• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFyn

Not sure where else to ask this, but...

I'm having problems with the rear-facing camera on my HTC One M8. It's constantly blurry and never delivers crisp pictures, especially around the photos edges. The front facing camera seems more clear. I'm not sure if the hardware got borked somehow or if I've got some unknown setting on that's giving me a blurry, soft-focus look.

Any ideas?
You might have ufocus turned on
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-g...tographers-adjust-their-ufocus-blur-intensity

Some examples and comparisons here

Just got my Galaxy Note 4's new UAG case.
Holy shit, it's marvelous. Seriously. Makes it easier to hold while feeling like a tank.

Any recommendations for a replacement camera app? I want to use QuickPic as my main gallery when using a camera due to it's Wi-Fi transfer, but the Samsung camera app sucks. :(

RedFyn

Looks like that mode is only used in the Gallery to alter photos that have already been taken. Good thought, though.
Oh ok. It's been a while since I saw a review but remembered something about being able to focus on stuff.

Is this it? http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/general/how-to-fix-htc-one-m8-camera-issue-t2803825

Any recommendations for a replacement camera app? I want to use QuickPic as my main gallery when using a camera due to it's Wi-Fi transfer, but the Samsung camera app sucks. :(

I haven't used many camera apps and I haven't used the newest version but I like the stock camera. Of the other apps I've tried I haven't found one that does more than Google's without being overly complicated or has an ugly ui. I like the simplicity and minimalism of the stock app.

Quasar

That Australian pricing is fucking mental.

Well it doesn't seem that bad to me.

I mean the 649 USD price conevrted is 758.84, and with 10% GST that's 835 or so. So admittedly there's a slight markup, but its not horrendous.

Not that I'd spend that kind of money. I'm still using a nexus 4.

Well it doesn't seem that bad to me.

I mean the 649 USD price conevrted is 758.84, and with 10% GST that's 835 or so. So admittedly there's a slight markup, but its not horrendous.

Not that I'd spend that kind of money. I'm still using a nexus 4.

pretty small markup when you put it that way

Zeppu

So my launch Nexus 9, which I had to run through hoops to get after Amazon UK had said they'd be dispatching on 15th December, has arrived, erm, later than some guy who stuck to the Amazon UK order.

I'm super deflated about this tablet to be honest. Doesn't seem to be anything special.

So my launch Nexus 9, which I had to run through hoops to get after Amazon UK had said they'd be dispatching on 15th December, has arrived, erm, later than some guy who stuck to the Amazon UK order.

I'm super deflated about this tablet to be honest. Doesn't seem to be anything special.
Lol. What are your impressions of it so far?

Zeppu

Lol. What are your impressions of it so far?

- Display looks fantastic. I don't have any bleeding. Viewing angles and colours seem very nice.
- Speakers are okayish. They're better than any other tablet/phones speakers but the volume seems to fluctuate, as if it's being normalized. but since they're so close to the outer edges the sound varies depending on how you hold it.
- The device performance collapsed while it was installing apps and syncing. I left it alone for a few minutes until it sorted everything out and it seems much snappier now. Google now launcher is super smooth but opening/switching apps is slow. Takes about half a second to go from an app to the homescreen after pressing the home button.
- First 20 mins of usage and the back was already feeling warm.
- The give on the back panel is there, but not nearly as bad as has been advertised. It's annoying that a tablet of this price has it but not a deal breaker by any stretch.
- Volume/power buttons are way too shallow. Tap to wake is godly though.
- Did I mention the screen is fantastic?
- UK Charger design is terrible. Absolutely terrible.
- Back feels very nice and grippy. Smudges, but I don't care.
- Lollipop is incredibly pretty. The only issue really is task switching which seems to take its sweet time for some reason.

Overall it's okay, I guess. I expected a much smoother OS and I expected better build quality from HTC.

Majine

Banned
Having problems with Pocket Casts. It's always, and I mean always, pausing the podcast when I'm doing other stuff in Android.

- Display looks fantastic. I don't have any bleeding. Viewing angles and colours seem very nice.
- Speakers are okayish. They're better than any other tablet/phones speakers but the volume seems to fluctuate, as if it's being normalized. but since they're so close to the outer edges the sound varies depending on how you hold it.
- The device performance collapsed while it was installing apps and syncing. I left it alone for a few minutes until it sorted everything out and it seems much snappier now. Google now launcher is super smooth but opening/switching apps is slow. Takes about half a second to go from an app to the homescreen after pressing the home button.
- The give on the back panel is there, but not nearly as bad as has been advertised. It's annoying that a tablet of this price has it but not a deal breaker by any stretch.
- Lollipop is incredibly pretty. The only issue really is task switching which seems to take its sweet time for some reason.

Overall it's okay, I guess. I expected a much smoother OS and I expected better build quality from HTC.
The performance drop sounds like the system was under stress. I wonder why Google only went with 2gb of ram. It's good to hear that the display is fantastic. Is it as good as the Air 2? The slowness sounds like it would easily annoy me but it's nothing an update can't fix. This is supposed to piss in Apple's cereal but I guess it won't happen this year. I think I'll go the Android/Windows combo in the Nexus 6 and Surface Pro 3.

Wreav

Banned
Verizon releasing a special NFL branded Moto X. I wonder if it smells like a football. I do kinda love the back in an on-paper way. I'd never want to be seen with it.

nfl-moto-x.jpg

Do you guys think phones with the snapdragon 810 and other 64-bit processors are going to have much better real world performance than those with the 805? I'm really wanting the Nexus 6 right now, but part of me thinks I should wait.

Scalibur

Not sure where else to ask this, but...

I'm having problems with the rear-facing camera on my HTC One M8. It's constantly blurry and never delivers crisp pictures, especially around the photos edges. The front facing camera seems more clear. I'm not sure if the hardware got borked somehow or if I've got some unknown setting on that's giving me a blurry, soft-focus look.

Any ideas?

Your camera lens might be cloudy. It is an issue that occurs with some M8s due to a coating they placed on the lens. Search Youtube for fixes.

Toki767

Do you guys think phones with the snapdragon 810 and other 64-bit processors are going to have much better real world performance than those with the 805? I'm really wanting the Nexus 6 right now, but part of me thinks I should wait.

Probably. If anything because phones next will probably all be QHD at least and the Snapdragon 810 should come with a beefier Adreno GPU.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Probably. If anything because phones next will probably all be QHD at least and the Snapdragon 810 should come with a beefier Adreno GPU.

Toki is correct, but you are in the same mindset as me.

Problem is you aren't gonna see any new 810 phones till April at the earliest. That means you are waiting 4 and a half months minimum. At some point you get into that game of you can always wait 6 months in Android land and get something better.

Toki767

Toki is correct, but you are in the same mindset as me.

Problem is you aren't gonna see any new 810 phones till April at the earliest. That means you are waiting 4 and a half months minimum. At some point you get into that game of you can always wait 6 months in Android land and get something better.

Yeah. Basically if you need/want a new phone now, you may as well get a new phone now. It's not even a guarantee that the Snapdragon 810 will even be ready for April I think.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Just wait.

Yeah. Basically if you need/want a new phone now, you may as well get a new phone now. It's not even a guarantee that the Snapdragon 810 will even be ready for April I think.
Also, an even better phone will be out by years end next year and the waiting game will continue. However, whatever phone you get now should be ready for the future.

Wreav

Banned
Just know that roughly 3 months after you buy a phone, there will be a better phone. Waiting is futile. You can always sell your phone mid contract and recoup about half the cost of a new out of contract device.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Just know that roughly 3 months after you buy a phone, there will be a better phone. Waiting is futile. You can always sell your phone mid contract and recoup about half the cost of a new out of contract device.

also what is a new phone 3 months from now really going to offer that a phone now doesn't? screens are good, cameras are good, the software is fast.

It's not like it was a few years ago where each iteration was a major improvement. Just buy something you like now and enjoy it.

Vanillalite

also what is a new phone 3 months from now really going to offer that a phone now doesn't? screens are good, cameras are good, the software is fast.

It's not like it was a few years ago where each iteration was a major improvement. Just buy something you like now and enjoy it.

To be fair we are at the delta of 64 bit chips.

How much that matters can be debated, but we are at a gulf where starting next year basically every phone will be a 64 bit chip in some form or fashion as Qualcomm has their full lineup refreshed for 64 bit versions from the 210, 410, 610, and 810.

Wreav

Banned
I have an iPhone with a 64 bit chip, and will STILL get lag/hitches from time to time. If Apple can't get past that with 64 bit, I have very little confidence in Google and their OEMs doing it.

That is to say, 64bit is just more marketing speak for now.

How much that matters can be debated, but we are at a gulf where starting next year basically every phone will be a 64 bit chip in some form or fashion as Qualcomm has their full lineup refreshed for 64 bit versions from the 210, 410, 610, and 810.
God dammit Vanilla, I'm trying to stick with my Nexus 6 decision.
I don't want to second guess myself yet again

Hasney

I have an iPhone with a 64 bit chip, and will STILL get lag/hitches from time to time. If Apple can't get past that with 64 bit, I have very little confidence in Google and their OEMs doing it.

That is to say, 64bit is just more marketing speak for now.

Well if the Z4 specs are to be believed, it'll take a bump to 4GB as well in RAM which is a very good benefit. I'm not going to take Apple as an example to the pros and cons of 64GB when they refuse to increase their RAM.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

This is only really going to matter when phones get a considerable memory bump.

Vanillalite

Well if the Z4 specs are to be believed, it'll take a bump to 4GB as well in RAM which is a very good benefit. I'm not going to take Apple as an example to the pros and cons of 64GB when they refuse to increase their RAM.

4 GB of RAM In practicle terms won't be all that much different than 3 GB.

What will make a difference is when the switch to LPDDR4 happens. I'm expecting that to happen in 2015, but it's been almost too quiet on that front so you might not get it till 2016 or only in say the Note 5 late in the year.

NotBacon

Yeah totally wait for April... but then Snapdragon 820 will be coming so then you should wait for November but then...

Next-gen processors are just going to be a little more power efficient and drive higher-res displays. You're not going to get better real-world performance. Maybe milliseconds here and there, but seriously, go try (for example) a Moto X 2014 and tell me you're dissatisfied with its performance. You won't be.

Just get the Nexus 6. The waiting game for some higher numbers is dumb.

Vanillalite

This is only really going to matter when phones get a considerable memory bump.

Register stuff matters.

I don't want to get to technical for this thread, but the idea that it's just a bump to allow for more than 4 gigs of addressable memory is false.

Nicktendo86

Had a go on my brother's note 4. The lag is really disappointing, just small hitches here and there which add up. I would expect a phone of it's specs to be smooth throughout. Opening the recent apps was especially bad.

Some of the hardware/software additions are interesting. The fingerprint scanner worked well, the multi wimdow stuff is good. The sheer amount of stiff and options though is just confusing and overwhelming.

Not for me. Touch whiz looks better now but is still a mess.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I've updated my Xperia Z2 to Sony's new firmware of 4.4.4, my battery drained itself in less than 5 hours with intermittent usage. WTH? Any solution?

Is the Nexus 7 still one of the better inexpensive 7 inch tablets? My mom is looking for one and I figured the 7 will be more than enough for what she needs while still being a good experience.

Or what about the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch for a similar price?

You may want to go into dev options and change animation/transition time to .5
It was an improvement IMO

Laekon

The Google app update time lines are really odd. Maps hasn't been updated on my Nexus 5 but has on my iPad.

The new mail app is annoying. To go between accounts the menu slides out from the side and you can swipe between them. The problem is that as soon as you swipe it brings you directly into the inbox instead of letting you select anything such as another account. So you have to go in and out of multiple accounts to get to the one you want.

Another issue might be Microsoft and not Google. I use a hotmail account for all my junk like store emails and the syncing seems to be off. I'll delete an email on my phone but it will still show up on the web. If I click on the email it then says it's not there and removes it. This never happened with the standard Android mail app though.

Still hope 5.0 makes the batter life of the Nexus 5 better.

kehs

Banned
The Google app update time lines are really odd. Maps hasn't been updated on my Nexus 5 but has on my iPad.

The new mail app is annoying. To go between accounts the menu slides out from the side and you can swipe between them. The problem is that as soon as you swipe it brings you directly into the inbox instead of letting you select anything such as another account. So you have to go in and out of multiple accounts to get to the one you want.

Another issue might be Microsoft and not Google. I use a hotmail account for all my junk like store emails and the syncing seems to be off. I'll delete an email on my phone but it will still show up on the web. If I click on the email it then says it's not there and removes it. This never happened with the standard Android mail app though.

Still hope 5.0 makes the batter life of the Nexus 5 better.

Just hit the down arrow next to the account name. I hate that swipe gesture for account switching.

Vanillalite

Is the Nexus 7 still one of the better inexpensive 7 inch tablets? My mom is looking for one and I figured the 7 will be more than enough for what she needs while still being a good experience.

Or what about the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch for a similar price?

Nexus 7 still GOAT.

Also if you don't mind you can find manufacturer refurb units for like $150 a lot of the time on the web.

ajpw

ehhh their probably wont be support until android 6.0 anyway

You all make good points. I don't need a new phone. My S4 gets the job done, but the S600 is def showing its age at times. Maybe the lollipop update will be good enough to hold me over til next year. Then again, Faceless has a point about jumping into the 64 bit arena after all the kinks are worked out.

This would be a much easier decision if I was into iOS.

Vanillalite

dunno if youre being serious or not but i doubt android will take full advantage of 64 bit android for a while yet. hell theyve only just moved chrome on the desktop to 64 bit

I am serious. You need to definte things. What do you mean by take full advantage?

All of this is just vague conjecture without any real substance.

Eh, it's different when waiting means 64bit processors and over 3GB of ram. IMO mid next year will be the perfect time to upgrade if you aren't going the Nexus/Moto route.

Amagon

I know the Z3 is out and all but how is the Xperia Z1? Looking for a cheap phone to hold off til next year for something better and don't want to spend much. I believe T-Mobile has it for $200 right now refurb.

Vanillalite

Eh, it's different when waiting means 64bit processors and over 3GB of ram. IMO mid next year will be the perfect time to upgrade if you aren't going the Nexus/Moto route.

What do you need over 3 gigs of RAM for though? What is RAM constrained now? Is it purely running out of RAM space or is it bandwidth? Will 4 gigs of LPDDR3 really do much for average tasks over 3? Are you figuring the 4 gigs will be LPDDR4 with increased bandwidth?

What do you need over 3 gigs of RAM for though? What is RAM constrained now? Is it purely running out of RAM space or is it bandwidth? Will 4 gigs of LPDDR3 really do much for average tasks over 3? Are you figuring the 4 gigs will be LPDDR4 with increased bandwidth?
Doesn't more ram mean a larger number of apps being open and less refreshes?

Vanillalite

Doesn't more ram mean a larger number of apps being open and less refreshes?

Is this an actual problem for you now? Do you feel you get a ton of app refrshes? How much RAM do you currently have? 2 gigs? 3 gigs? Are you the type of person to gave a gazillion chrometabs?

There is no right or wrong answers to a lot of what I am saying, but I am asking to think specific and not just look at oh 4 gigs is more than 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom