• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

For any of you guys on AT&T, that double data promotion on the Mobile Share plan applies to smaller plans as well, e.g. the 1 and 2 GB ones.

I just had them convert me from my old 3 GB plan -> the 2 GB Mobile Share plan, which had the data cap doubled to 4 GBs. All for the exact same price point - my older discounts carried over just fine.

I went through Chat and then asked them to have Retentions call me.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Can I get double my unlimited plan?

Hey here's an off topic question, or at least tangentially related to Android. I was using touchless control to ask Google a question about something I was cooking, and I thought how much better it would be to have the answer pop up on the TV. Then I realized that the boot up time and such would make it very frustrating.

I don't know anything about LED, LCD, etc... but what would it take for a big screen TV to be instant on, instant off like our phones are? Is it a matter of electric power?

Since smartphones became a thing I've been using iPhones. 1 > 4s > 5s.

Now the time has come. I am finally jumping into Android, the side I should've been on when I got my 4S, the side where the gamers/technophiles etc. usually go.

But my dilemma of course is which ONE? I want a giant screen and good specs for emulation/gaming. Plus I recently got a Sony Bravia 50" so I want to be able to stream anything on my phone easily to that, similar to how Apple TV works, I want that same seamlessness.

Here are my options:

-Nexus 5

-HTC One M8

-Samsung S5

-Samsung Note 4

-Sony Xperia Z3

-Sony Xperia Z Ultra

As a Sony fanboy I'm admittedly centering on the Sony side of things. And the big screen of the Ultra impresses me more, plus the specs don't seem that different between it and the Xperia 3.

Or would I be making a huge mistake and should opt for a Google or HTC (as recommended by friends of mine)?

Samsung interests me the least, despite it being synonymous with Android these days.

But then because the Sony Z Ultra is older it would save me £10 a month. Or would the upgrades in the newer phones be worth that £10 a month?

Are some models easier to hack than others?

Help me decide AndroidGAF!

th3dude

Now the time has come. I am finally jumping into Android, the side I should've been on when I got my 4S, the side where the gamers/technophiles etc. usually go.

But my dilemma of course is which ONE? I want a giant screen and good specs for emulation/gaming. Plus I recently got a Sony Bravia 50" so I want to be able to stream anything on my phone easily to that, similar to how Apple TV works, I want that same seamlessness.

Here are my options:

-Nexus 5

-HTC One M8

-Samsung S5

-Samsung Note 4

-Sony Xperia Z3

-Sony Xperia Z Ultra

As a Sony fanboy I'm admittedly centering on the Sony side of things. And the big screen of the Ultra impresses me more, plus the specs don't seem that different between it and the Xperia 3.

Or would I be making a huge mistake and should opt for a Google or HTC (as recommended by friends of mine)?

Samsung interests me the least, despite it being synonymous with Android these days.

But then because the Sony Z Ultra is older it wd save me £10 a month. Or would the upgrades in the newer phones be worth t £10 a month?

If you want to hack around, get a Nexus. If you want a giant screen, the Nexus 6 is your phone. 6 inch screen, front speakers, top end specs.

That said, I've been really impressed with the HTC One M8. However, I found Sense to be awful so I hacked it into a Google Play Edition.

Here are my options:

-Nexus 5

-HTC One M8

-Samsung S5

-Samsung Note 4

-Sony Xperia Z3

-Sony Xperia Z Ultra

But then because the Sony Z Ultra is older it would save me £10 a month. Or would the upgrades in the newer phones be worth that £10 a month?

Nexus 6 is a nice phone that is large, top end specs and it will have Android Lollipop which is fantastic. It will be very customizable. Another good phone is the Z3 with a great camera, awesome battery life, close to stock android,and it has a sleek design. The Note 4 is another nice phone since it has an amazing camera, great battery life, and has a lot of features. Touch Wiz is the only con if you don't like it.

-PXG-

Here are my options:

-Nexus 5

-HTC One M8

-Samsung S5

-Samsung Note 4

-Sony Xperia Z3

-Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Nexus 6 pre-orders go up on Wednesday. Go for it.

NotBacon

Here are my options:

-Nexus 5

-HTC One M8

-Samsung S5

-Samsung Note 4

-Sony Xperia Z3

-Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Nexus 6. Do it.

Volotaire

However, the Nexus 6 is ugly on the back (personal preference), no SD card slot of external storage if you want that and there haven't been reviews of its camera performance yet.

Husker86

Did you watch the Verge preview of the camera calling it the best yet? From the sounds of it is on par with the Note 4's which is a relief.

To be fair, Dieter could only see the pictures on the phone. Pulling pictures off of the phone and comparing to other phones hasn't been done yet.

However, the Nexus 6 is ugly on the back (personal preference), no SD card slot of external storage if you want that and there haven't been reviews of its camera performance yet.

Oh shit, fuck lack of an SD port. Having one is supposed to be one of the selling points of Android lol.

I would wait until reviews for the Nexus 6 before putting over £500 on phone. At least that's what I'm doing.

Yes, in fact I might just forget about it and save money by getting something else.

Which one has the best back? HTC?

Volotaire

Oh shit, fuck lack of an SD port. Having one is supposed to be one of the selling points of Android lol.

Yes, in fact I might just forget about it and save money by getting something else.

Well it's up to you. Whatever floats your boat in design aesthetics. I loved the HTC One M7 sans the Beats logo. M8 not so much with its dual camera.

Just be aware (since you are new to android) the 100% android software experience can only be had on Nexus and Motorola devices. Just look up material design or any lollipop nexus videos and compare to an HTC and you will see what I'm talking about. Also when it comes to the ota's you were used to on iPhones will not be the same on non-Nexus devices.

Lg, HTC, Sony, Samsung take a considerable amount of time longer to update their phones (if ever)

IMO this makes things like SD cards much less important since the cloud services are so great on android.

That's an odd thing to ask about. But if you must my favorite would probably be the Z3 solely based on looks.

Sch1sm

Just be aware (since you are new to android) the 100% android software experience can only be had on Nexus and Motorola devices. Just look up material design or any lollipop nexus videos and compare to an HTC and you will see what I'm talking about. Also when it comes to the ota's you were used to on iPhones will not be the same on non-Nexus devices.

Lg, HTC, Sony, Samsung take a considerable amount of time longer to update their phones (if ever)

IMO this makes things like SD cards much less important since the cloud services are so great on android.

Pretty sure the HTC One M7 only just got 4.4.4 last month, and they had to use CM to do it. Time it takes for updates is ridiculous.

NotBacon

Get the Z3 then. Just note, you'll be giving up a lot.

-Instant updates
-No bloatware
-Android Lollipop untouched

Hell I'll just quote myself from another thread:

If you want a phone experience as fluid and simple as iOS, get a Nexus or Moto. Simple as that. Amazing phones. Period.

If you're willing to deal with a little confusing/convoluted UI, annoying software, and slow updates, your options open up a little. e.g. Z3, HTC M8, galaxy S5, etc.

But then you'll have to eventually deal with its quirks, and you'll eventually be told to "just root it dude, and install this and that and this, and flash a new ROM, and edit this".

If you want something that just works beautifully, you know what to do.

You might get bogged down into thinking "why do I have to do all of this tinkering just to get my phone to work nicely?", and the answer is because you didn't go Nexus. But who knows, maybe you like endless tinkering...

The Z3 is supposed to get Android Lollipop if you can wait until early next year. I've read rumors of Samsung updating the the Note 4 to Lollipop as soon as December.

The Z3 is supposed to get Android Lollipop if you can wait until early next year. I've read rumors of Samsung updating the the Note 4 to Lollipop as soon as December.

Yes every year this happens and then devices never get it when they were supposed to.

An oem can say whatever they want but in the US it is ALWAYS controlled by the carrier.
This report that samsung is going to update in december is to REGIONS. It does not mean Sprint, ATT, VZW, and Tmobile will have it then.

I'm playing around with Inbox and there's a funny phenomenon: they finally gave mobile app users the ability to create/edit labels and some limited filters (namely, Skip the Inbox). It's a feature that Gmail power users have wanted since forever. However, they're doing it as email management gets more and more automated and filters become less important. It's pretty amusing.

Yes every year this happens and then devices never get it when they were supposed to.

An oem can say whatever they want but in the US it is ALWAYS controlled by the carrier.
This report that samsung is going to update in december is to REGIONS. It does not mean Sprint, ATT, VZW, and Tmobile will have it then.
It's a good thing our friend doesn't live in America ;)

Volotaire

Yes the Z3 back is quite nice too since it's plain but it's slightly cheap feeling with its tempered glass back from my experience of holding previous Z handsets. Also, if you're going without a case, I'd be absolutely frightened to drop that on the floor!

reKon

Banned
Get the Z3 then. Just note, you'll be giving up a lot.

-Instant updates
-No bloatware
-Android Lollipop untouched

Hell I'll just quote myself from another thread:

You might get bogged down into thinking "why do I have to do all of this tinkering just to get my phone to work nicely?", and the answer is because you didn't go Nexus. But who knows, maybe you like endless tinkering...

Stop exaggerating, lol. I didn't have to do any tinkering to my HTC One on T Mobile before deciding to root it.

Hasney

Z3 it is I think got you, glorious battery life. If you're in the UK, avoid Samsung just in case something goes wrong. Their support is the absolute worst I've ever encountered and I'm sitting here typing this on a broken S4 because of it. M8 really isn't a bad phone though, so look into that one too. Pretty sure there's a 32gb version.

NotBacon

Stop exaggerating, lol. I didn't have to do any tinkering to my HTC One on T Mobile before deciding to root it.

Obviously my statement applies to every single person /s

And just the fact that you mentioned rooting means you're a tinkerer. That's fine. A lot of people are. But the vast vast majority of users don't care and just want a pleasant experience out of the box.

Re-read post #11927 & #11930

But let's say I'm not that big on updates. Like with my iPhones I always updated their firmware late, and currently on my 5s I haven't even installed iOS8 yet.

Any other issues with that? Are the specs of the most recent models seriously that big of an upgrade on the Ultra?

The reason I ask is because the Ultra's ridiculous screen has me hooked lol.

HGStormy

Banned
But let's say I'm not that big on updates. Like with my iPhones I always updated their firmware late, and currently on my 5s I haven't even installed iOS8 yet.

Any other issues with that? Are the specs of the most recent models seriously that big of an upgrade on the Ultra?

Z3 has a faster processor/gpu, an extra gig of ram, a much better camera, slightly better ruggedness (IP68 vs IP58), and I'm sure a couple of other minor upgrades to data connectivity and such. Overall I'd say go for the Z3!

Edit: And an improved screen!

3phemeral

I'm playing around with Inbox and there's a funny phenomenon: they finally gave mobile app users the ability to create/edit labels and some limited filters (namely, Skip the Inbox). It's a feature that Gmail power users have wanted since forever. However, they're doing it as email management gets more and more automated and filters become less important. It's pretty amusing.
The great thing about this is that was able to turn all of my auto-direct tags into bundles. For some reason, it feels nicer to navigate through a bundle rather than looking for any new emails from the menu list on the left column. I never ever look there despite going through all of the work to organize everything. Bundles are growing on me.

*gasp*

How dare you not care about updates. What kind of Google sheep are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom