• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That feel. I'm using a Droid Razr HD as my daily driver with Paranoid Android. The struggle (latency, 10fps animations, potato CPU) is real.

When the play store has updates might as well set the phone down for an hour to update all of the apps cause you can't do shit when that happens.

Bacon knows with that 10fps animations.

Groof

Have we ever even gotten an official launch date confirmed? Because I've never seen one, so this rage about a failed launch is unwarranted in my opinion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd expect them $99 through carrier by January and some ebay daily deals for $450-$500 new by January. This phone has a stop gap processor in it. 64bit is coming so soon.

Because you're gonna notice such a huge difference due to that in stock Android, which is already smooth as hell on the "old" N5? Nope. I don't get the excitement over 64-bit CPUs. It's good that they're coming, don't get me wrong, but for now it's gonna make a minimal (if even noticeable at all) difference. They're not magically gonna make everything run twice as fast, like some people seem to think. Acting like the N6 is already obsolete just because it doesn't have a 64-bit CPU is simply silly. You think the next Galaxy S is gonna provide a smoother experience than the N6? Allow me to giggle.

After some googling and tweaking and wiping cache on my M7 as well as downloading some battery monitoring and battery improving apps, it seems my M7's battery is finally performing decently. Left the phone idle for an hour and only lost about 2-3% whereas I was losing more than 10% previously. Crossing my fingers and hoping it will stay like this and maybe I can eventually ease it into running more stuff with little or no increase in the battery use.

TheRook

Do you guys feel like the Nexus 6 is a significant upgrade from the Nexus 5?

I'm eligible for AT&T Next and I was thinking about upgrading but Im not sure if it's really worth it.

NotBacon

Because you're gonna notice such a huge difference due to that in stock Android, which is already smooth as hell on the "old" N5? Nope. I don't get the excitement over 64-bit CPUs. It's good that they're coming, don't get me wrong, but for now it's gonna make a minimal (if even noticeable at all) difference. They're not magically gonna make everything run twice as fast, like some people seem to think. Acting like the N6 is already obsolete just because it doesn't have a 64-bit CPU is simply silly. You think the next Galaxy S is gonna provide a smoother experience than the N6? Allow me to giggle.

Preach.
I have no doubt the N6 is going kick ass and people will forget about this debacle.

Will be a huge difference in gaming and app performance. Of course if you don't use apps or games there wouldn't be a need for you to upgrade. I guarantee the S6 will give better performance than the n6 if it uses the snapdragon 810.

Do you guys feel like the Nexus 6 is a significant upgrade from the Nexus 5?

I'm eligible for AT&T Next and I was thinking about upgrading but Im not sure if it's really worth it.

Significant? Not really. It is an upgrade. Just depends on what you need to upgrade for. If you just want the newest shiny phone then yea get it.

jwk94

Material design is so bad. It focuses too much on making things look pretty and forgets about convenience and usability. The Google Music app used to allow you to click on an artist's portrait to get to their page. Now you have to click the options button to get to "go to artist."

I updated to the new Calendar app last night and it looks nice but why the hell is so much space taken up by times? You completely lose the 7 day format and it squishes the appointments you have set up. Who thought this was a good idea? What place has a five day week?
LLShC.gif

NotBacon

Will be a huge difference in gaming and app performance. Of course if you don't use apps or games there wouldn't be a need for you to upgrade. I guarantee the S6 will give better performance than the n6 if it uses the snapdragon 810.

ITT: people too busy looking at numbers on paper to realize how good flagships are already performing.

It will be incremental, not a leap.

I haven't checked in for awhile. Is the LG G3 still considered the top all around android phone?

lolno

Note 4 is excellent and probably the top phone out now if price is no concern. One Plus One hits the sweet spot of price vs performance and basically takes over where the Nexus line left off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

No, it won't make a huge difference. It really won't. And I would bet quite a lot of money on the S6 not being smoother than the N6 overall. They're gonna TouchWiz it to crap like they always do.

Note 4 is excellent and probably the top phone out now if price is no concern.

But one of the bottom choices if you care the least bit about the day-to-day software experience.

NotBacon

Samsung is #1 and gets all the heart that Apple used to get. Motorola got praise for adding features the GS3/GN2/GS4 had.

?
The only extra features Moto has added onto the Nexus experience are Moto Display, Moto Voice, Moto Assist, and Moto Connect.

None of which were, or ever have been, on a Samsung phone.

You're off point here.

Samsung is #1 and gets all the heart that Apple used to get. Motorola got praise for adding features the GS3/GN2/GS4 had.
Moto gets praise for not butchering Android. Besides, the GS3/GS4 voice control isn't nearly as good as in Moto phones or even the same sooo.
Z3, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo, Moto X...
Pretty much any phone that doesn't choke its SoC with more pixels than were intended for it. And that's not even including the wealth of reported screen problems on the G3.
I'd add the HTC One M8 to that list and you're good to go.

TheRook

Significant? Not really. It is an upgrade. Just depends on what you need to upgrade for. If you just want the newest shiny phone then yea get it.

Okay I understand, I really like the Nexus 5, I had no issues with the phone outside of limited support when it came to cases but the spigen Neo hybrid works well. I think I should hold off on upgrading for the time being.

I was curious about the ambient light setting that is in lollipop, does it work universally wih all phones or is this a feature that the phone needs to be built with?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's just BS and you know it. The phone runs excellent without any hiccups.

TouchWiz is awful compared to pure Android. Just awful. It looks to be getting slightly less awful with Lollipop, but it's still a pretty massive step down from stock.

And Samsung phones do usually lag and hitch much more than they should given the hardware they have. All because of the awful skin, unnecessary features (I'm not saying ALL of them are bad), and bloat.

I was curious about the ambient light setting that is in lollipop, does it work universally wih all phones or is this a feature that the phone needs to be built with?

You mean the ambient screen thing, where it subtly lights up to show you notifications and stuff? That will probably only be available on phones with OLED displays, as those can turn on just the necessary pixels. An LCD can't, it's either all or nothing. So the N5 will most likely not get this feature.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Z3, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo, Moto X...
Pretty much any phone that doesn't choke its SoC with more pixels than were intended for it. And that's not even including the wealth of reported screen problems on the G3.

Yet those extra pixels can get more battery life than the moto x...

Well, I'm probably not gonna get the N6 now. Had it been $350 off contract or $49 on contract, I would get one in a heartbeat. Guess I gotta stick with TouchWiz for another year. That said, the lollipop TouchWiz update looks much nicer than the current crap I'm using.

Gotdammit.

On a slightly different note, I just wish Google would make their own hardware. The Pixel proves they've got the chops to do so, and I'd love to see them build a Nexus phone and tablet internally. Nexus devices are never going to be huge sellers anyway, unless Google is finally willing to spend the necessary dough to market them appropriately. Who cares if they no longer work with OEMs on Nexus devices? It's not like OEMs have anything to worry about.

But on the real, though, Google can be so friggin dumb. It's like they just don't care sometimes. Why would you abandon one of the most popular Nexus tablets (N7)? Why would you be fine with releasing a would be good product with so many flaws (N9). Some of Google's decision making makes no sense to me. And where the hell is my updated Chromecast with 5Ghz/dual-band support?

I know I'm ranting, but it's just so annoying to see one of the most powerful companies in the world half-assing shit with regards to their own platform.

Edit: This great comparison of the N9 and iPad Air 2 is what kind spurred on my little rant.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11/nexus-9-vs-ipad-air-2-a-mostly-subjective-comparison/

in other news, i got DAT EMAIL from Samsung about my rebate being approved.

in 6-8 weeks i will have officially paid out a lower cost for a better handset than a Nexus 6.

Furyous

$450 for a glorified Moto G is laughable. LOL. Moto G is $180. I can have an unlocked Moto G in hand in two days and keep almost $300 in my pocket.

Speaking of the MG, the soak test is underway.

Waiting for a new phone is the hardest thing ever. I know what I want but no OEM will give it to me. Android OEMs need to do better to cater to sub 5 inch crowd that wants an SD card slot. Don't mind me because I'm just mad I have to wait next year to buy an Android smartphone.

?
The only extra features Moto has added onto the Nexus experience are Moto Display, Moto Voice, Moto Assist, and Moto Connect.

None of which were, or ever have been, on a Samsung phone.

You're off point here.

I think he's specifically referring to the sensors that wake the screen up. Selectively remembering the feature that is minimum and ignoring the awesome ones.

I think he's specifically referring to the sensors that wake the screen up. Selectively remembering the feature that is minimum and ignoring the awesome ones.

and the hand gesture to ignore calls. though on the GS4 it did the factually more useful action of answering the call and putting speakerphone mode on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom