• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I agree word for word. $700 and "it's just okay" is not going to fly with me. And the color calibration caught me off guard. The battery life claims seems to be an issue with software so I hope it will improve.

Unlike you, I will not preorder right now. I have to wait for this storm to subside first.

The fact that colour calibration can't be changed with subsequent updates saddens me.

The pre-order I have is very informal. Haven't paid a dime and I can cancel at any time. Don't even have to pick it up if I don't want to. Which is why I'm keeping it.

The fact that colour calibration can't be changed with subsequent updates saddens me.

The pre-order I have is very informal. Haven't paid a dime and I can cancel at any time. Don't even have to pick it up if I don't want to. Which is why I'm keeping it.
How do we know it can't be changed? Or the maximum brightness?

co1onel

No update for my nexus 5
The first rollout only has a 1% chance anyways. I full expect it to be several more days, if not weeks before I get it.

That said, I downloaded the new keyboard and I quite like it. At first I wasn't a fan of the lack of boxes around the letters, but after using it a little while I haven't had any issues pressing the right key. It looks super pretty, and the animations are nice. The dark version is definitely better too.

It feels weird having like half of lollipop on my phone. I just want the full update already.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just flashed my Nexus 7 (2013) with the Lollipop factory image

Started to get all panicked at the first boot after flashing, it's taking so long I thought at first I'd bricked it.

Then I remembered the whole ART bootup/compile deal and started breathing again.

Still booting. Anyone know how long roughly it should take?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Keep Material update
The titles' type look ugly in the widget— too bold, too high. Running it on KitKat/N4.

Edit: does anyone have an Inbox invite by any chance? Completely forgot it's download only.

manfestival

so far I really like the changes made. I have instantly gotten rid of my flashlight and battery apps. My only complaint so far is the integration of google home or whatever its called. Not digging that one bit

also it seems like android L takes up less of my ram than kit kat but that may be a bit premature but so far its that way

Sch1sm

Re: Keep Material update
The titles' type look ugly in the widget— too bold, too high. Running it on KitKat/N4.

Edit: does anyone have an Inbox invite by any chance? Completely forgot it's download only.

Very bold, I agree. Don't know what you mean by "too high," though.

VoxPop

Are there custom ROMs for the Note 4 that turn the phone into stock Android or close to it but retains just the S-Pen functionality and nothing else? Don't need bloat like S-Voice and the split screen multitasking.

Are there custom ROMs for the Note 4 that turn the phone into stock Android or close to it but retains just the S-Pen functionality and nothing else? Don't need bloat like S-Voice and the split screen multitasking.

not yet. and the TW SPen apps won't work, though most 3rd party apps should.

rossonero

So i downloaded the nexus 7 factory images and flashed. I don't know what's up, but the app drawer is still kitkat, and the drawer animation is still kitkat too? how could this be? I don't have Nova installed yet...

Same here, and no Google App is updated to Material Design. If anybody finds a solution please share.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ok, 30 minutes with Lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2013) and I have my first gripe.

I didn't expect it, but I don't like the new keyboard yet, and may never like it.

The lack of any form of divider / key separator makes my typing on it lack confidence, it's hard to explain but I'm finding myself type much slower and I'm double/triple checking each time I have to type something in, even with something as short as a password.

It's odd, but even though the each letter takes up the same (or even more) screen estate, the lack of any visual indication/feedback about where one key's boundary to the next begins send my brain into a hesitant spin with each press.

I'll give it a week or two to try and get used to the change, hopefully it's just new and I'll adapt, but my initial reaction has been a visceral dislike I never imagined.

Osiris

Just to add to the data, after flashing Lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2013) I also have KK's app drawer & animation.

I expect it's part of the image, rather than a problem flashing.

Osiris

Ahh, doh! of course!....

The factory image still uses the old JellyBean launcher, install Google Now launcher for the new app drawer!

Kikarian

Material Design looks great. I had the preview but the full release is even better. The app integration with the material look, looks great to. The Talon twitter app has updated to incorporate the material design into it's UI and it looks great.

Shame about the Nexus 6 being slower having a poorer screen to the 5. So strange

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Flashed my Nexus 5 didn't want to wait. So much better than the previews.

I haven't really noticed anything different from the last preview, except of course that the final release comes with a bunch of Google apps.

Performance issues might be related to the device encryption:

https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/G93J5QELVyj

Oh yeah, that's a thing now. How does that work? Are you forced to select an encryption password on first boot? Also, this seems to be only for new devices shipping with Lollipop. The N5 doesn't get encrypted by default even when flashing the factory image.

diaspora

I sure like being a Nexus 5 owner in Canada.
ByWh2E7.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ahh, doh! of course!....

The factory image still uses the old JellyBean launcher, install Google Now launcher for the new app drawer!

On the N7? Yeah, they seem not to want to replace the defaults, like how the N5 still has Hangouts as the default SMS app (and the N4 still has the old AOSP one, I think?), and you have to manually go get Messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom