• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrier

That's just BS and you know it. The phone runs excellent without any hiccups.

i own a note 4, the phone performs well, but is not as smooth as my nexus 5: recent apps takes a while to load, hangouts does not run smooth at all when sending messages, and there's some lag/stuttering here and there. However touchwiz offers a lot of extra functions that stock android should consider to add too, at least some basic ones. It is like a trade-off: multitasking is awesome, one handed mode by shriking screen is great too, and while i use GN Launcher, i miss the option to manage app drawer as i wish
I hope that it is just unoptimized android 4.4.4 for note4 because it launched just days before Android L, kinda a temporary OS since it will probably upgrade to lollipop in a few weeks and that would be the real OS note 4 had been targeting.

npa189

Just ordered a nexus 6 from at&t, another 2 years with big blue. I really can't complain as I don't know any different, first and only phone account for 10 years now. I'm excited to get it and I think I'll really like having a big phone with that crazy battery. I was perfectly happy with my nexus 5, but I just figured why not.

Polari

On second glance a couple of the icons are definitely low res (Hangouts, Google Settings) and the scaling on the cards on the carousel screen is messed up. Also a few weird layout bugs around the place.

So after moving from iOS to Android I thought I'd really get into the emulators and what not, but it's not really happening for me. I guess it's the lack of controls, and a controller won't help that since it'll compromise the portability.

They run beautifully, way better than the Vita I think? I wouldn't have minded a bit of extra bulk on the Z3 if it just had a slide-out pad like the Xperia Play. Perhaps though it is just a psychological thing, I can't get into a game if I'm on the train/bus, the same way as if I'm comfy and at home. Proven by the fact I barely ever take my Vita out.

However on the bright side it'll be nice to combine this with a USB to HDMI cable and effectively turn the phone into a better PSTV. I thought the lack of mini HDMI meant no video out, but I was sorely mistaken. Any thoughts I had about PSTV or Nexus TV are put to rest now, since I can effectively use my phone for the same purpose and more.

Also I need to get my one of them Chromecasts. Miracast built in to my TV should've negated it somewhat. I can get over the fact the phone's screen stays on when playing video (VLC being the only exception). But I can't get over that lag. They tout it as a Wireless HDMI, it's Wifi direct etc. so it's pushing data at a really high bandwidth etc., I even placed my phone directly next to the TV, but it still suffers from noticeable lag here and there. The picture quality is fine, it's just the shuddering, the damn shuddering.

I've read people have had good results with some Netgear branded Miracast adaptor, so perhaps it's the TV that's causing the problems? Regardless fuck all that noise, Chromecast is the way to go and I'll invest in one soon.

Ending on a bright note, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth running Sopcast on Android was. iPhone use to have an app for it that was taken down eventually, but it was unstable and wouldn't run in the background and you couldn't use an external player. But the Android equivalent runs perfectly, you can have it in the background and use VLC with it. It's literally like having a PC in your pocket, torrents, Sopcast, file browsing, emulators, file downloading etc. I feel like an idiot for waiting this long to get an Android.

sca2511

Same. Just the screen? Can't figure it out. Seems a bit snappier though at least.
Yeah it's a bit strange. I wonder if the OTA will be the same, even this is the leaked version. It is pretty snappy though, like you said. It also looks like the Comixology app cant render pages correctly.

Groof

Yeah it's a bit strange. I wonder if the OTA will be the same, even this is the leaked version. It is pretty snappy though, like you said. It also looks like the Comixology app cant render pages correctly.
Do they turn black after a page swipe? If so that issue has been in there since the very first L preview... Wonder why it isn't fixed yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
...and there's the Calendar update. Old vs new:

screenshot_2014-11-12xosei.png
screenshot_2014-11-12yis87.png

I have to scroll way down to see this event, that I could see right away in the old version. And once I see it, it's all squished together:

screenshot_2014-11-12u3qyy.png

Looks better design-wise, of course, but GOD DAMN it shows so much less information at a glance now. Just 5 days instead of the full week (unless you go to landscape). You can't "zoom" to show more of each day at once now, there's just the one information density. And week numbers are gone, WHY! Nicer looking, significantly less productive. Sigh.

The calendar looks better on tablets, but for phones there are much better options out there that work seamlessly. My wife uses aCalendar or something like that. It's not pretty but she says it shows her all the stuff she wants at a glance.

Groof

The new calendar is absolute trash on mobile. Useless. Works well on tablets though.

I'll keep using Today though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GS5 1 cent on contract at Target BF.

GS4 97 cents on contract at Walmart BF. (GS5 $99)

WAT!?

Key place is still Amazon. If you look they rotate like one major phone on sale each week for dirt cheap on contract.

I've seen the M8, G3, Xv2 ect... All for a dollar or a penny. Then no need to deal with BF. :p

yyzjohn

Banned
Got Android Lollipop from Android Police leak for my Nexus 7 (2012). Looks like today is the day. Setup was flawless, I installed fresh and it installed all my apps and my homescreen was exactly the same.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there a way to make Chrome not embed every single Youtube video? Music threads on GAF are super slow to load.

Another completely different question, in regards to Lollipop; if I root my phone now on KitKat, will the wait for rooted Lollipop be faster? Or will I have to wait just as long for a rooted Lollipop if I update to stock firmware? Sorry if the question is worded horribly.

Edit: week numbers are gone in the new calendar? This is an outrage

Groof

Is there a way to make Chrome not embed every single Youtube video? Music threads on GAF are super slow to load.
This is a GAF option. Go to the front page on the main page and scroll to preferences. There's an option you can enable/disable in there.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'll be interested to hear how performance on Android L is on the old school N7. Like if L improves anything or not.

Stuff jumps onto the screen quicker, but then again this is a fresh install so I won't say it's definitely faster until I've played with it for a few weeks

vwnut13

The Lollipop has arrived! Waiting for "Android is Upgrading..." to finish and she will be all mine!

EDIT: And Wugfresh has released a root kernel already.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Lollipop has arrived! Waiting for "Android is Upgrading..." to finish and she will be all mine!

Ran into my first hiccup while trying to get this done. Apparently Wugfresh Toolkit didn't like my USB Port, and my flash to stock failed. For a minute there I thought I had lost it.

Official update? What phone?

Jigolo

hey guys i was wondering when my phone is going to get the lollipop update. I'm using a samsung droid galaxy 2

thank you

Drifters

...and there's the Calendar update. Old vs new:

Looks better design-wise, of course, but GOD DAMN it shows so much less information at a glance now. Just 5 days instead of the full week (unless you go to landscape). You can't "zoom" to show more of each day at once now, there's just the one information density. And week numbers are gone, WHY! Nicer looking, significantly less productive. Sigh.
Ugly. Glad I found the Today app way back when, that app is gorgeous.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ugly. Glad I found the Today app way back when, that app is gorgeous.

Yeah, think I might have to go with that one going forward as well. The difference in information density is just ridiculous. My only real nitpick about Today is that it, just like the new Google Calendar, lacks week numbers in week view. I don't often need to know that, but when I do it's convenient to just have my calendar app display it. Bring it back, please!

mturco

Yeah, think I might have to go with that one going forward as well. The difference in information density is just ridiculous:

Both of those look equally unusable to me. I've only ever been able to use agenda and 1-day views on any calendar app on my phone. Luckily, the agenda view in the new Google Calendar app is excellent.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Both of those look equally unusable to me. I've only ever been able to use agenda and 1-day views on any calendar app on my phone. Luckily, the agenda view in the new Google Calendar app is excellent.

I like getting a quick visual overview of the entire week, so I can very quickly tell when I'm available for stuff. I don't feel like I get that with just a list of events.

Anyone on T-Mo use Wi-fi calling alot? I know MMS doesn't pop in, but everything else does right? I get less than stellar signal at my job, so switching over saves a lot of battery for my One M7.

Gonna try my luck at the T-Mobile store today. That being said, aren't they only getting the 32 gb N6? If I can get it online, I will but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom