• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

Do you have a corporate email account that is enforcing security policies?

Nope. Nothing. I just enabled the lock pattern to see how well the smart-lock trusted face thingy works.

Edit: Had to delete the trusted credentials. Now it's working fine. /shrugs

this_guy

Read more reviews then. And two phones can have the same sensor but do vastly different post-processing.

That being said, N6 camera is looking stellar. Not Note 4 level, but probably better than G3 level.

You accuse others of spreading fud, but then you say stuff like this. G3's camera has been praised, while the N6's camera is always followed by "not as good as others".

NH Apache

Banned
So Chrome updated last night and now it won't open fullscreen.

It only uses a portion of the screen.

mI1a6Ea.jpg

No option to switch out. Looking at the comments in the app store, it seems to be pretty prevalent.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en

Running Note 2, Paranoid Android. It's like they don't test this stuff.

thuway

So ugly
2aTu9c6.png

When you of all people say that...
sYv1OYk.png

I'm really hoping the Android team pull a miracle N6 update before the end of the year.

I have mine preordered, and I agree!

The Read/Write Encryption, Display Calibration, battery drain, and low light performance are all a symptom of Google focusing more on Lollipop and less attention to how Nexus 6 is launching.

I tend not to trust the battery reviews since the Wifi Drain bug was just alleviated THIS week, the camera still doesn't support RAW natively - which heavily hints at the software for the camera being unfinished, and the display needs to shift some color values. This can all be done swiftly through a patch, but I'm sure Google is more concerned with getting Lollipop shipped first.

Hopefully we'll see some goodness once Lollipop launches :).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone know how to fix contact pictures?

It takes away from the experience when you call someone and the picture is pixelated as fuck.

It's even worse with Lollipop now than it was KitKat.

Easiest way, IMO, is to do it on your PC at contacts.google.com. There you can easily set high-res photos for your contacts, and they should sync right over. Doing it on the phone via the Contacts app works well for me too though.

Tabs as apps is the dumbest shit ever. It wouldn't be so bad if the tabs were all grouped together and not separated between other apps. I turned that shit off instantly.

Allow me to disagree! I thought it was pretty weird at first too (on the preview, so I've been using it for a while), but now that I'm used to it I like it. I basically treat my tabs as apps anyway (I always have one open at Facebook, one at GAF, etc), and this way I can actually do it. GAF is an "activity" just like Messenger or Gmail, so it sort of makes sense to have it in Recents. And it makes getting to a certain tab (especially from another app) much smoother. Before I had to open Recents, tap on Chrome, open Chrome's tab switcher, and select the tab I wanted. Now I just go right to the tab from Recents.

One thing you have to get used to is that you're not supposed to swipe everything in Recents away to "clean up". Android manages that stuff itself, you don't have to. Lollipop reinforces this by preserving the Recents list through reboots. Sure, I still swipe away games and stuff, but everyday things (Chrome tabs, Messenger, Gmail, etc) I just leave in there. I basically live through the Recents list most of the time now, it's a very nice way to jump between things.

But if you haven't accessed them in a while, do they get pushed the back and not interfere with your more recent apps?

I don't have 5.0 yet so I don't know. If that's the case, though, then I don't see the problem, even with a lot of tabs; especially since if I see tabs I don't need in Recents, I'd be more likely to swipe them away.

Yeah, they get pushed back. You only see the 6 latest apps/activities without scrolling.

And yeah, with tabs in Recents you can much more easily tell what you actually have opened, and close the stuff you don't need. Sure, that's easy to do from within Chrome as well, but I really prefer it this way. I can easily jump from an app to a tab, back to the app, then to another tab, etc.

Again, I think it's a matter of getting used to it, and to start viewing tabs as their own activities rather than part of a browser "container".

It's so convenient to open a page in a tab as a shortcut and reminder to return to it later. It seems like they've done nothing to maintain that functionality in Lollipop's new system...

Not really sure what you mean here. Shortcut? You can still do that, unless I'm misunderstanding. Reminder? You'll get reminded of that tab as soon as you open Recents, which doesn't happen if you use the old way of hiding all tabs away behind the browser activity.

I'm not entirely sure, but if it does, I wouldn't care for it. When I'm browsing, I find it easier to switch between tabs directly in Chrome than using the app switcher to do it. If they're scattered throughout the task switcher that seems incredibly inconvenient. If they're grouped it's less of a problem, but still kind of annoying.

You need to stop viewing apps and tabs as two completely different things. Why should they be, really? They're just two ways of presenting information. One is a native app, the other is a web page, but why should they REALLY be treated differently? I basically have a GAF app and a Facebook app (don't want the actual app installed) now, and I switch between them like any other apps. That they're really web pages isn't important. That's also why your grouping idea is a bit misguided IMO. Why should tabs, which often contain completely different things, be grouped when other apps aren't? In the end they're all just activities of different kinds that happen to have different back-ends. Once you start thinking like that, this new way of dealing with apps starts making sense.

But that's me, and I can certainly understand that some people prefer the traditional way of handling tabs. I thought I would too, but now I'm really liking this new paradigm.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Easiest way, IMO, is to do it on your PC at contacts.google.com. There you can easily set high-res photos for your contacts, and they should sync right over. Doing it on the phone via the Contacts app works well for me too though.

Is there a way to get this to pull from G+ automatically? That'd be useful.

pr0cs

I was doing some xmas shopping yesterday and made the mistake of stopping by the cell section in best buy. Feels bad man knowing I don't think I can afford a new phone yet. I don't want to lose my contract but my SGS3 feels fucking ancient compared to the Z3 compact I tried, it just sucks that I'll have to pay >$700 CDN to get a new phone.
I want to like the Nexus 6 but I thin it's just too fucking big and the price now makes it a lot less attractive than the last Nexus gen.
I promised myself after dealing with Samsung that my next device would be a nexus but given the cost and how nice the Z3 series and LG G3 felt it is going to be hard to force myself to buy something I'm not really digging.

Doopliss

Not really sure what you mean here. Shortcut? You can still do that, unless I'm misunderstanding. Reminder? You'll get reminded of that tab as soon as you open Recents, which doesn't happen if you use the old way of hiding all tabs away behind the browser activity.
It just seems like in the recents list a tab will get buried after about 10 minutes of using other stuff on your device. It's not much of a reminder if you have to go digging for it. In the Chrome tab switcher you would definitely see it as you have to manage the tabs yourself.

By shortcut I just meant that the open tab itself acts as such without having to go to the extra effort of bookmarking or pinning a page. In Lollipop if a tab gets lost in the stack you'll have to navigate back to the same page which could be tricky depending on how you arrived there in the first place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hopefully Qualcomm willing we get a chipset bump on what is the low end for the west (emerging markets is a different story) vs every lowerish end phone all having the same Snap 400 chip.

Will be interesting to see when the low end chipset gets bumped if they all stick with 1 gig of RAM as well except for the super low end. Granted don't expect some crazy performance bump, but I think especially at the lower 400 end even a small increase of say 20-25 percent could be huge in adding even more value to a devices like the Desire 610 and the Moto G.

For the past 12 if not really 18 months they've all been coasting on pretty much the same hardware chipset just with other changes like the camera, form factor, sd slots ect...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It just seems like in the recents list a tab will get buried after about 10 minutes of using other stuff on your device. It's not much of a reminder if you have to go digging for it. In the Chrome tab switcher you would definitely see it as you have to manage the tabs yourself.

By shortcut I just meant that the open tab itself acts as such without having to go to the extra effort of bookmarking or pinning a page. In Lollipop if a tab gets lost in the stack you'll have to navigate back to the same page which could be tricky depending on how you arrived there in the first place.

If you use 6+ other apps before returning to that tab, sure, it would disappear from what you see in Recents without scrolling through. But the app stack is fun to scroll through, so, yeah. ;)

longdi

Banned
Handling the N4 Edge, i dont like the extra slanted screen. It cuts into my palm and makes it more likely to drop than ever. While adding nothing useful imo. Samsung innovating again! (aka throwing shit at the wall).

The only thing I don't like about 5.0 so far is the volume slider at the very top. I know that it "better" because it's not in the way anymore and you don't have to wait a second or two until it fades away, after changing the volume. But now that it's at the top, it makes it hard to use as a slider.

I was doing some xmas shopping yesterday and made the mistake of stopping by the cell section in best buy. Feels bad man knowing I don't think I can afford a new phone yet. I don't want to lose my contract but my SGS3 feels fucking ancient compared to the Z3 compact I tried, it just sucks that I'll have to pay >$700 CDN to get a new phone.
I want to like the Nexus 6 but I thin it's just too fucking big and the price now makes it a lot less attractive than the last Nexus gen.
I promised myself after dealing with Samsung that my next device would be a nexus but given the cost and how nice the Z3 series and LG G3 felt it is going to be hard to force myself to buy something I'm not really digging.
The Z3 is a fine alternative to a Nexus device. Seeing how you enjoyed your hands on with one, you should consider it. Especially since Sony doesn't butcher android. You definitely consider it.

My google search has been draining the fuck out of my battery the last couple days, any idea why?

I had to factory reset my phone to make it go away. It also began crashing the phone several times a day.

It fixed the problem for me, but now something else is destroying my battery which I don't know what is.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Starting next week, as a Google Play Music subscriber, you'll get free and complete access to the YouTube Music Key beta, a new service from YouTube where you can watch ad-free music videos, and keep the music playing in the background or when you're offline. The Google Play Music app will also include ad-free music videos alongside select tracks. Stay tuned for more information.

well shucks, thanks googy

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I got my Nexus 9. Now to try it out for a couple of weeks before deciding to return it and stay with my Nexus 10. I prefer 4:3 so much more. I think the N9 build quality issues are overblown. I don't have them. I don't have that back casing push in. I do, however, hate the volume buttons. They are terrible, terrible, terrible.

Handling the N4 Edge, i dont like the extra slanted screen. It cuts into my palm and makes it more likely to drop than ever. While adding nothing useful imo. Samsung innovating again! (aka throwing shit at the wall).

Damn, I'm jealous. I really think I'd like the phone.

Google Now?

I dunno! I haven't been using it any more than usual.

I had to factory reset my phone to make it go away. It also began crashing the phone several times a day.

It fixed the problem for me, but now something else is destroying my battery which I don't know what is.

I don't have the crashing yet, so that's good.

Maybe when lolipop comes out on the Nexus 5 it will be fixed? I hope so anyway. Haha.

As is standard with major Android updates the following apps broke (don't boot) (good job Squenix):
Chaos Rings
Chaos Rings Omega
Final Fantasy Dimensions

Broken:
9th Dawn (doesn't boot)
Final Fantasy VI (boots okay but crashes randomly, haven't managed to start a game successfully)
Amazon Appstore (Can't load contents? I haven't updated this in ages so this may just be me needing to update my APK) - Updated my APK and it works fine.
Bluetooth File Transfer (Lollipop changes the Bluetooth Layer, so this fails to do anything useful but it handles it gracefully at least)
DestinyFantasia (crashes at end of loading bar)

Partially Broken
Bump (Some function keeps crashing, app recovers okay though, not sure if works)
Busybox Pro (works and installs busybox using manual install (to xbin) but Smart Install can't detect existing system functions)
ES File Explorer (works but can't get Root)
Project Angel (doesn't work with Nexus 5 screen, doesn't clean up off screen images either, hasn't been updated since KitKat so not likely to see a fix)
Gailardia (original, 2 & 3) - graphics error- sprites are surrounded by rectangles
Ash (the data downloader for the compulsory patch doesn't work at all but this doesn't seem to be a Lollipop issue, there's review about this issue from months ago)

ETA - Am I the only one having issues with my Nexus 5 randomly locking up (needing to be hard shutdown and restarted) on sleep since installing Lollipop ?

Doopliss

I got my Nexus 9. Now to try it out for a couple of weeks before deciding to return it and stay with my Nexus 10. I prefer 4:3 so much more. I think the N9 build quality issues are overblown. I don't have them. I don't have that back casing push in. I do, however, hate the volume buttons. They are terrible, terrible, terrible.

How do the speakers compare?

I think it's been enough time to say I really like what Google has done with its apps.

Calendar is great, Inbox is amazing (but needs a gesture for deleting in addition to the current ones), the new Maps is amazing, the new Gmail is amazing, and the new Messenger is really damn good.

Play Music is really good, but doesn't look/feel like it's been completely Materialized yet, YouTube is still holo, and despite how much I like Hangouts, I won't be using it anymore until it's Materialized. That app needs some serious work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How do the speakers compare?
N9 seems to have a little more umph. I need more time to compare but that's my quick impression.

Also, it's only been a couple hours but I'm keeping the N9. It's just so much faster and smoother. The N10 is laggy and slow, even after lollipop.

I think it's been enough time to say I really like what Google has done with its apps.

Calendar is great, Inbox is amazing (but needs a gesture for deleting in addition to the current ones), the new Maps is amazing, the new Gmail is amazing, and the new Messenger is really damn good.

Play Music is really good, but doesn't look/feel like it's been completely Materialized yet, YouTube is still holo, and despite how much I like Hangouts, I won't be using it anymore until it's Materialized. That app needs some serious work.

Hangouts fucking sucks. The concept is great. The execution leaves much to be desired.

Has anyone received ota for any of their nexus devices?

My family members have multiple nexus devices and I am curious if updates are hitting them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom