• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

OEMs are always holding back when they update their older phones. They want their next flagship to have that extra bullet point or selling feature, if only for a limited time before backporting it.

malyce

I think we'll start seeing it happen with next year's flagships. So far it seems the only reason most OEMs are getting 5.0 out as fast as they are is because they are taking everything 5.0 gives except for completely overhauling the UI. So all the animations and under the hood elements are in which is the important part. I doubt we're going to see most go completely stock, but every year they seem to change their UI to slowly but steadily go more towards stock.

Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung or LG's UI for the S6/G4 next year is completely Material Design in nature, but still not looking like AOSP.

Nope.

I just want the OEMs to use the solid white status bar icons without the separated bars when they update to lollipop. Something so insignificant can make a big difference in the looks department, and LG has the worst looking status bar symbols.

Toki767

I just want the OEMs to use the solid white status bar icons without the separated bars when they update to lollipop. Something so insignificant can make a big difference in the looks department, and LG has the worst looking status bar symbols.

Who's still using non-white status bar icons? Samsung?

Who's still using non-white status bar icons? Samsung?
No, I mean lollipop style icons where there are no lines/separators.

KitKat:

unlock-android-ls-hidden-battery-percentage-icon-status-bar.w654.jpg

Lollipop:

rToLuG9v6n25Fpf-ooDndaiFUYDvYBpDUhDE4JHwVO4CX2ldsmAUQkPIxRBiwsT3NKyOD7ZUZm3zPpAGVRHQiLQzIAz5IzNjJVfSJ4E3tOqOWUo4Fq8FCLmeGURzA7v3okXr0wRLbhpHhR4adif7oB8HQrs=w628-h331-nc

Like I said, it's an insignificant thing that won't matter to most people, but I think it looks much better than the old style.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The g3 uses solid white icons though.

What do you mean by separate bars? Do you mean the signal strength icon?

Edit: guess you meant the WiFi and signal strength icons.

The g3 uses solid white icons though.

What do you mean by separate bars? Do you mean the signal strength icon?

Edit: guess you meant the WiFi and signal strength icons.
Yeah.

Same here. Wasn't one of the things that jumped at me when I flashed the dev preview onto my N5. People have peculiar troubles when it comes to Android.

Lol I never ever even noticed that. Not even remotely an important concern for me.
It's not important to me either, I just think it looks much nicer.

Mindwipe

BTW, something I figured out yesterday - the fact that you can't do voice commands on a locked phone in any language other than US english is ****ing ludicrous. UK english has a language pack. It should work.

Except those aren't the new status icons. These are:
Eh, they both still show the same thing I'm referring to. The final version being less spaced out and a tad bigger doesn't matter.

----

Moving on from that topic, I'm really interested in seeing what Sony's lollipop update looks like.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If the G3 gets Lollipop before my N5 I'm gonna be a little annoyed with Google, I'll admit. Sure, LG's version looks pretty awful next to stock, and the preview I'm currently running works just about flawlessly, but still. Google should be able to make sure their own phones are the first to get every new update, and them seemingly delaying the update for the N4/N5 because they want the N6 out first (if that is what's going on) is really shitty.

GOOGLE EXEC: Here's Why Android Just Went Through Its Biggest Change Yet

Within the next several months, your Android phone is about to drastically change.

Google, along with its partners and carriers, is in the process of rolling out its biggest Android update yet, called 5.0 Lollipop. The update is meant to make your Android phone look and feel different thanks to an interface overhaul known as Material Design.

But Material Design is more than just an Android facelift. It's part of Google's strategy to make all devices that run its software feel similar. If the company made anything explicity clear at its recent launch event for its new Nexus devices, it's that Android is going to be everywhere soon enough: on our wrists, on our TV screens, and of course, in our pockets.

Although Lollipop has only launched on a small number of Android devices, it's been in the making for years. Android's Vice President of Engineering Hiroshi Lockheimer, who has been with the Android team since 2006, sat down with Business Insider to talk about how Google prepared for its biggest Android update yet and what's next.

Below is an edited transcript of our conversation.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So why do I have a feeling given the leaked info from Android Police that N6 on carriers is gonna be as big of a cluster fuck as it has been trying to buy from Google or Moto. Fucking none of the stores are gonna have that shit, and online gonna sell out in like 2 mins.

Shit gonna be rough sledding till 2015 I'm afraid.

So why do I have a feeling given the leaked info from Android Police that N6 on carriers is gonna be as big of a cluster fuck as it has been trying to buy from Google or Moto. Fucking none of the stores are gonna have that shit, and online gonna sell out in like 2 mins.

nexus 7, or 6.5 or whatever is going to be out soon anyway. Might as well wait.

Vanillalite

nexus 7, or 6.5 or whatever is going to be out soon anyway. Might as well wait.

Not sure if serious or joking, but it will be interesting to see how this phone does if stock is hard to come by and launch hype dies down with the price tag. Plus if you can't get one till 2015 will people wait for 2015 flagships even if it isn't stock Android/Nexus device.

Not sure if serious or joking, but it will be interesting to see how this phone does if stock is hard to come by and launch hype dies down with the price tag. Plus if you can't get one till 2015 will people wait for 2015 flagships even if it isn't stock Android/Nexus device.
if this phone sells less than the nexus 5 or something then it is completely google's fault for thinking this strategy would work. Either way I feel like nexus devices are going to be something that MUST continue or else google risks looking stupid. They'd show off a version of android every year that literally no one will see.

except moto owners

GtwoK

I'm in need of a new phone, my M7's been crapping out on me for a while now (damn you, purple camera). I'm buying off-contract. I've been eyeing either the Z3/Z3C or the 64GB OnePlus One. Being in Canada, the Moto X isn't an option. Anyone have any advice?

The OPO is very cheap (before customs, at least), and has plenty of storage space, but I'm not sure on the quality of the camera, and the screen size seems like it would be too big for me, coming from an M7.

The Z3/Z3C are nice, have a fantastic camera, and have expandable storage. But they're almost twice the cost, and are pretty far from stock Android. Also the Z3c is only 720p which is slightly disappointing.

GAF. What do.

Side note: first post after being a lurker for 6+ years, gahd damn

I'm in need of a new phone, my M7's been crapping out on me for a while now (damn you, purple camera). I'm buying off-contract. I've been eyeing either the Z3/Z3C or the 64GB OnePlus One. Being in Canada, the Moto X isn't an option. Anyone have any advice?

The OPO is very cheap (before customs, at least), and has plenty of storage space, but I'm not sure on the quality of the camera, and the screen size seems like it would be too big for me, coming from an M7.

The Z3/Z3C are nice, have a fantastic camera, and have expandable storage. But they're almost twice the cost, and are pretty far from stock Android. Also the Z3c is only 720p which is slightly disappointing.

GAF. What do.
moto x. It's a good enough phone and you'll be supporting the lesser of all evils.

Vanillalite

Is the Nexus 5 an option for you in Canada or no? Might be a safer option if you have reservations about the One Plus, and it would be cheaper than the Sony stuff.

I'm about to buy a Moto X and be done with this nonsense. I would save money and get access to Lollipop.
I'll give Google an extra week

GtwoK

moto x. It's a good enough phone and you'll be supporting the lesser of all evils.

Can't get the moto x off contract here unfortunately :(. Also from what I've heard, the camera is garbage, no? A good camera is pretty essential for me.

Is the Nexus 5 an option for you in Canada or no? Might be a safer option if you have reservations about the One Plus, and it would be cheaper than the Sony stuff.

Nexus 5 is an option, but the camera is terrible on it. Also I'm kind hoping for more than 32GB if possible.

Vanillalite

Can't get the moto x off contract here unfortunately :(. Also from what I've heard, the camera is garbage, no? A good camera is pretty essential for me.

Nexus 5 is an option, but the camera is terrible on it. Also I'm kind hoping for more than 32GB if possible.

Aren't you coming from an M7 tho? That isn't exactly a camera winner! Lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 might be the best selling Nexus device ever. It's the carrier push that's huge. We'll see. I kind of hope it bombs.

Toki767

Nexus 6 might be the best selling Nexus device ever. It's the carrier push that's huge. We'll see. I kind of hope it bombs.

That'll be a nightmare if it is. I don't want 6" phones next year. Even though I kind of figure Samsung and LG are already moving towards them for their flagships.

NotBacon

Why? Did you get on the path and said screw it the reward isn't worth it? If so, what do you recommend I go for (It has to have decent pay)?

Professional wine tasting.

Jk no, i'm actually an employed SE, and I love it, but just realize the road is very very rocky. Nothing like being cooped up at home cramming while other majors are out having a social life...

I'm about to buy a Moto X and be done with this nonsense. I would save money and get access to Lollipop.
I'll give Google an extra week

People need to realize that any camera (that isn't defective) in a flagship will more than suffice for the average person. Decide for yourself by looking at sample pics in reviews:
http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-review-2014
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/19/moto-x-review-2nd-generation/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/6121143/motorola-moto-x-2014-new-review
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/moto-x-review-2014/

NotBacon

Yeah if Google can nail this launch, and we see a Nexus 6 in every carrier kiosk, it could be huge
lol
. The average passerby will definitely be interested after holding it in their hand, after the initial put-off of being huge and not being a Galaxy.

PriitV

Living in a country where the 2 year contracts are not the norm I can tell you right now that the nexus is going to bomb. Currently everyone here have bought themselves a nexus 5 instead of the Galaxy or M8 simply because it's half the price. Also the fact that Motorola themself don't have supply chain in Estonia. I don't know where I'm going with this but I really hate the high price of the new nexus.

XBP

Living in a country where the 2 year contracts are not the norm I can tell you right now that the nexus is going to bomb. Currently everyone here have bought themselves a nexus 5 instead of the Galaxy or M8 simply because it's half the price. Also the fact that Motorola themself don't have supply chain in Estonia. I don't know where I'm going with this but I really hate the high price of the new nexus.

I dont think google is really looking to target such markets. Their focus this time around is to push the device through carriers via contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom