• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Finally getting a look through the new APIs on lollipop.

Camera yumminess:

The CameraCharacteristics class lets your app detect what camera features are available on a device. The object's INFO_SUPPORTED_HARDWARE_LEVEL property represents the camera's level of functionality.

All devices support at least the INFO_SUPPORTED_HARDWARE_LEVEL_LEGACY hardware level, which has capabilities roughly equivalent to that of the deprecated Camera API.

Devices that support the INFO_SUPPORTED_HARDWARE_LEVEL_FULL hardware level are capable of manual control of capture and post-processing, and capturing high-resolution images at high frame rates.

https://source.android.com/devices/camera/camera.html

nom nom

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-5.0.html

Android 5.0 introduces the ability for apps to browse the media content library of another app, through the new android.media.browse API. To expose the media content in your app, extend the MediaBrowserService class. Your implementation of MediaBrowserService should provide access to a MediaSession.Token so that apps can play media content provided through your service.

This something like Google Music to share it's music to another player.

Hylian7

I'm a fucking idiot and just washed my Nexus 5 that I've had about two months. It's in a bag of rice right now, taken apart, battery out, etc. I'll check it in the morning. I'm really fucking pissed about it.

Also T-Mobile won't even offer the N5 anymore (probably because the release date of the N6 is right around the corner).

I dunno what I'm going to do but I just wanted to rant for now. If anyone has any other washing machine recovery ideas, please throw them out here.

jokkir

Hey guys, I got the new Google+, new Message app, new Play Music, Google Fit and whatever on my Nexus 4.

Screenshots coming soon.

EDIT - Screenshots
Homescreen
8XojTdi.jpg

App Drawer
Eutju5g.jpg

New Messenger app (different colours for different chat threads)
SIosDr1.png

2Jb5oZo.png

New Gmail
JB29Srv.jpg

M5aRh4y.png

8I03X74.png

Google Fit
g2uI2k0.png

RV14Sge.jpg

New Play Music (No fancy animations. Just seems quickly materialized)
f8Z0Oag.png

OMFIZF1.jpg

New Play Books
OG9GWKq.jpg

HjDmO5C.png

Polari

New icons look fab.

New Play Music looks like shit. Hopefully they'll be able to do more before the roll-out begins in earnest.

Yeah, Play Music just looks unfinished. I'm assuming it and even already materialized Google apps will be updated further by the time of official Lollipop release.

Also, where is that N4 ROM from? Even the new dev preview has none of that stuff. Did someone port it from the N6 or something?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I think battery life is looking pretty decent:

Closing in on 5 hours of screen-on time (could have gone past that mark, I'm pretty sure) with 5% battery left. This was with pretty much default brightness settings (adaptive brightness at around 50%), doing a mix of web browsing, YouTube, etc.

The only weirdness is Misc (which is described as the difference between measured and actual battery usage) using up more battery than anything else on the phone (including the screen), but I don't know if that actually has an adverse effect on battery life or if it's just a measuring issue. In any case, it's apparently already fixed in internal builds, so it should be fine in the final release.

Right now (new charge cycle) I'm at just over 80% battery with a little over 1h of screen-on time, so 5 hours seems to be holding true.

-PXG-

Why on Earth does the Nexus 4 have newer icons and more apps using material design than the Nexus 5. I just flashed lollipop yesterday...

Nicktendo86

Well, I think battery life is looking pretty decent:

Closing in on 5 hours of screen-on time (could have gone past that mark, I'm pretty sure) with 5% battery left. This was with pretty much default brightness settings (adaptive brightness at around 50%), doing a mix of web browsing, YouTube, etc.

The only weirdness is Misc (which is described as the difference between measured and actual battery usage) using up more battery than anything else on the phone (including the screen), but I don't know if that actually has an adverse effect on battery life or if it's just a measuring issue. In any case, it's apparently already fixed in internal builds, so it should be fine in the final release.

Right now (new charge cycle) I'm at just over 80% battery with a little over 1h of screen-on time, so 5 hours seems to be holding true.
Yeah I seem to typically get about 5.5 - 6 hours screen on time with my N7 on Lollipop, pretty decent I guess!

AP have details on the new gmail app, looks so, so good. Fucking finally can combine other accounts! Wonder if that's why exchange is broken on the latest L preview?

I'm a fucking idiot and just washed my Nexus 5 that I've had about two months. It's in a bag of rice right now, taken apart, battery out, etc. I'll check it in the morning. I'm really fucking pissed about it.

Also T-Mobile won't even offer the N5 anymore (probably because the release date of the N6 is right around the corner).

I dunno what I'm going to do but I just wanted to rant for now. If anyone has any other washing machine recovery ideas, please throw them out here.
Did it break? Can you even put it back together after taking the back off and the battery out?

Ensirius

Looking at Android 5.0 and iOS 8.1 makes me feel like they are two OS from totally different eras.

I cannot believe how FAR Google has pushed their operating system. I so want that Nexus 6, but seeing the price is less than ideal, and the camera does not produce good results for a 650$/€ phone, I'm not sure where to go from my Moto G (2013)

Looking at Android 5.0 and iOS 8.1 makes me feel like they are two OS from totally different eras.

I cannot believe how FAR Google has pushed their operating system. I so want that Nexus 6, but seeing the price is less than ideal, and the camera does not produce good results for a 650$/€ phone, I'm not sure where to go from my Moto G (2013)
You have any pictures taken by the Nexus 6 to prove this? If not, I'd say wait for reviews.

Nicktendo86

The thing that strikes me is how both companies updated the design of their mobile OS with similar theories but the implementation is completely different.

They both decided to go for a flat design with lots of colour. Difference is Apple seem to have gone for bright colours in almost random ways whereas Google have gone for more subdued colours which make sense, for example the status bar will turn red when looking at movies on the play store and will turn the same colour when you open the movies app. It just makes sense. Colour is also used to notify such as the status and nav bars turning orange when battery saving kicks in.

iOS looks designed to look good rather than function well, the transparency effects are nice but they don't actually do anything whereas the material way of doing things with shadows and animations give you visual feedback. iOS looks a mess to me to be honest. A pretty mess, but a mess all the same.

Groof

One incredible and mostly ignored use of the coloured status bar is in the calculator app. When everything is fine, it's a light blue colour. But if you try to calculate something that hits an error it turns red. So good.

Nicktendo86

One incredible and mostly ignored use of the coloured status bar is in the calculator app. When everything is fine, it's a light blue colour. But if you try to calculate something that hits an error it turns red. So good.

That is a beautiful detail. I giggled with delight when I found out the clock app changes colour as the day passes though, so good.

Hope there are even more details and surprises in the final version! One thing that has me worried though is the lack of consistency with material updated apps, specifically the hamburger sliding behaviour. Hope the final versions have a standard way of working/animation as I have seen three different types so far!

Volotaire

I am a bit sceptical about lollipop and these seemingly unnecessary animations, as well as some the UI design like the scrolling down multitwindow design, but it sounds like it's a great evolution.

That is a beautiful detail. I giggled with delight when I found out the clock app changes colour as the day passes though, so good.

Hope there are even more details and surprises in the final version! One thing that has me worried though is the lack of consistency with material updated apps, specifically the hamburger sliding behaviour. Hope the final versions have a standard way of working/animation as I have seen three different types so far!
It's the little details that enhances the entire experience. I can't wait until I get to try out lollipop.

Google should be on top of fixing things if there is enough complaints about this.

Groof

I am a bit sceptical about lollipop and these seemingly unnecessary animations, as well as some the UI design like the scrolling down multitwindow design, but it sounds like it's a great evolution.
It might seem superfluous, but they're done in such a way that not only are they unobtrusive, they're delightful to watch. It retains the same snappy speed as always, just with added flair.

The multitask view is a bit questionable I'll agree however, but it looks and works great.

Hasney

It might seem superfluous, but they're done in such a way that not only are they unobtrusive, they're delightful to watch. It retains the same snappy speed as always, just with added flair.

The multitask view is a bit questionable I'll agree however, but it looks and works great.

Yeah and even then, don't like it and we'll probably be able to change it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Good catch, that's pretty cool!

What it looks like, for those who can't try it themselves:

(The text says "Not a number" in Swedish.)

I don't really think there are any unnecessary animations. They add a lot of context to your interactions, as things are animated into place rather than just appearing from nowhere. Sure, there are some that are mainly visual flair, but it all works very well together and it looks and feels great.

Feeling some serious buyer's remorse with this G3 now that VZW is confirmed to be getting the Nexus 6.

Any idea what my chances are of selling it for a decent price? What's the best place to look for an opportunity like that? eBay? Craigslist?

Vhalyar

So... my office is offering me to trade in my old iPad 2 for any new or upcoming Android device, as a way of breaking the iOS monoculture (we make games for both).

Already have an iPhone 5 so I want to get a tablet. Right now it seems like the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (waterproof, wee! That's actually pretty awesome) or the upcoming Nexus 9 are my best choices. Any thoughts on either? Or other choices to look into? I basically know zilch about recent Android devices.

Hasney

So... my office is offering me to trade in my old iPad 2 for any new or upcoming Android device, as a way of breaking the iOS monoculture (we make games for both).

Already have an iPhone 5 so I want to get a tablet. Right now it seems like the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (waterproof, wee! That's actually pretty awesome) or the upcoming Nexus 9 are my best choices. Any thoughts on either? Or other choices to look into? I basically know zilch about recent Android devices.

Would you prefer a smaller tablet or keep around the same size with a much nicer spec? Reckon that's the only consideration you have to make between the two.

Think they're you best two options though, Nexus 7 as a slight outsider if you do want a smaller tablet but don't fancy Sonys software.

Vhalyar

Would you prefer a smaller tablet or keep around the same size with a much nicer spec? Reckon that's the only consideration you have to make between the two.

Think they're you best two options though, Nexus 7 as a slight outsider if you do want a smaller tablet but don't fancy Sonys software.

If I could have taken an iPad Mini-sized tablet back then, I would have done so with no regret. The fullsize iPad has more cons than pros to me.

Is there anything I should know about Sony offerings? Looking it I up I see a few mentions of bloatware.

If I could have taken an iPad Mini-sized tablet back then, I would have done so with no regret. The fullsize iPad has more cons than pros to me.

Is there anything I should know about Sony offerings? Looking it I up I see a few mentions of bloatware.

It would be insane to buy a Sony tablet over a nexus 7 or 9 IMO. The os update schedule will be terrible compared to a Nexus.

Look up the nexus 9. Its awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom