• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

The app switcher is a much more graceful solution. You have nothing but static data open. This isn't an analog to using a PC at all.
Not sure what you mean, but i find it useful and convenient, that is all i care about. And works great. Surfing the web or watching a stream while whatsapping is great.

NotBacon

I know this gets asked a lot but bear with me brehs.

I'm retiring my Nexus 4 this Christmas, and I've been keeping my eyes on the phablet market for my next upgrade (my iPad was recently stolen and I want to consolidate). My top three criteria are Camera, battery, and at a relatively distant third, software.

Nexus 6:
+ Great camera
+ Great battery life
+ Solid build
+ Dual front speakers
+ Amazing software
- No micro SD
- Max brightness not as max as others
- Performance issues (due to encryption, the Android team is looking into it)

Note 4:
+ Even better camera, on par or better than iPhone
+ Even better battery life
+ Also solid build
+ Additional phablet software features
+ Really nice screen
- TouchWiz
- Performance issues (due to TW)

You should add performance issues due to encryption for n6 :p
Haha, true. But can't encryption be turned off? You can't turn TouchWiz off! :D

As I've said in the past, I like a few of the features Samsung adds (multi window, s pen), but most of them are crap.

Edit: Just thought about it, but didn't someone in this thread some weeks back predict encryption would affect performance because the processor or something wouldn't be as good as Apple's?

tzare

Haha, true. But can't encryption be turned off? You can't turn TouchWiz off! :D

As I've said in the past, I like a few of the features Samsung adds (multi window, s pen), but most of them are crap.

Edit: Just thought about it, but didn't someone in this thread some weeks back predict encryption would affect performance because the processor or something wouldn't be as good as Apple's?
I wish touchwiz was lighter or could turn on/off its features. But i have to deal with it. It is like having an iphone, you have to deal with iOS :p

I am waiting for further info on this encryption issue, hopefully you can turn it off. Anyone with n6/9 has tried that yet and tested performance?

gcubed

Why would I ever want to have location reporting on?? Location mode in battery saving is good enough I don't need constant location history.

well you didn't say battery savings, you said turn it off... and even then, with battery savings you lessen some of the most useful parts of the phone.

tzare - you can't turn off encryption on the 6 and 9. They should be able to hardware accel both the processors, and even google said it was going to be hardware accelerated... not sure what happened in the mean time

NotBacon

Edited my post.

There are 2 things to consider here:
1. The encryption hindrance isn't nearly as bad as the TouchWiz hindrance.
2. It's been acknowledged by the Android team and they're looking into the problem.

yyzjohn

Banned
well you didn't say battery savings, you said turn it off... and even then, with battery savings you lessen some of the most useful parts of the phone.

tzare - you can't turn off encryption on the 6 and 9. They should be able to hardware accel both the processors, and even google said it was going to be hardware accelerated... not sure what happened in the mean time

I guess I want clear enough. Even if you put location into "battery saving" (which I do) you still have "Google location reporting" turned on, you have to go into that setting and turn that off.

I wish touchwiz was lighter or could turn on/off its features. But i have to deal with it. It is like having an iphone, you have to deal with iOS :p

I am waiting for further info on this encryption issue, hopefully you can turn it off. Anyone with n6/9 has tried that yet and tested performance?

I haven't tried on my nexus 9 BC performance has been fantastic.

gcubed

I guess I want clear enough. Even if you put location into "battery saving" (which I do) you still have "Google location reporting" turned on, you have to go into that setting and turn that off.

but by doing that, you basically render the best parts of the phone useless

tzare

Wow, then it is an issue right now. I really hope google fixes it. Or at least allows a disabling option. Any knowledge if all SoCs support this by hardware. Could be a huge problem for mid and low end devices.
I haven't tried on my nexus 9 BC performance has been fantastic.
Great to know, let's see what happens when lots of nexus6 are on people's hands and not only media.

pd. Notbacon, didn't samsung make a deal with Google to reduce TW on their devices? Maybe on android L we can see a less intrusive TW

Jigolo

Note 4 is no doubt the best phone of 2014. The only flaw IMO is touchwiz. I'm saying that as a person who has never owned a Galaxy or Note device.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, then it is an issue right now. I really hope google fixes it. Or at least allows a disabling option. Any knowledge if all SoCs support this by hardware. Could be a huge problem for mid and low end devices.

Great to know, let's see what happens when lots of nexus6 are on people's hands and not only media.

pd. Notbacon, didn't samsung make a deal with Google to reduce TW on their devices? Maybe on android L we can see a less intrusive TW

TouchWiz on Lollipop does look better than the current version (not that that's saying much, as large parts of what they have now are absolutely hideous), but still much worse than stock. I just can't believe they actually think their changes look better than what Google has designed. Maybe they don't (if they're sane), maybe they just have to be different for the sake of being different. And as long as they keep doing that, I won't be buying their phones.

kehs

Banned
Well, i see a very fluid ui there, and nothing special, custom launcher and own apps, as most oems. The clue is what is going on in the background. We will see in a month i guess. I hope they take the sony path and make it lighter. Just a wish though...

People cant see past the Samsung name. That preview really isn't that bad.

VoxPop

ugh Touchwiz.

I wonder how long till you can get a stock Android rom w/ s-pen support on these devices to make them worthwhile.

All I can see is all the horrible products Samsung has made in the background.

Why do they insist on messing up something Google worked so hard on.

Do people actually use the S-Apps and like their UI?

tzare

Agree. I guess they have been very intruive in the past, and i agree, my note8 feels the weight of TW,should perform much better, my wife's s4+ is not that bad, and my note4 performs well most of the time. But still a step behind stock android. I hope they keep closing the gap. I run GEL on my note4 though,i miss my n5 abit less that way but what i miss the most are on screen buttons .
Do people actually use the S-Apps and like their UI?

Spen apps are great, others not so much. Samsung's calendar is great though, as is its widget. The UI ain't that different, allows app drawer edition and folders and transitions can be changed, as in nova for example. The worst thing are icons, phone one is awful. And the options menu is huge, but also offers a lot of options. And on note4 , not on m wife's s4, you can choose layouts and you have one which is decent and close to stock.
I am no expert, but i think tw issues with performance are due to lots off background blost apps running and not related to how it looks like.

Wreav

Banned

I had a G-Nex, S3, S4, and S5. I'm well aware of the shit heap that is Touchwiz. I'm done with it. This is about engineers and decision makers in Korea who have no taste for western design trends shitting all over great hardware year after year after year.

yyzjohn

Banned
ah, i misunderstood with the history.

I still count on my history information a lot with Google Now though

Yeah if you use it then it's worth it just wanted to point out to others that it's on by default when you set up brand new. Can save battery if you don't really need it.

Wreav

Banned
Why do they insist on messing up something Google worked so hard on.

Look at Google's beautiful new dialer.

nexus-6-lollipop-dialer.jpg

Look at the abortion that is the Touchwiz 5.0 dialer. Not material design, ugly colors, just awful. JESUS FUCK WHY IS THE DELETE BUTTON BLUE IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS GREEN?!

That Pocketnow review is good. Also, I never knew people cared so much about the look of the back of a phone or tablet, something that's rarely seen by the user.

Edit:
Stuff like this should not be tolerated. And this isn't the first time it's happened either. The N10 had a similar issue, though this seems worse.

My back does not flex like that or looks that disgusting, no joke. Seriously, the nexus logo is hard when I push on it.

Clearly there is QC issues at the manufacturer if that many people are getting duds. Glad I didn't.

That Pocketnow review is good. Also, I never knew people cared so much about the look of the back of a phone or tablet, something that's rarely seen by the user.

Im guessing its not helping that all the cases are backordered a month so.

Either way, if your back sucks take it back to the store and get a different one. Problem solved. I love how the material feels and that it isn't freezing like my metal ultrabook.

I know this gets asked a lot but bear with me brehs.

I'm retiring my Nexus 4 this Christmas, and I've been keeping my eyes on the phablet market for my next upgrade (my iPad was recently stolen and I want to consolidate). My top three criteria are Camera, battery, and at a relatively distant third, software.

When the iPhone 6 Plus was announced, I thought that was going to be my next phone, a natural choice considering the improvements iOS has made since 2012 and needing an iPad replacement (taking advantage of the ecosystem investment I made over the years). Plus it has a good balance of camera and battery.

When Nexus 6 was announced I changed my mind and thought for sure *that* was my next phone— I like stock Android best, Lollipop looked amazing, and the camera and battery seemed to have finally been overhauled. It was a no brainer. Then the reviews came out and I started reconsidering.

My final choice is the Note 4. Beastly on almost all fronts. But I hate, hate, hate TouchWiz. Lollipop doesn't look nearly as good on it too (unless I'm misremembering leaks/previews). And as far as a I know there's no Google Play edition. I'm also not big on rooting/modding/flashing.

So what do you guys think? Price isn't a big issue.

get the iPhone 6+

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why the F do YouTube links still open on the mobile site rather than the app for me? Thought for sure that would be fixed by now. Am I the only one with this issue?

That's cool. Although I feel like it might pick ones I don't like too often. I'm assuming that hasn't been a problem for you?

Yeah, I wish it didn't annoy me but it does. A gpe note 4 would be very nice. But I don't think I could handle the hardware. :/

What does this even mean?

Also do you have a source on that Motorola g quick charging. I was under the impression that it didn't support it.

saw it on Reddit

I love how Samsung clearly thinks that Material Design = Solid bright colors.

Absolutely no fucks given about the layering or the animations.

So hilariously inept and ugly. So perfectly Samsung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom