• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I wish they'd update the damn icon, too. I don't want to wait for 5.0 to get that.

e: Of course, just when I posted this, I checked my home screen again and the icon was updated over night.
This usually has to do with the launcher not refreshing after an app on the home screen has updated. A reboot or flushing the launcher out of memory usually helps speed it up

Prozel

Currently rocking an iPhone 5 which was awesome, but it's time for something new. I consider the Z2 since the Z3 cost a Premium and doesn't seem to add anything essential.

Has anyone made similar switch? I think the Sony is gorgeous but haven't tried it thoroughly in terms of system (Lag, like you Guys talk about) and size.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Getting a lot more brief Bluetooth audio dropouts now than with KK. Don't know if it's an issue with L or the latest Play Music, but it's pretty annoying.

What I realized, everything you label as "done" in Inbox appears to be deleted in Gmail. But in Inbox you can still search for it in case you ever need to go back and reference something.

As others have said, I'm pretty sure they are archived rather than deleted. I don't quite like that though, as I like putting stuff under various labels so I can easily go back and find it later if I need to. I never just archive stuff.

I just noticed in the latest Play Store version, the menu icon animates into a back arrow. Kinda neat. They also updated the notification icon for apps being updated.

Yeah, that's a nice little animation. Many/most of the material redesigns use it. I like that you can slowly drag the navigation drawer out and see the icon animate accordingly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I finally ordered the 2014 model Moto G, can't wait to get it and familiarise myself with Android again. Never again, Nokia, never again.

-PXG-

Working on my G3 running Kit Kat. Invites were sent to those who requested one by e-mail to inbox@gmail.com

Now that I'm more awake, lol....

I wrote to that email and requested an invite too. I was just wondering if those running lollipop have a higher priority. I know it's not exclusive. There is an iOS version of the app too.

terrier

Getting a lot more brief Bluetooth audio dropouts now than with KK. Don't know if it's an issue with L or the latest Play Music, but it's pretty annoying.

As others have said, I'm pretty sure they are archived rather than deleted. I don't quite like that though, as I like putting stuff under various labels so I can easily go back and find it later if I need to. I never just archive stuff.

Yeah, that's a nice little animation. Many/most of the material redesigns use it. I like that you can slowly drag the navigation drawer out and see the icon animate accordingly.

the are a few issues in this preview, for example if i click on a youtube link on chrome it will open a blank tab no matter what i do instead of opening Youtube

Omlagus

Now that I'm more awake, lol....

I wrote to that email and requested an invite too. I was just wondering if those running lollipop have a higher priority. I know it's not exclusive. There is an iOS version of the app too.

Don't think so. I'm still on KK on my Z1 and got Inbox invite yesterday.

This usually has to do with the launcher not refreshing after an app on the home screen has updated. A reboot or flushing the launcher out of memory usually helps speed it up

Yeha, I think it was the Google app that I updated today. When I went to the home screen after the update, it was empty, then it refreshed for a second and then all icons showed up again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
the are a few issues in this preview, for example if i click on a youtube link on chrome it will open a blank tab no matter what i do instead of opening Youtube

Every YouTube link here on GAF now opens the mobile site rather than the app for me. Pretty annoying. Not getting blank tabs though. I use Chrome Beta, perhaps that makes a difference.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Every YouTube link here on GAF now opens the mobile site rather than the app for me. Pretty annoying. Not getting black pages though. I use Chrome Beta, perhaps that makes a difference.

is this just a preview bug? I had this happen on kitkat but it's because I chose to always use Chrome by mistake. fixed it by clearing the defaults in the app settings

RoadHazard

Gold Member
is this just a preview bug? I had this happen on kitkat but it's because I chose to always use Chrome by mistake. fixed it by clearing the defaults in the app settings

Tried clearing the defaults for both Chrome Beta and YouTube, and YT links still just open the mobile site without even asking me what I want to do. So it's definitely an issue with either the L preview or Chrome.

rossonero

Every YouTube link here on GAF now opens the mobile site rather than the app for me. Pretty annoying. Not getting blank tabs though. I use Chrome Beta, perhaps that makes a difference.

The behaviour is different for me if I press the play button in the Youtube link or if I press the link just below the embedded Youtube link. Ever tried that?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
2014-10-23.jpg

So the replacement phone I ordered aka a G2 for my SO came in the mail since she basically totalled her old One X+ came in the mail. So far she's happy with it except for the fact that she didn't have all her contacts on her other phone as Google Contacts.

Luckly while her old phone screen is shattered you can still use it albiet ghetto style. So she can get the rest of her info off.

The question is what will the next update be. I assume they are gonna skip the update making the G2 look like the current G3 software and instead make them similar with the L update promsied for both.

Overall though she's happy other than just getting use to the LG skin. Plus the actual phone itself while a .5 larger screen really isn't that much bigger device wise.

Husker86

I'm not getting Notifications from Inbox on my Nexus 5. I disabled Gmail notifications because I want to try to use Inbox by itself.

Is anyone else getting notifications?

malyce

So the replacement phone I ordered aka a G2 for my SO came in the mail since she basically totalled her old One X+ came in the mail. So far she's happy with it except for the fact that she didn't have all her contacts on her other phone as Google Contacts.

Luckly while her old phone screen is shattered you can still use it albiet ghetto style. So she can get the rest of her info off.

The question is what will the next update be. I assume they are gonna skip the update making the G2 look like the current G3 software and instead make them similar with the L update promsied for both.

Overall though she's happy other than just getting use to the LG skin. Plus the actual phone itself while a .5 larger screen really isn't that much bigger device wise.
I got one of these yesterday to replace my Nexus 4 since I won't be getting a Nexus 6. I figured the great battery life would make up for the LG skin. Nope. Even ended up flashing cloudy G3 ROM and after 20 mins I wanted to pull my fucking hair out. Those of you that can live with heavily customized OEM skins are way better men than I'll ever be. I'd rather switch to iOS. AOSP/Stock Android or bust. It just works.

Vanillalite

I really like inbox. It got me to clear out my emails from when I first started using gmail. All I have left in the main inbox now are two pinned emails. And lawd, is the app beautiful.

Edit: Woah, since when did LG start designing its own processors? Too bad it's not 64-bit, though.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/2...ore-processor-new-g3-screen-phone-running-it/

It's cool and all but there is "designing" chips and then there is designing chips. Apple, Sony, Samsung ect... "design" chipsets where as Intel, ARM, Nvidia, AMD ect... actually design chipsets.

Crisco

Banned
I would buy another LG phone in a heartbeat, even better if they start designing their own SoCs and control more of the stack. By far my favorite Android phone maker right now.

thespot84

labels in gmail are bundles in inbox. All of my filters in gmail are still working and emails get put in bundles automatically, for the others you can add to a bundle in inbox as easily as labeling in gmail. Only thing i'm not sure about is how multiple labels will work

On the off chance people aren't aware, you can 'turn on' your gmail labels to be bundles in the settings

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
nexus 9 looks solid. If I didn't just blow 500 on a watch I'd get one. 4:3 is definitely the best.

And yeah I hope the nexus 6 bombs fucking hard.
I hope it bombs, too. Then I'll buy one for $400.

Fuck 4:3.
There's a place for 16:10 tablets, sure, but 4:3 is ideal. Plus large tablets in 16:10 don't work in portrait. I've literally never used my Nexus 10 in portrait as it's not practical.

You think google doesn't have the right to charge us that much BC its not an iphone? Manufacturing costs are higher when something sells less.

Your logic makes zero sense.
That's not what I said. We can discuss when you properly characterize my post.

Welcome back! I thought you were perma'd for awhile.

I think I'm getting the Nexus 6 though the price is high.
Thanks! It's good to be back. Can't believe I got banned for "trolling" iOS and Android. Then you have that mod who makes the first post in the Google Inbox thread about Google not giving out invites smh

Ripping us off? Yes it's more expensive, but it's still a good deal. If anything they're just trying to make up for the money they lost by keeping the N5 so cheap haha.
Alright, maybe not ripping us off. It's a decent deal. But it's no Nexus 4 or 5. I bought my Nexus One at $520, I think. That's fair. I think $650 is pushing it. But hey, maybe it will work out. Cool. I'd honestly consider buying one if it were 64 bit. As is, ehhhh. I'm happy to pay a premium for a premium phone. This phone is near premium but not all the way there. The battery isn't as big as I'd like. It doesn't come with headphones. I know there's no 64 bit processors for phones but I'm not making that sacrifice for $650 today.

Sch1sm

Thank you so much for mentioning GravityBox. A quick google and some YouTube watching and I was sold! This is pretty damn awesome.

It is awesome! Never let me down in the months I had it. I just hope Rovo gets it working with the changes to ART in 5.0.

HawkeyeIC

Anyone catch the vergecast yesterday. Dieter said he was impressed with the camera for a Nexus. It's basically on par with the 2014 moto X. So nothing spectacular, but not the worst out there either.

Sch1sm

Anyone catch the vergecast yesterday. Dieter said he was impressed with the camera for a Nexus. It's basically on par with the 2014 moto X. So nothing spectacular, but not the worst out there either.

Considering what Nexus cameras have been known for, I was pleasantly surprised by that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What is the best prepaid and non prepaid SIM card for the Nexus 5? And where can I buy online?

Got my phone but minus a Sim. It's unlocked.

Pretty disappointing, if true. Not that there is anything wrong with the Moto X (2014) camera, but I was (perhaps foolishly) hoping for something that could compete with an iPhone or Samsung flagship on the camera front. Maybe some day!

malyce

Impressed? smfh. It's a $650 phone. This isn't an N4 or N5 where you can compromise because it's a bang/buck situation. Flagship prices, Flagship quality.

Wait, I thought the Moto X camera was supposed to be not all that hot. If the N6 camera is on par with it, how is it good? If Dieter is saying he is impressed, wouldn't that mean the N6 camera is better than the Moto X camera and not just on par?

Meh.

And, 4:3 is the worst ratio. It's way too square. 3:2 is much, much better; 16:10 as well.

HawkeyeIC

Wait, I thought the Moto X camera was supposed to be not all that hot. If the N6 camera is on par with it, how is it good? If Dieter is saying he is impressed, wouldn't that mean the N6 camera is better than the Moto X camera and not just on par?

Meh.

And, 4:3 is the worst ratio. It's way too square. 3:2 is much, much better; 16:10 as well.

good FOR A NEXUS (low bar)

rossonero

Yeah, tapping the link is what does that.

Hmm I actually had that happening to me earlier, but it was something wonky with the mobile GAF and now it seems to be fixed.

Installed Android L on my brother's Nexus 7 and now I hate G3's lag even more. Hopefully an Android L rom will be out soon if LG is slow as usual.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whoa. I did not say that. I've seen in passing that SuperSU can already root the dev previews for L. Xposed on the other hand, while intendng to support it, isn't ready yet. Will be eventually.
Thanks for the info.

Now about that earlier Sim question I posed.

It seems like the Nexus 5's are GSM so it looks like either Sprint or T-Mobile. Any help on the matter? I'm in central FL and while Verizon has great coverage, so does T-Mobile, around these parts.

Sch1sm

Google said it was top 2-3 smartphone camera of all time, though.

Google lied.

Thanks for the info.

Now about that earlier Sim question I posed.

It seems like the Nexus 5's are GSM so it looks like either Sprint or T-Mobile. Any help on the matter? I'm in central FL and while Verizon has great coverage, so does T-Mobile, around these parts.

It's all preference, really. I'm in Canada so I'm little help when it comes to choice of mobile carriers. But if you know both T Mobile and Verizon have great coverage in your area, choose from there. I've noticed Sprint doesnt get much praise, though.

NotBacon

1. I highly doubt it's Moto X level if that Verge guy said he was seriously impressed. Although he was in a well lit room for 15 minutes...

2. Yes LG software sucks

Alright, maybe not ripping us off. It's a decent deal. But it's no Nexus 4 or 5. I bought my Nexus One at $520, I think. That's fair. I think $650 is pushing it. But hey, maybe it will work out. Cool. I'd honestly consider buying one if it were 64 bit. As is, ehhhh. I'm happy to pay a premium for a premium phone. This phone is near premium but not all the way there. The battery isn't as big as I'd like. It doesn't come with headphones. I know there's no 64 bit processors for phones but I'm not making that sacrifice for $650 today.

3. Galaxy Note 4 has the same size battery plus a QHD screen, and people are raving about its battery life. Subtract the TouchWiz and add Lollipop and I think we might have a winner.

Vanillalite

1) The Verge is clueless
2) In particular they are clueless on cameras
3) It's not the Moto X as they don't share the same optics

Will wait for someone who actually knows something to let me know it isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom