• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Why do people inflict Live Wallpapers on their battery?

I personally like Tapet, random, procedurally generated wallpapers with very very low resource overhead.

Zeppu

Has anyone managed to sideload the Nexus 9 OTA upate?

You know, a performance decrease isn't exactly something I'd expect from 5.0. But neither did I expect it from 4.2, when I updated my GN.

Thanks for making me all negative and pessimistic, Zeppu.

Despite all my talk I'm sidedloading it on the N5 as we speak. My rose-tinted glasses for Google have disappeared recently so I'll be giving coming with honest opinions later on. Besides, hoping for the worst is usually the only way to not leave disappointed when it comes to Nexii. It might not be so bad.

RedFyn

Why do people inflict Live Wallpapers on their battery?

I personally like Tapet, random, procedurally generated wallpapers with very very low resource overhead.
That's cool. Although I feel like it might pick ones I don't like too often. I'm assuming that hasn't been a problem for you?

Didn't think about this either.
Yeah, I wish it didn't annoy me but it does. A gpe note 4 would be very nice. But I don't think I could handle the hardware. :/

the Nexus 6 is a B+ player in a field filled with A's and an A+ Note 4.

not all professors give extra points for handing in homework early.
What does this even mean?

Also do you have a source on that Motorola g quick charging. I was under the impression that it didn't support it.

gcubed

Has anyone managed to sideload the Nexus 9 OTA upate?

Despite all my talk I'm sidedloading it on the N5 as we speak. My rose-tinted glasses for Google have disappeared recently so I'll be giving coming with honest opinions later on. Besides, hoping for the worst is usually the only way to not leave disappointed when it comes to Nexii. It might not be so bad.

hoping for the best will still leave you pleasantly surprised if this is your first time playing with lollipop. Its that good.

NotBacon

Also do you have a source on that Motorola g quick charging. I was under the impression that it didn't support it.

Faceless backing up his claims? Don't be silly.

Now where were we? Oh yeah,

Down with Nexus 6! It's subpar because reasons! These 2 guys kinda said so and I heard rumor saying it kills kittens!
What? Every single other person says it's a killer phone? Down with the kitten killer!

manfestival

I tried the nova launcher and liked it a lot. In fact, I think the 1080p resolution on my screen is super slick. 720p isnt bad by any means but I do like my icons looking a tad smaller.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How do you silence notifications on Lollipop? I can only lower the volume to vibrate. I can't click volume down again to get to silent. I don't want to turn off notifications with Do Not Disturb.

How do you silence notifications on Lollipop? I can only lower the volume to vibrate. I can't click volume down again to get to silent. I don't want to turn off notifications with Do Not Disturb.
Have you tried tapping the bell icon? I think I saw someone do that in a video. Could be wrong.

RJM77

Much like how they highlight Editor's Choice and tablet optimized apps in the play store, it would be cool to also highlight apps that have updated to the latest and greatest $design language. Maybe it'd get developers to redesign quicker for the added exposure in the Play store.

Toki767

Much like how they highlight Editor's Choice and tablet optimized apps in the play store, it would be cool to also highlight apps that have updated to the latest and greatest $design language. Maybe it'd get developers to redesign quicker for the added exposure in the Play store.

I'm pretty much convinced that the super popular stuff like the official Twitter/Facebook/Instagram apps are never going to change to Material Design even though they'll change to iOS 7's new style as soon as possible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Weirdly, I don't think there actually is a "silent" mode. Guess they thought that if you want neither sound nor vibrations, you probably want DND.

Groof

I don't get it. I still get notifications when I have the Priority setting on my Nexus 7. No sounds, but they still pop up. What's the problem?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Have you tried tapping the bell icon? I think I saw someone do that in a video. Could be wrong.
Yep. Doesn't work. I tweeted an Android writer. He said I have to turn notifications to none. So... weak.

Weirdly, I don't think there actually is a "silent" mode. Guess they thought that if you want neither sound nor vibrations, you probably want DND.

So weak. This approach isn't useful for tablets.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm gonna start a riot here unless Lollipop is out in Swedenland. I tried looking for a chart with regions and ETAs for its release but nothin'. Damn you Motorola and your lack of presence in Sweden.

It looks so slick :'(. Except I kinda like seeing my bg when in the app drawer.

I'm pretty much convinced that the super popular stuff like the official Twitter/Facebook/Instagram apps are never going to change to Material Design even though they'll change to iOS 7's new style as soon as possible.

Didn't Facebook change the app to fit in better on Windows Phone? I mean it's WP, if they did it there I don't see them keeping the FB app as it is.

If there's one thing I miss from my Lumia, it's the Facebook app.

Zeppu

hoping for the best will still leave you pleasantly surprised if this is your first time playing with lollipop. Its that good.

Nah I had tried the first dev preview but reverted because it used to get too hot.

This is actually pretty good. Much better than the dev preview (as expected) but I'm happy to see it's better than the Nexus 9 as well. Feels much more responsive overall. Tried doing things simultaneously and the N5 was opening apps and going back home faster than the N9. I think if the Nexus 9 OTA update brings this performance I'll be significantly happier with the tablet.

Facebook and Twitter both are actually holo at the moment, but I don't expect them to be materialized any time soon. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

And if one did, it's more likely to be Twitter.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know this gets asked a lot but bear with me brehs.

I'm retiring my Nexus 4 this Christmas, and I've been keeping my eyes on the phablet market for my next upgrade (my iPad was recently stolen and I want to consolidate). My top three criteria are Camera, battery, and at a relatively distant third, software.

When the iPhone 6 Plus was announced, I thought that was going to be my next phone, a natural choice considering the improvements iOS has made since 2012 and needing an iPad replacement (taking advantage of the ecosystem investment I made over the years). Plus it has a good balance of camera and battery.

When Nexus 6 was announced I changed my mind and thought for sure *that* was my next phone— I like stock Android best, Lollipop looked amazing, and the camera and battery seemed to have finally been overhauled. It was a no brainer. Then the reviews came out and I started reconsidering.

My final choice is the Note 4. Beastly on almost all fronts. But I hate, hate, hate TouchWiz. Lollipop doesn't look nearly as good on it too (unless I'm misremembering leaks/previews). And as far as a I know there's no Google Play edition. I'm also not big on rooting/modding/flashing.

So what do you guys think? Price isn't a big issue.

Wreav

Banned
Gonna be straight with you...the iOS reach-ability feature is pretty great (soft double-tap on home button) and something Android isn't even close to copying. Could be a game changer for you on a phab. My suggestion would be to wait till you can demo the N6 side by side with a 6+. Those are probably your two best options, only because Touchwiz blows so many goats. In many ways, Samsung is making the best phones on the market right now, but I can't abide by Touchwiz. It's garbage.

I'm finding iOS 8 to be 95% as capable as KitKat...just with no file management. You'll have to decide how important that is to you.

That being said, Android 5.0 is looking like a monumental step forward with app pinning, guest mode, RAW picture output, etc. If you can handle no reach-ability support and a battery that's about 40% worse, the N6 might be up your alley.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Gonna be straight with you...the iOS reach-ability feature is pretty great (soft double-tap on home button) and something Android isn't even close to copying. Could be a game changer for you on a phab
The Note series has been doing this for a long time and it works quite well. There's also a slide in menu that you can place in any corner of the screen that has useful buttons like back, home, and recent apps if you're using the phone one handed and it's incredibly useful. Let's not even talk about the multitasking you can do in it which is awesome.

Samsung is unmatched when it comes to phablet features IMO.

gcubed

Nah I had tried the first dev preview but reverted because it used to get too hot.

This is actually pretty good. Much better than the dev preview (as expected) but I'm happy to see it's better than the Nexus 9 as well. Feels much more responsive overall. Tried doing things simultaneously and the N5 was opening apps and going back home faster than the N9. I think if the Nexus 9 OTA update brings this performance I'll be significantly happier with the tablet.

well I'm assuming the N9 suffers from the same thing the N6 suffers from. The mandatory encryption ruins storage access speed currently.

The first dev preview was still mostly kitkat, the 2nd one was L, so yeah, its definitely a big jump from the first preview build

And from another poster ---

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Googl...ning-the-Photo-scores-in-a-little-more-detail

Nexus 6 is tied for the best "picture" camera available in Android land with the Z3 (2 points behind the iphone6)... they haven't reviewed the Note 4 yet though, so i expect this to change at some point. It gets hit for some issues on video recording.

tzare

Gonna be straight with you...the iOS reach-ability feature is pretty great (soft double-tap on home button) and something Android isn't even close to copying. Could be a game changer for you on a phab. My suggestion would be to wait till you can demo the N6 side by side with a 6+. Those are probably your two best options, only because Touchwiz blows so many goats. In many ways, Samsung is making the best phones on the market right now, but I can't abide by Touchwiz. It's garbage.

I'm finding iOS 8 to be 95% as capable as KitKat...just with no file management. You'll have to decide how important that is to you.

That being said, Android 5.0 is looking like a monumental step forward with app pinning, guest mode, RAW picture output, etc. If you can handle no reach-ability support and a battery that's about 40% worse, the N6 might be up your alley.

Just for knowledge, but Samsung's double swype that shrinks screen for one handed use seems at least as good as apple's solution, and even better imo, since you keep seeing all content unlike apple's way which you loose half screen. That is an awesome feature from that 'garbage' you call touchwiz. Probably because it is from samsung it is ignored or overlooked, as happens with multitasking which is great too.

Du8oV6b.jpg

By the way, did encryption affect performance on previous android versions? Why is an issue now?

gcubed

Just for knowledge, but Samsung's double swype that shrinks screen for one handed use seems at least as good as apple's solution, and even better imo, since you keep seeing all content unlike apple's way which you loose half screen. That is an awesome feature from that 'garbage' you call touchwiz. Probably because it is from samsung it is ignored or overlooked, as happens with multitasking which is great too.

By the way, did encryption affect performance on previous android versions? Why is an issue now?

multitasking is never overlooked. I really hoped that by selling a phablet, Google would have rolled it into lollipop. Very disappointed its not in the OS with a 6" phone being your nexus device. That and the s-pen is what makes a note stand above all the imitators. I don't really care about the s-pen THAT much, but they really really need multi window

and encryption was never enabled before L... and its not enabled on anything that isn't L from the factory, so right now, its just on by default on the N6 and N9. If you voluntarily turn it on the N5, you get the same degradation.

Hasney

That wouldn't be a game changer on a phab, I have manly hands and can use 6" one handed.

Think that is my limit though. Will. Need that when 6.5" phones roll around.

EDIT: By multitasking, do you mean that dual window shit Samsung does? If it's being hyped as a positive, I guess they improved it from the shitty implementation in the GS4 then?

yyzjohn

Banned
For anyone that flashed the stock lollipop image on your nexus 5, turn off Google location reporting, that shit eats battery, just realized today it was on.

tzare

That wouldn't be a game changer on a phab, I have manly hands and can use 6" one handed.

Think that is my limit though. Will. Need that when 6.5" phones roll around.

EDIT: By multitasking, do you mean that dual window shit Samsung does? If it's being hyped as a positive, I guess they improved it from the shitty implementation in the GS4 then?
Yes, it has been improved, a lot, it is true multitasking.
Here 4 apps running at once, one of them, GMusic minimized, three on windows, one of them being the camera working flawlessly

And spen is really unbeaten and for some, what makes note series something more than a big screen phone.

As for encryption, i meant it was possible on previous android versions, so anyone who enabled it could tell if performance took a hit, which is the case for L

hitsugi

Faceless backing up his claims? Don't be silly.

Now where were we? Oh yeah,

Down with Nexus 6! It's subpar because reasons! These 2 guys kinda said so and I heard rumor saying it kills kittens!
What? Every single other person says it's a killer phone? Down with the kitten killer!

The very same reviews say the N6 is not as good as or better than the competing flagship phones in several respects. Stop exaggerating.

Wreav

Banned
Here 4 apps running at once, one of them, GMusic minimized, three on windows, one of them being the camera working flawlessly

And spen is really unbeaten and for some, what makes note series something more tjat a big screen phone.
That looks awful. Your productivity hasn't increased if only one app is in the foreground and smaller than fullscreen. As is usual the case with Touchwiz phones, you can't buy good taste.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love the S pen. I figured I wasn't going to get much use out of it, but I use it frequently. Selecting text with it is so awesome as well as taking info clips from sites and saving them to read for later. Really useful stuff.

tzare

That looks awful. Your productivity hasn't increased if only one app is in the foreground and smaller than fullscreen. As is usual the case with Touchwiz phones, you can't buy good taste.
Isn't that how Windows pcs have worked forever? How are you supposed to work with 2 or more apps at the same time? Could you enlighten me?

Yeah, I played with the Note 4 at Best Buy today. It's a pretty nice phone. Screen looks good, pen feels good to use, device is well made and designed nicely. Such a huge upgrade from the shit slime, glossy plastic and ugly ass purple-blue design they used for the GS3.

A GPE version would be killer and I'd easily take that over a Nexus 6.

Hasney

And spen is really unbeaten and for some, what makes note series something more tjat a big screen phone.

As for encryption, i meant it was possible on previous android versions, so anyone who enabled it could tell if performance took a hit, which is the case for L

Ah cool. Yeah, the GS4 crap on here just splits the screen and let's me choose which 2 terrible Samsung apps I want to use. Glad it is useful now!

I don't know, those apps are all over the place. Although you can rearrange the size so there's that.

Yeah, I played with the Note 4 at Best Buy today. It's a pretty nice phone. Screen looks good, pen feels good to use, device is well made and designed nicely. Such a huge upgrade from the shit slime, glossy plastic and ugly ass purple-blue design they used for the GS3.

A GPE version would be killer and I'd easily take that over a Nexus 6.

The note is quite nice yes. I can one hand it nicely and the phone is large enough so that when I use the keyboard my thumbs don't play thumb war. A GPE is unlikely though.

tzare

Ah cool. Yeah, the GS4 crap on here just splits the screen and let's me choose which 2 terrible Samsung apps I want to use. Glad it is useful now!
Yes i own a note 8 too ,and has that old gimped multitasking, i hardly used it except for youtube while browsing gaf when E3.
Now i use it way more, especially the minimized app, like in that pic with gmusic, stays on top of screen no matter what you do to have fast access. I wish samsung ported it to old note devices.
I don't know, those apps are all over the place. Although you can rearrange the size so there's that.
it was just a screenshot to show how it works now.

one typical use for me is having camera minimized when doing something else so it loads almost instantly if i need it when i am with my daugthers as i take pics of them all the time

Wreav

Banned
The app switcher is a much more graceful solution. You have nothing but static data open. This isn't an analog to using a PC at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom