• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

After looking at the N6 a few more times, the phone seems great but lacks in the hardware design department. I wish Google had HTC build the N6 and had Motorola make the N9.

Lollipop looks great as well. Might pick up a white N6 and check it out.

It's a love it or hate it type thing I guess. Personally I think it looks great.
What really matters though is that every single hands-on so far has said the phone screams premium.

kehs

Banned
I'm probably the only one that pre-ordered the Nexus Player in this thread, but here is a 5 minute walk through of the interface:

Shipping early!

When Google launched the Nexus Player, it was listed with a lengthy 3-4 week shipping window, but it seems that Mountain View has gotten its ducks in a row sooner than that. We've gotten multiple tips that Nexus Players and controllers are on their way to buyers.

Impressions please!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...early-arriving-on-doorsteps-as-soon-as-today/

Groof

So I noticed the built-in Japanese keyboard in Lollipop has a floating mode:

Screenshot_2014-11-06-22-43-00.png
Screenshot_2014-11-06-22-43-13.png

You can resize, move and change its opacity. Maybe a sign of things to come?

So I noticed the built-in Japanese keyboard in Lollipop has a floating mode:

You can resize, move and change its opacity. Maybe a sign of things to come?
This is great, especially for tablets. It seems AP didn't even know this was a feature as it's not mentioned in their post about the different keyboard updates. Anyway, I hope this is part of the regular Google Keyboard as well, whenever Google decides to update it on the Play Store.

Groof

This is great, especially for tablets. It seems AP didn't even know this was a feature as it's not mentioned in their post about the different keyboard updates. Anyway, I hope this is part of the regular Google Keyboard as well, whenever Google decides to update it on the Play Store.

The built-in Japanese keyboard on Nexus devices is different from Google's own on the Play Store. It's outsourced to a company called Omron Software and the app is called Iwnn IME. Problem with that is that it's only updated through full software updates.

dc89

Nexus 6 on the UK Play Store has changed from not available in your country to coming soon.

32GB £499
64GB £549

I shit my pants when the page monitor went off.

Hmmm.

Don't know wether I should get one in March and sell my Z3 (my first android phone btw) to partly cover it. What do GAF?

The built-in Japanese keyboard on Nexus devices is different from Google's own on the Play Store. It's outsourced to a company called Omron Software and the app is called Iwnn IME. Problem with that is that it's only updated through full software updates.
Ah ok, gotcha.

Quick Droid turbo battery review:

The only way you will get 48 hours from this battery is if you don't use your phone for 2 days. That doesn't mean it has bad battery life. I can wake up at 6am and by the time I go to bed at 10pm the battery will be at 15% with 5 hours of screen time while streaming a couple hours of audio during my commute. On a busy day where I'm not really on my phone it can last me the entire day then I can go out and keep checking it till around 10 am-12pm the next day with 3.5+ hours of screen time.

Not 48 hours but damn good battery life. And if it is running low the turbo charger gets you good to go again pretty quickly.

Wreav

Banned

The only way you will get 48 hours from this battery is if you don't use your phone for 2 days. That doesn't mean it has bad battery life. I can wake up at 6am and by the time I go to bed at 10pm the battery will be at 15% with 5 hours of screen time while streaming a couple hours of audio during my commute. On a busy day where I'm not really on my phone it can last me the entire day then I can go out and keep checking it till around 10 am-12pm the next day with 3.5+ hours of screen time.

Not 48 hours but damn good battery life. And if it is running low the turbo charger gets you good to go again pretty quickly.

Basically exactly what Droid Life reported, which is good news.

NotBacon

Sounds like Moto X 2014
not even joking

Da fuck? I get 5 and a half to 6 hours of sot for my OPO with 800mah less.

The idle battery drain is oddly high; I'm guessing it's all the sensors that keep running for moto display.

Another downside is that no other charger besides the turbo charger seems to actually charge the device well. I tried using my Nexus 9 charger and the battery actually went down even though the phone gave me the pop-up for a turbo charger being connected.

reKon

Banned

It's all relative. By the way typically I use my phone (stream music) while browsing sites like GAF, screen on for an hour or so daily on commutes, chat on hangouts, occasionally stream video, etc with pushbullet, gmail, drive, calendar, chrome, music, dropbox, etc sync'd with Google Now on - my phone get "three day battery life".

If I were to start gaming, that would probably turn to 1 1/2 to 2 day battery.

The first day I got my phone was the day I hit it the hardest. From full I got 6.5 hours screen time and I believe 10-12 hours (downloading a lot of apps and using non stop). I'm sure the battery has improved since then.

That's good, but pretty underwhelming battery life considering the size of the battery. I wonder if it's the QHD display, software, or something else that's the cause.

Honestly, I'd like to see thicker phones with 5000mAh batteries like that Chinese phone The Verge did an article about earlier.

malyce

That's good, but pretty underwhelming battery life considering the size of the battery. I wonder if it's the QHD display, software, or something else that's the cause.

Honestly, I'd like to see thicker phones with 5000mAh batteries like that Chinese phone The Verge did an article about earlier.

It's most likely a software issue. The Note 4 and N6 can eek 6+ hours out of a 3200mah battery and they both have >=.5" larger displays. At the very least the turbo should be putting up Z3/c numbers. Those 810 SoCs can't get here fast enough. Next year should be the sweet spot for flagships.

sounds like Note 4 battery life with a 30% bigger battery

Vanillalite with the #realtalk and shut Osiris down. It was so real talk, dude self banned.

It's a really ugly phone.

Yes because I never made a post before the hate fest saying that I was going to take a vaca from the forum now did I?

Let's just ignore that and continue the blind hate. Wouldn't want y'all to bust character. While your at it.. Maybe you guys could also post some more of my replies without showing what i was actually replying to.

Oh hey look who it is!

Had a pm from another member to reply to so I figured I would swing by for a little elbow elbow wrist wrist. 😀

Edit: BTW the nexus 9 is the bomb. 50 bucks or so over priced and not quite up to par with apple construction but the best android tablet hands down.

Drifters

Yes because I never made a post before the hate fest saying that I was going to take a vaca from the forum now now did I?

Let's just ignore that and continue the blind hate. Maybe you guys could also post some more of my replies without showing what i was actually replying to. Wouldn't want y'all to bust character.
I love that you channel pctx's vigor when it comes to your belief system.

Quasar

I'm probably the only one that pre-ordered the Nexus Player in this thread, but here is a 5 minute walk through of the interface:

I was going to, but the lack of ethernet combined with the rough edges on the OS has me waiting till after CES to see if someone else announces a androidtv box with ethernet.

Plus theres so many questions about the codex support in hardware and the OS. Certainly I'd like it to pass through lossless audio codecs for instance.

tablet usage in north america:

1kBTMhW.png

But I'm sure the $400 nexus 9 is going to help, lol.
Gotdamn! But price isn't the problem with Android tablets. The high end, flagship ones are definitely worth the price. Anyway, every Android tablet could be 99 bones and people still wouldn't buy them in large numbers. The iPad just has the Kleenex effect, and moist people don't even know the competition exists.

I'd love to see worldwide numbers as well. I expect it to be a little less of a slaughter.

If some random person asked me which tablet they should buy, 99% of the time I'd probably recommend the ipad. As would any non-biased person, assuming price isn't an issue. That's the real problem.

I feel like price was the differentiator. At least if you're charging a much smaller fee you can say it's still decent and it'll cost you less for web browsing. Without that....why would the average person get anything other than an ipad mini/air. They just wont. There's no reason for them to.

ThisOne

Not sure where else to ask this, but...

I'm having problems with the rear-facing camera on my HTC One M8. It's constantly blurry and never delivers crisp pictures, especially around the photos edges. The front facing camera seems more clear. I'm not sure if the hardware got borked somehow or if I've got some unknown setting on that's giving me a blurry, soft-focus look.

Any ideas?

snacknuts

we all knew her

Pretty much my experience so far. I got better battery life out of my G2 when it was brand new.

Toki767

Not sure where else to ask this, but...

I'm having problems with the rear-facing camera on my HTC One M8. It's constantly blurry and never delivers crisp pictures, especially around the photos edges. The front facing camera seems more clear. I'm not sure if the hardware got borked somehow or if I've got some unknown setting on that's giving me a blurry, soft-focus look.

Any ideas?

Those ultrapixels.

Are you sure you aren't using that mode where it focuses in one one picture and blurs the background?

remz

That Australian pricing is fucking mental.

same ridiculous pricing as any other high end phone off contract though. If i want one I'm probably going back into optus hell provided that they carry it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd love to see worldwide numbers as well. I expect it to be a little less of a slaughter.

Android tablets are way ahead of iPads in sales since last year or so, although Apple still has the total usage lead (but it's not even close to the US situation worldwide). Pretty soon Android is gonna be in the lead there too, it's just taking longer than it did with phones (and maybe the dominance will never be quite that crushing on the tablet side).

Don't have any particular links right now, but just Google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom