• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of battery drain I woke up to find my Z3 on like 82% when I woke. It was definitely in the early 90s when I slept.

First thing I did was turn off the auto-updates. Could this be the cause? Bluetooth was on as well.

Any way to turn off google now reminders in Inbox off? I have a repeating reminder set for twice a day, for the last 4 months in google now. Inbox displays them all now as not done and pinned which looks cluttered and a lot of work to clear...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Best Qi charger? I don't want one that will overheat my phone or be difficult with placement on the pad. The CHOE looks nice... experiences?

The official Nexus charger (the latest, flat one) is really good. I've never noticed any unusual heat with my N5. Placement is easy, because there's a magnet inside the charger, so the phone kind of "snaps" to the correct position. And it doesn't make any noise, which many cheaper ones do. It's also really sleek and stylish, IMO. The only downside is the price, I guess. There are certainly many cheaper options.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
your wife sounds amazing, she's a keeper. don't fuck up.

13 years now, there's a reason I'm still here.

Either way, I'm going to wait to get the Nexus in my hands to try before deciding. I hate waiting for stuff though.

I already had screen size envy before between my wife's Nokia 920 and my iPhone 5s... and now she makes my phone feel wholly inadequate.

I do a lot of work through e-mail.. and the small screen is painful to type on and to read longer e-mails.

timnich

What is the general concesus on the Z3? I've read a few reviews but wanted some real world opinions.

I'm asking because I've had enough of the Nexus 5's battery life. I love everything else about the phone but it's battery life just sucks. The battery drains so quickly, mostly just from listening to music and podcasts all day at work, with some light browsing. I actually saw some improvement from android 5.0, but it's still pretty terrible. I could potentially upgrade to the Z3 for $200, just wanted to know if it was worth giving up stock Android for. Any issues that people have run into?

Bri

What is the general concesus on the Z3? I've read a few reviews but wanted some real world opinions.

I'm asking because I've had enough of the Nexus 5's battery life. I love everything else about the phone but it's battery life just sucks. The battery drains so quickly, mostly just from listening to music and podcasts all day at work, with some light browsing. I actually saw some improvement from android 5.0, but it's still pretty terrible. I could potentially upgrade to the Z3 for $200, just wanted to know if it was worth giving up stock Android for. Any issues that people have run into?

Sucks to hear man. If I can't go through a day with podcast listening and light browsing I'm definitely skipping the N5.

I'll probably never upgrade my phone.

Oh well, the new BeyondPodcast app is looking material and nice.

NervousXtian

I know battery dying is annoying.. but if you're at a desk environment.. why not just keep the phone plugged in while at work?u

My iPhone 5s never makes it through a day of work without charging at some point.

Volotaire

I really hope the phone manufacturers do not put in 1440p screens next year in their flagships. I would really like them to focus on battery life. Of course, they are not mutually exclusive, but I doubt we are going to see such significant gains in battery life to support the losses from a 1440p screen.

malyce

I really hope the phone manufacturers do not put in 1440p screens next year in their flagships. I would really like them to focus on battery life. Of course, they are not mutually exclusive, but I doubt we are going to see such significant gains in battery life to support the losses from a 1440p screen.

Uhh, the 1440p displays next year are gonna be more power efficient than this year's 1080p displays. 20nm SoCs, beefier GPUs, better modems, and eficient displays should improve battery life significantly in next year's flagships.

NervousXtian

Yeah it's kinda pointless even on the bigger screens but on the 5" it's just wasting power for the sake of hitting an advertising spec.

I know there's people who disagree. But battery and speed are better than unneeded pixels in my book.

NervousXtian

Uhh, the 1440p displays next year are gonna be more power efficient than this year's 1080p displays. 20nm SoCs, beefier GPUs, better modems, and eficient displays should improve battery life significantly in next year's flagships.

But still wouldn't a more efficient 1080 save even more juice? There's just not the need other than a selling point.

timnich

I know battery dying is annoying.. but if you're at a desk environment.. why not just keep the phone plugged in while at work?u

My iPhone 5s never makes it through a day of work without charging at some point.
That's what I do, but I am constantly leaving my desk for meetings. Unplugging and plugging my phone constantly is a hassle. I guess I could get a cheap wireless charging pad for my desk.

Volotaire

Nice to hear. But I would probably still choose a 1080p screen, if given the choice and assuming its more power efficient, between a 1080p and 1440p on a mobile device for the extra battery life.

TTOOLL

I've been having a lot of problems with Google Search for the past couple of days. Anyone else?
I uninstalled the updates and update it again, it seems fine. Let's see...

NotBacon

Wait for final Lollipop in a couple weeks, then decide.

I definitely think you should wait until L is out and then decide, but here are my impressions:

I've had mine for about a week and I really love it. The battery life definitely blows my old iPhone 5S away, but I think the fabled 2 DAYS OF BATTERY LIFE!!!! are kind of overhyped. I get a day of heavy use and some change with stamina mode. It's nice to have a feature rich phone that can make it through a full day of use without dying. Wonders never cease!

The things I don't like:
- The camera is pretty disappointing, especially coming from Sony. Why is it so laggy!?
- A case is absolutely required IMO. The phone is so slippery with the glass back, I was really afraid I was going to fumble it and shatter the front or back by dropping it.
- Sony bloatware isn't nearly as bad as other manufacturers, but it's still there. The stupid Sony What's New thing being next to the Google Now button is the most obnoxious, simply because its so unnecessary.

reKon

Banned
I definitely think you should wait until L is out and then decide, but here are my impressions:

I've had mine for about a week and I really love it. The battery life definitely blows my old iPhone 5S away, but I think the fabled 2 DAYS OF BATTERY LIFE!!!! are kind of overhyped. I get a day of heavy use and some change with stamina mode. It's nice to have a feature rich phone that can make it through a full day of use without dying. Wonders never cease!

The things I don't like:
- The camera is pretty disappointing, especially coming from Sony. Why is it so laggy!?
- A case is absolutely required IMO. The phone is so slippery with the glass back, I was really afraid I was going to fumble it and shatter the front or back by dropping it.
- Sony bloatware isn't nearly as bad as other manufacturers, but it's still there. The stupid Sony What's New thing being next to the Google Now button is the most obnoxious, simply because its so unnecessary.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-...-rootremove-whats-navring-small-apps-t2902419

You're welcome

malyce

But still wouldn't a more efficient 1080 save even more juice? There's just not the need other than a selling point.

Nice to hear. But I would probably still choose a 1080p screen, if given the choice and assuming its more power efficient, between a 1080p and 1440p on a mobile device for the extra battery life.

1080p screens are about as efficient as they're gonna get, and Sam/LG/Sharp have already moved on to making more efficient 2k+ screens. Sorry, but if you want better battery life it's gonna come wrapped in a flagship with a high res display while 1080p displays will be used for mid-range devices with weaker specs.

kehs

Banned
Lenovo completes $2.91 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility - Oct 31, 2014

Last post by orisis - Nov 1, 2014

Volotaire

1080p screens are about as efficient as they're gonna get, and Sam/LG/Sharp have already moved on to making more efficient 2k+ screens. Sorry, but if you want better battery life it's gonna come wrapped in a flagship with a high res display while 1080p displays will be used for mid-range devices with weaker specs.

Well that's great to hear then! I do not care about the resolution, I only care if the resolution impacts battery life. If 1080p screens have reached their most efficient point and 2k screens surpass this theoretical efficient point and keep improving on the battery life than 1080p screens, then I would glad prefer the latter. It's only logical.

NervousXtian

38.89 no interest for 18mos... 64gb blue.. delivered est on 19th.

Do I push the go button.

Nevermind.. I waited too long.. went from pre-order on the 19th.. to Back-order on the 19th.

NervousXtian

Fuck it, ordered it. Delivery est 19th.

Why not, would have been the same cost going through AT&T Next.. and now I don't have to hope it's in stock whenever it drops.

free shipping to boot.

VoxPop

After looking at the N6 a few more times, the phone seems great but lacks in the hardware design department. I wish Google had HTC build the N6 and had Motorola make the N9.

Lollipop looks great as well. Might pick up a white N6 and check it out.

Milpool

Nexus 6 on the UK Play Store has changed from not available in your country to coming soon.

32GB £499
64GB £549

I shit my pants when the page monitor went off.

Haven't seen Osiris in days.
After Vanilla spoke truth, I wouldn't want to be seen either.
Lenovo completes $2.91 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility - Oct 31, 2014

Last post by orisis - Nov 1, 2014
giphy.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vanillalite with the #realtalk and shut Osiris down. It was so real talk, dude self banned.

After looking at the N6 a few more times, the phone seems great but lacks in the hardware design department. I wish Google had HTC build the N6 and had Motorola make the N9.

Lollipop looks great as well. Might pick up a white N6 and check it out.

It's a really ugly phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom