• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

So I'll probably go with the $30 T-mobile plan initially with the Nexus 6, and if I'm not satisfied with the coverage I'll switch to StraightTalk(or Cricket) soon after. I can do that right?

Also, when you start StraightTalk, do you get to choose whether you'll get a T-mobile or At&t sim card?

-PXG-

I just wish I could hide and change icons on GEL without Xposed. Googy plz.

I'm using Apex so I can hide apps and make things a bit more uniform. Problem is, Apex doesn't have all of the cool lollipop exclusive animations yet. Plus, the app drawer is full screen

#firstworldproblems

Sch1sm

So I'll probably go with the $30 T-mobile plan initially with the Nexus 6, and if I'm not satisfied with the coverage I'll switch to StraightTalk(or Cricket) soon after. I can do that right?

Also, when you start StraightTalk, do you get to choose whether you'll get a T-mobile or At&t sim card?

Don't know much about switching afterward. But as for the SIM cards, answer is yes. However, you have to unlock the phone first.

Even though it's a huge phone, I'm still really interested in the Nexus 6. I may get that over a Nexus 9. My original Nexus 7 is still a warrior and will do better with L. Also, I don't use it that much. But I'd rather be on a Nexus 6 on Verizon instead of this GS4.

NotBacon

Don't know much about switching afterward. But as for the SIM cards, answer is yes. However, you have to unlock the phone first.

Shouldn't the Nexus 6 come unlocked from Google Play? And yeah isn't a switch from prepaid T-mobile to StraightTalk/Cricket as simple as a SIM switch considering there's no contract?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Here's something about the L dev preview that's a bit annoying and weird: With unlock security (PIN, pattern, etc) enabled, you can choose whether lock screen notifications should show everything or hide sensitive information (or just not show up at all). That's great. There are also notification settings for every installed app. You can block the app's notifications, set them as a priority (for priority mode, which only lets prioritized notifications through), and finally you can toggle whether or not its notifications are sensitive (which would then make their contents visible or hidden when the global setting for lock screen notifications is set to hide sensitive information). HOWEVER, this last option is only available if your device is encrypted. And I don't get that. What do these things have to do with each other? You can still set sensitive information to be shown or hidden for ALL notifications without encryption enabled, you just can't set it per app. Like, what? I would like to set some notifications to not be regarded as sensitive (such as the clock app), but because my phone isn't encrypted I can't. It's all or nothing. I know the final L release will have encryption enabled by default (the preview doesn't), so I guess it won't really be an issue, but it's just weird.

Sch1sm

Shouldn't the Nexus 6 come unlocked from Google Play? And yeah isn't a switch from prepaid T-mobile to StraightTalk/Cricket as simple as a SIM switch considering there's no contract?

Wasn't aware if.you were getting it straight from T Mobile or from Google Play. So you don't have to unlock. Disregard that portion. And like I said, no idea how the company works that out. I've never dealt with prepaid plans either, so. :c What ultimately matters is you can use either SIM, ATT or T Mobile.

Sch1sm

and finally you can toggle whether or not its notifications are sensitive (which would then make their contents visible or hidden when the global setting for lock screen notifications is set to hide sensitive information). HOWEVER, this last option is only available if your device is encrypted. And I don't get that. What do these things have to do with each other? You can still set sensitive information to be shown or hidden for ALL notifications without encryption enabled, you just can't set it per app.

Sorry for not noticing this and thus not multiquoting. But.
Errrr. Works for me. I deliberately took hangouts off sensitive notifications and got my younger brother to message me here to make sure. I have no encryption enabled. None. Never done it.

M4jCh3sb.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just wish I could hide and change icons on GEL without Xposed. Googy plz.

I'm using Apex so I can hide apps and make things a bit more uniform. Problem is, Apex doesn't have all of the cool lollipop exclusive animations yet. Plus, the app drawer is full screen

#firstworldproblems

Nova just added lollipop animations i believe.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry for not noticing this and thus not multiquoting. But.
Errrr. Works for me. I deliberately took hangouts off sensitive notifications and got my younger brother to message me here to make sure. I have no encryption enabled. None. Never done it.

M4jCh3sb.jpg

Are you absolutely sure you haven't encrypted your phone? Maybe you did it while too drunk to remember it? ;-)

But that's extremely odd then. I've read in several places that this depends on having encryption enabled, and this is what the notification settings for Hangouts (and every other app) look like for me (in Swedish, but you can probably figure it out):

No sensitivity toggle in sight.

Sch1sm

Are you absolutely sure you haven't encrypted your phone? Maybe you did it while too drunk to remember it? ;-)

But that's extremely odd then. This is what the notification settings for Hangouts (and every other app) look like for me (in Swedish, but you can probably figure it out):

No sensitivity toggle in sight.

If I drank, that would be plausible. No dice. :p

Try setting the global to show all notifications, rather than hide sensitive notification content? I have mine set to the former. Maybe when the global is sensitive it completely removes the toggle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I drank, that would be plausible. No dice. :p

Try setting the global to show all notifications, rather than hide sensitive notification content? I have mine set to the former. Maybe when the global is sensitive it completely removes the toggle.

Ooooh, that's it! It appeared once I changed the global setting. I thought the way it was supposed to work was that you set individual apps to NOT be sensitive when the global setting is to hide sensitive information, but apparently it's the other way around. Should really work both ways IMO, depending on what the global setting is. But I guess there aren't really that many apps I feel the need to hide, it's mostly texts and email I don't want displayed on the lock screen. So this should work out well.

Thanks!

Also, Android Police lied to me! They said the option is only there on encrypted devices. Man, who can you trust if not AP...

Sch1sm

Also, Android Police lied to me! They said the option is only there on encrypted devices. Man, who can you trust if not AP...

Ghetto Jesus. Only trust Ghetto Jesus. My avatar speaks volumes. Maybe they had the same issue you did. It's really backward though. You'd think if you had it set to don't show sensitive content, they'd give you a toggle to show the notification for some apps. Oh, Google.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ghetto Jesus. Only trust Ghetto Jesus. My avatar speaks volumes. Maybe they had the same issue you did. It's really backward though. You'd think if you had it set to don't show sensitive content, they'd give you a toggle to show the notification for some apps. Oh, Google.

Yeah, exactly. I was convinced that's how it was supposed to work. But this will work fine for me, now that I know.

Why not give review copies out? I know this isn't video games or movies, but still.
If I had to guess, Google is still working things out on the software side. Lollipop, updated Google apps, etc. I don't believe the software on the Nexus 6's that people went hands on with is final or feature complete.

Sch1sm

Wasn't the Nexus 5 sold out for like a month straight?

Yeah, but to be fair by the time you look through a load of reviews it'll only be 2 weeks at most until the N6 is restocked. If it does sell out. It's not as cheap as the N5 was, so it may not. There's always the "buy now potentially regret later" route, too, it's whatever. I'm more likely to wait for something than jump the gun.

You have to notify Google within 15 days. Then you have 14 days (after receiving authorization) to return the device. Then within another 14, at most, you get your refund.

Is it refund no questions asked? I'd like to try out a Nexus 6 to compare against my OPO.

Avixph

Here is what Google Calender 5.0's interface will look on a tablet.
'Day' view.
sf2RCaE.png

'Month' view.
ChkIRtA.png

'Week' view.
q7zMeoe.png

'Search' interface.
FlBxFSz.png

'Schedule' view.
moxvFW0.png

Sch1sm

Is it refund no questions asked? I'd like to try out a Nexus 6 to compare against my OPO.

No questions asked. They'll just email you an return merchandize form that you have to print out and ship along with the device. It's a pretty straightforward deal. Delete all your data on the device, usual. You have to return everything, though, down to tiny insignificant manuals no one looks at. Then everything will go back into your Google Wallet.

No questions asked. They'll just email you an return merchandize form that you have to print out and ship along with the device. It's a pretty straightforward deal. Delete all your data on the device, usual. You have to return everything, though, down to tiny insignificant manuals no one looks at. Then everything will go back into your Google Wallet.

Nice. Preordering then :D 2 week trial will be nice.

Material Design is the best looking take on flat UI out there. It looks absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to get 5.0 on my N5.

So it's the same story as always.

Tegra Announcement
"OMG NVIDIA TEGRA! So awesome! Look at all the numbers and charts! Best and fastest ever!"

Delay
"Just wait until it comes out! Still awesome!"

Release
"Look at all that POW-" (new iPad comes out) "Oh, okay then."

Not that it *really* matters these days. I think we've reached a point were tablet SoCs are more than powerful enough for day to day use.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't see a lot of difference between the KitKat and Lollipop versions of Play Music on my Nexus 7. I guess the artists/songs etc are square instead of rectangular now? Everything else looks pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Edit: I'm not subscribed to Google Play Music so I guess that means I don't get some of the features. No Songza playlists, whatever those are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom