in my pockets.

That's hysterical considering the Z3C camera is better than the Moto X. So what does that make the Moto X camera?

I held a Note 4 today and it didn't even feel large in my hand. I think you guys have some really churlish hands lol. This makes the Nexus 6 skyrocket on my want list. Only thing that's a negative is if it will fit in my pockets.

You must have some really churlish pockets lol

SimleuqiR

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...p-on-nov-3rd-other-devices-later-in-november/

Get your ADBs ready!!

my+body+is+always+ready+for+Reggie-sama+_9adb967735d602ac31aebbbfcf685e18.jpg

We have a reliable source (two, in fact) telling us that the first over-the-air updated to Android Lollipop will come not to the Nexus 4 or 5, but to the Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 7 (2013 Wi-Fi), and Nexus 10. Why? Because they're all Wi-Fi device - supposedly hardware with cellular data will have to wait a bit longer to get the OTA, meaning the Nexus 4, 5, and 2013 Nexus 7 with LTE will be stuck a bit longer waiting for the L update. The updates for the Wi-Fi devices will arrive on November 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom