• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

So ugly
2aTu9c6.png

get the iPhone 6+
When you of all people say that...
sYv1OYk.png

I'm really hoping the Android team pull a miracle N6 update before the end of the year.

RedFyn

Why the F do YouTube links still open on the mobile site rather than the app for me? Thought for sure that would be fixed by now. Am I the only one with this issue?
Am I the only one that prefers this? I like being able to send them to the background for watching later.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Clear defaults on the browser.

This is a brand new flash of Lollipop (well, since last night), Chrome doesn't even have any defaults set.

Am I the only one that prefers this? I like being able to send them to the background for watching later.

I don't like watching stuff on the mobile site, the app gives a much nicer viewing experience.

What browser do you use? Dolphin used to be terrible at properly opening apps for me.

Chrome.

sca2511

Why the F do YouTube links still open on the mobile site rather than the app for me? Thought for sure that would be fixed by now. Am I the only one with this issue?

This happens to me when using other browsers rather than Chrome (FF/Opera), which is one of the reasons why i'm still using it.

Fatalah

Is there a way to disable calendar notifications of an Exchange calendar?

I've configured the calendar to have "No Notifications", but event reminders still pop up!

co1onel

You probably clicked the always open in browser option if you're using chrome.

edit: nvm I just tried clicking a youtube link and it took me to the browser version without asking. Really weird, it always asked me on kitkat.

On an unrelated note, I'm still really bothered by having the chrome tabs in the recent apps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Regular chrome or beta? I think I remember reading about a problem with beta doing it.

Have a link as an example.

Regular Chrome, the one that comes with Lollipop. You're right that on the Lollipop preview the beta exhibited this problem while the stable version didn't, but now the stable version is doing it too.

Actually, something that's a bit odd is that on the preview only Chrome Beta had the "tabs-as-apps" feature, the stable version didn't. But now the stable version that comes with the final Lollipop release does. And it also has this YouTube issue that only the beta did previously. It's like what comes with Lollipop is some weird in-between version. It shows up as regular Chrome in the Play Store, with the beta listed separately (and not installed).

I don't know what's going on here, but it sure is annoying.

You probably clicked the always open in browser option if you're using chrome.

edit: nvm I just tried clicking a youtube link and it took me to the browser version without asking. Really weird, it always asked me on kitkat.

On an unrelated note, I'm still really bothered by having the chrome tabs in the recent apps.

Yeah, there you go. Clearing defaults does nothing, there's just no way to make YouTube links open in the app.

You can disable that setting, you know. I like it though. It felt a bit odd when I first tried it (with Chrome Beta on the Lollipop preview), but after getting used to it I really like it. I always have a couple of tabs open (GAF, Facebook, etc), and with this I can sort of treat them as apps. Instead of just seeing Chrome in Recents I now see GAF, Facebook, etc. I don't have to first tap on Chrome, and then open the tab switcher and select the one I actually want. They're just right there, like any other app.

co1onel

Yeah, there you go. Clearing defaults does nothing, there's just no way to make YouTube links open in the app.

You can disable that setting, you know. I like it though. It felt a bit odd when I first tried it (with Chrome Beta on the Lollipop preview), but after getting used to it I really like it. I always have a couple of tabs open (GAF, Facebook, etc), and with this I can sort of treat them as apps. Instead of just seeing Chrome in Recents I now see GAF, Facebook, etc. I don't have to first tap on Chrome, and then open the tab switcher and select the one I actually want. They're just right there, like any other app.

Thank god, I didn't realize that option was in there.

Furyous

Someone mentioned earlier that the S810 isn't coming out until later next year. OEMs have their work cut out for them if they plan on using QHD displays. Either Samsung/LG gimped their Cat 6 versions on purpose or that reported five to ten percent performance increase is legit.

The only upside heading into next year is that Samsung sells last year's SAMOLED displays to competitors which means at least a hopeful SAMOLED panel in that Motorola X device.

I weep for performance on future QHD phones without the S810 next year.

Piano

Banned
Let's say I want to get a new phone on Verizon TOMORROW.
What do I get?
I'm upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus.

No phablets.

RedFyn

According to motorola the moto g can handle a maximum of 1.5 A. Quickness 2.0 requires more than 1.5 A. I don't know the exact minimum required for you to be able to classify it as quick charge but in Qualcomm's test they use a charger with 2A. I believe this is the minimum but again I can't find anything to back that up. The moto g is also not found on Qualcomm's list of supported devices.

Simply put the moto g is unable to draw enough amps to utilize quickcharge.

gcubed

Regular Chrome, the one that comes with Lollipop. You're right that on the Lollipop preview the beta exhibited this problem while the stable version didn't, but now the stable version is doing it too.

Actually, something that's a bit odd is that on the preview only Chrome Beta had the "tabs-as-apps" feature, the stable version didn't. But now the stable version that comes with the final Lollipop release does. And it also has this YouTube issue that only the beta did previously. It's like what comes with Lollipop is some weird in-between version. It shows up as regular Chrome in the Play Store, with the beta listed separately (and not installed).

I don't know what's going on here, but it sure is annoying.

Its a problem with GAF, it works for me on other sites but not here

3phemeral

Downloaded the N7 2012 Wi-Fi OTA update and tried to install it via TWRP, but it fails.

Anyone else know what's up? My Nexus 7 is rooted/unlocked.

Android Police posted an article saying that Lollipop has a new verification feature that checks if your device is modified in any way and if so, won't install.

iavi

I just realized I have 3 separate Google SMS apps on my N5--the OG messaging, hangouts, and messenger.

It's a clusterfuck at moment, but messenger is absolutely the right direction for the SMS side of things. A no frills, super beautiful client to send some texts.

All while Hangouts slowly becomes the Google Voice rebranding it's meant to be.

Sch1sm

I just realized I have 3 separate Google SMS apps on my N5--the OG messaging, hangouts, and messenger.

It's a clusterfuck at moment, but messenger is absolutely the right direction for the SMS side of things. A no frills, super beautiful client to send some texts.

All that precious space, Iavi.

Gross. SMS is like a walkie talkie and hangouts is like an actual conversation.

The same app should handle both with me rarely having to think about what type of message to send. One app...hangouts/SMS/voice just like it is now and its working wonderfully. The new SMS app needs to give its design to hangouts and die an immediate death.

Hangouts would actually take off if Google would stop supporting a separate SMS app. A new messaging app in lollipop was a terrible decision.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have no idea why Google loves building new messaging apps all the time.

3phemeral

Does this mean even when my system gets the update from within the System Settings it will fail also?

Stock Lollipop by default seems to be checking for system modifications (i.e. rooted/unlocked boot loader/missing default apps), so having it downloaded via OTA won't change that, I think. This isn't necessarily new, as I remember this happening with my Droid 2 where I had rooted and deleted default system apps. I had to switch back to stock for the OTA to work. In some other pre-Lollipop cases, the phone will allow you to install an OTA even while rooted, but you would lose root in the process.

According to motorola the moto g can handle a maximum of 1.5 A. Quickness 2.0 requires more than 1.5 A. I don't know the exact minimum required for you to be able to classify it as quick charge but in Qualcomm's test they use a charger with 2A. I believe this is the minimum but again I can't find anything to back that up. The moto g is also not found on Qualcomm's list of supported devices.

Simply put the moto g is unable to draw enough amps to utilize quickcharge.
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/400

Quick Charge

Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 technology

PM8x26

Chipset SW

Voltage In = 9V, 1.5A out

NotBacon

Looks like it might be feasible, but almost every source says it can't. It's not listed on Qualcomm's supported devices page either. Interesting.

Looks like it might be feasible, but almost every source says it can't. It's not listed on Qualcomm's supported devices page either. Interesting.

their list of "some devices that support quick charging" right?

someone actually plugged one in and it charged quickly.

someone actually contacted Moto and they confirmed.

and who says it can't? i see some sources that don't say it can.

longdi

Banned
Google have updated Chrome to material design...and it seems they are not going to bring back the refresh button. Why?

Maxthon f4live

Let's say I want to get a new phone on Verizon TOMORROW.
What do I get?
I'm upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus.

No phablets.

was in the same boat as you(including the nexus) and i got mine a week ago..really happy with it, especially the performance and battery life. After trade in, 32GB was coming around $117 which got my tempted and went for 64GB for $172

I'm really conflicted on which phone to get. I'm on Verizon and my upgrade date is two weeks away. First and foremost, the most important thing for me is camera. I have Droid DNA currently and boy is the camera crap. It's annoyed me to no end. Sense hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been great either.

I went into the Verizon store today just to play with phones, and was really surprised with the LG G3. It was light weight, and the photo quality was so much better than the Turbo. I thought for sure I'd be going with a Turbo, but the G3 just seemed better. Now I'm in here reading about the Note 4, which apparently also has a really good camera? Probably need to try that, too.

NotBacon

I'm really conflicted on which phone to get. I'm on Verizon and my upgrade date is two weeks away. First and foremost, the most important thing for me is camera. I have Droid DNA currently and boy is the camera crap. It's annoyed me to no end. Sense hasn't been bad, but it hasn't been great either.

I went into the Verizon store today just to play with phones, and was really surprised with the LG G3. It was light weight, and the photo quality was so much better than the Turbo. I thought for sure I'd be going with a Turbo, but the G3 just seemed better. Now I'm in here reading about the Note 4, which apparently also has a really good camera? Probably need to try that, too.

Depends on your priorities. You want a really good camera? Get the G3. What the Turbo has going for it is silky smooth simple stock Android. So in your situation it's pretty much camera vs user experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom