• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

Latest Lollipop dev preview has to be damn near OTA cause there isn't a bug in sight.

Using an N5. this is the smoothest thing ever.

And the quiet best feature of Lolli has to be auto 2-step auth for the google accounts that use it.
I'm really glad to hear they fixed this. I have hated having to use a trusted PC and say "I have a new phone..." To setup the new one.

One of you fine, young people on the new lollipop preview; have you seen the old recents view at all, like in the image below from Android Police?

nexus2cee_4yukGpk_thumb.png

iavi

One of you fine, young people on the new lollipop preview; have you seen the old recents view at all, like in the image below from Android Police?

nowhere in sight

It doesn't seem to be a contextual thing either.

I love the new multi-tasking pane; coupled with the increased smoothness and Chrome tab switching, i'm in the drawer all the time and it never hiccups at all.

nowhere in sight

It doesn't seem to be a contextual thing either.

I love the new multi-tasking pane; coupled with the increased smoothness and Chrome tab switching, i'm in the drawer all the time and it never hiccups at all.
Oh ok. I wonder what AP did that caused that old style recents to appear.

Didn't know where else to ask and didn't want to make a thread for a stupid question. When you choose to remove your Google+ account, what it states it's actually removing is a bit vague. Is it only removing it, or is it going to remove your entire Google account? I just wanted to be clear before I nuked the whole thing.

Talon

As heated as we get in here, at least we don't compare to the sports-GAF threads!

We're pretty much warm and fuzzy in here all the time by comparison. Even you, Unknown! :3

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Haven't had a La Fin Du Monde since college.

On topic, when is the source for L released that groups like CM can begin porting? Nov 3?

NotBacon

This doesn't quite do what I want. There are still apps that appear and are unable to be disabled.

The joys of carrier 'premium app software'.

Yeah disable as much as possible, and if that still doesn't satisfy you, just buy Nova (for the love of god not Apex) and hide the rest.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The joys of carrier 'premium app software'.

Yeah disable as much as possible, and if that still doesn't satisfy you, just buy Nova (for the love of god not Apex) and hide the rest.

I meant Nova. I get the two confused. What is wrong with Apex? I think I used to use it and I thought they were fairly interchangeable.

Rizific

Sorry, I guess check out apex than.

Odd though because I have no issue disabling and neither does my coworker with a vzw X

How do you like the phone?

coming from a GS3, im really liking it so far. ive been due for an upgrade for a while now and was recently looking at the M8. i liked how it was super quick and responsive, but i wanted a pure android device. i waited for news on a nexus device for verizon but was immediately put off by the screen size. so the moto x would be as close as i could get. just bummed that i cant easily hide apps. and i had to download an app just to get a battery % reading =/

waxer

Was after a new phone and in laws who are chinese are getting me a meizu mx4 which should be a huge improvement over my lumia 600. Anyone here with one.? I only use messaging apps, music, browser and camera so seems like a really good match for me.

VoxPop

Got to play with my friends Note 4 this weekend and I must admit Samsung did a stellar job with the hardware. The fake leather and metal trim actually have a great feel and made my iPhone 6 feel like a toy. Then touch wiz left a sour taste in my mouth. If they for whatever reason made a GPE version with S-Pen functionality I would be all over it.

-PXG-

Decided to flash Lollipop onto my Nexus 5. First time doing so. Quick and easy. Waiting for the initial bootup to finish.

Benedict

Cheapest/best way to buy Nexus 9 for delivery to Sweden?
I see you can preorder it on amazon.co.uk for £399 where release date is November 3rd. But then taxes and shipping will be added making it £422.63 (4 882 sek, $680).

Should I look elsewhere?

I have a £60 gift coupon on amazon that makes it a bit cheaper.

ordering it directly from Google makes it 4395 sek ($612) and ships in 2-3 weeks.

edit 7:

Meanwhile a Ipad Mini 3 64 gb would cost 4695 sek ($653) and an iPad Air 2 64 gb 5595 sek ($779).

-PXG-

It is silly how easy it is isn't it.

Boot up might take a while at first, don't panic!

Actually the boot up was only a few moments longer. It was fast. I'm flashing my Nexus 7 right now.

It's amazing how smooth this build is on my N5. Apparently it's months old too. I can't imagine how good the final, OTA release is gonna be.

Nicktendo86

Actually the boot up was only a few moments longer. It was fast. I'm flashing my Nexus 7 right now.

It's amazing how smooth this build is on my N5. Apparently it's months old too. I can't imagine how good the final, OTA release is gonna be.
Is it? Didn't know that, I see the kernal is from august but the build number is from 13th October. Where do you hear this build is months old?

zroid

Banned
Hey guys, I recently got a Galaxy S5, my previous phone being a 6-year-old Blackberry. It's great, but I'm a little bit disappointed with the default email client. I'm used to having a bunch of filtering options on the Blackberry which only downloads specific emails onto my phone. Anybody know of any email apps (ideally free) which have some more advanced options like that?

NotBacon

Hey guys, I recently got a Galaxy S5, my previous phone being a 6-year-old Blackberry. It's great, but I'm a little bit disappointed with the default email client. I'm used to having a bunch of filtering options on the Blackberry which only downloads specific emails onto my phone. Anybody know of any email apps (ideally free) which have some more advanced options like that?

Mmmm BlueMail? I dunno

I never heard of this. Can you explain further?

Afaik there is an option in settings not to block songs with explicit content, just below equalizer.

It is set to not block.

What I gather is that google play's music match program will auto match songs that you upload and something it will match it to the radio versions.

Since I bought most of my songs from Amazon/iTunes before google play came along it does this for most of my rap songs.

I mean, listen to Eminem is terrible with this.

yyzjohn

Banned
It is set to not block.

What I gather is that google play's music match program will auto match songs that you upload and something it will match it to the radio versions.

Since I bought most of my songs from Amazon/iTunes before google play came along it does this for most of my rap songs.

I mean, listen to Eminem is terrible with this.

Strange, I've never had this issue and all my music is uploaded and "matched" as well.

Printed out the to-scale image of the Nexus 6 and slapped some cardboard to it for thickness......

and holy shit it's not that bad at all.

Can't wait for others to try it in store and have the same realization.

Also can't wait to flaunt it and catch some double-takes when they realize it's not another plastic TouchWiz device.

What? It looks VERY similar in size to the Note 4. Like within millimeters.

You need to update your anti-Samsung talking points, they are using metal now

npa189

So how easy is it to put 5.0 on a nexus 5? Will it wipe my data? Do most apps work? Its my everyday phone so it needs to work 100%. Is this anything like when apple puts out gold masters of a new iOS, I'm a recent convert.

kehs

Banned
So how easy is it to put 5.0 on a nexus 5? Will it wipe my data? Do most apps work? Its my everyday phone so it needs to work 100%. Is this anything like when apple puts out gold masters of a new iOS, I'm a recent convert.

Its not like a gold master . It's still a beta and incomplete

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Just wait it out.

In a few weeks you'll get an OTA notice for an update.

Sch1sm

Works fine but there's a battery issue that'll be solved in the next preview, so I'd just wait it out. A random miscellaneous stat is draining more battery than screens. Otherwise, it's nearly flawless.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just wait it out.

In a few weeks you'll get an OTA notice for an update.

Why, exactly? I'm very happy to have flashed the new preview, it's awesome. Last time I went back to KK after a while, because there were just a few too many things that didn't quite work properly in that first preview, but this time I've found no such issues so far (except for lock screen media controls, which are currently not quite what they should be - but that might be because of API changes, meaning apps need to be updated for this to work right again). So unless you really don't want to wipe your device, I say go for it. This is much nicer than being stuck with KK for another 3-4 weeks. Of course, not everyone is as impatient as me with this stuff!

Works fine but there's a battery issue that'll be solved in the next preview, so I'd just wait it out. A random miscellaneous stat is draining more battery than screens. Otherwise, it's nearly flawless.

Are you taking about the Misc battery drain? Yeah, that's a tad annoying, but I'm not sure it has any actual major effect? I'm currently at 54% battery with well over 2h of screen-on time. That's better than the average on 4.4.4, I'm pretty sure? I did turn off NFC, which some have said makes Misc drop quite a bit. Maybe (hopefully) battery life will be even better in the final release, but that isn't exactly a convincing reason to stay on KK.

And what next preview? Have you actually read that there will be another one? Seems rather unlikely to me, as the final release is only 3-4 weeks away or so.

I'd easily recommend anyone who doesn't want to wait to flash the preview. It seems to be feature-complete, and everything works great.

Sch1sm

Are you taking about the Misc battery drain? Yeah, that's a tad annoying, but I'm not sure it has any actual major effect? I'm currently at 54% battery with well over 2h of screen-on time. That's better than the average on 4.4.4, I'm pretty sure? I did turn off NFC, which some have said makes Misc drop quite a bit. Maybe (hopefully) battery life will be even better in the final release, but that isn't exactly a convincing reason to stay on KK.

And what next preview? Have you actually read that there will be another one? Seems rather unlikely to me, as the final release is only 3-4 weeks away or so.

I'd easily recommend anyone who doesn't want to wait to flash the preview. It seems to be feature-complete, and everything works great.

Yeah, the misc battery drain. Turning NFC off did nothing for me, I monitored that closely today. And no, that's my mistake. I meant the final release, just poor, tired explanation on my part while I power through a procrastinated essay. Pay me no mind, I goofed there. :lol

You're right, though. L is absolutely whole. The final will be phenomenal. So well done on Google's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom