• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

why doesn't note 4 have double tap to wake? Yes it has a home physical button but it would be more convenient. PLus voice wake up using s voice doesn't seem to work very well so far. ANyone using this feature and being succesful?

terrier

If true, performance on n9 is worrying, maybe it is just another case of nvidia underdelivering despite all the cores and stuff their k1 has, maybe it is first gen 64 bit issues.Or just buggy Android L, but doesn't make sense since n5 preview is smooth as fuck. Hope we will find out soon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Damn. Wasn't the battery life a bug in lollipop that drains the battery?

That's a shame though. Really was hoping that it would be my next upgrade. Guess I could always go for the nvidia shield?

These Google Fall 2014 devices are just disappointment after disappointment. Nexus 9 doesn't even have quick charge, 6 no tap to wake. The more we learn, the worse they are. Come on.

I'm waiting for reviews but the 6 doesn't look like a disappointment to me. I agree with you about the Nexus 9.

Milpool

:(
I am really hoping the battery situation improves at least. 5hrs tops screen time on a tablet is ridiculous.

Seems to be chrome that's killing it for me. Just watching twitch streams/plex/emails/news I get about 9-10 hours, but the battery dives as soon as I start browsing. I swear it drops at like 1% per minute.
Maybe exaggerating

Hopefully the lack of a notification LED is just a bug which I remember being common with the Nexus 4 at launch. Haven't had any problems with build quality, I even sat on it the other night by mistake and it's fine.

Zeppu

Seems to be chrome that's killing it for me. Just watching twitch streams/plex/emails/news I get about 9-10 hours, but the battery dives as soon as I start browsing. I swear it drops at like 1% per minute.
Maybe exaggerating

Hopefully the lack of a notification LED is just a bug which I remember being common with the Nexus 4 at launch. Haven't had any problems with build quality, I even sat on it the other night by mistake and it's fine.

Yeah chrome is horrendous. I had 12% in the battery stats just from about an hour of chrome usage. Ridiculous. In terms of build quality, really it's the buttons which kill it for me. Any time I need to adjust the volume I need to fumble around to find the buttons. I've been lucky enough to not have any issues with my display bleeding but I seem to be one of the lucky few. The squishy back is a minor thing in that it's pretty harmless, but at the same time a €450 gadget shouldn't do that.

I do suspect the LED is just a bug as well and it'll be fixed but it just reinforces how little of a fuck they give about the quality.

I was also incredibly embarrassed when I was attempting to look enthused and told my friend to 'turn off that music from your ipad, let's hear it on my excellent dual speakers' only to have sound seem hollower than an iPad 3 in a case.

Here is the thing. I love Nexii. My last 2 phones were both a Nexus. I've been without a tablet for about a year and a half but I'd been waiting eagerly for one to buy. The Nexus 7s were both great. The Nexus 10 was also widely praised. I did kind of want a bigger tablet than a 7" one but I wasn't going to buy the Nexus 10 since I assumed it'd be getting a yearly refresh. Nexus phone were somewhat hit-and-miss but the tablets were all excellent. Even the LG GPad GPE was amazing. The only reason I didn't get one was because it was impossible to get it in Europe. So I was ecstatic when rumours of a 9" HTC-built tablet started popping up. 9" seemed like a great size. HTC build fantastic hardware. Lollipop is amazing. All nexus tablets are great. I obviously didn't hesitate to pre-order. <insert amazon delay shenanigans here>. Then I got it, and on no level is it as good as I expected or as it should've been. It's disappointing, to say the least.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pattern doesn't satisfy the security requirement for exchange accounts that require a secured phone. Now, I personally don't use my work account on my phone, but that is a complaint of many.

I don't mind the pattern unlock, but it's far too easy to duplicate after watching a person do it once out of the corner of your eye, plus there can be a line of finger oil on the screen perfectly outlining the pattern.

Honestly, I mostly just leave my phone un-secured (I have Cerberus/Device Manager, so I can at least remotely lock/wipe it). I use TouchID on my iPhone because it's so simple and fast, but for Android I have never been able to keep security on it for very long because it gets too bothersome.

While I can understand that pattern unlock might not be secure enough for work phones, your reasoning makes no sense. PIN is too bothersome (which I agree with on a personal phone), and pattern is too insecure, so your solution is to use NOTHING? Even a simple pattern would be much more secure than that. And that smudge trail thing is unlikely to work very well if you have a sufficiently complex pattern that crosses over itself and stuff. And if you use the phone a lot, use swipe typing, etc, it's gonna be even less of an issue since there'll be all kinds of other smudges in every direction.

mturco

- Battery life
- Build quality
- Performance
- Speakers
- LED

Also, Lollipop, while incredibly pretty, seems a bit unfinished and rough round the edges. I expect a 5.x release to fix that though.

:(
I am really hoping the battery situation improves at least. 5hrs tops screen time on a tablet is ridiculous.

Just to provide a second opinion...

I have not had most of these issues with my N9. The build quality issues are definitely there (mine has a lot of light bleed) and the lack of a notification LED is annoying (but less so on a tablet). Other than that, my experience has been really great. Lollipop really flies on it. It's insanely fast and smooth and I've had zero performance issues. (Although it does get a bit warm at times.) The speakers are super loud (almost too loud on the lowest setting) and while they don't sound amazing, neither do any other tablet speakers, so that can't be a negative. I do agree about the volume and power buttons though. Those are annoyingly hard to hit.

As for battery life, I definitely am not seeing what you're seeing. I'm getting at least 8-9 hours of screen time with mixed usage (mostly reading and streaming basketball). It does obviously lower if I just play games straight through (then maybe 5 hours screen time). Over all though, it's been fantastic to use and I'm looking forward to exchanging mine for one without light bleed.

Zeppu

Do you use Chrome at all mtruco? I need to try a battery run without using chrome just to see if that's what's draining my battery.

mturco

Do you use Chrome at all mtruco? I need to try a battery run without using chrome just to see if that's what's draining my battery.

Yeah I use Chrome beta. I haven't noticed it eating my battery in the battery stats. It did crash on me yesterday but that's about it.

Zeppu

Yeah I use Chrome beta. I haven't noticed it eating my battery in the battery stats. It did crash on me yesterday but that's about it.

I'll switch to the beta and give it a go then.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours. Apologies if I'm being a downer, I just wish they had thrown it a bit more care and attention, I'm sure it would've turned out to be a stunning tablet if they just had done so.

All I hear about Chrome mobile is that is eats battery for breakfast. Literally. And that the UI is sometimes shit, depending on the beta that is currently out.

Is there really no better option or is the Chrome synchronization the only reason why people put up with it?

Sch1sm

All I hear about Chrome mobile is that is eats battery for breakfast. Literally. And that the UI is sometimes shit, depending on the beta that is currently out.

Is there really no better option or is the Chrome synchronization the only reason why people put up with it?

Pretty much. That or laziness, it's just a convenient
yet terrible
option.

Husker86

While I can understand that pattern unlock might not be secure enough for work phones, your reasoning makes no sense. PIN is too bothersome (which I agree with on a personal phone), and pattern is too insecure, so your solution is to use NOTHING? Even a simple pattern would be much more secure than that. And that smudge trail thing is unlikely to work very well if you have a sufficiently complex pattern that crosses over itself and stuff. And if you use the phone a lot, use swipe typing, etc, it's gonna be even less of an issue since there'll be all kinds of other smudges in every direction.

That's a fair point. My thinking was more along the lines of the pattern being too insecure to even be worth the trouble of using it for security, which may be a bit dramatic.

The other thing that bothered me was that I couldn't send messages in my car using hands-free Google Now when it was secured, even when my car was registered as a trusted bluetooth device. The phone said I had to manually unlock it (which is just a swipe, since my car is a trusted device) before I could do that.

Sure, that would happen (right now) with any security implementation on Android devices, but it's just another little thing that Google has to work out and that makes me do the unwise thing of leaving my phone unsecured.

Chrome is definitely a battery eater but I still always used it for the syncing mostly. And I liked the way of switching between tabs. All the other browsers I've used are always missing something for me.

Damn my M7 battery is shot. It lasts like half a day. Was hoping to start using a phone that wasn't gigantic again.
Welcome to the club. That's one of the downside of a non-removable battery. My stupid phone last like 4 hours and it craps out. I refuse to get another phone with terrible battery life.

The synchronization aspect is a major reason to use chrome. I just don't understand why Google refuses to optimize its app. Chrome is an energy sucker.

mturco

I'm glad you're enjoying yours. Apologies if I'm being a downer, I just wish they had thrown it a bit more care and attention, I'm sure it would've turned out to be a stunning tablet if they just had done so.

I agree, the whole thing has been a huge mess. Given all the hardware issues, it's entirely possible you could just have a bad unit too. All the issues are frustrating because without them this would be a really great tablet - easily the best Android tablet ever made.

No need to apologize for having an opinion my dude. It's good to see mixed reactions. If everyone was overly positive about it I'd think something was up.

----

Edit: Say I just want a cheap tablet for drawing and nothing else. Is the og Note 10.1 still a good buy for that purpose, or is the hardware/performance no longer cutting it?

NotBacon

*cough*Ambient Display*cough*

Yeah it's not exactly the same, and it's actually fundamentally different, but it more than compensates for the gap left behind with no TTW.

NotBacon

So, my mother needed a new phone and I ordered a Moto G 2014 for her. Was that a good decision AndroidGAF?

YU DUN SCREWED UP

Not really, it's great, but did you check to see if your mom would like that size? It's considerably bigger than the 2013 model but the same res screen and same specs...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Nexus 6 is starting at $249 on contract for at&t according to DroidLife. I should've known that $49 price was too good to be true. Still, the usual $199 contract price would've been better than this.

Edit:

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/11/att-pre-orders-for-the-nexus-6-open-tomorrow-november-12/

Damn it Barquemantic I was just about to post this. Link for anyone interested:http://about.att.com/story/att_announces_nov_12_preorders_for_the_nexus_6_with_android_5_0_lollipop.html

Fuck... I knew $50 seemed to good to be true...

phoenixyz

YU DUN SCREWED UP

Not really, it's great, but did you check to see if your mom would like that size? It's considerably bigger than the 2013 model but the same res screen and same specs...

Yep, I told her that it's quite a bit bigger than her current phone but she doesn't seem to mind.

Nexus 6 is going to drop in price so fast. The king of Android, Samsung will have a new Galaxy out in March most likely with Snapdragon 810. HTC will also have their next out around the same time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nexus 6 is going to drop in price so fast. The king of Android, Samsung will have a new Galaxy out in March most likely with Snapdragon 810. HTC will also have their next out around the same time.

Usuually April for the US, but your point still stands.

Hard for me to pull the trigger and spend $700 when new phones are always coming out.

I'm using my old ass HTC One XL for now through with CM ROM, and I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd expect them $99 through carrier by January and some ebay daily deals for $450-$500 new by January. This phone has a stop gap processor in it. 64bit is coming so soon.
I agree with you. I think the phone will bomba. It's also a stop gap phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom