• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
I'm a software engineer that focuses heavily on good ui and is why im big on vanilla android. This forum does not like that apparently because everytime I mention it I get persecuted. Just like the last time where I gave an opinion and got jumped all over. If people threw a fit every time you spoke your mind about something you were pationate about you would tell them to get fucked as well.

It's like if u are a junior member u aren't allowed to stand up for yourselves or give your owns jabs. Or even though i used to be a huge gamer something is up because i dont post in the other threads. I've pretty much gotten heat from vanillaidiot ever since I called him out for giving me uninformed ATT advice and then it just got worse from there.

This is an online forum and some of you act like your in a high school click together. Get over yourselves, spend that energy developing relationships in your real lives.

I still love you osiris, even if you think aosp is good. just ask mturco and andrex.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been around the merry go round a few times. We know that a few weeks means the feature phones (Nexus 6) will get released to carriers.... That is Googles soak test for Lolli and once all major bugs are found then we'll get 5.0.1 for just the nexus 6 and then finally Google will release AOSP code for 5.0.2 which will be build LXTDGDWTF for all major Nexus legacy devices which will start getting the OTA around Christmas time.

Mark my fucking words.

Eh, the N4 got the KK update about two weeks after the N5 was launched. So you're being a TINY BIT cynical here, I think.

I have a Nexus 5 but I'm not confident to root my phone which is why I'm patiently waiting for the 5.0 update. I can see alot of users being borderline pissed off by it not being out by now.

You don't have to root your phone to be able to flash ROMs (such as the 5.0 preview) on a Nexus, if that's what you're thinking. All you have to do is unlock the bootloader, which is done with a simple fastboot command. Doing this wipes your user data (for security reasons), but then you're good to go.

The lock screen media controls are gone in lollipop. Music controls will come from the notifications.

I know that's how it is in the preview, but is it like that in the final release as well? That's a shame if so, it's definitely not as nice as in KK.

And one unimaginably stupid thing is that if you enable the global setting for hiding sensitive lock screen notification content (which hides it for EVERYTHING), you can't use the playback controls either. So I had to allow sensitive content globally, and then go into the notification settings for each app that's actually sensitive and set them accordingly (you can't do it the other way around, i.e. hide sensitive content globally and then whitelist certain apps). It works fine once you understand it, but I can't believe it's meant to be this way. Weren't devs supposed to set their notifications as sensitive or not? That doesn't seem to be in yet, it's all controlled by the user (which should still also be possible, of course).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else a current Nexus 5 owner whose looking at alternatives since the Nexus 6 reveal?

I was going to continue with the Nexus line, but the Nexus 6 is too expensive and more importantly, too big for my liking. I'm considering other options like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Moto X 2014, though I might just wait until 2015 before deciding on what phone to buy next.

It's unfortunate because I really loved my Nexus 5, it was almost the perfect phone minus the camera and battery.

Anyone else a current Nexus 5 owner whose looking at alternatives since the Nexus 6 reveal?

I was going to continue with the Nexus line, but the Nexus 6 is too expensive and more importantly, too big for my liking. I'm considering other options like the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Moto X 2014, though I might just wait until 2015 before deciding on what phone to buy next.

It's unfortunate because I really loved my Nexus 5, it was almost the perfect phone minus the camera and battery.

Z3 compact. I'm done with big phones. 1 handed usability is impossible.

Sch1sm

:( You're supposed to be the bearer of good news!

Good news is now that it's a notification those poor people who hate lock screen album art can block the notification and it won't show up. Of course they won't be able to skip songs or pause from notifications/lock screen but hey. A start.

Groof

Who cares? Just get 5.0 and the software stuff, then put on Nova. Just be glad they're getting the update out this quick.

I'm not saying it's bad they're getting it out this quick, just that in comparison to how much thought went into stock 5.0 it's a let down.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How are we supposed to judge when the screens are mostly showing the settings menu? Of course the settings menu is going to remain fairly static.

In fact I'm not going surprised at all if the design of LG's skin remains static bar a few tweaks to show that it's on L, but those screenshots don't really show much.

We know that notifications is still going to have LG's big ass quick access settings and volume/brightness controls without L's smooth animations to reveal those same controls.

edit: hmm, is that showing that the app dock is now on the lock screen? That would be super useful actually.

Honestly I'm going to hold off judging the lg update until I can see it in action. A lot of L's changes seem to center around the use of animation to convey the design language and smart use of stuff like stacked carousels to make better use of screen space. Hard to judge with static images.

I love how upset people get cause Lollipop isn't rolled out to older Nexus yet. Like they need the new OS because their phones have suddenly stopped working and Lollipop will revive them.

Stock Android 4.4 looks like shit compared to 5.0. Absolute shit. Of course most people would want to upgrade from that.

Good news is now that it's a notification those poor people who hate lock screen album art can block the notification and it won't show up. Of course they won't be able to skip songs or pause from notifications/lock screen but hey. A start.
Yeah, I guess, Jesus. I guess. Lock screen music haters ruining it for everyone; but let me turn the other cheek.

Drifters

Eh, the N4 got the KK update about two weeks after the N5 was launched. So you're being a TINY BIT cynical here, I think.

You don't have to root your phone to be able to flash ROMs (such as the 5.0 preview) on a Nexus, if that's what you're thinking. All you have to do is unlock the bootloader, which is done with a simple fastboot command. Doing this wipes your user data (for security reasons), but then you're good to go.

I know that's how it is in the preview, but is it like that in the final release as well? That's a shame if so, it's definitely not as nice as in KK.

And one unimaginably stupid thing is that if you enable the global setting for hiding sensitive lock screen notification content (which hides it for EVERYTHING), you can't use the playback controls either. So I had to allow sensitive content globally, and then go into the notification settings for each app that's actually sensitive and set them accordingly (you can't do it the other way around, i.e. hide sensitive content globally and then whitelist certain apps). It works fine once you understand it, but I can't believe it's meant to be this way. Weren't devs supposed to set their notifications as sensitive or not? That doesn't seem to be in yet, it's all controlled by the user (which should still also be possible, of course).

Except this is a version release not a point release. Keep that in mind.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This launch is the best one Google has done. We get a usable preview months in advance. Because of it, the final release will be less buggy and OEMs will update faster. How Google bungled anything this time around is beyond me. Maybe because I had a Nexus One while you were all still using Moto Razrs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This launch is the best one Google has done. We get a usable preview months in advance. Because of it, the final release will be less buggy and OEMs will update faster. How Google bungled anything this time around is beyond me. Maybe because I had a Nexus One while you were all still using Moto Razrs.

Just because it's better doesn't mean it is good.

Toki767

Yeah the whole point of the L preview was so that OEMs had time to plan on advance and clearly it worked. I actually consider it a success if all of them get L out within 90 days. They've had 6 months to do it.

Bitch I had a N1 and an iPhone.

mturco

Just because it's better doesn't mean it is good.

To be fair, though, Apple botched their launch even worse. Half of the iOS 8 features weren't usable until Yosemite came out weeks later and then there's the 8.0.1 debacle.

In comparison, Google has only delayed Lollipop for its Nexus devices by a week so far. That's it.

The Nexus 6 and 9 launches are a different story of course.

Mindwipe

Fenix hasn't hit it's token limit.

Nor has Plume.

Talon only hit it last week, and there is a new Lollipop version that hasn't.

I would say Plume or the new Talon once the 5.0 update happens.

mturco

Can someone explain this token shit to me? I don't use twitter.

Every Twitter app is only allowed a limited amount of tokens (each user uses a token). After the limit is hit, the app is basically done unless they re-release it (like Talon).

Edit: Just to clarify - Twitter imposes the token limit.

dc89

Can someone explain this token shit to me? I don't use twitter.

My understanding of the matter is a Twitter client can only have so many people using it basically. Once it has hit the token limit - no one else can use the app as it won't authorise/sign in to Twitter.

Could be wrong.

Quasar

My understanding of the matter is a Twitter client can only have so many people using it basically. Once it has hit the token limit - no one else can use the app as it won't authorise/sign in to Twitter.

Could be wrong.

Yeah. It's twitters way of trying to kill third party clients.

Every Twitter app is only allowed a limited amount of tokens (each user uses a token). After the limit is hit, the app is basically done unless they re-release it (like Talon).

Edit: Just to clarify - Twitter imposes the token limit.

So if they re-release it, then the people who had tokens have to get another token?

Toki767

Looks like the G3's multitasking view for L doesn't have that second bar after all (or maybe you can disable it)

hxs4VmY.jpg

NotBacon

I really don't see what's so bad about LG's take on Lollipop.

Clusterfuck is probably the best way of putting it. They just threw in some MD elements and thought 'fuck it, looks good enough. Who cares about that whole intuitive part of MD...'

I salute you for being an engineer since I'm currently going to school to be one.

Turn back now

Z3 compact. I'm done with big phones. 1 handed usability is impossible.

Voice controls babe

malyce

All the 5.0 OEM skins I've seen so far fucking sucks, and that's not gonna change anytime soon. The better stock android gets the more the OEMs are gonna fuck it up.

Toki767

All the 5.0 OEM skins I've seen so far fucking sucks, and that's not gonna change anytime soon. The better stock android gets the more the OEMs are gonna fuck it up.

I think we'll start seeing it happen with next year's flagships. So far it seems the only reason most OEMs are getting 5.0 out as fast as they are is because they are taking everything 5.0 gives except for completely overhauling the UI. So all the animations and under the hood elements are in which is the important part. I doubt we're going to see most go completely stock, but every year they seem to change their UI to slowly but steadily go more towards stock.

Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung or LG's UI for the S6/G4 next year is completely Material Design in nature, but still not looking like AOSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom