• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Living in a country where the 2 year contracts are not the norm I can tell you right now that the nexus is going to bomb. Currently everyone here have bought themselves a nexus 5 instead of the Galaxy or M8 simply because it's half the price. Also the fact that Motorola themself don't have supply chain in Estonia. I don't know where I'm going with this but I really hate the high price of the new nexus.

Bomb? I don't expect that, though I don't really expect a massive hit anymore than I would the new Note. Then again maybe more people really have gone stupid mad for stupidly big phones.

oti

Banned
I'm looking for a radio app that can:
- record music for offline use
- split that music into tracks
- delete ads between those tracks

Is there an App like that? TuneIn can record radio as far as I know but can it also split the recordings into independent tracks? 7€ is a totally ok price for the Pro App if it can do that. Thanks in advance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has anyone else has issues with playing videos in Chrome lately? This is what stuff looks like for me now:

screenshot_2014-11-10xkuel.png

Unwatchable. On a related note, YouTube links refuse to open in the YouTube app anymore, they just open on the mobile site. I have cleared the standard app settings and all that, but no dice.

EDIT: Ok, the second issue is apparently a Chrome Beta issue, as the stable version lets me open links in the YouTube app. But the messed up in-browser video is there in both. Maybe it's an issue with the Lollipop preview.

Nicktendo86

Has anyone else has issues with playing videos in Chrome lately? This is what stuff looks like for me now:

Unwatchable. On a related note, YouTube links refuse to open in the YouTube app anymore, they just open on the mobile site. I have cleared the standard app settings and all that, but no dice.

EDIT: Ok, the second issue is apparently a Chrome Beta issue, as the stable version lets me open links in the YouTube app. But the messed up in-browser video is there in both. Maybe it's an issue with the Lollipop preview.
Yesnhad that green/purple issur on embedded YouTube videos for a couple of weeks now

oti

Banned
I found Audials. It isn't the nicest looking App but it seems to get the job done and it is just 4€ for the pro version. Time to fill up my 64GB OPO with radio. :)

Professional wine tasting.

Jk no, i'm actually an employed SE, and I love it, but just realize the road is very very rocky. Nothing like being cooped up at home cramming while other majors are out having a social life...

People need to realize that any camera (that isn't defective) in a flagship will more than suffice for the average person. Decide for yourself by looking at sample pics in reviews:
http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-review-2014
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/19/moto-x-review-2nd-generation/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/6121143/motorola-moto-x-2014-new-review
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/moto-x-review-2014/
Aspiring Electrical engineer here, I've already accepted the no life requirements to be working on badass projects in the future. Gaf will keep me company :D

Any flagship camera is better than the bullshit camera on my current phone. Besides, I'm not the average person ;)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Living in a country where the 2 year contracts are not the norm I can tell you right now that the nexus is going to bomb. Currently everyone here have bought themselves a nexus 5 instead of the Galaxy or M8 simply because it's half the price. Also the fact that Motorola themself don't have supply chain in Estonia. I don't know where I'm going with this but I really hate the high price of the new nexus.
Google already tried this approach and they aren't happy with the results. Time to sell their soul.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Aspiring Electrical engineer here, I've already accepted the no life requirements to be working on badass projects in the future. Gaf will keep me company :D

Any flagship camera is better than the bullshit camera on my current phone. Besides, I'm not the average person ;)

Not that this doesn't happen, but I'll honest for most engineers this really isn't the norm. You'll have more than your fair share of good pay and free time to use it.

Aesius

My Droid Turbo's battery seems to be getting better the more I use it. Ended up charging it just now with nearly 8 hours of screen on time and about 36 hours on battery. Not bad.

thespot84

You have to wait for Lollipop to get Google Calendar?

No, google has shown off it's new calendar update with material design. I imagine i'll get it via an update at some point. It took me a few weeks to get the new material gmail, however. I was just wondering if someone had used the new google calendar 5.0 and today calendar and was able to compare.

I just saw it's available for sideload though, so i'll check it out myself....

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/google-calendar-5-0-ready-4-0-3-devices-apk-download/

Anyone know of any permanent fixes to tags for music. Most music comes up as unknown and i need to fix it and I have this app ID3fixer but it never fixes the the actual issue and only fixes it in the android database but it has reverted back on 3 occassions and its annoying to have to constantly fix this. Its supposed to be able to fix this permantly but it never works so i have to settle for the temporary android database fix option. Anyone know of any permanent fixes?

Anyone know of any permanent fixes to tags for music. Most music comes up as unknown and i need to fix it and I have this app ID3fixer but it never fixes the the actual issue and only fixes it in the android database but it has reverted back on 3 occassions and its annoying to have to constantly fix this. Its supposed to be able to fix this permantly but it never works so i have to settle for the temporary android database fix option. Anyone know of any permanent fixes?

I do it on iTunes before I import it.

3phemeral

I manually did it using TagScanner.

Depending on where I bought the track from over the years, the metadata could be different. So sometimes I'd have tracks from the same album that would be divided. The album metadata would be exactly the same, as was the artist, only to find out later that Google Music will use "Track Artist" if there is no "Album Artist" listed, so it would be divided simply because it was missing a tag even though the tag it was replacing it with was identical. So I used TagScanner to make all my tags consistent. It'll allow you to manually enter tags or search through several different database to batch process an album. You can also have it organize and rename your library in whatever way you'd prefer them to be. Spent a weekend revamping my whole library and everything is perfect.

I manually did it using TagScanner.

Depending on where I bought the track from over the years, the metadata could be different. So sometimes I'd have tracks from the same album that would be divided. The album metadata would be exactly the same, as was the artist, only to find out later that Google Music will use "Track Artist" if there is no "Album Artist" listed, so it would be divided simply because it was missing a tag even though the tag it was replacing it with was identical. So I used TagScanner to make all my tags consistent. It'll allow you to manually enter tags or search through several different database to batch process an album. You can also have it organize and rename your library in whatever way you'd prefer them to be. Spent a weekend revamping my whole library and everything is perfect.

From what i can gather the reason why i cant do it with the app is due to kitkat and that prior to that you could do it (im new to android). However i hear that lollipop may fix the issue and is due to drop soon, atleast on my phone from rumors. Thanks for the suggestion this would fix it without waiting for that which maynot even fix it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/10/google-voice-mms-messaging-support-for-verizon-now-official/

Google Voice MMS Messaging is now supported on Verizon. Sweet.

Curious, is Google's MMS app better than the given one on the GS4/Touchwiz?

Google's MMS app is Hangouts. Except there's the new Messenger one coming with Lollipop, but it's not in the preview, so I haven't tried it yet.

This is pretty dope:

Chrome v39 On Lollipop Supports Custom Multitasking Header/Status Bar Colors With A Simple HTML Tag

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...aderstatus-bar-colors-with-a-simple-html-tag/

Cool, it works:

Much nicer than the boring gray tabs you normally get. There's a bug though, that makes the color disappear once the page has fully loaded (so I had to snap these screens rather quickly). Will be fixed, I guess.

EDIT: And hey, that one also uses the favicon as the "app" icon. Don't know why my other tabs don't.

EDIT 2: Ok, that also goes away once the page has fully loaded. Well, get these bugs fixed, and this could be pretty nice!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google needs to add quick unlock...so annoying.

Use pattern unlock...? Much quicker than PIN. Less secure too, sure (if you use a long PIN code), but probably secure enough for most people. And a PIN code that automatically unlocks on the last digit is less secure as well, so, yeah.

Majine

Banned
Can't you add pdfs and ebooks to Google Play books locally? It wants me to upload everything to the cloud...

I thought it was like iBooks.

mturco

That's the cloud stuff tho. I just want to put it on my phone locally.

Oh oops. Misread your question. I'm not sure if you can do that the way you can do it with Play Music... but why would you want to? Easy enough to just upload it right? Should sync read progress and whatnot that way too.

Majine

Banned
Oh oops. Misread your question. I'm not sure if you can do that the way you can do it with Play Music... but why would you want to? Easy enough to just upload it right? Should sync read progress and whatnot that way too.
I understand it has some benefits but feels kinda weird to use the cellular connection to read something you already have stored elsewhere.

Schrade

I understand it has some benefits but feels kinda weird to use the cellular connection to read something you already have stored elsewhere.

When you are reading a book from Play Books it will have a pin icon in the lower right hand corner. Click that icon and it'll save the entire thing to your device for offline reading. Oh, and I don't mean while you're in the book, I mean the book's cover icon. That's where the little pin icon is.

Husker86

Use pattern unlock...? Much quicker than PIN. Less secure too, sure (if you use a long PIN code), but probably secure enough for most people. And a PIN code that automatically unlocks on the last digit is less secure as well, so, yeah.

Pattern doesn't satisfy the security requirement for exchange accounts that require a secured phone. Now, I personally don't use my work account on my phone, but that is a complaint of many.

I don't mind the pattern unlock, but it's far too easy to duplicate after watching a person do it once out of the corner of your eye, plus there can be a line of finger oil on the screen perfectly outlining the pattern.

Honestly, I mostly just leave my phone un-secured (I have Cerberus/Device Manager, so I can at least remotely lock/wipe it). I use TouchID on my iPhone because it's so simple and fast, but for Android I have never been able to keep security on it for very long because it gets too bothersome.

Majine

Banned
When you are reading a book from Play Books it will have a pin icon in the lower right hand corner. Click that icon and it'll save the entire thing to your device for offline reading. Oh, and I don't mean while you're in the book, I mean the book's cover icon. That's where the little pin icon is.
Sweet, thanks.

Kinda wish you could drop it on your device without going via the cloud like you can in google Music, but oh well.

RedFyn

android police said:
My only concern is that some sites might be a little obnoxious by turning your status bar some awful color.
This made me chuckle because I was thinking the exact same thing about their indigo while reading the article. What an awful color.

NotBacon

Pattern doesn't satisfy the security requirement for exchange accounts that require a secured phone. Now, I personally don't use my work account on my phone, but that is a complaint of many.

I don't mind the pattern unlock, but it's far too easy to duplicate after watching a person do it once out of the corner of your eye, plus there can be a line of finger oil on the screen perfectly outlining the pattern.

Honestly, I mostly just leave my phone un-secured (I have Cerberus/Device Manager, so I can at least remotely lock/wipe it). I use TouchID on my iPhone because it's so simple and fast, but for Android I have never been able to keep security on it for very long because it gets too bothersome.

Lollipop has the new instant (and hidden) face unlock. So you can just swipe to unlock every time and no one will see the pin screen. Hand it to someone else and watch them suffer...
Demonstration

Schrade

Sweet, thanks.

Kinda wish you could drop it on your device without going via the cloud like you can in google Music, but oh well.

You can but you have to use third party eBook readers for that.

Edit: Unless what Vanillalite says is true.. I don't think that worked for me when I was on Jellybean so I never tried it again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey guys did you know the Nexus 9 has a notification LED but it only works when the device is off and charging?

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif
These Google Fall 2014 devices are just disappointment after disappointment. Nexus 9 doesn't even have quick charge, 6 no tap to wake. The more we learn, the worse they are. Come on.

NotBacon

These Google Fall 2014 devices are just disappointment after disappointment. Nexus 9 doesn't even have quick charge, 6 no tap to wake. The more we learn, the worse they are. Come on.

More so the 9. I'm still hyped as hell for when my N6 arrives.

BTW ambient display > tap to wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom