• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

This AJ Faceless team up is the worst hyperbole spreading machine I've ever seen. Worse than Osiris astroturfing.

Actually it is like some sort of weird version of Voltron that when combined, are an evil version of PCTX when it comes to hating on Android.

This thread sucks...

The n6 sucks..

Moto x sucks...

The poster who won't stop yapping about moto x and now won't stop yapping about L ...dude is annoying, he sucks...

lol like I been saying, pure android is always in beta lol..

I had the LG G3 cat 6 the one with a snap 805 and its battery life wasn't any better than the original g3 :(

Im using the Z3 as now and its great overall especially how it manage to last longer than my Z2 ..but Sony is the worst in terms of built quality seriously! Camera sucks still too..the iPhone 6 plus destroys it...

I want to get the droid turbo, the gsm unlock version Moto maxx..need a place to import it from latin america..

HTC should stick to phones not tablets..

I salut Samsung as it has won...

RedFyn

This thread sucks...

The n6 sucks..

Moto x sucks...

The poster who won't stop yapping about moto x and now won't stop yapping about L ...dude is annoying, he sucks...

I had the LG G3 cat 6 the one with a snap 805 and its battery life wasn't any better than the original g3 :(

Im using the Z3 as now and its great overall especially how it manage to last longer than my Z2 ..but Sony is the worst in terms of built quality seriously! Camera sucks still too..the iPhone 6 plus destroys it...

I want to get the droid turbo, the gsm unlock version Moto maxx..need a place to import it from latin america..

I salut samaung as it has won...
But touchwiz sucks...

Groof

This thread sucks...

The n6 sucks..

Moto x sucks...

I've missed you

NotBacon

This thread sucks...

The n6 sucks..

Moto x sucks...

Do you need a glass of water?

You mean they're here to balance out the force?

Preposterous.

Every ying needs a yang. Or something like that. In this case I see AJ and Faceless as the good and the shitty Moto shilling that's been going on for a year as the pure evil that needs to be eradicated. If we have to accept Samsung as our hero to achieve that goal, then so be it.

Drifters

Every ying needs a yang. Or something like that. In this case I see AJ and Faceless as the good and the shitty Moto shilling that's been going on for a year as the pure evil that needs to be eradicated. If we have to accept Samsung as our hero to achieve that goal, then so be it.

Samsung is not our Tony Stark tho.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After reading several reviews of this thing, the only thing that seems to really be an issue is battery life. Anand's measure of the screen tells us it's poorly calibrated, but whether that's an issue or not is very subjective. Performance isn't where it should be, but who knows why that is.

And we all have to keep in mind, this is probably all running on pre-release software. I'm not trying to defend it, but it's hard to say it fucking sucks when 90% of reviews are more than positive.
No one is saying it sucks. I am saying the "premium price for a premium product" is absurd. What's premium about it that we wouldn't have gotten per the past two Nexus launches? We always excused the N4 and N5 issues with the low price. Ok, so here we are with a phone twice the price. Help me understand why paying double leads me to average battery, a completely downgraded display, no tap to wake, an unoptimised camera. I thought the benefit of stock Android is that it's optimized. Is it? Why should I pay $650 for a work in progress? Is Google asking for $300 now and then $300 later when the issues are resolved? These aren't minor issues. I want great battery and a great camera. This premium Nexus doesn't have either. We are here, a year later and twice the price, with the same $300 Nexus issues. It's like Google made this device for carriers, not for us.

Samsung has the go to phone, hardware wise. I get buying the N6 because Nexus but from a pure hardware decision, how is the Nexus a best buy? I mean, the software is usually the thing to get a Nexus for but how is that a premium price thing?

So I realized last night it's theoretically possible to use a 4g tablet as a phone...Using Skype. I didn't know it was possible to get a Skype number which effectively is like having a phone since people can call you from their normal phones.

Anyone have experience with that? Curious to know the call quality and how well it works in the real world etc. In theory it's literally no different to having a phone except you're limited to when you get an internet connection, which is barely a problem since in 99% of cases you have internet when you have phone signal etc. Also no emergency calls, but there are probably alternative methods for that just in case.

I'm being crazy and imagining a Z3 tablet compact as a phone.

Battery life would be pretty sweet as well compared to normal phones and the main benefit would be that juicy screen...

Does this idea only work on paper, or would it work in reality?

Drifters

No one is saying it sucks. I am saying the "premium price for a premium product" is absurd. What's premium about it that we wouldn't have gotten per the past two Nexus launches? We always excused the N4 and N5 issues with the low price. Ok, so here we are with a phone twice the price. Help me understand why paying double leads me to average battery, a completely downgraded display, no tap to wake, an unoptimised camera. I thought the benefit of stock Android is that it's optimized. Is it? Why should I pay $650 for a work in progress? Is Google asking for $300 now and then $300 later when the issues are resolved? These aren't minor issues. I want great battery and a great camera. This premium Nexus doesn't have either. We are here, a year later and twice the price, with the same $300 Nexus issues. It's like Google made this device for carriers, not for us.

Samsung has the go to phone, hardware wise. I get buying the N6 because Nexus but from a pure hardware decision, how is the Nexus a best buy? I mean, the software is usually the thing to get a Nexus for but how is that a premium price thing?

So by this logic you're saying the Note 4 which, in your opinion, is the better phone per dollar is the better buy even though it costs more than the Nexus 6?

Groof

Was it so hard to actually post something proper other than an attempt to derail and troll?

Your concerns are warranted, the issues are real but many are saying it's a flop. You included.

I think people are being too hard on Google, because it's Google. If we look at any other flagship device they're all riddled with issues. Be it screen, camera, battery, build or software. Yet these devices all go for a lot more than the Nexus 6 when they're released! Even the Note 4 isn't perfect. But the Note 4 isn't a flop because it isn't Google.

I'm starting to feel like a shill now, but let's at least try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.

don't get me wrong i hate when people straight shill on samsung, but fuck if i don't want a Note 4. just wish att wouldn't lock it down and basically kill dev on the thing. i like the feel and design better than the 6 and i love IR ports...shit just works for me.

but i have wanted a nexus phone for a while now. shame that it has to be 6 inches and be a giant version of an ugly phone. other than that i'm happy with it. was always worried about the display because i got burned with the G3.

i think im about 69% N6 AND 31% Note 4 right now. If google keeps me from getting a midnight 64gb for too much longer, i'll just get a Note 4. Gotta make that shit available to purchase fuckers. with your bullshit ass preorders. and only T Mo carrying a 64gb version (and not even in stores). i'm pretty upset about that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So by this logic you're saying the Note 4 which, in your opinion, is the better phone per dollar is the better buy even though it costs more than the Nexus 6?
I thought you were all about the premium price for a premium phone. Now you're using price as an excuse for the Nexus 6? SD card, wacom digitizer, lte a bands, objectively better screen. Hell, Samsung just gave out $200 rebates for the phone, too.

Was it so hard to actually post something proper other than an attempt to derail and troll?

Your concerns are warranted, the issues are real but many are saying it's a flop. You included.

I think people are being too hard on Google, because it's Google. If we look at any other flagship device they're all riddled with issues. Be it screen, camera, battery, build or software. Yet these devices all go for a lot more than the Nexus 6 when they're released! Even the Note 4 isn't perfect. But the Note 4 isn't a flop because it isn't Google.

I'm starting to feel like a shill now, but let's at least try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum.
It is a flop. The Nexus 4 and 5 were excusable because of low price. Their drawbacks were only battery, camera, and maybe maybe build quality. But now you're paying twice the price for the same issues as the old ones in addition to a downgraded screen. How is that not a flop?

Groof

It is a flop. The Nexus 4 and 5 were excusable because of low price. Their drawbacks were only battery, camera, and maybe maybe build quality. But now you're paying twice the price for the same issues as the old ones in addition to a downgraded screen. How is that not a flop?
A flop is when something released and doesn't sell. This hasn't even been released yet. We don't know how it'll look in a month's time.

Saying it's the same issues all over again is ridiculous. The camera is far and beyond the capabilities of the Nexus 5, it's not even s contest. Low light is an issue, but it's impossible that will keep on being one.

Battery? Sure, not the best first impressions but that could also change. Just like the Nexus 4 and 5.

Build quality is the one thing praised unanimously. How is this an issue?

The screen is subjective beyond the worrying brightness.

Groof

Groof, bro. You're in denial. First step is acceptance.
I know I am. But I'm silly enough to think I can try to get people to not spout a bunch of hyperbolic nonsense and actually be diplomatic.

In my eyes, the Nexus 6 is a disappointment. Not a failure, just a poor showing. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it's the only device appealing to me right now other than the Z3.

And why should I care about the Z3 when the 4 is out right around the corner.

rossonero

- Did you install Google Now Launcher?
- Is every app fully updated?
- Did you get your image from here?

Oh duh, should've thought of GNL myself. That fixed it and I've upgraded every Google app.

I got a rooted Lollipop ROM on my G3 and it has never been smoother. I'm not surprised though that LG, at least in the version that I have, have only done as little as possible to upgrade the OS to Lollipop. The only apps that have heads up notification are Hangouts and Messenger, which should mean that other apps aren't updated for it. Surprised Gmail doesn't have heads up notificarions though.

There is also minimal control over notifications, no LG apps are updated to Material Design and I was disappointed to see that the camera app isn't updated either.

The phone is smoother than ever though and I love the animations. Some are clunky, as for an example when selecting a sms thread in Messenger, but the majority are awesome. I'm on my aecond charge cycle now and the first gave me 4 hours of SoT which is less than I had on KitKat but will give it a couple of cycles more.

terrier

And you get a smaller screen, a subpar camera sensor, no premium build, no wireless charging, no QHD, no OIS, no Turbo Charging, much weaker SoC, etc.

Don't do this Faceless...

not that i fully agree with faceless, and i own a note 4 , but nexus 6 falls a little short compared to top devices. However that is also true for other flagships with premium prices, see shitty camera on m8 for example. Maybe nexus 6 isn't terribad on anything but seems to be below expectations on a number of features, maybe can be fixed by software, hopefully.
But for now, and considering its price, other phones may have de edge.

markot

Banned
I was expecting more.

New generations are getting kind of feh. Slightly faster processors and slightly better cameras... I demand greater leaps.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My Nexus 7 gets an error during updating OTA to 4.4.3 every time. I've rooted, maybe this is the reason? I haven't had the 5.0 update come through OTA but I'm not hopeful. Pretty annoying!

terrier

Samsung will never win as long as it keeps Touch Wiz.

well, they only have to make it lighter, and while it is an issue on mid range and low end devices, on high end phones lag and stuttering is less noticeable and obviously not a problem for normal users.
And has some features that should be standard for stock android, a number of them.
Plus on the hardware side, Note 4 has arguably a number of features that Nexus 6 does not: finger print scanner, sd slot, removable battery, s-pen/wacom digitzer, and those 'useless' features like SpO2/UV/heart rate sensor. Plus a better camera and better screen.
If you consider value, Note 4 has the edge.Not that Nexus 6 is bad, but it one or two step behind, and if you are willing to spend $$$, well, you should expect as close to perfection as possible.
Not a single flagship is perfect though, and subjective things do matter.

Z3, and Z3c hit all the right Notes.

Yes. My first Android phone, and I have no complaints. Everything is as smooth as iOS and more.

My only regret is whether I should've got a Z Ultra or waited for a Nexus 6, but considering that I can barely use the Z3 with one hand, it was probably for the best that I didn't. Also *dat battery life and SD storage will be useful, and though I'm not that much of a camera person, I do often use the flashlight, which the Z Ultra weirdly lacks.

However there is no doubt that if a Z3 Ultra did exist then I would have got that without thinking.

terrier

Z3, and Z3c hit all the right Notes.

they did a lot right, but despite having the most MP sensor, the camera isn't up to expectations, probably due to software. Also SoC is not the best out there but still great.
I choose the note4 because spen and huge screen, but the other option to replace my n5 as daily driver was the z3.
Now that i have chosen, i think i was right, size is an issue now and then, but when i hold my n5 feels sooooooooo tiny , like a toy, so bigger screen vs waterproff (and a tad too big bezels).
Z3 series vs Note 4 are the way to go for android high end devices right now.

Doopliss

I noticed a nice little Lollipop feature that I wasn't previously aware of in The Verge's video review. When you adjust brightness from the quick settings the notification shade fades out so you can judge how bright you want it from the actual content you're viewing. That's one of the reasons I really like status bar brightness control in Cyanogenmod.

I noticed a nice little Lollipop feature that I wasn't previously aware of in The Verge's video review. When you adjust brightness from the quick settings the notification shade fades out so you can judge how bright you want it from the actual content you're viewing. That's one of the reasons I really like status bar brightness control in Cyanogenmod.

Wow that's a great feature. It sounds so simple yet you think to yourself how the fuck didn't this exist before?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Unless I make a move during the Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend I think my new idea is to try and tough it out. I've waited this long that if I can just make it like 5 more months I'll just get whatever the M9 ends up being from HTC unless the GS6 really is a big redesign like the rumors.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If you were to ask me what the best Android phone is at the moment, I'd say:

Z3 and Oppo Find 7

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What gets lost during a factory reset that can't be restored by signing in with a Google account?

App settings and data and locally saved files

And SMS messages, unless you use Google Voice. They're the one thing I have to remember to manually backup before flashing.

App data and settings can be restored if the app supports it, but unfortunately the support for that isn't very widespread yet AFAIK.

Nicktendo86

I don't understand how google can't calibrate the N6 screen after going such a good job with the N7 2013. I just cannot get my head around that. Calibrating the screen makes such a massive fucking difference.

Unless I make a move during the Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend I think my new idea is to try and tough it out. I've waited this long that if I can just make it like 5 more months I'll just get whatever the M9 ends up being from HTC unless the GS6 really is a big redesign like the rumors.
I think this is me as well. I'll probably just wait it out unless I see a good Nexus 6 deal on Amazon during the holidays. Doubt it though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really liking Messenger. Being able to archive conversations is great, lets you get them out of the way without outright deleting them.

These bad battery life and performance issues are pointing to L. What happens when the note 4 gets the current L release and inherits the worse speed battery life?

It could get worse than the nexus 6...

Just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom