• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh camera in a 650 bucks phone? So its still a Nexus but with a premium price tag?

Wouldn't surprise me if the N6 was supposed to be the first silver phone before the idea went to the trash. Then sister Silver had a baby with Brother Nexus. Hello 6.

Definitely not sorry for passing on this years nexus line.

malyce

1. I highly doubt it's Moto X level if that Verge guy said he was seriously impressed. Although he was in a well lit room for 15 minutes...

2. Yes LG software sucks

3. Galaxy Note 4 has the same size battery plus a QHD screen, and people are raving about its battery life. Subtract the TouchWiz and add Lollipop and I think we might have a winner.
You really think Samsung would let moto use the same oled panel that's in the Note 4? Not happening. At the very best, the n6 will be 80-90% of the Note 4's battery life.

Yeah, LG software is ass cheeks. Absolutely horrible.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I agree that the LG software is crap, but it was waaaaay worse before the G3, still sucks though.

NotBacon

know what, might as well pile on...

when a Nexus 6 is $650, you might as well get a dev edition Note 4 for $50 more and drop a custom rom on it.

Uhhhhhh, I'd rather just get the cheaper sexier Nexus 6 so I don't have to worry about flashing custom ROMs or the bugs that come with them.

1) The Verge is clueless
2) In particular they are clueless on cameras
3) It's not the Moto X as they don't share the same optics

Will wait for someone who actually knows something to let me know it isn't great.

I know some things. Tying my shoes for one.
That's it :(

You really think Samsung would let moto use the same oled panel that's in the Note 4? Not happening. At the very best, the n6 will be 80-90% of the Note 4's battery life.

Yeah, LG software is ass cheeks. Absolutely horrible.

Are they using special panel? I didn't hear about this.
And when you factor in Lollipop + no bloat, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Note 4 battery life.

Groof

My biggest fears with the n6 is the screen and battery life. Camera is whatever as long as it's serviceable, since I use a proper camera most of the time.
Battery life because you never know, and screen because it's AMOLED and most likely pentile. I hope they've put a lot of effort into colour calibrating it first and foremost.

My biggest fears with the n6 is the screen and battery life. Camera is whatever as long as it's serviceable, since I use a proper camera most of the time.
Battery life because you never know, and screen because it's AMOLED and most likely pentile. I hope they've put a lot of effort into colour calibrating it first and foremost.
Both of which are valid concerns. The battery is non-removable so the battery life has to be fantastic.
they could just get a carrier version for $100 after trade/rebate
Will Samsung offer the $200 trade in credit for the developer edition? That would be one heck of a deal.

malyce

Uhhhhhh, I'd rather just get the cheaper sexier Nexus 6 so I don't have to worry about flashing custom ROMs or the bugs that come with them.

I know some things. Tying my shoes for one.
That's it :(

Are they using special panel? I didn't hear about this.
And when you factor in Lollipop + no bloat, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't beat the Note 4 battery life.
Not necessarily a special panel, but whatever improments they've made in oled tech theyll keep for their flagships while selling their rivals the older tech. So don't expect a nexus 6 display to be as efficient as a note 4 that's launching within a month of it. The extra .2 inches doesn't help either. And no, as i've said over and over, lolipop will help with the wakelocks so you'll be able to claw back some those precious % that you lost when your phone was supposed to be sleeping, but under heavy use it's not gonna make much of a difference. So instead of you having 20% battery left at the end of the day, you're now gonna be leaving the office with 30%. That's what your hardware was capabale of all along, the previous versions of android was just shit at extracting it. Crack flashers know what's up. They've been doing it for years.

NotBacon

Not necessarily a special panel, but whatever improments they've made in oled tech theyll keep for their flagships while selling their rivals the older tech. So don't expect a nexus 6 display to be as efficient as a note 4 that's launching within a month of it. The extra .2 inches doesn't help either. And no, as i've said over and over, lolipop will help with the wakelocks so you'll be able to claw back some those precious % that you lost when your phone was supposed to be sleeping, but under heavy use it's not gonna make much of a difference. So instead of you having 20% battery left at the end of the day, you're now gonna be leaving the office with 30%. That's what your hardware was capabale of all along, the previous versions of android was just shit at extracting it. Crack flashers know what's up. They've been doing it for years.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we'lllllllllllllllll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

malyce

VloBlx9.png

The battery life on this thing is crazy. Best $240[Nexus4 + $40] I've spent in phone tech yet. My N4 would've been under 30% already with 3 hours SOT. Can't believe Google gimped the N5 with that shit battery. A N5S with a 3220 mah battery + 801/5 SOC + camera upgrade and pure android @ $349 would be a beast of a phone.

Talon

For all intents and purposes, it sounds like Pichai is Chief Product Officer for the org.

I guess too bad Barra took off.

reKon

Banned
The battery life on this thing is crazy. Best $240[Nexus4 + $40] I've spent in phone tech yet. My N4 would've been under 30% already with 3 hours SOT. Can't believe Google gimped the N5 with that shit battery. A N5S with a 3220 mah battery + 801/5 SOC + camera upgrade and pure android @ $349 would be a beast of a phone.

what did you buy?

Husker86

Thanks for the info.

Now about that earlier Sim question I posed.

It seems like the Nexus 5's are GSM so it looks like either Sprint or T-Mobile. Any help on the matter? I'm in central FL and while Verizon has great coverage, so does T-Mobile, around these parts.

Sprint isn't GSM. AT&T or T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is great if you have good coverage where you use it. If you go on road trips frequently, though, I'd think twice. Hard to beat the prices though.

Ocho

Android Police has their G Watch R review up.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...the-best-android-wear-has-to-offer-right-now/

Can't wait for the second or third revision. Hopefully we'll see something at CES.

On a different note, I can't believe that AP is still rocking that shitty design. It's terrible on the desktop or mobile. Just awful.

I may buy this. Seems to be the first reasonable 'first gen' watch. Battery is finally there and I like the design. Shame no GPS but I don't find the use.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The other day I had like 3h 15m of SOT with 46% battery left on my N5. That extrapolates to about 6 hours of SOT. This is on the latest L preview, definitely didn't get results like that on KK.

malyce

The other day I had like 3h 15m of SOT with 46% battery left on my N5. That extrapolates to about 6 hours of SOT. This is on the latest L preview, definitely didn't get results like that on KK.
The 2nd half always drains faster than the first though :) Thats good. I'd love to be proven wrong about LP. That would mean even more battery life out of this G2.

I'm dying to see the battery life benchmarks of the droid turbo. It's what the nexus 6 should have been for it to be worth $650.

-PXG-

So yeah...after all this time I finally started using Google Play Music....

So why the fuck didn't anyone tell me how awesome this app and service is. Jesus Christ.

Kinda buzzed right now but still, shit is awesome. Plus Inbox impressed me too. Motherfucking Googy. Just gimme easy root access on Lollipop and all is forgiven you magnificent bastards.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

So why the fuck didn't anyone tell me how awesome this app and service is. Jesus Christ.

Are you sure nobody told you? :)

But yeah, it's pretty awesome. I don't even really care about the All Access part, I just love being able to store my music (legally ripped from my own CDs) in the cloud and stream it wherever I am.

malyce

Kinda buzzed right now but still, shit is awesome. Plus Inbox impressed me too. Motherfucking Googy. Just gimme easy root access on Lollipop and all is forgiven you magnificent bastards.
Finally started using? The fuck? Smh

-PXG-

Finally started using? The fuck? Smh

Hey hey hey hey hey....

Better late than never. Shit.

Great app. Great service. Motherfucking Google. Love this shit. All up in their ecosystem more than ever.

Ever since I got my Skyrocket years ago, I knew I wouldn't ever think about leaving Android. But now having Lollipop, playing around with it, along with the aesthetics and logic behind material design, getting in the Inbox beta and now using Google Play Music...Sheeeeeeeit....whatever, if anything, takes over in the next 10 years or whatever, better be amazing, cause this shit now is fantastic. How on Earth can anyone say the competition is better? I don't know how anyone could say it with a straight face

/tipsy post

Talon

For any of you guys on AT&T, that double data promotion on the Mobile Share plan applies to smaller plans as well, e.g. the 1 and 2 GB ones.

I just had them convert me from my old 3 GB plan -> the 2 GB Mobile Share plan, which had the data cap doubled to 4 GBs. All for the exact same price point - my older discounts carried over just fine.

I went through Chat and then asked them to have Retentions call me.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Shagwell

So 4.4.4 rolled out on verizon for the HTC One m8. I chose update later and now when I go to software update it won't allow me to check new.

What the hell? :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The n6 screen is pentile? Really? Premium price for a premium phone LOL

malyce

I got 7:15 worth of screen time on the first run @ 50% brightness without using the power saving mode. Pretty good. Gonna swap out this kernel, do some tweaking and shoot for 8 tomorrow. Hopefully project Ara let's us customize our own flagships so that we don't have to put up with this Game of Phones mess each year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel tech differences are negligible once you go 1080p+. Unless the panel quality is just terribad. But every hands-on with the N6 has said the screen looks fantastic so.......
It won't be as good as a proper display. I'd be fine with the compromise, and that's what it is, if the price were lower. But it's not a premium experience. It's compromised.

On another Note... Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review!: http://youtu.be/hoQKLOrAU4E

This phone is awesome. The added software tweaks are great. Seems like implementation isn't ideal but the function is beast. It's the only phone that makes a proper attempt at phablets.

Groof

The Note 4 is also pentile, however. All Samsung devices have had a pentile display except the S2 and Note 2 (I think) and every time reviewers have said it's noticeably less sharp and jaggier because of the pixel matrix. AnandTech says at 1440p however it's only noticeable in extreme cases and under scrutiny. I'll believe them and hope for the best.

At 6" however I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom