• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

If anyone of you is still on the fence about buying the Nexus 5, don't wait too long to make your decision. Their is a good chance Google is just burning through the remainder of unsold stock:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/nexus-5-wont-produced-anymore-t2921263

I do not welcome our 6+ inch screen overloards.

Same...though I have a feeling I'll be joining that side next generation out of lack of choice.

This Nexus 5 is the longest I've used an Android phone without upgrading. I realize how ridiculous that is, but for something to quench my upgrade frenzy so quickly...it makes me sad.

Talon

They didn't raise the prices. It used to be $40, and they ran a promotion from last summer to March of this year allowing you to pay for $15 if you switched from an older plan to a Mobile Share plan.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you were on contract and switched to their new plans at the reduced rate (which they allowed some people to do in order to raise awareness of the new structure), then you were technically saving money you shouldn't have been eligible for.

I don't want to derail too much, but I bet if you looked back at the numbers, you'll see that what you were paying a couple of years ago is likely higher than what you'd pay now on Next (for family plans), over time. One way or another, you are paying full price for the phone whether it be up front or over time with higher plan prices. At least with Next, when you pay it off, your price drops back down (and it's only 20 months of installments, not 24 months locked under contract).

The upgrade fee is bullshit all around but makes Next an even better value, though I won't defend any carrier on that front.

As for phones, if you want something that size then I think waiting for the Nexus 6 would be the best bet. I'm sure someone who posted a couple posts up could give some good arguments for the Note 4 though.

Oh, you're right.. it's just my wife and I on the plan.. it's a 10gb shared... I did have a grandfathered iPhone plan with unlimited.. but we were paying like $180 (after all the taxes and bs) and it went down to like $120 after all the bs. With 2 next plans.. we are back to $180 to 190 with flagship phones.. but the 2-yr contract really makes no sense financially anymore.. especially if you trade the thing in after 12 months.

We only ever really use 3 to 6 gigs a months... a lot of it's all on wi-fi at the office or home.. but I'd still stick to 10.

Keyouta

Google Translate keeps on repeating inputs I write into it, is there any way to make it stop? It's really annoying for it to enter in something 20 times repeating.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
so they didn't raise the price? they just introduced a new, lower pricing structure in addition to the existing one?

Well, if you switched over before.. and now upgrade with a 2-yr.. your price goes up by $15 to $25 dollars... that's on top of the price for the phone and the $40 upgrade fee.

The only way to keep the EXACT rate plan you already have is to go Next or keep your phone or buy outright a phone.

It's never been that way before.. you always just paid the $36 (now 40) fee and bought the subsidized phone and kept it all the same.

So if you have the Share plan and are paying $15 per line.. it'd go to $40 with a new 2yr.

Exuro

Would it be a good time to get an older tablet like the Nexus 7 or should I wait until around black friday? Saw that it's currently $176 on amazon and I'm iching to get an android device I can use for reading pdfs/games and it looks like a good price atm.

Bri

I'm a little curious about the Nexus 5. A used one for a decent prize, since I don't want to spend too much on a phone and I always buy off contract.

I've been using a Galaxy S for four years now and the battery last me 7-8 hours and 1h40min SoT, on light use with only 2G activated and minimum brightness all the time.

Is it worth it, even though the battery is really bad? Will it last me for a day (7AM-22PM) with medium use?

Jzero

I'm a little curious about the Nexus 5. A used one for a decent prize, since I don't want to spend too much on a phone and I always buy off contract.

I've been using a Galaxy S for four years now and the battery last me 7-8 hours and 1h40min SoT, on light use with only 2G activated and minimum brightness all the time.

Is it worth it, even though the battery is really bad? Will it last me for a day (7AM-22PM) with medium use?

It should last you a work shift. Mine seem to die faster when it's hot (in my pocket or outside)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The N5 doesn't have the greatest battery, but it's gonna be a huge upgrade over what you currently have to put up with. Especially once Lollipop is released (which is soon). I routinely get around 5 hours of SoT with the preview, with medium use and around medium brightness (with adaptive brightness turned on). It can go for days on standby with very light use. In other words, yes, it should definitely get you through the day.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The new Calendar unfortunately seems really bad on phones. No full week view, WHAT! That's what I use all the time. And text is squished together, month view is crap, etc. Material design is certainly nice, but this seems to be a case where the rigid spacings and such have made the app significantly less functional. Might have to look for a 3rd party solution, after having been perfectly happy with Google's offering for years.

(I don't actually have the update yet, but I've seen it and read about it.)

Groof

The new Calendar unfortunately seems really bad on phones. No full week view, WHAT! That's what I use all the time. And text is squished together, month view is crap, etc. Material design is certainly nice, but this seems to be a case where the rigid spacings and such have made the app significantly less functional. Might have to look for a 3rd party solution, after having been perfectly happy with Google's offering for years.

(I don't actually have the update yet, but I've seen it and read about it.)
May I suggest this?

tzare

is anyone having issues with gmail? if i go into a conversation it keeps loading forever since it updated to new material design version, i can't read emails...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh yeah you're right. I always use split view, the best view.

I like getting a quick visual overview of what I have going on each day of the week and at what times, so week view is far superior for me. Just seeing a list of things isn't my idea of how a calendar should work.

Ok so niggling little things that are annoying me on my Z3.

* No tap to top on web browsers
* Browser tabs are at the top
* Headphone jack at top and volume control on the right

I suppose these are just little niggles from being used to how things were on my iPhones.

Jigolo

Ok so niggling little things that are annoying me on my Z3.

* No tap to top on web browsers
* Browser tabs are at the top
* Headphone jack at top and volume control on the right

I suppose these are just little niggles from being used to how things were on my iPhones.
But aren't safari tabs on top as well?

Mindwipe

But aren't safari tabs on top as well?

No, bottom.

I broadly agree with Stereogatari. On the larger devices we have now, Chrome is a pig for UI and should steal several things wholesale from Safari.

But the headphone jack is in the *right* place, where it always was on iPhones too until the 5.

No, bottom.

I broadly agree with Stereogatari. On the larger devices we have now, Chrome is a pig for UI and should steal several things wholesale from Safari.

But the headphone jack is in the *right* place, where it always was on iPhones too until the 5.
I'm finding it annoying because as I grab my phone from my pocket it's now upside down. Although I used to deal with it on my 4S before 5S lol.

Yes the screen size is what makes upper tabs less than ideal.

In fact a universal problem with these new phones is that the size makes me one handed operation difficult. I was thinking of getting a Z Ultra. Would have been a huge regret.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, bottom.

In Lollipop the default (with Chrome at least) will be to have each tab as its own activity in the task switcher. And that's accessed from the bottom of the screen/phone, so... yay?

Google said it will make the Nexus 6 available for purchase every Wednesday. I'm prepared to go on the play store and see that it's unavailable literally 30 seconds after the page goes up. Every single time.

How are people able to do this so fast. Is there a team that's there to purchase?

Mindwipe

In Lollipop the default (with Chrome at least) will be to have each tab as its own activity in the task switcher. And that's accessed from the bottom of the screen/phone, so... yay?

Yay indeed. But it's two months away at least on the Z3/Z3C.

Which, granted, might mean it beats older Nexus devices at this rate...

Is tap to scroll to the top patented? That's the only reason I can think of why it's not been implemented.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google said it will make the Nexus 6 available for purchase every Wednesday. I'm prepared to go on the play store and see that it's unavailable literally 30 seconds after the page goes up. Every single time.

How are people able to do this so fast. Is there a team that's there to purchase?

In theory this should be less of an issue when carriers start selling as well. Should alleviate some traffic.

It's totally balls though that Google can't get enough stock. Just points to "hey we know we are rushed but we will get as many units out as possible!"

demented

I have a phone that's running older android version, it only has like 128mb of storage I think that pretty much gets filled by default apps, very low on ram too. I do have an SD card but besides 1 app I can't move any other to it to make it have bit more free space and breathing room, it's slow as hell.
Also can't update any apps due to no room.

Any idea how to fix this? Don't have root.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Is tap to scroll to the top patented? That's the only reason I can think of why it's not been implemented.

Not sure. But on the other hand, you can scroll to the top of most pages very quickly in Android, unlike in iOS where the scroll loses momentum almost immediately no matter how hard you fling the page.

I have a phone that's running older android version, it only has like 128mb of storage I think that pretty much gets filled by default apps, very low on ram too. I do have an SD card but besides 1 app I can't move any other to it to make it have bit more free space and breathing room, it's slow as hell.
Also can't update any apps due to no room.

Any idea how to fix this? Don't have root.

Get a new phone. Not a great answer, I know, but 128 MB of internal storage is just waaaaaaay to little these days (or 5 years ago, for that matter).

Wreav

Banned
it only has like 128mb of storage

what_year_is_it.jpg

kehs

Banned

There's no single list view in android like in iOS. That's why it can't be implemented easily. There are mods and things, but they basically just simulate a scroll action.

Zeppu

This has been a glorious month for a Google loving Maltese citizen.

We got Google Now 2 weeks ago, Music + AA on monday, Movies yesterday. I wonder what today will bring? Books?

I've finally got the option to view YouTube videos in 1080p and 480p in the app now. It's ridiculous that it took so long for me to get this. Anyone know what "conditions" have to be met for it to happen?

My GMail was finally updated to 5.0 and I'm a bit surprised by the lack of material design animations. Do I need Android 5.0 for that?

Speaking of Android 5.0, where the hell is my OTA?!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pushbullet now lets you initiate texts from your PC, not just respond to incoming ones (you still can't see your existing conversations though). This app just keeps getting more and more amazing! They're adding all the cool phone-to-PC features Android should have natively (IMO), Google should really pick them up.

My GMail was finally updated to 5.0 and I'm a bit surprised by the lack of material design animations. Do I need Android 5.0 for that?

Speaking of Android 5.0, where the hell is my OTA?!

Yeah, Gmail is really lacking on the animation side, it's the same for me on the Lollipop preview. Inbox has much more of the nice slidey stuff.

demented

Get a new phone. Not a great answer, I know, but 128 MB of internal storage is just waaaaaaay to little these days (or 5 years ago, for that matter).

Only if you send me the money :)
I have sony xperia z2 as my main phone, as I live abroad I use this phone just to keep my home country's sim card in it and for viber and whatsapp, literally nothing else. I'd like if it wasn't slow as shit but oh well. It was free and I don't have money to spend on new phone.

it's alcatel ot 991, so it's just 2 years old? lol

Pushbullet now lets you initiate texts from your PC, not just respond to incoming ones (you still can't see your existing conversations though). This app just keeps getting more and more amazing! They're adding all the cool phone-to-PC features Android should have natively (IMO), Google should really pick them up.

I reeeeally wish they could hook up into WhatsApp.

Yeah, Gmail is really lacking on the animation side, it's the same for me on the Lollipop preview. Inbox has much more of the nice slidey stuff.

That sucks, but thank you. I was really looking forward to get some material design goodness on my phone.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I reeeeally wish they could hook up into WhatsApp.

Blame WhatsApp for that, they don't have any public APIs for hooking into the service.

That sounds perfect. I keep hitting the task switcher thinking it's for switching tabs.

At first it felt a bit weird, being so used to switching tabs from within the browser, but now that I've been using it for a while I'm really starting to like this "tabs as apps" thing. Now I can treat my Facebook tab as if it's an app like any other (I don't want the actual app installed on my phone). This is gonna be a big thing with Lollipop apps overall, as Google's plan seems to be to move to a document-centric approach rather than an app-centric one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom