• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...p-on-nov-3rd-other-devices-later-in-november/

Get your ADBs ready!!

my+body+is+always+ready+for+Reggie-sama+_9adb967735d602ac31aebbbfcf685e18.jpg

Why the fuuuuurk is that old ass 2012 N7 getting L before my N5? That shit ain't right.

That's hysterical considering the Z3C camera is better than the Moto X. So what does that make the Moto X camera?

I held a Note 4 today and it didn't even feel large in my hand. I think you guys have some really churlish hands lol. This makes the Nexus 6 skyrocket on my want list. Only thing that's a negative is if it will fit in my pockets.

Average.

What's the best do-not-disturb app for Android? The stuff coming in L looks great but I can't wait that long.

It turns out that I inherited a prostitute's phone number and I get all manner of messages and creepy calls in the middle of the night.

I need something that whitelists my contacts but ignores randoms during nighttime hours.

Furyous

I'm posting from my i5 while the G3 finishes rooting. Entertain an iphone user's experience thus far:

Is it me or does the G3 have 3/4 the brightness of the i5? It feels like a tradeoff between brightness and resolution thus far. Max brightness on this device FUCKING SUCKS.

Reviewers said the speaker on the G3 sucked but they are wrong.

It's easy to use this device one handed without enabling it which is very surprising.

Does anyone know of a good way to move all of my contacts from ios to android?

Having to root the device to get rid of icons in the status bar and get rid of the search bar in the GPE launcher is annoying. Rooting takes forever on a mac good jesus.

I can tell the difference in resolution only due to the fact that I run my notebook in 2K mode all the time. 750p is some peasant shit but only when it comes to video so I apologize to everyone.

If you'll excuse me I need to go research ways to backup interesting instagram videos on yoga. Can anyone give me a list of stuff to try to get that superior Android experience?

NotBacon

What's the best do-not-disturb app for Android? The stuff coming in L looks great but I can't wait that long.

It turns out that I inherited a prostitute's phone number and I get all manner of messages and creepy calls in the middle of the night.

I need something that whitelists my contacts but ignores randoms during nighttime hours.

L has built in do not disturb, not sure about a whitelist though...

Interesting, with the N6 being a bit of a dud for me, I can't decide what I want. The Z3 looks great, but the Note 4 has the stylus that I desperately want. Unfortunately that comes bundled with shitty Touchwiz and capacitive buttons. Now if the Z3 came in that hot rod red like the Z3C, that would make my decision a lot easier.

try out the Note 4 in stores.

Drifters

Been rocking this for the past few weeks.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabooze.buzzoff&hl=en

I work shift 3 so I sleep during the day and whitelist a few numbers. Very handy.

your best bet is to call the phone company and explain the issue in an effort to get them to change your number.

i always wondered why journalists omit specs for Apple devices like RAM and battery capacity... are they afraid of getting blacklisted?

Watch the Twit episode from Monday. They have Nilay Patel as guest and he explains that the Verge is about lifestyle and technology and not just a tech blog. Specs don't matter, but it's about the experience and how it matters in your life or whatever.

And then John Dvorak took a huge shit on his explanation. It's great!

kehs

Banned
Is there really anything that google can add through android that will be unique?

Instead of them solidifying their messaging services, they're creating a new one.

Instead of them making some good delivery service they push their half assed content service that shits on chromecast while promoting chromecast at the same time?

All the "cool options" they add have exististed on samsung, lg, sony, hunwaie for ages. I was mad about not getting L at first. But Google is going to deliver backward compatibility libraries for all of their apps.

Android has been a disaster for years, I'm not surprised that even a refreshed ipad mini with a touch ID button is selling more than a 4:3 android tablet.

Cheebo

Banned
i mean even after it's well documented by developers, tests, teardowns, etc... many comparisons will omit columns or N/A the Apple listing simply because it's not on the official spec sheet.

How does that apply in this case? No one knows what the iPad Air 2 RAM specs are. We are unable to find that out till teardowns which have yet to happen.

Was excited about the N6 but given the price I think I'm going to wait for the 64bit processor phones to come out.

Any advice on which companies to watch for a potential phone? My perfect phone would be flagship specs, relatively easy to root (preferably without having to flash the device to relock/unlock the bootloader) , close to stock android (or there's a way to nuke the bloat), on screen buttons (I like being able to rotate my phone), enough battery to make it through ~10 hrs of use (web, email, some games and calls) and an SD card slot would be nice. I realize that such a phone doesn't exist but its the ideal phone that I evaluate against.

From what I've gathered its probably the Moto X line I should be watching.

terrier

if that xperia z4 rumor is true, and seems plausible, it makes me easier to wait a bit, it just makes sense, or even a full year if the first gen of 64bit Soc have issues. Is 810 built in 20nm?
805 devices will drop in price so will still be a good option if 810 fails to impress.

pooptest

Sony Life.

What would be the better idea? Trade in my iPhone 5 and upgrade to 6+ (under contract price), then possibly sell it on eBay when unlocked Z4 comes out OR just wait for Z4 to get released [hopefully] for AT&T?

I feel if I wait too long it'll mess with my upgrade timing even more. I've been eligible for upgrade since September. (I've had every other iteration of the iphone since the first one (upgrade when eligible every time, since 2007).

But, I'm growing tired of iOS and I feel like it's time for a change. Anyways, I figure I can get a decent price for 6+, even later on when Z4 is announced/released. They're selling for more than $1k right now on eBay.

kehs

Banned
Holy shit Googy just release the goddamn SDK already I want to start reading up on the docs.

Google started bragging about how the PDK will help OEMs with update releases back during jellybean.

We're still talking about 90 day updates after AOSP release (whenever the fuck they'll do that).

mturco is gonna give me shit about this, but maybe aosp isn't the best idea.

Zeppu

Google started bragging about how the PDK will help OEMs with update releases back during jellybean.

We're still talking about 90 day updates after AOSP release (whenever the fuck they'll do that).

mturco is gonna give me shit about this, but maybe aosp isn't the best idea.

Don't care about the AOSP or PDKs. I only want to read the extensive docs they usually release with SDK updates.

OJbZj8n.png

Is it the 17th yet?

Hasney

Sony's has a 6 month cycle on their flagships.

*shrug*

If you're into Sony phones, you kinda have to shut your ears/eyes and ignore that slightly improved Z *number* + 1 that comes 6 months later. =P

Although if we believe everything in that leak, it's the last 6 monthly refresh.

Wouldn't be shocked if that is the case and they just release the flagship big daddy device early in the year, then the compact version 6 months down the line. Kinda like Samsuns Galxy S/Note rotation.

yyzjohn

Banned
if that xperia z4 rumor is true, and seems plausible, it makes me easier to wait a bit, it just makes sense, or even a full year if the first gen of 64bit Soc have issues. Is 810 built in 20nm?
805 devices will drop in price so will still be a good option if 810 fails to impress.

I'm keeping an eye on this, my Rogers contract is up next summer and I'm thinking of jumping to the next Sony phone.

NH Apache

Banned
Sony's has a 6 month cycle on their flagships.

*shrug*

If you're into Sony phones, you kinda have to shut your ears/eyes and ignore that slightly improved Z *number* + 1 that comes 6 months later. =P

In that article, it says that they will switch to a 1/year cycle for flagships.

Whoops, late, sorry.

I'm interested to see if there are issues with third party apps and the 64 bit structure. IIRC, when PC made the big switch, there was a plethora of issues so I'm wondering if we'll see similar on Android.

There's not just the lollipop sdk today, right? I hope there's an updated/near final preview build as well, so I can finally see some of that lollipop goodness in action.

Edit: Never mind, found what I was hoping to hear. Awesome, can't wait for videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom