• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

My GMail was finally updated to 5.0 and I'm a bit surprised by the lack of material design animations. Do I need Android 5.0 for that?

Speaking of Android 5.0, where the hell is my OTA?!
does it work well for you?, if i select an email it won't load, just the loading animation forever.. on both my nexus5 and note4.
I went back to previous version and works fine.
ZOsfPmq.jpg

SimleuqiR

I'm probably the only one that pre-ordered the Nexus Player in this thread, but here is a 5 minute walk through of the interface:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/05/android-tv-video-walkthrough/?ncid=rss

I’m a big fan of Android TV, even in its early infancy. While some reviewers cited the Nexus Player’s flaws as reasons for a mostly lukewarm response, I think the software has a lot more potential than many are giving it credit for. It’s a nascent platform that needs more third-party support to truly shine, but in the short-term what it lacks in that regard can be made up by its ability to act as a Chromecast device. And what it does count in its limited repertoire of onboard software capabilities, it does very well – the simplicity of Google’s approach here is its biggest strength, because lean-back interfaces don’t benefit from trying to achieve the sophistication or feature set of today’s mobile devices.

I'm still hoping for a future update in the OS that allows you to search for content across all apps and services (Not just Google's).

kehs

Banned
So what kind of charger do I need then? I want to find a cheap one.

The magnetic adapter already improved charging times for me so this will be awesome. I'm not going to use it too much though if it's going negatively affect the battery health.

Anything that is "rapid charge 2.0" compatible, but it seems any charge that does 1.5 or 2 amps will let the phone charge faster than normal. (chargers from tablets usually)

material design just hit maps

APK:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/maps/maps-9-0-0-apk/

Jzero

I love the new calendar app. I wish we got cool little backgrounds like the tablet version though. The Nexus 6 is huge anyway.

Edit: oh i guess we get miniature backgrounds as the cover pictures of every month.

What's this rapid charging about? I was happy that I had a bunch of Micro USB cables ready to use for my Z3, but it sounds like that's not the case if this rapid charging stuff is worth it? :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
is this commentary for my post? what did i do wrong?

Your image is absolute humongous on desktop GAF. If you do it like
imageurlhere[/ img][/ quote][/B] (without the spaces) it gets scaled down to a reasonable size and people can click it to see the full size.

Like this:

[quote][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZOsfPmq.jpg

Benedict

Any impressions yet on how Nexus 7 2012 works with Lollipop?

It's getting slower and slower by the day for me...
Would like to get it a new life with the Lollipop udate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why doesn't the new Calendar app still not show the current date on the icon? That bugs the shit out of me :p

There have never been dynamic icons in Android that I'm aware of...? Widgets, on the other hand. Could have a 1x1 widget that looks like the icon but shows the correct date.

Majine

Banned
There have never been dynamic icons in Android that I'm aware of...? Widgets, on the other hand. Could have a 1x1 widget that looks like the icon but shows the correct date.

I'm not seeing a widget for the new calendar. Score one for iOS, I have to say. I miss that.

Okay, in your opinion, guys, what phone do you think will be the next big thing by the time I get my phone upgrade (on the contract) by June/July? Xperia Z4? GS6? HTC M9? LG G4?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay, in your opinion, guys, what phone do you think will be the next big thing by the time I get my phone upgrade (on the contract) by June/July? Xperia Z4? GS6? HTC M9? LG G4?

Samsung and HTC will def have their new flagships with 64 bit chips by then.

LG is a toss up, and Sony depends on where you live.

Hasney

I'm a couple of months before you and I'm banking on Z4. Especially if the rumor specs were true AND they can keep the Z3 battery life.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have been having some weird issues with the battery on my Droid Turbo. I put it on the charger last night at about 10 when I was going to sleep. Woke up around 3AM and it was crazy hot. I unplugged it and didn't look at it again until I got up at 6:15. The battery was down to 81% after sitting untouched in the dark for three hours. It seems to be fine after a reboot, but I have not been getting the kind of battery life out of this thing that I expected. I also keep getting battery drain issues from Amazon apps.

Jzero

I'm not seeing a widget for the new calendar. Score one for iOS, I have to say. I miss that.

Dude just look at your lock screen for the date. Better than unlocking the phone, open the app drawer and looking at the calendar icon.

Dude just look at your lock screen for the date. Better than unlocking the phone, open the app drawer and looking at the calendar icon.

What if he has the calendar icon on the home screen and he's using the phone? Turning it off and back on again?

Of course the real solution is to press and hold the notification bar. But it's still weird how active icons aren't a thing on Android. The mail icon on the notification bar doesn't tell me how many unread mails I got.

Pacbois

My ISP will launch an Android TV set-up box next year and I'll probably grab it, even if it dosen't have an internal hd for DVR which is kind of a bummer.

does it work well for you?, if i select an email it won't load, just the loading animation forever.. on both my nexus5 and note4.
I went back to previous version and works fine.

It works fine. It opens and receives mails without problems. Even from my Outlook account.

Your image is absolute humongous on desktop GAF. If you do it like
I posted from my note 4, hope i fixed it now.
My apologies

There's no need to apologize. Everyone who's complaining about this is a little baby.

Basically the heavy hitters. Such as flagship devices.

As a side note, I'm Verizon... and probably will stay as them (coverage in my area).
If that's the case, look at whatever releases with an 810 Snapdragon processor (which should be all flagship phones). I would go with the Z4 or M9. However, Samsung seems to making some moves for the better in their phone so look out gor the S6.

longdi

Banned
Z2 4.4.4 update is out now and makes Z2 functions almost like a Z3, which also means UGLY BIG ICONS AND FONTS on deck!

Who the hell at Sony allowed this to pass?
Z2 UI was way more slick looking, way more.

Just tried my girlfriends small town where you can only get Orange network coverage. It confirmed that, so it may be legit.

It's kinda fucked up that how outside of major cities, T-mobile is such a piece of shit in my state. I hate that I went to a college that it barely works (2G). Have friends up there and would only have 2G if I was there. Where I live right now, I'll get 3G at best or something like that for T-mobile as well. So for me, I'm kinda forced onto Verizon for coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom