• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Has anyone who used the first L preview flashed the new one yet? I mainly want to know if the most annoying bugs have been fixed. This should be very close to the final release, so you'd think it'd be pretty usable. Ah, don't think I can wait another month either way, will probably be doing some flashing tonight.

Dl'n the flashable zip now. Will report back

L034

Flashed the new preview. Email app (not Gmail, the yellow one) has been upgraded to material design, but it FCs as soon as I added an email 😢

Toki767

Project Volta is supposed to redeem the Moto X bro

Project Volta's mostly for when the screen is off and apps are running in the background. ICS all the way up to JB/Kit Kat had a darker theme. Material Design throws that away in favor of bright colors which AMOLED isn't good for.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fuck it, I'm done with 4.4, 5.0 here I come! Again! Hopefully for good this time.

EDIT: Wow, there's a lot of new stuff since the old preview. All-new first boot experience (logging into your account if you have Authenticator enabled is no longer a pain in the ass), new animations everywhere (for example, the app drawer button button expands in a circle to show the app drawer, instead of it just zooming into view like before), the tilt animation when you try to swipe past the last launcher/app drawer page is gone (now it just moves a bit and bounces back, like in earlier versions), the app drawer itself looks different (it's now sort of a white sheet that hover over the home screen), etc.

And THANK YOU, they've brought back the 2-finger swipe to open quick settings! In the last preview the only way to do it was to swipe down twice (which you can still do), and I really missed the single gesture for getting there right away.

Avixph

Project Volta's mostly for when the screen is off and apps are running in the background. ICS all the way up to JB/Kit Kat had a darker theme. Material Design throws that away in favor of bright colors which AMOLED isn't good for.
AMOLED works good with balck and colorful backgrounds but not white backgrounds.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Nexus 9 preorder open on Australian play store. Again we get screwed on pricing...

479 for 16gb wifi
589 for 32gb wifi
719 for 32gb LTE

No sand colour available as yet.

Fuck it, I'm done with 4.4, 5.0 here I come! Again! Hopefully for good this time.

EDIT: Wow, there's a lot of new stuff since the old preview. All-new first boot experience (logging into your account if you have Authenticator enabled is no longer a pain in the ass), new animations everywhere (for example, the app drawer button button expands in a circle to show the app drawer, instead of it just zooming into view like before), the tilt animation when you try to swipe past the last launcher/app drawer page is gone (now it just moves a bit and bounces back, like in earlier versions), the app drawer itself looks different (it's now sort of a white sheet that hover over the home screen), etc.

And THANK YOU, they've brought back the 2-finger swipe to open quick settings! In the last preview the only way to do it was to swipe down twice (which you can still do), and I really missed the single gesture for getting there right away.

I think I'll give the new preview image a try when it gets ported to the N4 (which sounds like it could be soon-ish). My N10 could really use it more, though.

kehs

Banned
I'm glad that they kept that feature. I'd really miss it if it was gone.

brot knows.

L redeemed. I was livid when I tried the preview and that was gone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And you can clear all notifications again, yay! It's a bit weird having that button below the list of notifications instead of above it, but oh well!

Anyone here use Francisco Franco's kernels? He's posted an update on his work going forward:

Exciting times with Android mean cool things are coming from me. Before I write about the Nexus 6 let's start out with FK related info:
It's mostly good news, but two probably not so good:

1 - Galaxy Nexus FK updates will finish once I reach r400 (currently r398). This is a 3 year old device, and I've already extended way beyond the minimum 18 months. Reason for this is that I don't even touch the device, it's collecting dust on the drawer and I've done everything I can about its Kernel. There's no point working on it anymore after r400. FKU will support GN forever, just no more Kernels.

2 - I probably won't buy the Nexus 9. I don't use tablets and my update cycle on the current N7's and N10 is horrible, I simply don't use them so motivation to work on them is not on par. For this reason, I'm not going to waste my hard earned money to buy hardware to be unused on my drawer. However if someone buys me the device I'll gladly work on it. Make no mistake, the N9 is an amazing device spec wise. Please respect my decision.

About current supported devices, all franco.Kernels will be re-worked (except GN of course). So expect a release cycle within the 30-days after Lollipop drops. The order of updates will be:

1 - Nexus 5
2 - Nexus 4
3 - Nexus 7 2013
4 - Nexus 10
5 - Nexus 7

If the changes on 2012's N7 are minimal I'll drop it faster, but its currently unknown.
I'm also dependent on Google's source drop so don't bother asking me for updates before its sources are released.

https://plus.google.com/+FranciscoFranco1990/posts/hGVnn6JMUQ9

Quasar

Nexus 9 preorder open on Australian play store. Again we get screwed on pricing...

479 for 16gb wifi
589 for 32gb wifi
719 for 32gb LTE

Those seem ok to me.

I mean 399 in aud plus gst is 500 according to google.

MNC

Wow, 389€ in NL. That's a tenner off!

I wonder if I should buy the Nexus 9 outside of the Play Store, wondering if it will be cheaper.

kharma45

479 for 16gb wifi
589 for 32gb wifi
719 for 32gb LTE

Hell of a lot cheaper than what the UK gets.

The 32GB N9 is £399, or $642 USD. Yours works out at a mere $516 USD.

If anyone is getting screwed it's us.

Moto G LTE 2013 or Moto G 2014?

It's for the parents and will be running on TMobile. I'm leaning toward the 2nd Gen because the bigger screen is easier on the old eyes, but will they miss LTE much? I'm thinking HSPA+ is plenty fast for them.

Thoughts? Maybe a better alternative in the $200 range?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One thing I don't like about the new preview is the effect when you press one of the navigation keys. The tap indication is now oval, and it doesn't do the cool "splashing" thing it did in the last preview anymore.

Also a bit disappointed that Smart Lock (which lets you bypass the lock screen if you're connected to a trusted device) only works with BT devices and NFC tags. Seems like a no-brainer to also be able to set Wi-Fi networks as trusted, but I guess not.

I like this a lot:
RaggedOrneryIcterinewarbler.gif

SimleuqiR

One thing I don't like about the new preview is the effect when you press one of the navigation keys. The tap indication is now oval, and it doesn't do the cool "splashing" thing it did in the last preview anymore.

Also a bit disappointed that Smart Lock (which lets you bypass the lock screen if you're connected to a trusted device) only works with BT devices and NFC tags. Seems like a no-brainer to also be able to set Wi-Fi networks as trusted, but I guess not.

That's disappointing, the wifi thing.

Edit:

Just pre-ordered the Nexus Player:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_player

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They've removed the DND stuff (mute notifications) from the quick settings. Instead, now when you press the volume keys you get a popup where you can set notifications/disturbances to All, None, or Prioritized (you can set what's prioritized and not), either until you change it again or for the next X minutes/hours. You can also set this to automatically happen at certain times of certain days of the week, where only prioritized disturbances will be allowed through. You can limit the prioritized contacts to your starred ones, but not to individual people.

Taking the place of this in the quick settings menu is a flashlight shortcut, which is nice!

3phemeral

Did I miss a Motorola announcement where Moto Connect is available for non-Motorola devices? I just reflashed my GNex and while mass reinstalling apps only to find that Moto Connect wasn't grayed out. Couldn't able to install it on my Galaxy Note 10.1, though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did I miss a Motorola announcement where Moto Connect is available for non-Motorola devices? I just reflashed my GNex and while mass reinstalling apps only to find that Moto Connect wasn't grayed out. Couldn't able to install it on my Galaxy Note 10.1, though.

It's available to install on my N5 as well, but the app description clearly says that it's just for Moto devices.

I know it won't happen but I kind of hope the nexus 6 gets grilled on its size from reviews. I know the text will grill the size but the score won't be affected. Would be nice if it did. Just to send a message.

Toki767

I know it won't happen but I kind of hope the nexus 6 gets grilled on its size from reviews. I know the text will grill the size but the score won't be affected. Would be nice if it did. Just to send a message.

Just read The Verge's review. They'll grill the size AND lower the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom