• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wonder if there's a big difference going from the L preview to release version.

Probably not much. Some fixed bugs, and it will obviously come with Google apps rather than the ancient AOSP ones like the preview did.

Right, so, could I flash the N5 image without wiping my phone as it is? I mean, why would it be any different from OTA?

My bootloader is already unlocked, so I wouldn't need to wipe because of that.

A flashable factory image and an update file are different. You technically can flash the image without wiping your user data (you just remove a wipe flag in the flashing script), but it's not recommended. You're likely to run into issues if you do it that way.

jesalr

Probably not much. Some fixed bugs, and it will obviously come with Google apps rather than the ancient AOSP ones like the preview did.

A flashable factory image and an update file are different. You technically can flash the image without wiping your user data (you just remove a wipe flag in the flashing script), but it's not recommended. You're likely to run into issues if you do it that way.
Bogus

get home from work. see nexus 6 reviews. see this:

pink-640x426.jpg
lol'd. I mean that has to be a defective unit.......right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hangouts has been hilarious today. From Jokkir raging about no Nexus 4 image to AJ not being able to boot his Nexus 10. Pure lulz quality today fellas!! LoL

If you want an invite just shoot me a PM. I know Dark already did and got his invite.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

What's bogus? That not wiping data when flashing a factory image can cause issues? Ok then. Can't tell you how many times I've read about people having issues exactly because they've done that, especially when it's a major update like this one.

jesalr

What's bogus? That not wiping data when flashing a factory image can cause issues? Ok then. Can't tell you how many times I've read about people having issues exactly because they've done that, especially when it's a major update like this one.

That was a 'damn, that sucks' rather than 'oh this is unfair'

Keep it chill

Hangouts has been hilarious today. From Jokkir raging about no Nexus 4 image to AJ not being able to boot his Nexus 10. Pure lulz quality today fellas!! LoL

If you want an invite just shoot me a PM. I know Dark already did and got his invite.

Are people who don't reply every 5 minutes still being kicked out?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The biggest disappointment about vanilla 5.0 is that its only available on not so good, not so high end phones.

The Nexus 6 isn't high-end? Ok, you can't really get it yet, but yeah. And the N5 is still pretty high-end. Not highest-end, but it's still rather close to the top. Nothing that has been released after it has been dramatically better.

Groof

I'm in full on fucking denial mode.

There is no way the Nexus 6 is slower than the 5. THERE'S JUST NO WAY. NOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

2014-10-12.gif

Is it at all likely that Motorola will release an updated Moto X in the next 3-6 months with the improvements of the Droid Turbo (battery life and camera specifically)?

I love the Moto X's look and feel more than any other phone I've tried, but the so-so battery and mediocre camera are stopping me from considering buying one. I find the Droid Turbo pretty ugly and I can't get it anyways since I'm not on Verizon. :(

Zeppu

There is no way the Nexus 6 is slower than the 5. THERE'S JUST NO WAY. NOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

2014-10-12.gif

Don't worry dude. Theyre working on making the Nexus 5 slower by rolling out Lollipop. Then the 6 will be faster.

Cheebo

Banned
Is it at all likely that Motorola will release an updated Moto X in the next 3-6 months with the improvements of the Droid Turbo (battery life and camera specifically)?

I love the Moto X's look and feel more than any other phone I've tried, but the so-so battery and mediocre camera are stopping me from considering buying one. I find the Droid Turbo pretty ugly and I can't get it anyways since I'm not on Verizon. :(

The battery and camera improvements in the Turbo are at the physical level. It literally has a bigger battery and better lens than the Moto X 2014.

2014-10-12.gif
The reviews commenting on the slow storage took me by surprise. The screen/batter/camera complains are the norm for Nexus devices. But the storage thing was unexpected.

The battery and camera improvements in the Turbo are at the physical level. It literally has a bigger battery and better lens than the Moto X 2014.
That's what I mean, an actual physically improved version, like a Moto X (2015) edition that has a better camera, as big of a battery they can possibly cram in there, and a 64 GB option.

There were some rumors a few weeks ago about the Droid Turbo coming to At&T and T-Mobile called the Moto X Play or something like that.

2014-10-12.gif
I weep with you. I refuse to believe they dropped the ball this hard.

I can't even try out lollipop since my retarded phone doesn't have support from the community. Everyone enjoy it without me ;_;

Furyous

Looks guys, sure the nexus 6 might have a worse screen and is slower. But it's 1 inch bigger. That makes up the $300-350 difference.

:p

That shit is soul crushing yo. Motorola could've saved an inch off the device and worked to optimize it fully.

Phone can't get any bigger (c) The Verge

How's Android L performance on the Moto G?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Premium products for a premium price.

Because you're gonna notice such a huge difference due to that in stock Android, which is already smooth as hell on the "old" N5? Nope. I don't get the excitement over 64-bit CPUs. It's good that they're coming, don't get me wrong, but for now it's gonna make a minimal (if even noticeable at all) difference. They're not magically gonna make everything run twice as fast, like some people seem to think. Acting like the N6 is already obsolete just because it doesn't have a 64-bit CPU is simply silly. You think the next Galaxy S is gonna provide a smoother experience than the N6? Allow me to giggle.

No, it won't make a huge difference. It really won't. And I would bet quite a lot of money on the S6 not being smoother than the N6 overall. They're gonna TouchWiz it to crap like they always do.

But one of the bottom choices if you care the least bit about the day-to-day software experience.

Bookmarked.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Google's flashing script failed for me (and many others), lol. Never happened before. Had to flash manually instead. Oh well, no biggie, everything is fine!

Yeah, the new Material version is in the final Lollipop release. Nice.

Hangouts is just about the only Google app that still doesn't look Material. Oh well, Messenger is here (but not included in the N5 image, since the default SMS app for this phone is and will remain Hangouts)!

Bookmarked.

:)

HawkeyeIC

So i downloaded the nexus 7 factory images and flashed. I don't know what's up, but the app drawer is still kitkat, and the drawer animation is still kitkat too? how could this be? I don't have Nova installed yet...

Groof

I weep with you. I refuse to believe they dropped the ball this hard.

I can't even try out lollipop since my retarded phone doesn't have support from the community. Everyone enjoy it without me ;_;

At this point I believe it's software related. I mean there's just no way. And considering how poor the whole Lollipop roll out has been, it makes sense.

I'm keeping my pre-order but I'll be keeping a close eye on this shit. If I'm paying this much money for a device it better be fucking stellar. Though the colour calibration is bumming me the fuck OUT. And the reported batter life is scaring me.

npa189

The only way to get 5.0 on the Nexus 5 is to flash it right now? So do I have to go out of my way to backup anything on my current kitkat install? I use google for everything so all my music, photos, contacts, etc should already be in the cloud right? I just sign in on lollipop and it should be there?

JoeFu

Banned
I don't have a computer handy where I am at at the moment, so do I have to wait for the OTA to update my N5? Or is there gonna be an update.zip file I can do through boot loader when that file comes out?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The only way to get 5.0 on the Nexus 5 is to flash it right now? So do I have to go out of my way to backup anything on my current kitkat install? I use google for everything so all my music, photos, contacts, etc should already be in the cloud right? I just sign in on lollipop and it should be there?

Yeah, all that stuff is safe if you have syncing turned on. Doesn't apply to SMS messages though (why, Google, why?!), so make manual backups of those if you want to move them over. And not all app data, such as game saves, gets synced.

At this point I believe it's software related. I mean there's just no way. And considering how poor the whole Lollipop roll out has been, it makes sense.

I'm keeping my pre-order but I'll be keeping a close eye on this shit. If I'm paying this much money for a device it better be fucking stellar. Though the colour calibration is bumming me the fuck OUT. And the reported batter life is scaring me.
I agree word for word. $700 and "it's just okay" is not going to fly with me. And the color calibration caught me off guard. The battery life claims seems to be an issue with software so I hope it will improve.

Unlike you, I will not preorder right now. I have to wait for this storm to subside first.

npa189

Yeah, all that stuff is safe if you have syncing turned on. Doesn't apply to SMS messages though (why, Google, why?!), so make manual backups of those if you want to move them over. And not all app data, such as game saves, gets synced.

Thank you, good to know. I'll be flashing it tonight then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom