• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
Has the google keyboard auto correct started repeating words for anyone else? Like it will put two of the same word together when you try to move to the next word like moviemovie or movmovie like it cuts off part of the word and then repeats. It seems like it's only started with the last update.

Yeah I've had that happen a few times, only way to make it stop is a reboot.

Audioboxer

If only Motorola didn't cheap out on the Moto X with the battery, storage, and camera, then it would be the best phone ever made.

I'm returning my Moto X for a Galaxy S5 :( Moto X hardware is awesome but the camera sucks, battery is weak and the AMOLED display is "last gen" AMOLED.

I'm importing the South Korean S5, so I'm getting the QuadHD AMOLED panel and 805 CPU/420 GPU. Also removable storage.

But it's shocking that the Moto X has Lollipop before Nexus 5 lol.

Drifters

I'm returning my Moto X for a Galaxy S5 :( Moto X hardware is awesome but the camera sucks, battery is weak and the AMOLED display is "last gen" AMOLED.

I'm importing the South Korean S5, so I'm getting the QuadHD AMOLED panel and 805 CPU/420 GPU. Also removable storage.

I'm not shocked.. Nexus 4 owner here. Its what we've come to expect.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As a nexus 5 owner I miss my OLED screen on the Gnex. OLED is my favorite

Good oled is legit. Problem is most of the time they fuck it up either cause it's pentile or just bad color calibration. If only everything could have the Note 4 display.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

But it doesn't really, does it? From what I've read they're just soak testing it now, the official update isn't out yet. So we don't know which of these phones will actually get the update first. Or am I wrong?

I could understand oled in general. But the Galaxy Nexus screen is garbage and it has always been.

Yep. The N5 screen is much better (except for black levels, obviously), even though it's an LCD.

But it doesn't really, does it? From what I've read they're just soak testing it now, the official update isn't out yet. So we don't know which of these phones will actually get the update first. Or am I wrong?

You are correct. If all goes well, then the official release will be 1-2 days from now which still seems faster than Google.

Price. And the all too famous true Android experience so many people seem to quote here.
I ask myself the same question these days, honestly.
I mostly cared about stock Android, because I thought I'd get quick and timely updates or in this case 5.0 asap. Seriously, lollipop was the reason I bought the N5.

Isn't kik kat the reason you bought a GN too.

Brot, don't trust google.

No, I bought the Galaxy Nexus, because after 18 months of Windows Phone I wanted to know what Android is like and 4.1 just came out, so I figured it would be a good time to jump in.

I still regret buying that phone, though. The display was shit and it definitely had performance issues after 4.2.

RedFyn

You're right. People are just frustrated because reasons. Somehow people are counting this as the release when it basically just an update to what the n5 has had for a while. Until lollipop is officially released anyone complaining or bashing google/nexus is just doing so out of frustration or ignorance. Sometimes it's hard to tell which though.

Drifters

You're right. People are just frustrated because reasons. Somehow people are counting this as the release when it basically just an update to what the n5 has had for a while. Until lollipop is officially released anyone complaining or bashing google/nexus is just doing so out of frustration or ignorance. Sometimes it's hard to tell which though.
Let's pretend that Google is Apple.... If Apple promised iOS 8.2 on Nov 3 and then did what they doing now... What would the Verge being to them Right now?

kehs

Banned
No, I bought the Galaxy Nexus, because after 18 months of Windows Phone I wanted to know what Android is like and 4.1 just came out, so I figured it would be a good time to jump in.

I still regret buying that phone, though. The display was shit and it definitely had performance issues after 4.2.

Google phones are pretty shit huh?

Google phones are pretty shit huh?

Well, not really? I'm sure the N4 was okay, but it hated the design and aside from the battery and the camera, I'm really happy with the Nexus 5. I was just hoping to get 5.0 way sooner. They announced it in the summer and it's almost Christmas. I'm just really fucking impatient when it comes to stuff like this.

Drifters

Well, not really? I'm sure the N4 was okay, but it hated the design and aside from the battery and the camera, I'm really happy with the Nexus 5. I was just hoping to get 5.0 way sooner. They announced it in the summer and it's almost Christmas. I'm just really fucking impatient when it comes to stuff like this.
You've already decided to go back to WP don't fight it.

kehs

Banned

N4 was the best physically designed phone.

I can empathize with your frustration. But Google doesn't care about end users. Point blank.

You've already decided to go back to WP don't fight it.

That's going to be hard. There are no good high-end Windows phones I could grab for cheap in a year. The 930 sucks and the 830 is a low class device with Moto G specs.

N4 was the best physically designed phone.

I can empathize with your frustration. But Google doesn't care about end users. Point blank.

I didn't like the glittery glass back. And while Google might not care about end users, I had the feeling that they handled the Nexus line better in the past. From announcements, to updates and communication. It's all a bit weird.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So because I love the HTC one m8 hardware and software so much, I decided to get one of those Sony attachable lens-only cameras to fix the one glaring problem with the M8. Big mistake, because as we all know, Sony simply can't get software right. So while the pictures I took were way better than anything you can take with a smartphone outside of the 1020, the software lagged. Plus there was very little control over options on taking the photos and the pairing process was a pain, half the time NFC didn't work. I know the reviews all mentioned these things, but sometimes those are biased and wrong. Not this time.

Talon

Had a good chat with someone that works at Google, and all of our questions about Google's launches make sense when you understand that Product Marketing is the very last link in the chain of the product release life cycle there.

Product Marketing /= Marketing for those that aren't familiar with tech companies and how they work. It's more a partnership with Product that makes sure that the intended audience - e.g. users - get a clear message of how, why, and what the product fits into their lives, as opposed to Marketing which is a hellhole of shit.

RedFyn

Let's pretend that Google is Apple.... If Apple promised iOS 8.2 on Nov 3 and then did what they doing now... What would the Verge being to them Right now?
Let's pretend that Google is Apple... If Apple promised ioS 8.2 in the coming weeks and then never gave an exact date whilst continuing to publicly reveal major bugs they're working on... What would the Verge (lol) being to them Right now?

Hasney

Let's pretend that Google is Apple... If Apple promised ioS 8.2 in the coming weeks and then never gave an exact date whilst continuing to publicly reveal major bugs they're working on... What would the Verge (lol) being to them Right now?

Apple probably would have released on time... But with the major bug in place.

RedFyn

Apple probably would have released on time... But with the major bug in place.
They would never do that...

My biggest issue with the post I responded to is that they never actually gave a release date. How drifters got a solid release date out of "in the coming weeks" I don't know.

google didnt promise shit for the nexus 5 getting lollipop on the 3rd

they said it would be released on the 3rd and it was (for the nexus 9 and player)

there was a terrible wifi draining bug anyway so you wouldnt have wanted it on the 3rd

ajpw

google didnt promise shit for the nexus 5 getting lollipop on the 3rd

they said it would be released on the 3rd and it was (for the nexus 9 and player)

there was a terrible wifi draining bug anyway so you wouldnt have wanted it on the 3rd

Drifters

They would never do that...

My biggest issue with the post I responded to is that they never actually gave a release date. How drifters got a solid release date out of "in the coming weeks" I don't know.

I've been around the merry go round a few times. We know that a few weeks means the feature phones (Nexus 6) will get released to carriers.... That is Googles soak test for Lolli and once all major bugs are found then we'll get 5.0.1 for just the nexus 6 and then finally Google will release AOSP code for 5.0.2 which will be build LXTDGDWTF for all major Nexus legacy devices which will start getting the OTA around Christmas time.

Mark my fucking words.

yyzjohn

Banned
I've been around the merry go round a few times. We know that a few weeks means the feature phones (Nexus 6) will get released to carriers.... That is Googles soak test for Lolli and once all major bugs are found then we'll get 5.0.1 for just the nexus 6 and then finally Google will release AOSP code for 5.0.2 which will be build LXTDGDWTF for all major Nexus legacy devices which will start getting the OTA around Christmas time.

Mark my fucking words.

You don't think we'll get Lollipop on Nexus 5 until Christmas? Come on man, that's a bit cynical.

RedFyn

Mark my fucking words.
Maybe a few too many. You seriously don't think the nexus 5 will have an official lollipop release before Christmas time? More than a month after the n6 release?

Drifters

You don't think we'll get Lollipop on Nexus 5 until Christmas? Come on man, that's a bit cynical.
Nope. Think about. Today is the 8th. If the N6 comes out (truly) on Tmo on the 12th, maybe other carriers that day but most likely the 18/19th to get them in before Thanksgiving; then soak test those mother f'ERS to make sure no further show stoppers... They'll find at least 2 bugs... And then.... No OTAs for Nexus legacy products until or near Christmas. Its going to happen most just can't except it.

Quixzlizx

Why would all of you want buggy code before it's been completely baked? This is a different situation from an OEM/carrier who's just too lazy/incompetent to update to already released code.

Drifters

Maybe a few too many. You seriously don't think the nexus 5 will have an official lollipop release before Christmas time? More than a month after the n6 release?
Correct. What is the point of a feature phone that doesn't have some sort of time exclusivity like the N9. The N5 is not a high priority for Google.

I'd say it's realistic.
Thank you.
What if N4 gets it before N5?
That'd make me happy but the N4 is the last device Google cares about.
Why would all of you want buggy code before it's been completely baked? This is a different situation from an OEM/carrier who's just too lazy/incompetent to update to already released code.
Umm... Really? Kit Kat was the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom