• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Printed out the to-scale image of the Nexus 6 and slapped some cardboard to it for thickness......

and holy shit it's not that bad at all.

Can't wait for others to try it in store and have the same realization.

Also can't wait to flaunt it and catch some double-takes when they realize it's not another plastic TouchWiz device.

It really is huge in comparison to the Note 4. The Note 4 is already bigger than my OPO and this dwarves the Note 4. Damn.

What? It looks VERY similar in size to the Note 4. Like within millimeters.

Printed out the to-scale image of the Nexus 6 and slapped some cardboard to it for thickness......

Also can't wait to flaunt it and catch some double-takes when they realize it's not another plastic TouchWiz device.

What? It looks VERY similar in size to the Note 4. Like within millimeters.
uhhh I've tried out smaller phones that I think are huge and this phone is huger. It's a huge phone.

Thank you. I just think people have some really small hands. I held the Note 4 yesterday (Great looking and feeling phone btw) and it fit right into my hand. It didn't feel huge at all. That's why I contemplating a Nexus 6. My stupid 4.5" display feels way too small for me.

teiresias

Everytime I have to sit through this whole unskippable, one minute long Note 4 pre-roll ad on Youtube I'm glad Samsung's stock is tanking.

How's the bloatware on sprint? Might be going that route as they have better reception in my area than t-mobile...

They added bloat on Galaxy Nexus but didn't on the Nexus 5.

Sprint network speeds are much worse to the point that they can hardly be called LTE. Tmobiles LTE is fantastic.

Keep that in mind if you are comparing coverage and sprints isn't significantly better.

Edit: Nice post delete.

XBP

I wonder if there will be test units at carrier stores. I wanna see it in person.

Given that this is going to be pushed as a carrier phone, I'm 100% sure every carrier will have the N6 in their store.

My only concern with the N6 is how well it'll fit in my pocket. Given that the phone is huge, moving around with it in my pocket might damage the device.

Husker86

Thank you. I just think people have some really small hands. I held the Note 4 yesterday (Great looking and feeling phone btw) and it fit right into my hand. It didn't feel huge at all. That's why I contemplating a Nexus 6. My stupid 4.5" display feels way too small for me.

It has nothing to do with people having small hands. Just because it fits in your hand doesn't mean it can't be less comfortable to use than a smaller phone.

I was always on the big phone bandwagon, but I seemed to have stopped right at the Nexus 5 size.

I won't be unrealistic and say that I'll never get a bigger phone, but I can confidently say now that I do not want a bigger phone than maybe the G3 at this time.

One inch difference from my Nexus 7 screen size...and I'm supposed to use it with one hand some of the time?

Jzero

Second lollipop preview is so much better than the first. Not a buggy mess.

iU3UCObZkpLGa.png

ArchAngel

Wouldn't recommend that. Many had bugs (navbuttons not working, notificationbar not working, slow etc) coming from the old Dev Preview without wipe. Had it myself and wiped everything after that-

But that way you can see the new and awesome setup :)

I'll just wait for the OTA then, shouldn't be too far along. Can't be bothered doing a wipe.
But the OTA for the N5 is at least three or four weeks away. That's like 3 months. Why can't Google roll this out more quickly?

Or rather, why can't they all be like Apple in that regard.

Hasney

So I thought my Galaxy S4 was finally fully head as the screen was just flickering.... What apparently from looking around it's some combination of signals, roaming and auto brightness. Turn auto brightness off and it works.

God I need to get off this phone.

tzare

This preview is really good. I wonder what extra features can we expect from final release? Weird thing is it has aosp browser, calendar, music and sms apps, no gapps but playstore and g. Services

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This preview is really good. I wonder what extra features can we expect from final release? Weird thing is it has aosp browser, calendar, music and sms apps, no gapps but playstore and g. Services

I'm pretty sure this preview is feature complete. The final release will probably just been even more bug-free, and of course it will come with Gapps.

Mindwipe

Would really like to hear their rationale for going to 6".

Given the rumours and staff changes we know happened, my suspicion is that between Silver and the plan to close the Nexus programme there wasn't a Nexus 6. Then the people pushing Silver left, everyone else decided it was a ludicrous plan, and they were forced to get a last minute handset from Motorola which they still had enough power to do. And all Moto had on that notice was a cancelled tablet.

Groof

Maiden in black...
I really dislike this. It looks so disjointed not to mention gaudy. The vertical logo was fine on the nexus 5 because the back was so simple. But here you have the huge ugly ass flash ring and the horizontal motorola logo that totally clash with it.
I don't like it at all, yet I'm considering getting one.

I really dislike this. It looks so disjointed not to mention gaudy. The vertical logo was fine on the nexus 5 because the back was so simple. But here you have the huge ugly ass flash ring and the horizontal motorola logo that totally clash with it.
I don't like it at all, yet I'm considering getting one.

I agree the back looks way too busy

Volotaire

I also don't like the back of the nexus. The camera lens outer ring looks awful, I don't like the large Nexus logo and I'm not so sure about that outer ring of the phone that has a segmented design. Possibly the way they arranged as a line on the back, or because all of the features are so large.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quoting myself from the 5.0 thread, in case anyone in here wanted to know:

Ah, "tabs-as-apps" indeed works in Chrome Beta. Here are three tabs in Recents:

Screenshot_2014-10-18-18-16-45.png

What slightly annoying is that if you have this enabled you can't switch tabs from within Chrome at all anymore, you have to use Recents. Will take some getting used to.

BTW, GAF's mobile design needs an update, methinks. Let's get some flat/material goodness in there!

Pachimari

What are the big news in Lollipop besides materiel design?

Is it tabs as apps, multi-user login and better battery management?

I have been a little out of the loop while moving.

What are the big news in Lollipop besides materiel design?

Is it tabs as apps, multi-user login and better battery management?

I have been a little out of the loop while moving.

ART is the main and only runtime. No more dalvik. Also it has KNOX security built in or support for it anyway. It's also compatible with 64 bit processors.

Mr.Mike

I like how they made the navigation buttons smaller in the second L preview. They really bothered me in the first preview but now that they're smaller they don't bother me as much. The second L preview is much better. I might have dismissed Android L too easily with the first preview.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do I get it on my N7?

Download it from here: http://developer.android.com/preview/index.html
Then follow the instructions here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#instructions

It's very easy, the only real work you have to do is to install the Android SDK and get it updated with the latest tools you need. Takes a little time, but isn't difficult. Then you basically just run a flashing script included in the download, and you're done.

I like how they made the navigation buttons smaller in the second L preview. They really bothered me in the first preview but now that they're smaller they don't bother me as much. The second L preview is much better. I might have dismissed Android L too easily with the first preview.

The smaller buttons are fine, but I don't like the new effect when you press them. The oval touch indication doesn't look very good IMO, and it's also missing the ripple effect it had in the last preview. That looked much nicer. Hopefully that small aspect isn't final yet.

Quasar

Given the rumours and staff changes we know happened, my suspicion is that between Silver and the plan to close the Nexus programme there wasn't a Nexus 6. Then the people pushing Silver left, everyone else decided it was a ludicrous plan, and they were forced to get a last minute handset from Motorola which they still had enough power to do. And all Moto had on that notice was a cancelled tablet.

Well is there any history for numbered nexus phones with multiple versions?I wish there was given the number has come to relate to size. So I would have loved a N4(2015) or something.

That said I think a nexus QHD phone is a useful dev device with it being the midpoint between phones and tablets. Do apps use a phone or tablet layout?

iavi

Latest Lollipop dev preview has to be damn near OTA cause there isn't a bug in sight.

Using an N5. this is the smoothest thing ever.

And the quiet best feature of Lolli has to be auto 2-step auth for the google accounts that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom