• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

do you mean duration?

the frame rates are insanely slowed down in those gif's. I didn't even know some of those animations existed until i saw them slowed down in those gifs

Damn, you kids have it so easy these days: 15 seconds ADB Installer

I remember getting the Galaxy Nexus and unlocking/rooting the same day. Everything was cake other than the USB driver installation. Now you barely need to do anything....

can get it done in under 15 seconds... buy a mac

NotBacon

so the GIFs are just too slow or something?

Not the GIFs themselves, but yes whoever made them purposely slowed everything down to snail pace.

Can someone explain to me that $30 Tmobile plan I've been hearing about? And if they pay for my ETF with taht?

Also curious: Besides not paying the ETF and only 100 minutes of talk, are there any caveats?

can get it done in under 15 seconds... Linux

Ftfy

Cue "lol neckbeard, command line, insert-something-about-linux-from-1999-here"

Groof

You people looking at those gifs thinking the animations in lollipop are slow think again. They run at the same speed as they always have, just with added flair. There's nothing slow or obtrusive about them.

kehs

Banned
You people looking at those gifs thinking the animations in lollipop are slow think again. They run at the same speed as they always have, just with added flair. There's nothing slow or obtrusive about them.

The transitions feel longer. Granted I'm looking at video and not on device.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been dying to see who would got there first. With all the hardware apple built in, I was certain it would be them. Especially with their new varying sized displays.

Apple has always been so terrible at that stuff though. I haven't really been following iOS that closely lately, but do they finally have proper dynamic layouts that can scale with display size and resolution, or are apps still fixed resolution?

The transitions feel longer. Granted I'm looking at video and not on device.

Some might be. Slightly. But it's not like you're sitting around waiting for stuff to finish animating. And there's always the animation scale setting if you want it snappier.

On Daily Tech News they mentioned that the new Gmail app in 5.0 supports other providers like Outlook and Yahoo. Has anyone tried this or is it not in the preview build yet?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
On Daily Tech News they mentioned that the new Gmail app in 5.0 supports other providers like Outlook and Yahoo. Has anyone tried this or is it not in the preview build yet?

There is no Gmail included in the preview, we just get to download the same version as everyone else. Or are you taking about that N4 port of an N6 build?

kehs

Banned
Decided to turn off LTE on my phone since I appear to have shoddy coverage. Two hour screen time, with 72% battery left.

I've always been ok with hspa+ speeds so, I'm happy with this new found battery life.

Maiar_m

Haha, N5 on L build, 48% battery before I went to sleep and put the phone on airplane mode (don't ask me why I don't just shut it down, I have no idea) woke up with 12% battery left. 1h45 screen time. Welp.

Nicktendo86

Apple has always been so terrible at that stuff though. I haven't really been following iOS that closely lately, but do they finally have proper dynamic layouts that can scale with display size and resolution, or are apps still fixed resolution?

Some might be. Slightly. But it's not like you're sitting around waiting for stuff to finish animating. And there's always the animation scale setting if you want it snappier.
I don't think so as devs have to update their apps to use the new sized keyboard.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haha, N5 on L build, 48% battery before I went to sleep and put the phone on airplane mode (don't ask me why I don't just shut it down, I have no idea) woke up with 12% battery left. 1h45 screen time. Welp.

Misc battery drain? There are some weird bugs with that, for sure. I'm not seeing it at all now though. I disabled NFC, which some have pointed out as the possible culprit, but I'm sure if that's really it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anybody know when the N9 LTE version will be available?

Why do people want to pay extra for tablets with mobile connectivity, and also pay extra for a data plan to go along with it? Don't you have a phone with a data plan? Can't you tether the tablet to that? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Is it because of shitty US carriers preventing or charging extra for tethering?

Maiar_m

Misc battery drain? There are some weird bugs with that, for sure. I'm not seeing it at all now though. I disabled NFC, which some have pointed out as the possible culprit, but I'm sure if that's really it.

Yep, Misc indeed. We'll see, it's part of the preview game anyways.

terrier

i do not really need a new phone right now but since my carrier gives us special treatment if we try to leave i could get an Z3C for 120€ (10€x12months) or a note 4 for 216€ (12 monthsx 18€)

Pfff i wish i wasn't a freak. I love my N5 and with android L even more but...

Sch1sm

i do not really need a new phone right now but since my carrier gives us special treatment if we try to leave i could get an Z3C for 120€ (10€x12months) or a note 4 for 216€ (12 monthsx 18€)

Pfff i wish i wasn't a freak. I love my N5 and with android L even more but...

Well. I guess Sony did say the entire Z series would get L. But maybe in 2015. And Samsung is just as bad for upgrade times. Cherish the N5, Terrier. Cherish it.

Tidd

Hello AndroidGAF. I hope you can help me.

My current situation is like this:
I use a Nexus 4 and I'm happy with it.
But I really need want a new phone and right now there are so many which look good. Nonetheless I can't really say "I WANT THIS PHONE!!!" because each one has different strengths and weaknesses.

My short list is this (order doesn't say anything):
  1. Z3 Compact
    + great size, great battery, SD Card
    - slow Android L update, No Stock Android
  2. OnePlus One
    + prize, 64GB, I guess faster Android L update than Sony, CyaonogenMod ( I love all the customization options)
    - bad customer service?, maybe yellow bar on display?
  3. Moto X 2014
    + near Stock Android & great software additions, fast Android L update
    - meh battery
  4. Nexus 6
    + best hardware of all phones, Android L
    - too big?

Maybe I should buy a used Nexus 5 and wait for next year till the 64bit processors are out?
This is such a tough decision. <.<

Why do people want to pay extra for tablets with mobile connectivity, and also pay extra for a data plan to go along with it? Don't you have a phone with a data plan? Can't you tether the tablet to that? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Is it because of shitty US carriers preventing or charging extra for tethering?

I am from India

There are no unlimited plans. But mobile internet is cheap.

8GB data is 20 USD (but from a cost of living comparison for me even more cheap for my lifestyle) for 3G. If you above the limit though the speed is reduced to 64kbps or buy an addon pack which is expensive (1GB for 5 USD). LTE is slowly being rolled out too now.

Public WiFi is non-existent or unreliable.

So, I would prefer to get the LTE model since it's cheaper for me to buy two 3G Internet plans.

Yes, in India you can guy DATA ONLY plans from cell providers.

Staab

Just received my Z3 compact, rocking the red/orange color, looks ballin' !
So snappy and sexy, now I just need Android L :O

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am from India

There are no unlimited plans. But mobile internet is cheap.

8GB data is 20 USD (but from a cost of living comparison for me even more cheap for my lifestyle) for 3G. If you above the limit though the speed is reduced to 64kbps or buy an addon pack which is expensive (1GB for 5 USD). LTE is slowly being rolled out too now.

Public WiFi is non-existent or unreliable.

So, I would prefer to get the LTE model since it's cheaper for me to buy two 3G Internet plans.

Yes, in India you can guy DATA ONLY plans from cell providers.

Ok, but do you actually use up all that data with just your phone? If not, why not tether your tablet to it rather than getting a second plan?

Ok, but do you actually use up all that data with just your phone? If not, why not tether your tablet to it rather than getting a second plan?

I do some months. I will also be travelling more next year including international, so usage will increase.

It's just a lot easier and simpler to have the separate plans and it's not expensive at all for me here.

reKon

Banned

I think that t mobile gives you 1 gb monthey data for any tablet you add for free?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does anyone know of any good apps for public image uploads? I just want something simple where I can send an image on my phone to that app via sharing (intents), and it gets uploaded to Minus, Abload or whatever and gives me the image link back.

I think that t mobile gives you 1 gb monthey data for any tablet you add for free?

Still so stupid that some carriers count data differently depending on which device is using it. Data is data, and I've paid for it, so let me spend it however I want! Which my carrier does. I don't think any Swedish carrier has such stupid restrictions.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh thank fuck. I thought they were just putting Smasungs ham-fisted variation into it.

They are building some of the back end stuff from Knox too, but in general SELinux is the problem.

You SHOULDN'T be able to get root so easily or else you have general security issues.

reKon

Banned
Back of my Xperia Z3 Compact already scratched. So much for staying naked. If you're going to have a glass back, you should probably use better glass for that Sony.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Come on Google, roll out the Material updates for your other apps too! I feel a bit sad seeing all these KK-style apps in my lovely L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom