• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyce

Wow, this is nice. Super smooth, super fluid and pretty on a 2 year old device. Almost makes me wanna go back to using an N4 lol. Can't wait for custom roms.

kehs

Banned
Not for me. I have WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular, Airplane mode, Flashlight, Location and Cast screen.

I know the rotation lock is supposed to be there, but it isn't.

Quick settings are adaptive as you use them.

Dear google: let people choose what you want up there manually.

Quick settings are adaptive as you use them.

Dear google: let people choose what you want up there manually.

That is probably the dumbest thing I've read about Lollipop so far. Now I can't lock or rather unlock the screen orientation at all, since the setting isn't in the display settings anymore and I'm too stupid to find it.

Milpool

That is probably the dumbest thing I've read about Lollipop so far. Now I can't lock or rather unlock the screen orientation at all, since the setting isn't in the display settings anymore and I'm too stupid to find it.

I think it's under the accessibility section.

Milpool

Are there still options for the pulse notification light on the Nexus 5 running Lollipop? Wonder what's actually going on with the Nexus 9 LED...

gcubed

Is there any disadvantage to keeping my device in Battery Saver mode for location?

depends how much you rely on Now, or use Now for location based things.

My traffic cards know that i drop my kid off at his day care on Monday's and Friday's, so my total time to work on those days takes into account the ride to his day care and back. Its cool and creepy at the same time. You wouldn't get as detailed data into Now with that, but if you don't use it, there is no big loss that I can think of

Quasar

So I'm flashing my N4. Its been so long I don't even know what thats like really.

Anyway, I was following the Ars guide.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/how-to-flash-a-factory-image-to-your-nexus-device/

What I'm wondering about is just how long it takes/whats supposed to happen.

I mean from the fastboot screen (where it says my bootloader is unlocked) I ran the script from a mac. And well its just been sitting there for I guess 20 minutes with no feedback at all. Its just sitting there on the fastloader screen so I can't tell if anything is happening at all.

Last time I did this (using a more manual method) I seem to recall some feedback so I knew something was happening.

So I'm flashing my N4. Its been so long I don't even know what thats like really.

Anyway, I was following the Ars guide.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/how-to-flash-a-factory-image-to-your-nexus-device/

What I'm wondering about is just how long it takes/whats supposed to happen.

I mean from the fastboot screen (where it says my bootloader is unlocked) I ran the script from a mac. And well its just been sitting there for I guess 20 minutes with no feedback at all. Its just sitting there on the fastloader screen so I can't tell if anything is happening at all.

Last time I did this (using a more manual method) I seem to recall some feedback so I knew something was happening.

Easiest way is to use the Nexus Root Toolkit, plus this guide from Cnet..

Official Samsung video
URL?

Lollipop won't launch until samsung starts pushing out OTAs.
if a firmware falls in the forest and no phones are there to OTA it, does it make a bump in the version pie chart?

My friend is telling me that the N6 and G3 have the same camera sensor, but a few of the reviews I've read for the N6 don't really praise the camera as a great thing. That seems odd.

lots of devices use the same or similar camera sensors... mostly made by Sony.

even Sony doesn't get their camera processing software done as well as others and they make the sensors!!!

the Note 4 and Nexus 6 have the exact same size battery too. software optimization matters.

Cerity

Lollipop got rid of Silent Mode on phones? The hell? I hope OEMs still include it in their builds.

it's just based on notification types now.

All, priority and none. Which kind of makes sense and is more customisable with the priority setting but is round-about and more confusing than the traditional loud/vibrate/silent.

NotBacon

And well its still sitting there. Nothing. Must be over an hour now.

Seems like the whole thing has locked up at this point. Wondering how I safely stop it and use this now.

So can you confirm <path_to_sdk>/platform-tools is in your $PATH?
And then you ran "./flash-all.sh" (without quotes) from within the directory where flash-all.sh is located?

Quasar

So can you confirm <path_to_sdk>/platform-tools is in your $PATH?
And then you ran "./flash-all.sh" (without quotes) from within the directory where flash-all.sh is located?

Yeah. I started the script just fine.

Just nothing has happened on either end since, and its now maybe an hour since I started the script.

Though if I run adb devices now in another shell nothing shows up. So something is up.

malyce

Just nothing has happened on either end since, and its now maybe an hour since I started the script.

Though if I run adb devices now in another shell nothing shows up. So something is up.

Weird. Do you have access to a PC?

NotBacon

Well yeah you can't run adb commands from within fastboot.
Sounds silly, but did you download the correct image?

And there was literally no output (in the shell) from the execution of "./flash-all.sh" ?

Drifters

Your PC cannot see the device in question. USB debugging must be toggled again and if it is not working, you've got a USB driver issue.

gcubed

lots of devices use the same or similar camera sensors... mostly made by Sony.

even Sony doesn't get their camera processing software done as well as others and they make the sensors!!!

the Note 4 and Nexus 6 have the exact same size battery too. software optimization matters.

to be fair, notes abound about much more efficient AMOLED screen's that samsung is using versus their older screens that they sell to others. So better hardware helps more then software.

Also (not to you Faceless, but to Op), the N6 gets good marks when its reviewed by professionals. Although they don't have a G3 review, nor a Note 4 review.

edit... i apparently need to refresh my page more often. Oh well.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Your PC cannot see the device in question. USB debugging must be toggled again and if it is not working, you've got a USB driver issue.

This was my thought too.

Drifters

This Lollipop "import" of your old account is slick as fuck. Both my tablet and my phone are getting "re-personalized" and I don't have to do a damn thing. LOVE IT!

Quasar

Well yeah you can't run adb commands from within fastboot.
Sounds silly, but did you download the correct image?

And there was literally no output (in the shell) from the execution of "./flash-all.sh" ?

Yeah.

Anyway I stopped it restarted it and it started to work, though partway through I got a series of error messages:

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'vendor.img'

It continued on and then said it completed. Its now rebooting.

Groof

Having Lollipop on my Nexus 4 finally feels so good.
Did a dirt flash of the factory image, skipped the wipe process. It's been a bit laggy, but I'll reboot and let it cool down for a bit and see later.

I'm just happy to have it on the N4 finally. Was jarring going between the 7 and the 4.

Quasar

Well its now rebooted and installing stuff.

One thing I did wonder about was the fact that I had 2 factor on with google using authenticator and wasn't sure whether that would mean I could not get into my account when I first rebooted after the flash.

I disabled 2factor first to be safe, but was that necessary?

whitehawk

Banned
Question.

If I wait for 5.0 OTA, then do a factory data reset on the phone (nexus 4), is that the same as a clean install? Kind of like re-installing windows to fix all problems. Or would I have to download the lollipop factory image and do a manual install for that?

kehs

Banned
Question.

If I wait for 5.0 OTA, then do a factory data reset on the phone (nexus 4), is that the same as a clean install? Kind of like re-installing windows to fix all problems. Or would I have to download the lollipop factory image and do a manual install for that?

If you're gonna do that, then just flash the factory image now. No need to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom