• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

The Aandtech review is damming. Bad display and disappointing battery life. What's the point of Project Volta? I hope that this is a software bug.

The Nexus 6 will emerge at the end of the week as a greek god.

But really, it's just software. DroidLife, 9to5Goog, MKBHD, are all reporting great battery life. Others are reporting mediocre. And an update was pushed yesterday....

linkboy

I always check for the biggest consumers of battery while I'm in sleep. That's what really irks me. Don't use FB so wouldn't know, but NFL Sunday Ticket for some reason is always the top consumer in sleep for me, so I have to delete it and reinstall each Sunday as needed. wtf

Why not just greenify it?

Jigolo

But really, it's just software. DroidLife, 9to5Goog, MKBHD, are all reporting great battery life. Others are reporting mediocre. And an update was pushed yesterday....

Phonearena is also reporting good battery life but battery life comes down to how any specific person uses their phone (and location) so it's never going to be consistent. What makes you think an update that released yesterday is going to improve battery life for those that found it mediocre?

NotBacon

Phonearena is also reporting good battery life but battery life comes down to how any specific person uses their phone (and location) so it's never going to be consistent. What makes you think an update that released yesterday is going to improve battery life for those that found it mediocre?

Because it probably contained the wifi drain fix and other software tweaks?

But you are definitely correct on the everyone's usage will be different part.

I posted MKBHD comments earlier so it may very well be a software thing . But according to Ars, it's slower overall because of the storage they chose to go with. I'm waiting a week because this is beyond disappointing. Maybe I should get the iPhone 6+ and be done with this. I just want a new phone >_<

Jigolo

Because it probably contained the wifi drain fix and other software tweaks?

But you are definitely correct on the everyone's usage will be different part.

So you're saying DL, MKBHD and others should report even better battery life later in the week?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Seems like all of the QHD panels other than the brand new panel from Sammy on the Note 4 all have similar issues of color reproduction and brightness. I mean the N6 panel info mirrors all of the stuff about the LG G3 in that the res is awesome, but the rest not so much.

Toki767

Seems like all of the QHD panels other than the brand new panel from Sammy on the Note 4 all have similar issues of color reproduction and brightness. I mean the N6 panel info mirrors all of the stuff about the LG G3 in that the res is awesome, but the rest not so much.

But the Nexus 6 uses Samsung's panels lol

Toki767

And do you think Samsung is going to give their best stuff to their competitors. No, they're going to keep those for their phones and give the competition the next grade down.

That probably depends on how much Google or Motorola forked over for the panel really. Obviously if they wanted to pay an absolute premium price for it, Samsung would have to give them their best stuff.

Shouldn't there be a material update to Hangouts soon? This new app is brand new so has all the pretty interface.

Hangouts only a couple months ago got a design update. I really doubt we'll see a MD update any time soon. They probably have to try to figure out how to incorporate that Google Voice Dialer into it first.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
And do you think Samsung is going to give their best stuff to their competitors. No, they're going to keep those for their phones and give the competition the next grade down.

Ding ding! Samsung kept the best stuff in house. Plus the Note 4 panel was probably new, and they could only make so many anyways ie not enough for two major phone launches.

That's what happens when so much of the Android supply chain is caught up with Samsung (or Sony for Cameras).

Leaked lollipop build for One Plus One

https://mega.co.nz/#!WMY3EbqK!f936pE58yM41JQbFHL9md3bAKYCrOjSR8AthNXXvCKw

Screenshot_2014-11-12-11-56-52.png

Can't wait to get 5.0 on my original Nexus 7 :).

Even though I'd love to upgrade, is it even still worth going up to the 2013 Nexus 7?

I keep thinking the 2013 Nexus 7 is probably the best tablet Google put out.

Toki767

Google's Messenger app looks really beautiful, but it's so barebones. I honestly don't use SMS very much either so I think I'll stick to Hangouts for it.

jokkir

The over-the-air update for Lollipop is now starting! The update is starting for these devices:
Nexus 6: Minor update to address bugs
Nexus 9: Minor update to address bugs
Nexus 5: Update from KitKat to Lollipop
Nexus 7 WiFi (2012 & 2013): Update from KitKat to Lollipop
Nexus 10: Update from KitKat to Lollipop
It will also be put up on Android Open Source Project (AOSP).
why

Note: The OTA update for 3G/LTE versions of the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 have not yet started, nor have they started for the Nexus 4!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/nexus/f1EOEtihDxI/ML2h-eg5Bm4J

Well, shit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Updated material Google Messenger app now on the Play Store!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...utm_source=42matters.com&utm_medium=WidgetWeb

I like Hangouts, but I'll probably be switching to this for SMS/MMS.

Oooh, nice! This looks much better than Hangouts, which has become really ugly lately. Will be switching to this. It's just unfortunate and stupid that they've now got two separate apps for messaging again. My hope is that their plan is to kill Hangouts and roll its features into Messenger.

Ooooh, even nicer! Now get that factory image uploaded as well, so I can get some flashing going (I'm on the preview, so no OTA update for me).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does your phone contents get erased when you flash?

Depends. If you've never flashed anything before you're gonna have to unlock your bootloader first, and yes, that will wipe all user data. If it's already unlocked you might be able to flash without erasing your data, but it's not really recommended. Things might get messed up, a clean flash is always best. Or just wait for the OTA update, which is made to not wipe your data.

gcubed

I posted MKBHD comments earlier so it may very well be a software thing . But according to Ars, it's slower overall because of the storage they chose to go with. I'm waiting a week because this is beyond disappointing. Maybe I should get the iPhone 6+ and be done with this. I just want a new phone >_<

Ars is the only place talking about pausing and delayed actions. That, combined with the fact that it is the same memory controller as in the MotoX 2014, leads me to assume they have a bad unit.

The screen not being as accurate is disappointing

jesalr

Right, so, could I flash the N5 image without wiping my phone as it is? I mean, why would it be any different from OTA?

My bootloader is already unlocked, so I wouldn't need to wipe because of that.

ajpw

Right, so, could I flash the N5 image without wiping my phone as it is? I mean, why would it be any different from OTA?

My bootloader is already unlocked, so I wouldn't need to wipe because of that.

flashing the image will do a full wipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom