• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

So yeah...after all this time I finally started using Google Play Music....

So why the fuck didn't anyone tell me how awesome this app and service is. Jesus Christ.

Kinda buzzed right now but still, shit is awesome. Plus Inbox impressed me too. Motherfucking Googy. Just gimme easy root access on Lollipop and all is forgiven you magnificent bastards.

This is as good an excuse as any to pimp out what is most definitely by far the best chrome extension which has ever been developed ever.

*whistles nonchalantly*

---

And I got a single Inbox invite (I got reinvited) to go out to my Android peeps. Anyone interested? - GONE

Groof

So browsing the Play Store I noticed this:

Screenshot_2014-10-25-13-13-10.png
Screenshot_2014-10-25-13-13-29.png

The Chromecast section has been renamed to Google Cast. Is this what that "updated" Chromecast some have been speculating about is about? Maybe it's all just a rebranding with no actual hardware updates.

Pacbois

The Chromecast section has been renamed to Google Cast. Is this what that "updated" Chromecast some have been speculating about is about? Maybe it's all just a rebranding with no actual hardware updates.

Maybe it's also apps for Android TV devices as well now ?

kehs

Banned
Considering how open and accessible the chromecasting has become. I'm not surprised about the rebranding.

I can't remember the last time I actually used chrome to send something over to the chromecast.

teiresias

Isn't Google Cast the name of the casting system and API, and since it's supported on Chromecast, which is a specific product, but also Android TV, it makes more sense for the section to indicate the function the apps support rather than one specific product that has that function when there's more than one that does.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Considering how open and accessible the chromecasting has become. I'm not surprised about the rebranding.

I can't remember the last time I actually used chrome to send something over to the chromecast.

I've been doing it with Simpsons World. Bonus is Adblock pro prevents you from having to watch commercials.

The Note 4 is also pentile, however. All Samsung devices have had a pentile display except the S2 and Note 2 (I think) and every time reviewers have said it's noticeably less sharp and jaggier because of the pixel matrix. AnandTech says at 1440p however it's only noticeable in extreme cases and under scrutiny. I'll believe them and hope for the best.

At 6" however I'm concerned.

that's right. GS2 used RGB Stripe and Note II used S-Stripe, which has RGB subpixels in a strange arrangement.

That vibration issue for the iPad Air 2 is making me want to get a Nexus 9 instead.
I was considering the iPad Air 2 but I looked up some issues and the vibration looks like it could annoy me. I wonder if the Nexus 9 will have issues of its own.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sorry to see that Zeppu :(. They couldn't provide Amazon credit or something because of the inconvenience?

Zeppu

Sorry to see that Zeppu :(. They couldn't provide Amazon credit or something because of the inconvenience?

Nope. Contacted them to double check it wasn't some mistake and they just cancelled my order.

Anyone have any idea who else in the UK is selling this? Anyone but the play store since I don't feel like dealing with mail forwarding. That's literally my last option.

Husker86

Isn't Google Cast the name of the casting system and API, and since it's supported on Chromecast, which is a specific product, but also Android TV, it makes more sense for the section to indicate the function the apps support rather than one specific product that has that function when there's more than one that does.

Yup. Chromecast supports Google Cast.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Google Cast is the name of the feature/service, and will be supported by various devices. The Chromecast is one, the Nexus Player is another.

EDIT: Thoroughly beaten!

Forever scared to flash my phone ever since I woke up one morning to a bootlooped bricked GS3. Been trying to fix it ever since just to see and no luck, even passed it off to other people at campus. Still nothing.

Groof

Alright thanks for clearing that up about Google Cast. But it still wouldn't surprise me if they just rebrand it to Google Cast to make it fit more with the whole ecosystem.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Forever scared to flash my phone ever since I woke up one morning to a bootlooped bricked GS3. Been trying to fix it ever since just to see and no luck, even passed it off to other people at campus. Still nothing.

Can you still get into the bootloader (usually done with a key combo like Volume Down + Power)? If you can, it should be a pretty easy fix.

I never realized how sexy the Note 4 in black was until I watch MKBHD's review. The metallic edges look awesome. He also points out that its been his daily driver for two weeks. Definitely one of the best smartphones this year. I wonder how the Nexus 6 will stack up.

I never realized how sexy the Note 4 in black was until I watch MKBHD's review. The metallic edges look awesome. He also points out that its been his daily driver for two weeks. Definitely one of the best smartphones this year. I wonder how the Nexus 6 will stack up.

You're not supposed to praise Samsung here

Yeah, the Note 4 looks great. Best looking Samsung device ever. Samsung's always had nice hardware, it was just the glossy plastic (and physical home button + reversed capacitive buttons) I hated/hate.

Anyway, that MKBHD review gives me hope for the N6, which has extremely similar hardware. Though I'm sure the N6 camera will be worse (fine with me as I've never cared for mobile cameras).

Edit: I will definitely miss the multi window (and now floating window) stuff Samsung has made. At least we already know Google is working on an OS level implementation of multi window which should work with any app unlike Samsung's, at least if that AP rumor post ends up true.

Saiyan-Rox

Wish Google would come out and say something about the N6 in the UK. Not that I want to support the price but I know I'll want one regardless.

Hell I've been considering getting a N5 again just because I Cba waiting for Lollipop to hit my OPO

jay23

Quick question, I have a nexus 4 with an old version of CyanogenMod installed I think its snapshot-M4.

Would I be able to install lollipop and keep my lte hack once that releases? What would be the easiest way to do that?(I'm rooted btw)

Yeah, the Note 4 looks great. Best looking Samsung device ever. Samsung's always had nice hardware, it was just the glossy plastic (and physical home button + reversed capacitive buttons) I hated/hate.

Anyway, that MKBHD review gives me hope for the N6, which has extremely similar hardware. Though I'm sure the N6 camera will be worse (fine with me as I've never cared for mobile cameras).

Edit: I will definitely miss the multi window (and now floating window) stuff Samsung has made. At least we already know Google is working on an OS level implementation of multi window which should work with any app unlike Samsung's, at least if that AP rumor post ends up true.
When Google adds support for it, we can be confident that we'll get it right away on the Nexus 6.

Saiyan-Rox

Quick question, I have a nexus 4 with an old version of CyanogenMod installed I think its snapshot-M4.

Would I be able to install lollipop and keep my lte hack once that releases? What would be the easiest way to do that?(I'm rooted btw)

That LTE hack will need to be re-enabled for Lollipop most likely

Samsung artificially limits multi window to a list of pre-approved apps and apps that opt-in to allowing it. The vast vast vast majority of apps work just fine if you root and remove the limitation. Personally, the only app I tried that didn't function properly was Netflix.

Samsung artificially limits multi window to a list of pre-approved apps and apps that opt-in to allowing it. The vast vast vast majority of apps work just fine if you root and remove the limitation. Personally, the only app I tried that didn't function properly was Netflix.

Didn't someone come up with a fix for Netflix pausing when it was backgrounded?

reKon

Banned
So my sister got the LG G3 (since they wouldn't let her get any other flagship phone on the EDGE program, what the hell?).

I hadn't gotten to play around too much with it so I was eager to try it out...

The thing was running slow as shit. I'm pretty sure her Galaxy S3 ran faster. I went digging through seeing what was going on and then I saw all the damn bloatware.. Jesus Christ Verizon. There was barely anything I could uninstall. I spent quite a bit of time going through and finding shit to disable. The bloat was astronomically worse than when I had the Galaxy Nexus before I left Verizon. I went to check her ram usage just to see what was going there and it showed that the phone had 300 mb ram free and I'm pretty sure it was the 3 GB RAM variant..... what the fucking fuck Verizon?

I'm sure that it was the combination of not rebooting her phone 10+ Days, the massive amount of bloat, and all the random widgets and other shit on her home screen that caused this terrible performance. I was seriously confused when she didn't realize how bad it was performing.

I can again easily see why the shit carriers do make general consumers think their phone is shit. Then I have to hear all these false claims about how terrible Android is from people are who very naive when it comes to these devices.Then people just switch to iOS and don't deal with all the bloatware that would cause performance issues in the first place.

Sch1sm

then I saw all the damn bloatware.. Jesus Christ Verizon. There was barely anything I could uninstall. I quite a bit of time going through and finding shit to disable. The bloat was astronomically worse than when I had the Galaxy Nexus before I left Verizon. I went to check her ram usage just to see what was going there and it showed that the phone had 300 mb ram free and I'm pretty sure it was the 3 GB RAM variant..... what the fucking fuck Verizon?

What the fucking fuck, indeed. That's insane. Predictable, but still really out there.

reKon

Banned
There was a fucking folder full of Verizon only apps in the app drawer. And one of them was a Verizon Messaging App, LOL.

I also remember seeing apps like IMDB for some reason couldn't be uninstalled, just disabled? I just can't...

Oh, well that's cool. Regardless, Samsung deserves some major props for bringing PC multitasking to mobile devices. Multi window is without a doubt Samsung's best feature, in my opinion. It's also great that (I assume) any future, non Samsung Android device will be able to have a similar feature once Google finishes work on it.

NotBacon

So my sister got the LG G3 (since they wouldn't let her get any other flagship phone on the EDGE program, what the hell?).

I haven't gotten to play around too much with it so I was eager to try it out...

The thing was running slow as shit. I'm pretty sure her Galaxy S3 ran faster. I went digging through seeing what was going on and then I saw all the damn bloatware.. Jesus Christ Verizon. There was barely anything I could uninstall. I spent quite a bit of time going through and finding shit to disable. The bloat was astronomically worse than when I had the Galaxy Nexus before I left Verizon. I went to check her ram usage just to see what was going there and it showed that the phone had 300 mb ram free and I'm pretty sure it was the 3 GB RAM variant..... what the fucking fuck Verizon?

I'm sure that it was the combination of not rebooting her phone 10+ Days, the massive amount of bloat, and all the random widgets and other shit on her home screen that caused this terrible performance. I seriously confused when she didn't realize how bad it was performing.

I can again easily see why the shit carriers do make general consumers think their phone is shit. Then I have to hear all these false claims about how terrible Android is from people are who very naive when it comes to these devices.Then people just switch to iOS and don't deal with all the bloatware that would cause performance issues in the first place.

This makes my blood boil just thinking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom