• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

It just changed on your account overnight? You didn't request a change? I was looking at the 30gb plan that's on sale this month and wasn't sure I wanted to pay the difference, even though it's a pretty good deal.

Nah. I had to call them to ask them to offer it to me. It was a really quick call though.

Husker86

It just changed on your account overnight? You didn't request a change? I was looking at the 30gb plan that's on sale this month and wasn't sure I wanted to pay the difference, even though it's a pretty good deal.

You have to call retentions and request it. Super easy, the rep I had didn't even hesitate when I mentioned it.

I recently switched to the 30GB promo, but just changed back for this. I still think 30GB is a good deal, but I wasn't going to be using that much with my group any time soon so I saved the ~$25 extra it would have cost me and now have 20GB.

Ashes

Banned
Not that anybody here should be interested, but I was listening in on folks talking about windows and google yesterday.

One of them said:

Who is responsible for the monopoly of PC OSes? Windows.
Who is responsible for that not happening on Mobile - in other words the democratisation of OSes on mobile? Google.

#

Not really sure where they were going with that, but it got me thinking whether there is actually a benefit to Android PCs taking over the homespace.

CaLe

I'm loving my LG g3, but I'm afraid the device won't be getting any updates. Is LG known for timely updates or should I be worried and return it?

Groof

I'm loving my LG g3, but I'm afraid the device won't be getting any updates. Is LG known for timely updates or should I be worried and return it?
Timely no, but they've been getting better. How they'll fare with lollipop is anyone's guess though

CaLe

Timely no, but they've been getting better. How they'll fare with lollipop is anyone's guess though

Ugh.. :(

What's the worst that can happen? Most apps in the store won't work on the phone? Or most likely a select few that requires lolollip ? I can't see developers not being backward compatible, they'll lose so many potential sales...

Groof

Ugh.. :(

What's the worst that can happen? Most apps in the store won't work on the phone? Or most likely a select few that requires lolollip ? I can't see developers not being backward compatible, they'll lose so many potential sales...
Worst case scenario is that developers will start going lollipop exclusive, which I sincerely doubt. Most apps will be backwards compatible.

But like the others said, LG has come a looongg way and I doubt they'll leave their flagship lagging behind for too long. Expect maybe a 3-4 month delay though

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wooh, finally got the Play Music update! Before and after, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

screenshot_2014-10-23uprji.png
screenshot_2014-10-23h1pf5.png

Not exactly a massive difference, and this doesn't quite feel like a complete Material makeover yet, but still!

that's how most of the CDMA devices are nowadays.

until VoLTE. coming Soony...

Wow, really? That's awful. You crazy Americans should join the rest of the world on the GSM bandwagon (I know some of your carriers are already there).

tzare

Finally couldn't resist and ordered a note 4, will install google launcher, since too used to stock android on my n5, but will probably miss it since it is only home screen and app drawer.
Any one knows what bloatwate is safe to uninstall or disable without gimping spen features? Has it knock on like other flagships? Or possibility to wake the device by using voice commands?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah have been using L dev prev since it was out, never had this issue until today's update.

Can't be bothered with a wipe and setting up everything again, got no time for that right now.

Maybe it's an issue with the old preview then. It did feel much less complete than the new one, and probably had a lot more bugs. Updating to the new one is definitely worth it!

Nicktendo86

Yeah have been using L dev prev since it was out, never had this issue until today's update.

Can't be bothered with a wipe and setting up everything again, got no time for that right now.

The old preview (a port of which I have running on my N4) seems to have issues with a lot of Google's material updated apps, music and newsstand are two for example that will force close. The updated play store also doesn't work.

I will keep the old versions on the apps on my phone until the official images are realised now I think, can't be arsed flashing and wiping any more!

Finally couldn't resist and ordered a note 4, will install google launcher, since too used to stock android on my n5, but will probably miss it since it is only home screen and app drawer.
Any one knows what bloatwate is safe to uninstall or disable without gimping spen features? Has it knock on like other flagships? Or possibility to wake the device by using voice commands?

Why would you get this over a Nexus 6 if you want stock?
I installed the now launcher on a friends s4. It still sucks and is no where near a vanilla experience still.

JordanKZ

The old preview (a port of which I have running on my N4) seems to have issues with a lot of Google's material updated apps, music and newsstand are two for example that will force close. The updated play store also doesn't work.

I will keep the old versions on the apps on my phone until the official images are realised now I think, can't be arsed flashing and wiping any more!

That's because it doesn't actually support API Level 21, it's an odd half step.

Thankfully, Lollipop setup just lets you say "i want to restore this device.". It's far easier and takes about 30 minutes.

4.4.2 came out December. Kit Kat released in March for the international G2 and April for US models.

Roughly 3-4 months. Not horrible, but could be better of course.

More like closer to 5 - 6 months. KitKat came out the very end of October. And yes, that's pretty horrible.

The waiting process didn't start for users when 4.4.2 came out. The waiting started when 4.4 did.

Lg g3 owners may as well plan on lollipop in the spring some time. G2 owners? Good luck! Lol

Fatalah

What is the deal with my moto x not being able to talk and use the internet at the same time? What is that feature called? Its rather annoying and I have 14 days to return this phone.

Wait a second. Verizon is capable of simultaneous talk and data! My 2013 Moto X does this all the time.

I remember older iPhones didn't have this functionality. It's been a non-issue for Android Verizon phones for years!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
More like closer to 5 - 6 months. KitKat came out the very end of October. And yes, that's pretty horrible.

The waiting process didn't start for users when 4.4.2 came out. The waiting started when 4.4 did.

Lg g3 owners may as well plan on lollipop in the spring some time. G2 owners? Good luck! Lol

LG isn't even going to update to 4.4.4, they just patched 4.4.2. I expect loli to be late Q1/2015, but I knew that before I got my G3.

teiresias

Finally decided to flash Lollipop on my N5. Loving it so far though I wish I could set a "dark theme" for the overall system UI. That damn white keyboard is killing me.

Groof

Finally decided to flash Lollipop on my N5. Loving it so far though I wish I could set a "dark theme" for the overall system UI. That damn white keyboard is killing me.
The keyboard actually has a material light and dark theme. It's in the settings for the keyboard.

JordanKZ

Aw, thanks, missed that since it was late last night when I decided to flash, lol.

I had to turn on the dark keyboard, the light one isn't for me.

The upside of Lollipop is that lowest brightness is SUPER low now. Which is excellent, the Nexus 7 (2013) screen was way too bright at the lowest setting.

teiresias

I had to turn on the dark keyboard, the light one isn't for me.

The upside of Lollipop is that lowest brightness is SUPER low now. Which is excellent, the Nexus 7 (2013) screen was way too bright at the lowest setting.

I just hope "Material Dark" gets set as an option for the entire UI. That would be glorious.

j-wood

Droid-Life just posted the review of the Z3 compact and said the software lag was terrible.

Did I just make a huge mistake getting the Z3 on Tmobile? (i'm assuming they are the same phone, just the size difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom