• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajpw

While its true that google does tend to favour new devices when it comes to getting the new releases quickly, I do believe images will come in the next week or so for the nexus 5

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, not really? I'm sure the N4 was okay, but it hated the design and aside from the battery and the camera, I'm really happy with the Nexus 5. I was just hoping to get 5.0 way sooner. They announced it in the summer and it's almost Christmas. I'm just really fucking impatient when it comes to stuff like this.
I love the N5 as well. Waiting those couple weeks is a bummer but we have an awesome new major update coming our way. Stock Ansroid or bust from here on out for me.

Fuck man going from my OPO > G3 > HTC One M7 is making me miss one handed use on my phones. The OPO is just way too big now that I am going back to my HTC One. Miss that shit so much. Even the G3 with a big screen is like the extent of one handed use. I have to shimmy my hand every time to use my OPO and I think I am tired of it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Nope. Think about. Today is the 8th. If the N6 comes out (truly) on Tmo on the 12th, maybe other carriers that day but most likely the 18/19th to get them in before Thanksgiving; then soak test those mother f'ERS to make sure no further show stoppers... They'll find at least 2 bugs... And then.... No OTAs for Nexus legacy products until or near Christmas. Its going to happen most just can't except it.

Last year the Nexus 4 got KitKat in November a few weeks after the Nexus 5

RedFyn

Correct. What is the point of a feature phone that doesn't have some sort of time exclusivity like the N9.
I don't think they've withheld lollipop from the nexus 7 because of a timed exclusivity. I think it's because the software wasn't finished but they couldn't release the nexus 9 with kit Kat. Now, that does play into your belief that they'll continue to test it on the n6 before releasing it to the rest of the nexus line however I think it's stable enough now that they've fixed the miscellaneous bug to release it for the rest of the devices soon.

Quixzlizx

On what? Does everyone go through a PES like cycle of forgetting his Google always shits the bed with their software updates?

I'm saying I'd rather have a delayed release than a buggy release. If you're saying that KitKat was delayed, I don't see what the problem is. If you're saying that KitKat was buggy, then you should be agreeing with me.

As a n4 owner, I'm just not going to get aggravated until I start seeing OEM phones with 5.0 before I get it.

Drifters

I'm saying I'd rather have a delayed release than a buggy release. If you're saying that KitKat was delayed, I don't see what the problem is. If you're saying that KitKat was buggy, then you should be agreeing with me.

As a n4 owner, I'm just not going to get aggravated until I start seeing OEM phones with 5.0 before I get it.

My point isn't that Lollipop won't be delayed... We already know it is and will be. My point is people in this thread thinking that Lollipop is somehow going to change the way Google does business with regards to updates.

So now we've got Moto and LG... I'm guessing come Monday Samsung will announce the S4 onward getting Lolli right?

RedFyn

My point isn't that Lollipop won't be delayed... We already know it is and will be. My point is people in this thread thinking that Lollipop is somehow going to change the way Google does business with regards to updates.

So now we've got Moto and LG... I'm guessing come Monday Samsung will announce the S4 onward getting Lolli right?
They already have

Toki767

Lol. Man. If Osiris were still around, he'd be eating so much crow right now.

Not really a fan of LG's take on Lollipop, although I think it'll probably be closer to stock on the G4 and they only did it this way to not confuse G3 owners, but the animations seem to have made it over.

jtinxr.gif
cythwk.gif

Samsung and LG both have ugly ass lollipop designs. Kind of kills the aesthetic. Samsung especially but ew at LGs also.

Motorola really is the only option these days outside of nexus/one plus. Shame.

Avixph

Samsung and LG both have ugly ass lollipop designs. Kind of kills the aesthetic. Samsung especially but ew at LGs also.

Motorola really is the only option these days outside of nexus/one plus. Shame.

Samsung is probably going to show their real take on Lollipop with their Galaxy S6 (for better or for worst).

Not really a fan of LG's take on Lollipop, although I think it'll probably be closer to stock on the G4 and they only did it this way to not confuse G3 owners, but the animations seem to have made it over.

jtinxr.gif
cythwk.gif

I posted yesterday, that looks terrible, and it's not being ota'd by a bloatifying carrier yet.

Eating zero crow.

However, Posts like this show that it is good to spend less time in this thread.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Don't see what's so bad about it unless you're a stock snob, which in that case you wouldn't have an LG phone in the first place.

LG's skinning at least added quite a number of useful things (that L copied...). Personally more interested to see what features LG will come up with Material design.

Sch1sm

However, Posts like this show that it is good to spend less time in this thread.

:lol

If you hadn't made so large a scene on your exit no one would make any comments, that's just my opinion on it. But hey! Don't let that stop you from a) helping people with their issues on Android in this thread if you have the solution
or an alternate/better one
b) offering your opinion [spoiled]when well formed, researched and found/proven by a multitude of sources[/spoiler] on Android L, Kit Kat, android devices, the like, and c) showing face. We aren't children here, no one's out to take your lunch money. You just went for the throat with the wrong person and got torn a new one. Cross the bridge, burn it, move on.

NotBacon

Lollipop running on GS4 (not sure if already posted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8qD_h6iL1g

Touchwized....

I'm legitimately impressed. It's still using some ugly ass colors, and still is miles behind a Nexus, but it's a step in the right direction.

jtinxr.gif
cythwk.gif

Holy shit LG didn't even try. It actually looks worse than KK wtf.

I want to vomit looking at how much of a clusterfuck that looks like. Add in carrier bloatware and this unintuitive shit is the definition of "dude Android sucks I'm going back to iPhone"

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seriously though, other than notifications not matching well with the quick access settings, lol at people saying they want to vomit from seeing it. Same accordion notifications on L, same multi window style as L.

Toki767

Only thing G3's take on L doesn't do is it's one swipe for notifications + toggles vs 2 on standard L. I much prefer 1 swipe.

They added a close all button on the recents menu which is useful.

Only real complaint is like Sony, they stick to the old software button icons.

:lol

If you hadn't made so large a scene on your exit no one would make any comments, that's just my opinion on it. But hey! Don't let that stop you from a) helping people with their issues on Android in this thread if you have the solution
or an altetnate/better one
b) offering your opinion [spoiled]when well formed, researched and found/proven by a multitude of sources[/spoiler] on Android L, Kit Kat, android devices, the like, and c) showing face. We aren't children here, no one's out to take your lunch money. You just went for the throat with the wrong person and got torn a new one. Cross the bridge, burn it, move on.

I'm a software engineer that focuses heavily on good ui and is why im big on vanilla android. This forum does not like that apparently because everytime I mention it I get persecuted. Just like the last time where I gave an opinion and got jumped all over. If people threw a fit every time you spoke your mind about something you were pationate about you would tell them to get fucked as well.

It's like if u are a junior member u aren't allowed to stand up for yourselves or give your owns jabs. Or even though i used to be a huge gamer something is up because i dont post in the other threads. I've pretty much gotten heat from vanillaidiot ever since I called him out for giving me uninformed ATT advice and then it just got worse from there.

This is an online forum and some of you act like your in a high school click together. Get over yourselves, spend that energy developing relationships in your real lives.

zbeeb

Something to remember is that the software experience has to be consistent for existing users. I think you'll find more cohesive lollipop software from all the major brands in their next models.

Despite how ugly WizPop and LGpop are, it's nice to see how much faster OEMs are getting with updates. KitKat was when it started getting better, and now with Lollipop, it really seems like things are getting kicked into high gear.

----

Also, for those of you running Lollipop, can you still long press on the music controls on the lock screen and seek through a song like in KitKat? Please say you can!

Edit: Example of what I mean:

nexusae0_image36.png

Sch1sm

This is an online forum and some of you act like your in a high school click together. Get over yourselves, spend that energy developing relationships in your real lives.

tumblr_mdidzswldv1rj2fv6o1_500.gif

Osiris, build a bridge, get over it, and burn it. It'll make you happier.

Anyway!
Has anyone actually noticed battery life improvements with their N5 on the L preview? I'm thinking mine's become drastically worse. Never used to have to carry a charger around with me and now I hardly leave the house with it.

Drifters

I'm a software engineer that focuses heavily on good ui and is why im big on vanilla android. This forum does not like that apparently because everytime I mention it I get persecuted. Just like the last time where I gave an opinion and got jumped all over. If people threw a fit every time you spoke your mind about something you were pationate about you would tell them to get fucked as well.

It's like if u are a junior member u aren't allowed to stand up for yourselves or give your owns jabs. Or even though i used to be a huge gamer something is up because i dont post in the other threads. I've pretty much gotten heat from vanillaidiot ever since I called him out for giving me uninformed ATT advice and then it just got worse from there.

Hey man... I like you.

TheRook

I have a Nexus 5 but I'm not confident to root my phone which is why I'm patiently waiting for the 5.0 update. I can see alot of users being borderline pissed off by it not being out by now.

I'm not sure really what to make of it though. Is it because they expected it to be out now? or is there something i'm missing from this equation? Either way, it's gotten pretty bad, not just here but places like XDA developers, insert android community site here, and so on.

Also of people I see make comparisons to iOS's launch of iOS8 and how that had some bugs with it's launch. While me personally I didn't experience anything with my ipad mini 2, there were alot of real issues with the update. Which is another thing I find weird since iOS8 didn't seem like much of a jump in comparison to Android L. The whole Material Design logic alone makes things seem new and fresh, let alone all the new stock features that make the phone that much more interesting to use.

I will have to wait until Google releases 5.0 OTA and if it comes out without any bugs, the better the user experience will be. I honestly don't really mind waiting, the Moto X or LG G3 getting it before me doesn't really effect me, it's more like "so what?" to me.

I'm sure there aren't alot of people who agree with this notion since by having a Nexus you "should" have any google update before anyone else, but I think that maybe some form of "entitlement"...and I kinda don't want to open that can of worms. Whatever the case maybe, we won't have it officially until it's ready...and since Google has been pretty tight lipped about the release of this update...people been checking android related news all day everyday since the 3rd to see if the update is live.

Anyways, I wanted to ask. What are the first few things you'll do with 5.0 Lollipop GAF?

RedFyn

Can't unseen the millennium puzzle.

I'm not sure really what to make of it though. Is it because they expected it to be out now? I honestly don't really mind waiting, the Moto X or LG G3 getting it before me doesn't really effect me, it's more like "so what?" to me.
There seem to be four main reasons. People expected it to be out by now, Google hasn't said anything, they've been checking everyday, and on top of it all other companies are announcing their plans. We have no idea if motorola or lg are going to beat google to the punch. It's all just speculation but it seems to be driving everyone crazy.

Well, Sony's software buttons can be themed to look stock, so it's not all that bad on that front.

I'd say the more frustrating things for Sony is when their own UI sensibilities clash with Google's, like Sony's bar loading animation.

dc89

Woke up this morning to see my Z3 telling me there was an Android Update available. "The newest version of Android is now available" or something like that. I thought Christmas had come early but nope, just a mundane update.

Groof

Really cool that LG is stepping up its update game, but it makes sense when barely anything seems changed. The notification drawer looks aright I guess but that multitask view... Hooboy. What a useability nightmare with the huge bar at the bottom and the vertically scrolling list.

Eager to see the rest of it and Sony's and HTC's takes.

Toki767

Really cool that LG is stepping up its update game, but it makes sense when barely anything seems changed. The notification drawer looks aright I guess but that multitask view... Hooboy. What a useability nightmare with the huge bar at the bottom and the vertically scrolling list.

I can't quite make out what the first bar on the bottom is on their multiasking view. It looks like shortcuts to LG apps?

Groof

I can't quite make out what the first bar on the bottom is on their multiasking view. It looks like shortcuts to LG apps?

I think carrier models have that, it's shortcuts to bloat apps. The international version only has the bottom bar. I think.

rossonero

We'll just have to hope that LG's L can be rooted and that Xposed on ART is possible someday in the future so that we can customize all that. My G3 is basically exactly how I want it thanks to G3Tweaksbox and Xhalofloatingwindow.

kehs

Banned
Despite how ugly WizPop and LGpop are, it's nice to see how much faster OEMs are getting with updates. KitKat was when it started getting better, and now with Lollipop, it really seems like things are getting kicked into high gear.

----

Also, for those of you running Lollipop, can you still long press on the music controls on the lock screen and seek through a song like in KitKat? Please say you can!

Edit: Example of what I mean:

nexusae0_image36.png

The lock screen media controls are gone in lollipop. Music controls will come from the notifications.

yyzjohn

Banned
I love how upset people get cause Lollipop isn't rolled out to older Nexus yet. Like they need the new OS because their phones have suddenly stopped working and Lollipop will revive them.

Aww c'mon Osiris, it's all fun and games. There's no need to get uptight. I salute you for being an engineer since I'm currently going to school to be one.

We all like Android in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom