• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pipedream of the day:

I'd love to see an official Android ROM section on the Play Store or somewhere online. Almost all phones are using similar hardware (mostly Qualcomm), and it'd be great if I could buy a Sony or LG device and load a Nexus ROM from Google on them, or a Sony ROM on a Nexus. You could buy a Samsung phone if you prefer the hardware, and decide to install another company's ROM on it if you dislike the software. It would be great, and bring Android users even closer together. Kumbaya.

RJM77

Ok, 30 minutes with Lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2013) and I have my first gripe.

I didn't expect it, but I don't like the new keyboard yet, and may never like it.

The lack of any form of divider / key separator makes my typing on it lack confidence, it's hard to explain but I'm finding myself type much slower and I'm double/triple checking each time I have to type something in, even with something as short as a password.

It's odd, but even though the each letter takes up the same (or even more) screen estate, the lack of any visual indication/feedback about where one key's boundary to the next begins send my brain into a hesitant spin with each press.

I'll give it a week or two to try and get used to the change, hopefully it's just new and I'll adapt, but my initial reaction has been a visceral dislike I never imagined.

You can go back to the holo themed keyboards which have a visual space between the keys in the keyboard appearance settings.

co1onel

Ok, 30 minutes with Lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2013) and I have my first gripe.

I didn't expect it, but I don't like the new keyboard yet, and may never like it.

The lack of any form of divider / key separator makes my typing on it lack confidence, it's hard to explain but I'm finding myself type much slower and I'm double/triple checking each time I have to type something in, even with something as short as a password.

It's odd, but even though the each letter takes up the same (or even more) screen estate, the lack of any visual indication/feedback about where one key's boundary to the next begins send my brain into a hesitant spin with each press.

I'll give it a week or two to try and get used to the change, hopefully it's just new and I'll adapt, but my initial reaction has been a visceral dislike I never imagined.

This was my initial reaction, but I just started typing as fast as I do on the old keyboard without a care, and afterwards I found myself without any typos, maybe even less. The keys are still the same size, I think you just have to make your brain used to it.

Furyous

Let's discuss our dream smartphone in honor of the MKBHD Verge collaborative video about Dream Smartphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGggUDolRI

My dream Android smartphone:

SAMOLED QHD display (the 2015 edition fresh from Samsung)
4.7 inches
520 PPI
598 nits brightness (FOH with your sub 420 nit brightness)
Dem LG Bezels aka 77 percent viewable area
3950 Mah battery
128 GB Storage and 128 GB MicroSD support because reasons including digital media content...
Sony image censor
Apple's image processing software
16 Megapixel F/2.4 records 4K video
Cynagenmod's optional software/hardware buttons
Stock Android
I need that Moto X feel with the LG G3 sturdiness mixed with HTC build quality
Stock Android
Runs ART which hopefully causes performance to stay the same for at least three years.
4 GB of RAM
S810

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
ooh, nice, heads up Nexus 7 owners, open up Google Play Movies & TV.

Free copy of Gravity. (Used to be a gift for N5 owners only)

Let's discuss our dream smartphone in honor of the MKBHD Verge collaborative video about Dream Smartphone:

4.7 inches
520 PPI
3950 Mah battery
128 GB Storage and 128 GB MicroSD support because reasons including digital media content...
Sony image censor
Stock Android
Stock Android
Runs ART which hopefully causes performance to stay the same for at least three years.
4 GB of RAM
S810

My dream Android smartphone is already here.

Talon

Ars is the only place talking about pausing and delayed actions. That, combined with the fact that it is the same memory controller as in the MotoX 2014, leads me to assume they have a bad unit.

The screen not being as accurate is disappointing
This assumption that a long-standing publication like Ars Technica wouldn't ask a manufacturer about a defective review unit isn't giving them much credit.

4.7 inches
520 PPI
3950 Mah battery
Sony image censor
Stock Android
Stock Android
4 GB of RAM
S810

HTC One M7 size and build except with not a shitty battery and 64GB storage.

DarkFlow

Banned

I got that like 2 weeks ago on my 7.

Edit: Also if you download the Disney Anywhere App and link your google account you'll get a free copy of Wreck-It Ralph for the play store.

4.7 inches
520 PPI
3950 Mah battery
Sony image censor
Stock Android
Stock Android
4 GB of RAM
S810
Nexus 6 (or Note 4) size; Nexus 6 curvature
OLED display
Very tiny, but not Sharp Aquos level bezels
4000-5000mAh battery
64-bit SoC
3 or 4 GBs of RAM
Stereo front-facing speakers
64GB-128GB internal storage
Stock (or maybe Paranoid) Android

NotBacon

4.7 inches
520 PPI
3950 Mah battery
Sony image censor
Stock Android
Stock Android
4 GB of RAM
S810

Nexus 6 after Lollipop 5.1

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

I don't own any Nexus device and got it free today via an email from Google, so they might be giving it away to everyone.

Hasney

Woo!

Hope the only thing that changes from the current rumors is a bump to 6", otherwise I'd be very happy with those.

I think the 810 will be ready. I personally think that getting the first 810 flagship out to get attention is the best way to end this 6 month cycle for them, so unless they are just jumping the gun, it could work out well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google blew it with the N6. Samsung won.

Hasney

If that's the case, it truly is the darkest timeline. Christ I need to bin this S4 and pretend I never owned a Samsung soon.

If that's the case, it truly is the darkest timeline. Christ I need to bin this S4 and pretend I never owned a Samsung soon.

Dude, did you install the google edition rom yet? That phone isn't that bad with that on there. Lollipop should drop any day for it too.

Only according to Faceless. Let's be honest... The N6 is a premium phone at a premium price. People are just salty because the phone isn't $349 bucks anymore.

premium phones have premium specs and features.

you can summarize every review with "not as good as the Note 4, but it has L" ... yeah, it got an L indeed.

you can get L on a Moto G for $180.

Totally blew it. Shit I guess I better cancel my pre-order.... /s

Aside from the Ars FUD, and Anand's display hate, this shit is receiving rave reviews.

People just want to convince themselves it's bad because they couldn't order/afford one :p
we're calling the reputable sites like Ars and Anand bad now?

And you get a smaller screen, a subpar camera sensor, no premium build, no wireless charging, no QHD, no OIS, no Turbo Charging, etc.

Don't do this Faceless...

you still don't get half that stuff with a 6.

HGStormy

Banned
I currently have an iPhone 6. I miss android. What's my best option? I also have a GS5 and a HTC One M8 in the mail.

Is the Moto X or Z3 compact still worth it or should I just wait for something better? Kind of want something 5" or smaller

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
premium phones have premium specs and features.

you can summarize every review with "not as good as the Note 4, but it has L" ... yeah, it got an L indeed.
Yup. Why get the N6 over a Note 4, hardware wise? It's an L for sure. Premium price for a premium phone. Premium means below average phab battery life, horrid display, par flagship internals, work in progress camera. Someone help me understand the premium. This phone is what I'd expect a $300 Nexus phone to be and I'd be happy.

Google blew it with the N6. Samsung won.

Yup. Why get the N6 over a Note 4, hardware wise? It's an L for sure. Premium price for a premium phone. Premium means below average phab battery life, horrid display, par flagship internals. Someone help me understand the premium. This phone is what I'd expect a $300 Nexus phone to be and I'd be happy.

the 6 'could' get better battery life with an update... the note WILL get L

Groof

This AJ Faceless team up is the worst hyperbole spreading machine I've ever seen. Worse than Osiris astroturfing.

Hasney

Dude, did you install the google edition rom yet? That phone isn't that bad with that on there. Lollipop should drop any day for it too.

Nah, like I said, the phone is dying anyway. I will when the Lollipop builds hit as it's swansong, but the way Samsung treated me when I tried to claim on warranty for the USB port issue, they can burn.

This AJ Faceless team up is the worst hyperbole spreading machine I've ever seen. Worse than Osiris astroturfing.

Not really. I think it's just fair considering the constant shilling and astroturfing from Osiris and NotBacon.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for that 5.0 update. Any time soon, right?

Groof

Not really. I think it's just fair considering the constant shilling and astroturfing from Osiris and NotBacon.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for that 5.0 update. Any time soon, right?
You mean they're here to balance out the force?

Preposterous.

best ___ of any flagship mobile handset released this year where ___ is basically anything. including OS because L is still buggy. that could get fixed in the future on the 6 though, just like camera, battery life, cancer cures, etc... you thought MS was the one who beta tests in the future? Google started the trend.

NotBacon

we're calling the reputable sites like Ars and Anand bad now?

you still don't get half that stuff with a 6.

Yup. Why get the N6 over a Note 4, hardware wise? It's an L for sure. Premium price for a premium phone. Premium means below average phab battery life, horrid display, par flagship internals, work in progress camera. Someone help me understand the premium. This phone is what I'd expect a $300 Nexus phone to be and I'd be happy.

What the fuck am I reading.

Please don't spread misinformation when some people are really trying to decide if they want to get this phone.

reKon

Banned
I've been at training for work all week so I haven't been able to keep up with all the news, but it seems like the Nexus 6 is racking up L's.

So the best phones for 2014 are pretty much the Note 4, Xperia Z3 series phones, iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo?

NotBacon

Okay so I'm not crazy. I really am just reading misinformation and bullshit.

EDIT:
I've been at training for work all week so I haven't been able to keep up with all the news, but it seems like the Nexus 6 is racking up L's.

So the best phones for 2014 are pretty much the Note 4, Xperia Z3 series phones, iPhone 6, and Droid Turbo?

Totally

Groof

After reading several reviews of this thing, the only thing that seems to really be an issue is battery life. Anand's measure of the screen tells us it's poorly calibrated, but whether that's an issue or not is very subjective. Performance isn't where it should be, but who knows why that is.

And we all have to keep in mind, this is probably all running on pre-release software. I'm not trying to defend it, but it's hard to say it fucking sucks when 90% of reviews are more than positive.

XBP

Its quite hard to give one phone the best of 2014 crown when every single device released this year is doing more than a few things wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom