• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Good. I haven't rooted in a long time and I don't see why anyone would anymore.

The buttons on my Galaxy S4 don't work anymore. Button Savior needs root, as does removing the temperature sensor check on the flash since that's now broken. Even before that, I like to customize the icons in the bar and fine tune everything to my liking.

As long as it's still easy enough (which flashing a ROM is), then it's cool. Otherwise I may as well go back to iOS if they ever increase the RAM and wait for jailbreaks if I'd be doing that with Android anyway.

It's even needed for Ad Away/

For Xperia owners, I recommend downloading the Galardo Xperia theme. It changes the navigation buttons to stock Android L design navigation buttons.

I like how Xperia allows for 3rd-party devs to customise the look of stuff like the navigation buttons, settings, etc.

However, there's no one from what I can find that emulates stock android entirely.

Hasney

Dammit Google, don't move I'm feeling lucky radio from the top of Play Music. it's all I ever click and moving it is going to confuse my still sleepy fingers on a morning.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Play music is so damn close to being perfect. Just add playlist sharing and searching and I'll drop Rdio for good! Of all the things they could shove G+ into, this is one I'd really be for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Play music is so damn close to being perfect. Just add playlist sharing and searching and I'll drop Rdio for good! Of all the things they could shove G+ into, this is one I'd really be for.

They've had that for a long while now. We share playlists all the time between GAFers.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They've had that for a long while now. We share playlists all the time between GAFers.

Sorry, I meant being able to search random people's playlists within the app. I really like the way Rdio does this. You can set your playlist to public, and other people can find it when they search for keywords. So say I'm interested in building a playlist for a road trip. I can just do a search for "road trip" and see all the playlists other people have created on the subject and I can add their songs to my own, or just subscribe to their playlist.

It's the one thing keeping me beholden to Rdio at the moment.

Edit:
Actually, seems like they added this since the last time I checked. Whelp, so long Rdio!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Good. I haven't rooted in a long time and I don't see why anyone would anymore.

Get ready to wait!

Default dpi settings are always terribly large. Why would I want a bigger screen just to show the same amount of information? In not 90 years old.

For that reason i will always root my phones.

Volotaire

I'm not sure how much luck I will get here, but I will try. For a few days I have been trying various APN settings for giffgaff on my Moto G ( a UK network operator leasing from 02). I still have not been able to access mobile data, SMS or calls. Does anyone have a possible solution? I have searched around on Google already.

Husker86

I'm not sure how much luck I will get here, but I will try. For a few days I have been trying various APN settings for giffgaff on my Moto G ( a UK network operator leasing from 02). I still have not been able to access mobile data, SMS or calls. Does anyone have a possible solution? I have searched around on Google already.

Have you called them?

I had trouble back when I used Straight Talk and I'm pretty sure they had to do something on their end.

jesalr

Weird question, but are you in Scotland my any chance?

Think only if you're subscribed to all access.
Subscribed
And if you're from US and Canada.
There's the kicker...
Why on earth would that be geo-gated?

NotBacon

Okay guise this is it:
t-mobile $30 prepaid = 5gb data + 100m talk + unl. text
t-mobile $45 contract = 2gb data + unl. talk and text

What's attracting me to the contract plan is that I can make payments on the phone instead of paying $650 all at once. Am I being rational?

The Nexus 6: hands-on with Google's phablet

spoiler:
it's big and he likes it's camera

I............ I.............. I.................. all over my keyboard.

SimleuqiR

First the rumours said 6 inches, and I said fuck that

But then somehow I was back in again.

Then they said $649, so probably £550, and I said fuck that

But then somehow I'm back in again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

I have no problems with the price. I paid $600+ for my Galaxy Nexus import (From the UK) when it came out. It's the size I have issue with.

Gonna wait to see how well my 5 holds up on "L" before I even contemplate buying Shamu.

I rather put that $600 towards the Nexus 9. That's one sweet tablet.

I have no problems with the price. I paid $600+ for my Galaxy Nexus import (From the UK) when it came out. It's the size I have issue with.

Gonna wait to see how well my 5 holds up on "L" before I even contemplate buying Shamu.

I rather put that $600 towards the Nexus 9. That's one sweet tablet.

Hopefully a Nexus 5 refresh will show up by Summer time (which would technically be over 1.5 years for that refresh).

kehs

Banned
Okay guise this is it:
t-mobile $30 prepaid = 5gb data + 100m talk + unl. text
t-mobile $45 contract = 2gb data + unl. talk and text

What's attracting me to the contract plan is that I can make payments on the phone instead of paying $650 all at once. Am I being rational?

It's not a contract for the service. Sign up for the $45, get the phone financed. Then switch over to the $30 perepaid plan. Keep paying your monthlies for the phone.

Hell, you might be able to just buy the phone without even getting a plan.

NotBacon

It's not a contract for the service. Sign up for the $45, get the phone financed. Then switch over to the $30 perepaid plan. Keep paying your monthlies for the phone.

Wait what? Finance through t-mobile without a plan? And I just thought of something, would that come with t-mobile bloatware? Hell, I'll probably just buy this thing outright.

You can't do that for 2 reasons. 1, when you cancel your service from a psotpaid line for any reason, you owe the remaining balance of the phone. 2 the 30 dollar plan is only for new customers. You can't get it if you are a current T-mobile customer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

You can pay straight up for a phone from tmobile.

kehs

Banned
You can't do that for 2 reasons. 1, when you cancel your service from a psotpaid line for any reason, you owe the remaining balance of the phone. 2 the 30 dollar plan is only for new customers. You can't get it if you are a current T-mobile customer.

Ah, I didn't know they required service for the financing. Nevermind me then.

thespot84

so i had fun last night:

my phone (OG moto x 4.4.4) was in my pocket most of the day and all night (about 14 hrs). I take it out to plug it in/go to bed, and i can't get past active display. The phone is hot. After many tries, I hold down power to shut it off. I have to go into the bootloader manually to turn it on into safe mode. Once it's on I see my battery went down to about 50% after 14 hours, and then down to 0% in the last 30 seconds.

I set it to charge all night. I wake up this morning and it needs another restart. After it's up and running, my wallpaper is back to default, my keyboard changed back to default, and most of my widgets are gone. Seems to be fine now. Anyone had anything like that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom