• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

I want to say that the moto g 2nd gen has been an absolutely fantastic experience so far. Yes it is a budget phone but that is only apparent every now and then. Unlike other phones where its almost every time you use it.

tzare

The old Google Calendar did it well enough, IMO, and Today does it almost identically.
Samsung's touchwiz Calendar is pretty awesome, too bad the widget doesn't work on GEL. I use month as widget, nice and if you touch a day a schedule appears which you can swype right or left to next/previous days. Very smooth too

sca2511

Do they turn black after a page swipe? If so that issue has been in there since the very first L preview... Wonder why it isn't fixed yet.

Yeah that's the issue. I've had this problem before on my old Nook Color , I think... or maybe a different N7 ROM. Guess I gotta wait for an app update. Also, the first half of the brightness slider doesn't affect the brightness at all.

I need help. My Nexus 5 is imploding.

The battery for the last two weeks have been lasting around 3-4 hours per charge, when I hit 20% or around there, every now and then the phone will just randomly shut down and be completely depleted of battery power.

I can come home from work with the battery at 50-60%, leave it on a table and three hours later pick it up and see that it's dead.

Is my battery collapsing or did I hid some weird bug that just destroys the battery?

Also it won't connect to my wifi anymore, is the phone just strait up dying?

Herewego.gif

What on Earth happened to that Nexus 6 battery life?

Only 2-3 hours of screen on time is ridiculous.

It seems like it's inconsistent. In the DroidLife review, they reported some off times for the battery. MKBHD also reported 6 hours of screen on time. It may be a software thing.

...and there's the Calendar update. Old vs new:

Looks better design-wise, of course, but GOD DAMN it shows so much less information at a glance now. Just 5 days instead of the full week (unless you go to landscape). You can't "zoom" to show more of each day at once now, there's just the one information density. And week numbers are gone, WHY! Nicer looking, significantly less productive. Sigh.

Samsung Calendar stay winning.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is a GAF option. Go to the front page on the main page and scroll to preferences. There's an option you can enable/disable in there.

Ah, thanks! I was considering awful things such as going back to 50 post view (the horror).

I want to say that the moto g 2nd gen has been an absolutely fantastic experience so far. Yes it is a budget phone but that is only apparent every now and then. Unlike other phones where its almost every time you use it.

Preach it! It runs things well enough and it feels really good in your hand. The only minor issue I have are the side buttons being a tad loose, but at least you know when you press them.

Ocho

Is there any difference from flashing a factory image over an OTA update (besides the obvious)? Will I still keep my apps, etc?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh my god. Lollipop is actually out for reals on the 2nd gen Moto G! I wonder when it'll hit Sweden :O

Edit: Oh, you don't have to wait for OTA. Well shit, I guess I'ma update later tonight then.

malyce

$649
qytltEF.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...gen-moto-x-pure-edition-and-moto-g-in-the-us/

Looks like our update has arrived! I am sure that mine will appear soon. Definitely being released in batches.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the lovely European localisation! Because god forbid you just install the update now and get the language files later.

Edit: Speaking of soak tests in the article. I actually ran the tap like wild on the phone just because I am insane enough to try it out. The thing is definitely water resistant :D. Took a while for the headphone jack to dry out though.

this_guy

Z3, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo, Moto X...
Pretty much any phone that doesn't choke its SoC with more pixels than were intended for it. And that's not even including the wealth of reported screen problems on the G3.

Nexus 6 screen seems to be much worse. I assume you'll be fair and whenever someone asks for recommendations that you point out that the Nexus 6 has a pretty crappy screen relative to other flagships?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/3

Some choice quotes from Anandtech:

I was highly disappointed by these results. Like I said earlier, we've seen great improvements in the quality of AMOLED displays as of late, and Google took color calibration very seriously with the Nexus 5. The Nexus 6 shows significant regression in color accuracy from the Nexus 5, and the maximum brightness is much lower.

Overall, the Nexus 6 display is quite poor relative to the displays on other smartphones

Also since battery life has already been tested with Lollipop, no more "wait for lollipop!" when it comes to battery life.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know this is a pretty popular topic but didn't see anything the last few pages. :)

What's the best Twitter client? I've always used Falcon Pro but frankly never been a huge fan. It's always a bummer coming from Tweetbot on my laptop/iPad to Falcon. Only real requirement is Tweetmarker integration.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Isn't facebook the biggest battery hog?

I always check for the biggest consumers of battery while I'm in sleep. That's what really irks me. Don't use FB so wouldn't know, but NFL Sunday Ticket for some reason is always the top consumer in sleep for me, so I have to delete it and reinstall each Sunday as needed. wtf

Google's Lollipop keyboard and Messenger apps have been released to the public (4.4+):

Really digging the design of the new messenger app. Going to give it a shot over Textra and QKSMS for the moment.

[edit] one big negative already for Messenger is not GIF support. It doesn't play :(

The old stock messaging app didn't play gifs either.

I knew this phone would be a flop. Price will drop so fast.

NotBacon

Also since battery life has already been tested with Lollipop, no more "wait for lollipop!" when it comes to battery life.

A big update was pushed last night to Nexus 6, and some are reporting excellent battery life even before that.

It's the software. Yes the Note 4 has a better screen, but once the bugs have been ironed out I doubt the Nexus 6 will be far behind.

malyce

Note 4 battery life gonna be CCCCRRRAAAAAZZZYYYYYY on Android 5.0 Lollipop!

Nexus 6 screen seems to be much worse. I assume you'll be fair and whenever someone asks for recommendations that you point out that the Nexus 6 has a pretty crappy screen relative to other flagships?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/3

Some choice quotes from Anandtech:

qytltEF.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom