• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avixph

Look at Google's beautiful new dialer.

Look at the abortion that is the Touchwiz 5.0 dialer. Not material design, ugly colors, just awful. JESUS FUCK WHY IS THE DELETE BUTTON BLUE IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS GREEN?!

I don't see your problem since one is running Lollipop while the other one is running Kitkat.

Groof

When I get my Nexus 6 I'll be telling you all how much better it is than your phone and be the coolest bully on the block

Avixph

No, that was from a Samsung preview of what they're doing with Lollipop.

Oh okay I see the point Wreav was trying to make, but as you said it's from a preview build and I'm sure Samsung isn't going to completely show off what they have store for their version of Lollipop until the Galaxy S6 comes out.

terrier

lol wtf?! that action bar in the touchwiz dialer is garbage UI

google should put ALL their apps on GooglePlay, dialer too. Would make things easier for those who buy android phones but want to be as close to stock as possible.
Didn't Google say that they wanted that all bloat from OEMs shouldn't be installed byt default but just given the option to dwl it from play store.

is that from a Samsung preview or from an unofficial video of a leaked build?
it seems an old build, that probably just used current touchwiz with a few changes here and there, i am sure that, for better or worst, Touchwiz on L will evolve. In fact even google is still updating their apps atm to meet materila design so is fair to think OEMS are a bit behind them.

Avixph

google should put ALL their apps on GooglePlay, dialer too. Would make things easier for those who buy android phones but want to be as close to stock as possible.
Didn't Google say that they wanted that all bloat from OEMs shouldn't be installed byt default but just given the option to dwl it from play store.

I think it was only for carrier bloat.

Mindwipe

Flashed my Nexus 7 last night.

Very initial Lollipop thoughts -

• Having a non-removable email icon to tell me there's no AOSP email client anymore is the most dunderheaded design decision Google has ever made.
  • It seems bizarre that I have to pick my own profile photo now and can't just take my Google+ profile picture. This worked in Kit Kat.
  • The settings menu is really disappointingly riddled with layout bugs for a stock version of Android that had a significant beta period on Google's own hardware. If you click on a wifi network for details literally half the words on screen wrap FFS.
  • Voice search from the lock screen now works for UK English... but still not on Kit Kat, which is what my phone runs where it would actually be useful.
  • If you disable swipe up for Google Now the animation is still here, but it just does nothing. C'mon Google. If I've disable swipe up it's probably because I don't want to swipe up.
  • Calendar and Contacts are trainwrecks, usability wise. I use Sunrise anyway, but the Contacts app need to display about 50% more stuff on a 7 inch screen frankly.
  • Mailbox needs a homescreen widget.
  • I still wish there was an option to have your settings pulldown and your notifications pulldown separate on a tablet like they were :-(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just realized I have 3 separate Google SMS apps on my N5--the OG messaging, hangouts, and messenger.

It's a clusterfuck at moment, but messenger is absolutely the right direction for the SMS side of things. A no frills, super beautiful client to send some texts.

All while Hangouts slowly becomes the Google Voice rebranding it's meant to be.

Why do you have Messaging (assuming you're talking about the old AOSP one)? Still on the preview? Final Lollipop only comes with Hangouts.

I fucking love smart unlock in Lollipop.

And now I wish every icon on my home screen was in material design. Dolphin just sticks out like a sore thumb. Any way to change it without rooting or switching to a different launcher?

Soodanim

Flashed my Nexus 7 last night.

Very initial Lollipop thoughts -

• Having a non-removable email icon to tell me there's no ASOP email client anymore is the most dunderheaded design decision Google has ever made.
  • It seems bizarre that I have to pick my own profile photo now and can't just take my Google+ profile picture. This worked in Kit Kat.
  • The settings menu is really disappointingly riddled with layout bugs for a stock version of Android that had a significant beta period on Google's own hardware. If you click on a wifi network for details literally half the words on screen wrap FFS.
  • Voice search from the lock screen now works for UK English... but still not on Kit Kat, which is what my phone runs where it would actually be useful.
  • If you disable swipe up for Google Now the animation is still here, but it just does nothing. C'mon Google. If I've disable swipe up it's probably because I don't want to swipe up.
  • Calendar and Contacts are trainwrecks, usability wise. I use Sunrise anyway, but the Contacts app need to display about 50% more stuff on a 7 inch screen frankly.
  • Mailbox needs a homescreen widget.
  • I still wish there was an option to have your settings pulldown and your notifications pulldown separate on a tablet like they were :-(
With every post I seem to look forward to getting 5 less and less, both my on Nexus 4 and 7. Thanks for the info though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With every post I seem to look forward to getting 5 less and less, both my on Nexus 4 and 7. Thanks for the info though.

Eh, there are some small annoyances, but overall it's a vast, vast improvement over KK. The best Android release ever by far, even if it's not perfect. 4.0 (ICS) certainly wasn't perfect on release either, there were immense improvements on that base leading up to and including 4.4. Now we have a brand new base design with 5.0, and of course it's going to see significant updates over the next few years.

The question is where they go after this. I thought ICS was a great leap for Android - it was the first time it had ever looked nice and felt somewhat modern - but Lollipop is clearly an even bigger one. 4.x looks really old and outdated now. Will we think the same of Lollipop in a few years? Hard to imagine right now, but we'll see.

Mindwipe

There's lots I like.

There's just... to be honest there's just several things that should have been fixed given the long testing period.

Hopefully 5.01 comes shortly.

dex3108

Nah i could not wait so i downloaded OTA updates and sideloaded them on my N7 2013 and N5 without issues :D Lollipo looks and feels good :D

Zeppu

So I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the N5 on Lollipop. Tonight I'm meeting with a friend of mine who has an N5 on kitkat and we're gonna do a test to check the difference in app launch time and the like.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to fix contact pictures?

It takes away from the experience when you call someone and the picture is pixelated as fuck.

It's even worse with Lollipop now than it was KitKat.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I want to order a new Moto X, but I feel like I should wait in case there's a Black Friday-ish sale like there was last year. Is that a safe bet?

-PXG-

Tabs as apps is the dumbest shit ever. It wouldn't be so bad if the tabs were all grouped together and not separated between other apps. I turned that shit off instantly.

Nexus 5 updated the hard way (Backed up with Titanium, ADB pulled my storage, Flashed the system image, rooted, pushed my storage back, sideloaded the Titanium Lollipop build and restored from Titanium) due to being Australian so the current OTA doesn't work.

Good Things:
Built in Flashlight on the Settings Bar
Interface "feels" snappier.

Things I miss:
Bluetooth File Transfer App (used this for FTP over Bluetooth. Lollipop seems to have changed the Bluetooth Layer)

Both
Smart Unlock (Good) / SkipLock (was better) : Would be nice if you could unlock with Wifi & if it would maintain a passive connection to a trusted device, needing to have my laptop as Media audio is silly

Weird Stuff:
Many of my apps work fine, some of them have required reinstallation (Square Enix apps are especially bad, nearly all of them need reinstalling and since some of them still potentially have Fatal Disagreements with ART its hard to tell if its worth the massive downloads). I'll finish reinstall all the apps that don't work and make a list of anything that seems like its permanently broken.

Zeppu

So, um. How do I disable the pattern again?

2014-11-14.jpg

Tabs as apps is the dumbest shit ever. It wouldn't be so bad if the tabs were all grouped together and not separated between other apps. I turned that shit off instantly.

Agreed. Especially since the tasks accumulate really really quickly on L, what with each Google search result getting its own card.

Depends on your priorities. You want a really good camera? Get the G3. What the Turbo has going for it is silky smooth simple stock Android. So in your situation it's pretty much camera vs user experience.

My friend is telling me that the N6 and G3 have the same camera sensor, but a few of the reviews I've read for the N6 don't really praise the camera as a great thing. That seems odd.

Google Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4: http://youtu.be/afOEn-zm_y0

Adding more fuel to the fire. The battery life comparison is rather interesting. The Nexus 6 was less than the Note 4 by under an hour. I'm starting to think that battery optimization was botched. I expect an update to address this. Also, when opening the same app, the music app, the Nexus was slightly faster. Very interesting.

While I wouldn't consider it "the dumbest shit ever," I turned it off as well.

Adding potentially 10+ more cards (I tend to have a lot of open browser tabs) to the app switcher is just too much for me.

Titanium Backup from the store now officially has Lollipop support. Hopefully SuperSU gets updated in the next few days so I can go back to auto-updates.

Adding potentially 10+ more cards (I tend to have a lot of open browser tabs) to the app switcher is just too much for me.
But if you haven't accessed them in a while, do they get pushed the back and not interfere with your more recent apps?

I don't have 5.0 yet so I don't know. If that's the case, though, then I don't see the problem, even with a lot of tabs; especially since if I see tabs I don't need in Recents, I'd be more likely to swipe them away.

Doopliss

It's so convenient to open a page in a tab as a shortcut and reminder to return to it later. It seems like they've done nothing to maintain that functionality in Lollipop's new system...

NotBacon

My friend is telling me that the N6 and G3 have the same camera sensor, but a few of the reviews I've read for the N6 don't really praise the camera as a great thing. That seems odd.

Read more reviews then. And two phones can have the same sensor but do vastly different post-processing.

That being said, N6 camera is looking stellar. Not Note 4 level, but probably better than G3 level.

But if you haven't accessed them in a while, do they get pushed the back and not interfere with your more recent apps?

I don't have 5.0 yet so I don't know. If that's the case, though, then I don't see the problem, even with a lot of tabs; especially since if I see tabs I don't need in Recents, I'd be more likely to swipe them away.

I'm not entirely sure, but if it does, I wouldn't care for it. When I'm browsing, I find it easier to switch between tabs directly in Chrome than using the app switcher to do it. If they're scattered throughout the task switcher that seems incredibly inconvenient. If they're grouped it's less of a problem, but still kind of annoying.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if enabling it didn't completely remove the tab switching button in Chrome. I don't see why you can't switch tabs directly in Chrome while also having the tabs appear as cards on the app switcher.

-PXG-

It's so convenient to open a page in a tab as a shortcut and reminder to return to it later. It seems like they've done nothing to maintain that functionality in Lollipop's new system...

What do you mean? On KK, it was on by default in Chrome beta. But on Lollipop, regular Chrome has it on by default too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom