• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Droid-Life just posted the review of the Z3 compact and said the software lag was terrible.

Did I just make a huge mistake getting the Z3 on Tmobile? (i'm assuming they are the same phone, just the size difference).

I think kehs has a Z3c and has never complained of any lag

kehs

Banned
Droid-Life just posted the review of the Z3 compact and said the software lag was terrible.

Did I just make a huge mistake getting the Z3 on Tmobile? (i'm assuming they are the same phone, just the size difference).

I think kehs has a Z3c and has never complained of any lag

droidlife said:
For most of my testing, I left the stamina modes off, but once I started utilizing them, the battery on this phone just wouldn’t die.

droidlife said:
And the lag…my lord, the lag. As a reminder, the Xperia Z3 Compact is powered by 2GB RAM and a Snapdragon 801 processor – there shouldn’t be lag. But a simple task like swiping up from home into Google Now isn’t smooth. If you want to take a picture in a timely manner, good luck, as the camera is beyond slow to load. And don’t even try to record a video or stopping one without waiting through a 5 second loading period on each end. Even interacting with notifications is slow. If an email comes in and I tap the “Delete” button in the notification shade, there is a solid second some times before that notification goes away.

Derp.

I've never bother with the stamina modes, but I know reKon mentioned the cpu throttling makes the phone laggy. I've come across some random stuttering stuff, but that's usually when trying to switch between chrome and something else. (chrome ram lol)

I bet drooooooidlife will love the Z3V though.

Staab

Lag on the Z3c, they be crazy ?
I had it for 3 days, playing games, music, videos, installing shit while browsing etc...
Never had any lag :/

j-wood

Derp.

I've never bother with the stamina modes, but I know reKon mentioned the cpu throttling makes the phone laggy. I've come across some random stuttering stuff, but that's usually when trying to switch between chrome and something else. (chrome ram lol)

I bet drooooooidlife will love the Z3V though.

So are you saying the stamina mode is what causes the lag?

tzare

Why would you get this over a Nexus 6 if you want stock?
I installed the now launcher on a friends s4. It still sucks and is no where near a vanilla experience still.
Well, 34.5€ a month unlimited calls, sms and 4gb data for 18 months , phone included, with the possibility to pay only 19,5€ in 12 months instead of 34€ because my carrier, so far, allows something we call 'amago' after 12 months , which is like being free again, somehow. And no nexus in sight so far at Vodafone so... plus it is a bit too big. Note is probably the biggest i could find comfortable for daily use. Oh, an spen, i love it as i already own a note8

Battery Saver mode on the Nexus 5 running Lollipop also makes the phone run like shit. I can't imagine ever really using it, unless I really need to keep it alive.

Fatalah

Not true for all phones.

I had simultaneous voice/data on my freaking HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the first LTE phones with separate LTE modems is the reason for this. Pretty sure my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon could do it too.

Yeah, it's pretty much up to the hardware manufacturer to build-in voice+data capabilities on Verizon. Most have enjoyed this functionality 3-4 years.

thenexus6

I downloaded that lollipop keyboard but still prefer swift key. Luckily they just released two material design keyboard themes. £0.69 each but whatever I grabbed the white one free with some of my google reward credit.

Mindwipe

No issue here.

You can slow down the processor as part of the battery saving options. I imagine that might cause lag (never tried it). But it's not one of the default Stamina modes, you've got to specifically go and find it and turn it on.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Battery Saver mode on the Nexus 5 running Lollipop also makes the phone run like shit. I can't imagine ever really using it, unless I really need to keep it alive.

Yeah, it's not a very nice experience at all. But it's just meant for those times when you absolutely need to squeeze a little extra battery life out of the phone. While at home I never activate it, I just keep using the phone normally and then charge it.

Husker86

I downloaded that lollipop keyboard but still prefer swift key. Luckily they just released two material design keyboard themes. £0.69 each but whatever I grabbed the white one free with some of my google reward credit.

I have tried so very hard to like SwiftKey. I use it on my iPhone since anything is better than the Apple keyboard, but every time I've tried it on Android, without fail, it inserts spaces frequently when I'm hitting bottom-row letters; this leads me to having several extra, nonsensical words in my sentence before I realize it. I've kept it for weeks hoping it would learn, but it never does.

I never have this issue with the Google Keyboard.

edit: I normally use gesture typing on both keyboards, but when I have two hands on the phone I'll go back to tapping each letter since it's marginally faster/less prone to errors. These are the times I run into that issue with SwiftKey.

Where can I find the 5.0 keyboard?

Is the battery life even better without BS mode?

To be honest? Nope. I get roughly the same amount of battery life out of my Nexus 5 with Lollipop, and sometimes, there's a weird battery drain from "Miscellaneous" apps randomly that drains more battery than the screen, which is crazy. Hopefully, it will get ironed out in the final Lollipop release.

2.5-3 hours of screen on-time. I'm hoping the Nexus 6 actually has a good battery or the GSM Turbo variant with its absurd 3,900mAh battery comes out soon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Back from my unfair ban. Just saying I'm getting a Nexus 9 because it's the tablet I always said Google should make. They listened to me. 4:3, about 9 inches. I win. You 16:10 chumps are wrong again.

Not picking up a Nexus 6 because, while I want it, I'm not supporting Google ripping us off. I think the phone will drop in price fairly quickly. It isn't an iPhone.

reKon

Banned
No issue here.

You can slow down the processor as part of the battery saving options. I imagine that might cause lag (never tried it). But it's not one of the default Stamina modes, you've got to specifically go and find it and turn it on.

Yeah, there's an option to slow down the processor. It wasn't on by default the first time I went in digging through the menu so I don't know what they hell is going on with droid-life's device.

Btw, I leave stamina mode on at all times on my phone, but I leave that processor performance checkbox unchecked. Because I'm at work for most of the day and I have access to hangouts/gmail/the internet, there's really no need to me keep data on when my screen is off. This doesn't affect performance and the phone is speedy little beast.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

To be honest? Nope. I get roughly the same amount of battery life out of my Nexus 5 with Lollipop, and sometimes, there's a weird battery drain from "Miscellaneous" apps randomly that drains more battery than the screen, which is crazy. Hopefully, it will get ironed out in the final Lollipop release.

2.5-3 hours of screen on-time. I'm hoping the Nexus 6 actually has a good battery or the GSM Turbo variant with its absurd 3,900mAh battery comes out soon.

I'm definitely seeing better battery life than with 4.4.4. I've gotten over 5 hours of SOT out of my N5 with the new preview.

reKon

Banned
I'm definitely seeing better battery life than with 4.4.4. I've gotten over 5 hours of SOT out of my N5 with the new preview.

What did you get before?

I'm excited because when I upgrade my Nexus 7 to L, it might feel like it has the same battery life from day one

Back from my unfair ban. Just saying I'm getting a Nexus 9 because it's the tablet I always said Google should make. They listened to me. 4:3, about 9 inches. I win. You 16:10 chumps are wrong again.

Not picking up a Nexus 6 because, while I want it, I'm not supporting Google ripping us off. I think the phone will drop in price fairly quickly. It isn't an iPhone.
nexus 9 looks solid. If I didn't just blow 500 on a watch I'd get one. 4:3 is definitely the best.

And yeah I hope the nexus 6 bombs fucking hard.

Cipherr

I'm cancelling your sale out by not buying the 9.

Fuck 4:3.
86x97Cs.png

You think google doesn't have the right to charge us that much BC its not an iphone? Manufacturing costs are higher when something sells less.

Your logic makes zero sense.

Welcome back! I thought you were perma'd for awhile.

I think I'm getting the Nexus 6 though the price is high.

Doopliss

Dunno if I got lucky or if a wider roll-out is starting, but just now I was able to force the Play Store to update itself to the Material version (Settings -> tap on Build version) whereas it didn't work this morning.

Dunno if I got lucky or if a wider roll-out is starting, but just now I was able to force the Play Store to update itself to the Material version (Settings -> tap on Build version) whereas it didn't work this morning.

Worked for me too. First time that button ever did anything other than tell me its up to date.

NotBacon

And yeah I hope the nexus 6 bombs fucking hard.

Not going to happen. I'm purchasing 600 of them.

Ripping us off? Yes it's more expensive, but it's still a good deal. If anything they're just trying to make up for the money they lost by keeping the N5 so cheap haha.

Ripping us off? Yes it's more expensive, but it's still a good deal. If anything they're just trying to make up for the money they lost by keeping the N5 so cheap haha.

they weren't selling the nexus 5 at a loss, just near cost.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Greenify. Probably the Xposed module if you want more customization features.
Ironically, I did get Greenify based on some prior research.

When 5.0 comes out, will root access be gone? I didn't root this phone myself so I'm going to need to re-root this phone.

It's absolutely pathetic and disgusting that these manufacturers put out phones with stupid fucking specs and then they still have lag. The definition of not giving a fuck about user experience in favour of their own branding. That goes for sony/samsung/anyone.

Every person that I have seen say the nexus 6 is overpriced has never once given a legitimate reason why it us overpriced.

3phemeral

Thanks to a friend, I actually got an invite to Inbox. I'll be forcing myself to use this daily (aside from making sure I'm getting important emails), so hopefully I end up liking it. I really don't want to use this in conjunction with GMail.

It's absolutely pathetic and disgusting that these manufacturers put out phones with stupid fucking specs and then they still have lag. The definition of not giving a fuck about user experience in favour of their own branding. That goes for sony/samsung/anyone.

It's the same with the apps and games on the Play store. I get stuttering in some games on top of the line phone, One Plus One due to their poor programming job. The hardware could obviously make the game run better, but they have poor optimization.

Volotaire

Yes, one of the reasons Iove Apple's optimisations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom