• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot how much of a difference a bit of customization can do.
My S3 is lighting fast with SlimKat, runs super smooth with Nova Launcher, and is a college-managing-machine with Any.do and Cal.
I'll still pick up a Z3 Compact or a OnePlus One (If I get another invite...), but I'm really happy with my phone at the moment.
I really wish Apple let the users access more. :/

Edit: oh top page umm...
moto x is best phone because reasons

Groof

I don't see a lot of difference between the KitKat and Lollipop versions of Play Music on my Nexus 7. I guess the artists/songs etc are square instead of rectangular now? Everything else looks pretty much the same, doesn't it?

Edit: I'm not subscribed to Google Play Music so I guess that means I don't get some of the features. No Songza playlists, whatever those are.
That is because it's barely a redesign. It's in some sort of design limbo between holo and material. The songza integration adds a bit of flair but not only is it hidden behind a pay wall, but it's also region locked. So most people won't even get to see it for a long time, if ever.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sup Android GAF. I'm a current Windows Phone heathen, but I am ready to return to the fold. I've been eyeing this Beauty:

1299083-wiko-wax-1.jpg

The Wiko Wax 4G
Specs:

Nvidia Tegra4i SOC
ARM Cortex-A9 r4 - 1.7 GHz (quad-core)
1gB of RAM (might be a bit low?)
4gB on-board storage

Price: €199
Seems worth the price, right?

My main concern is that the RAM might be a bit low, but I haven't had any severe issues with my Lumia 920, which also has 1gB.
On board storage is miniscule, but you can apparently root it, so installing apps directly to the SD card shouldn't be an issue. (what the fuck Google, why did you do this)

(Also what the fuck is up with IE10 capitalising words that have no reason to be so?)

Blablurn

Sup Android GAF. I'm a current Windows Phone heathen, but I am ready to return to the fold. I've been eyeing this Beauty:

Specs: Nvidia Tegra 4i - 1.7 GHz (quad-core)

Price: €199
Seems worth the price, right?

(Also what the fuck is up with IE10 capitalising words that have no reason to be so?)

Whats the name of this phone?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Whats the name of this phone?

Sorry, totally jumped the gun, I was trying to use Tab to format the text, hit enter and posted prematurely :lol. It's called the Wax 4G by a company called Wiko. Only available in Europe as of now, company is a relatively new french actor, 2 years on the market

Zeppu

Sorry, totally jumped the gun, I was trying to use Tab to format the text, hit enter and posted prematurely :lol. It's called the Wax 4G by a company called Wiko. Only available in Europe as of now, company is a relatively new french actor, 2 years on the market

For that price and those specs you're much better off getting a Moto G, at least you'll know for certain you'd be getting timely updates.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
For that price and those specs you're much better off getting a Moto G, at least you'll know for certain you'd be getting timely updates.

Moto G costs exactly the same, has an older generation CPU (A7 vs A9) at a lower clockrate (1.2 vs 1.7ghz), I don't see the benefits. I also think it looks kinda ugly :p. But you're right in that Motorola at the very least keeps the OS up to date, they've even confirmed Lollipop for the Moto G already, whereas the phone I'm looking at hasn't even been updated to KitKat, however they have promised that KitKat will be out before the year's end. I bet Jellybean will feel like an upgrade over WP8.1 anyway :x

I imagine performance will be roughly the same between the Moto G and this one. I just happen to like the design more, and as I said, price is exactly the same.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bet not. I also bet you will refeyr buying that cheap no name phone over the moto g or a used flagship from last year.

Yes, let's dismiss a phone purely out of a lack of brand recognition. I mean hey, I should just get an iPhone, I bet Apple has a higher mindshare than any Android phone manufacturer.

Hasney

When are you upgrading? If the community gets around it, you might get custom OS updates at least, which will be fine, so may have to look into it beforehand.

Yes, let's dismiss a phone purely out of a lack of brand recognition.

Honestly, it does matter with Android. If you're not getting software updates, the app market shrinks and you're a lot less secure. There's been hundreds of similar devices come and go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
When are you upgrading? If the community gets around it, you might get custom OS updates at least, which will be fine, so may have to look into it beforehand.

I was actually checking that out, you can root it and install KitKat with no issue apparently. The official forum even stickied the thread talking about it :lol
Manufacturer has said they're gonna release an official update soon.

But you raise a good point (by making an actual point) about app support. The Moto G is a nice phone, my friend has the 4G version and it seems capable enough for the price point.
Any other recommendations in the same price class?

Hasney

I was actually checking that out, you can root it and install KitKat with no issue apparently. The official forum even stickied the thread talking about it :lol
Manufacturer has said they're gonna release it.

Sweet, I was just Googling around and can't find much about it in English understandably, so I couldn't recommend!

Ask them if they have plans for Lollipop and if they have a timeframe then go with that if it's at least by early next year. Read a couple of user opinions and most people do seem to like it, but 2 people mentioned a crack happening within a month (2 weeks for one guy) without a drop. Just a hairline thing happening, so make sure their warranty is good too just in case.

Zeppu

Yes, let's dismiss a phone purely out of a lack of brand recognition. I mean hey, I should just get an iPhone, I bet Apple has a higher mindshare than any Android phone manufacturer.

In here you see people dismissing brand recognized phones because they don't get timely updates. Realistically speaking, if a phone released 6 months ago is getting a software update released a year ago in two months, I wouldn't have much confidence in receiving timely updates. If you don't mind buying a brand new phone with 15-month old software, go for it. If, however, you think you'll be longing for that sweet, sweet taste of Lollipop then I would recommend you go not for a 'brand' phone, but a 'brand' phone which has a track record of timely updates, hence Moto.

That being said, if you're saying roms for KitKat already exist, and if there's community support (check XDA) then maybe this may not be an issue at all. It's a matter of weighing things against each other.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet, I was just Googling around and can't find much about it in English understandably, so I couldn't recommend!

Ask them if they have plans for Lollipop and if they have a timeframe then go with that if it's at least by early next year. Read a couple of user opinions and most people do seem to like it, but 2 people mentioned a crack happening within a month (2 weeks for one guy) without a drop. Just a hairline thing happening, so make sure their warranty is good too just in case.

In here you see people dismissing brand recognized phones because they don't get timely updates. Realistically speaking, if a phone released 6 months ago is getting a software update released a year ago in two months, I wouldn't have much confidence in receiving timely updates. If you don't mind buying a brand new phone with 15-month old software, go for it. If, however, you think you'll be longing for that sweet, sweet taste of Lollipop then I would recommend you go not for a 'brand' phone, but a 'brand' phone which has a track record of timely updates, hence Moto.

This here is why I love this forum as much as I do.
Going with Motorola would be a wiser choice since they have plans to put Lollipop on the Moto G.
Though Sony put ICS on the Xperia Arc and it ran like ass post update, then again, they did warn you beforehand that the experience might not be optimal.
Any recommendations in the same price/spec-class as the Moto G? I'm not 100% sold on the design, though it does look quite a bit better in person (My friend got one last month)

Edit: I should say I have every intention to root my device, so having to install custom ROMs isn't that big of a deal for me.

Hasney

Going with Motorola would be a wiser choice since they have plans to put Lollipop on the Moto G.
Though Sony put ICS on the Xperia Arc and it ran like ass post update, then again, they did warn you beforehand that the experience might not be optimal.
Any recommendations in the same price/spec-class as the Moto G? I'm not 100% sold on the design, though it does look quite a bit better in person (My friend got one last month)

Edit: I should say I have every intention to root my device, so having to install custom ROMs isn't that big of a deal for me.

I think the only real mainstream competitor to the Moto G 4G's price point at the moment is the Xperia E3, which might even be getting a price cut soon.

Wiko Wax does look like a good option in the grand scheme of things at this price point, but it is very much buyer beware. I'd probably end up going like that as the exciting option, because that's what I'm like. But the Moto and the E3 are much safer in terms of knowing what you're going to get.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think the only real mainstream competitor to the Moto G 4G's price point at the moment is the Xperia E3, which might even be getting a price cut soon.

Wiko Wax does look like a good option in the grand scheme of things at this price point, but it is very much buyer beware. I'd probably end up going like that as the exciting option, because that's what I'm like. But the Moto and the E3 are much safer in terms of knowing what you're going to get.

After my adventure with WP8 I'd rather be sure of what I'm getting instead of re-experiencing the horror of "Updates soon, promise!", thanks for the second opinion guys :). Totally getting the Moto G instead.

Zeppu

Okay then if you intend to go for rooting from the getgo, for all intents and purposes you're getting a KitKat phone. Do some detective work and check how long after November 2013 KitKat roms started popping up. That should give you an idea of third-party developer support and therefore how long you'd get custom roms for newer versions.

Unfortunately there aren't many other good phones (using the criteria defined in previous posts) in that price range. Maybe the Oneplus One if you're willing to spend a bit more and don't mind a larger phone.

Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ordered my fiancee basically a free LG G2. Was a buck on amazon on contract and she shattered her old phone working at the kids school yesterday.

Should be a nice upgrade for her from her One X+ both in processor speed and camera.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh forgot to mention Nova already pushing a full Android L version in beta and some of the features just also hit stable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bet not. I also bet you will refeyr buying that cheap no name phone over the moto g or a used flagship from last year.
Know what dude. I think I owe you an apology for being so quick to dismiss your post. It might have been rash,but everyone's saying pretty much the same thing. I knew it was better to check with you guys first.

Moto G it is!

Easy - I also recently ditched Windows phone to come back to Android - picked up the Moto G 4G (thanks to the Gaffers who recommended it), love it, great phone for the price and nice to be back on Android.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I suppose it looks good enough. It feels great in the hand for sure. Do you know what the deal is with those nifty flip cases?
Some of them say they are for the 2nd gen Moto G. Does that refer to the 4G/LTE version? Don't want to order a case that ends up not fitting. I really dig how they integrated the flap with the actual back plate.

Zeppu

I suppose it looks good enough. It feels great in the hand for sure. Do you know what the deal is with those nifty flip cases?
Some of them say they are for the 2nd gen Moto G. Does that refer to the 4G/LTE version? Don't want to order a case that ends up not fitting. I really dig how they integrated the flap with the actual back plate.

2nd gen is the 5" 2014 version of the phone. AFAIK both Moto G's had 4G/LTE so just make sure you get the 2014 version.

Both versions of the phone have flip cover: http://www.motorola.com/us/Moto-G-2nd-Gen/moto-g-2nd-gen-pdp.html#story-customization-moto-g-titan

Groof

Weird! They sell two versions here. One with 4G and a slightly cheaper one without. Unless I overlooked something. Thanks for clarifying.
There are 3. Original Moto g without 4g, original Moto g with 4g and then the new one.

Don't think the new 5" one is out in Sweden yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There are 3. Original Moto g without 4g, original Moto g with 4g and then the new one.

Don't think the new 5" one is out in Sweden yet.

Actually it is. Must've come out in this last week. Better camera too. Nice :)

Edit: The store specs says the 2nd Gen doesn't have 4G. Truth or goof on their behalf? 4G is more important than camera lol

Weird! They sell two versions here. One with 4G and a slightly cheaper one without. Unless I overlooked something. Thanks for clarifying.

Will the unlocked 2013 Moto X work where you live. Usually those slightly used can be had for almost the price of a new Moto G.

Groof

Actually it is. Must've come out in this last week. Better camera too. Nice :)

Edit: The store specs says the 2nd Gen doesn't have 4G. Truth or goof on their behalf? 4G is more important than camera lol
Oh nice. But I don't think it has 4g support.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You guys mean it doesn't have LTE. I may be wrong but he may be referring to hspa+ when he says 4g which the new Moto G has.

I could be wrong on his needs though.

I mean actual 4G :p, H+ is fast enough tho, my carrier has it so not an issue.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You guys mean it doesn't have LTE. I may be wrong but he may be referring to hspa+ when he says 4g which the new Moto G has.

I could be wrong on his needs though.

No, HSPA+ is referred to as Turbo 3G or something here in Sweden. We don't call stuff 4G that's really 3G here, that's an American carrier tactic/scam. What's advertised as 4G here is LTE. So he probably means the right thing.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No, HSPA+ is referred to as Turbo 3G or something here I'm Sweden. We don't call stuff 4G that's really 3G here, that's an American carrier tactic/scam. What's advertised as 4G here is LTE. So he probably means the right thing.

Actually, Telia's "4G" back in 2009 didn't actually meet the requirements of the standard :p. But yeah, these days we're up to speed!

Just saw the unlocked models starting at $192 on amazon. Moto g is $180 I thought.

That's the US Amazon? They don't ship to Europe do they?:p

Hasney

The Xperia E3 has got LTE and it will be getting lollipop. Honestly didn't know the new Moto G didn't have LTE, that's a huge bummer.

reKon

Banned
The Xperia E3 has got LTE and it will be getting lollipop. Honestly didn't know the new Moto G didn't have LTE, that's a huge bummer.

There was a price cut at one of the retailers for it too. It's now $140. At that price it should have had 8 GB of internal memory instead of the 4. The screen res is shit too.

Hasney

There was a price cut at one of the retailers for it too. It's now $140. At that price it should have had 8 GB of internal memory instead of the 4. The screen res is shit too.

Heh yeah, even with an SD slot, that's actually weak. In my head, I now assume 16GB is the minimum any phone would be so I didn't even look at that.

Personally, I'd still take LTE over screen res, but the 4GB would be almost unusable without a lot of tinkering to make apps fully install on the SD card.

Guess it was better to isolate the project; it could have been less feature-wise if it was a simple Gmail extension.

This app seems to feature many new things. If this were to be added to gmail, it might become to confusing for users.
Good points. After reading the verge article and Google's blog post, this just seems like a completely redesigned version of Gmail. Even the name is Inbox by Gmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom