• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Bluth

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I thought the point of sideloading an OTA image is to avoid erasing all data.

I haven't flashed a phone for a while, but for whatever reason I can't access the recovery mode. I thought it's because I didn't "unlock the bootloader" per this guide.
But doing that would do a factory reset, and the guide doesn't seem to suggest unlocking the bootloader is needed.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit:

nvm, for whatever reason, it suddenly worked

Husker86

Well its now rebooted and installing stuff.

One thing I did wonder about was the fact that I had 2 factor on with google using authenticator and wasn't sure whether that would mean I could not get into my account when I first rebooted after the flash.

I disabled 2factor first to be safe, but was that necessary?
You could have printed off the emergency password list. I've always had another device with authenticator on it, but the emergency passwords would work fine too.

Drifters

Question.

If I wait for 5.0 OTA, then do a factory data reset on the phone (nexus 4), is that the same as a clean install? Kind of like re-installing windows to fix all problems. Or would I have to download the lollipop factory image and do a manual install for that?
Follow my link above, save any local info and do a factory wipe. Super easy and starts out with a clean slate which is good moving between major versions.

MattDoza

If I buy a Nexus 6 through AT&T, and I can get a SIM unlock code from them, would I be able to use it on Verizon? Like is it the exact same model?

I have no experience in actually doing it, but I've always read that they provide unlock codes after 6 months and account in good standing.

Edit: Decided to just look it up...

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
a current AT&T customer
a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't entirely Android related, but I can't find answers on Google. Does anyone know why I'm unable to receive MMS messages from people who have an iPhone? When I send them out, they don't get them either.

I know this has to do with iMessage but what exactly?

It's rather annoying not being able to send people picture messages, having to use something like WhatsApp instead. Is it an Android fix or an iPhone fix?

this_guy

This isn't entirely Android related, but I can't find answers on Google. Does anyone know why I'm unable to receive MMS messages from people who have an iPhone? When I send them out, they don't get them either.

It's rather annoying not being able to send people picture messages, having to use something like WhatsApp instead. Is it an Android fix or an iPhone fix?

It may be related to the iphone/imessage issue that Apple is facing a lawsuit for. Sure enough Apple has added a link to in their support page for the issue as the lawsuit is getting underway. There's a link to deregister imessage in the article below.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/imessage-deactivation-problems-earn-apple-a-federal-lawsuit/

Nakazato

Do you still have the iPhone ?

And yes the last poster is right its horrible. After you deactive its still about a 72-96 hour wait.

whitehawk

Banned
Follow my link above, save any local info and do a factory wipe. Super easy and starts out with a clean slate which is good moving between major versions.
Thanks. I guess this manual install should help it run better? Are there any apps that can do an automatic backup, or should I just do it manually?

Drifters

Thanks. I guess this manual install should help it run better? Are there any apps that can do an automatic backup, or should I just do it manually?
Local content such as pictures or things downloaded will get wiped so make sure you've got Dropbox, onedrive or G+ of photos backed up. All app data and settings are backed up via Google so a fresh install will then download that once Lollipop is installed.

deim0s

Just updated w/o wiping data on my Nexus 4. Sweet.

Also, ChainFire's SuperSU/root doesn't work at the moment.

Since I'm here... is there a way to disable the phone and camera icons in the lock screen? Lockscreen Policy worked in Kit Kat but it's outdated now.

Just updated w/o wiping data on my Nexus 4. Sweet.

Also, ChainFire's SuperSU/root doesn't work at the moment.

Since I'm here... is there a way to disable the phone and camera icons in the lock screen? Lockscreen Policy worked in Kit Kat but it's outdated now.

I believe Chainfire provides an Auto-root for Nexus 4 here: http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

But it requires an unlocked bootloader, the new security permissions on Lollipop require this in order to get root in a useful way, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader it will unlock your bootloader and wipe your data on a Nexus.

You'd have to make a backup of what you want to keep using adb since you can't use Titanium Backup without root unless you have a backup from before you upgraded to Lollipop;

Husker86

The fact that they aren't getting the MMS that you send leads me to believe it's something besides iMessage that's the issue.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well its now rebooted and installing stuff.

One thing I did wonder about was the fact that I had 2 factor on with google using authenticator and wasn't sure whether that would mean I could not get into my account when I first rebooted after the flash.

I disabled 2factor first to be safe, but was that necessary?

Not necessary, there's an option to use one of your backup codes (you should have 10 of these saved somewhere) to get into your account. They've greatly improved this part of the setup process.

Yeah.

Anyway I stopped it restarted it and it started to work, though partway through I got a series of error messages:

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'vendor.img'

It continued on and then said it completed. Its now rebooting.

You always get those errors when flashing using Google's script. Nothing to worry about.

I sort of have the same issue, with SOME iPhone people. One of them I can both send to and receive from, another I can send to but not receive from. Really annoying. I bet it's iMessage messing things up. Or maybe not.

Local content such as pictures or things downloaded will get wiped so make sure you've got Dropbox, onedrive or G+ of photos backed up. All app data and settings are backed up via Google so a fresh install will then download that once Lollipop is installed.

Definitely not true. Most app data is NOT automatically synced to the cloud. It should be, as Google has APIs for that, but most devs still don't make use of them. All games should have cloud saves, but a pitiful amount actually do.

deim0s

I believe Chainfire provides an Auto-root for Nexus 4 here: http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

But it requires an unlocked bootloader, the new security permissions on Lollipop require this in order to get root in a useful way, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader it will unlock your bootloader and wipe your data on a Nexus.

You'd have to make a backup of what you want to keep using adb since you can't use Titanium Backup without root unless you have a backup from before you upgraded to Lollipop;

I learned about it few minutes ago. I'm already unlocked and rooted before but still I checked the CFAR's script just in case before installing.

My Nexus 5 is being weird lately. It will randomly shut down, even with a decent charge left:

jboyizi7aDhiqE.png

But then when it shuts down, I can't turn it on again because the battery has suddenly lost it's entire charge.

Is Android not showing the correct health of the battery? Is there a way to make it show the correct percentage?

Or is the battery itself started to die and need to be replaced?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My Nexus 5 is being weird lately. It will randomly shut down, even with a decent charge left:

jboyizi7aDhiqE.png

But then when it shuts down, I can't turn it on again because the battery has suddenly lost it's entire charge.

Is Android not showing the correct health of the battery? Is there a way to make it show the correct percentage?

Or is the battery itself started to die and need to be replaced?

Did you do a clean flash with wipe?

But yeah, sounds like your battery might be having issues. I haven't had anything like that.

I've had my Nexus 5 on Lollipop hard freeze (it looks like a shutdown since the screen goes black and its totally non-responsive) a couple of times, but I've been able to fix it by doing a hard shutdown (holding down the power button) and restarting it without any battery weirdness.

Drifters

Not necessary, there's an option to use one of your backup codes (you should have 10 of these saved somewhere) to get into your account. They've greatly improved this part of the setup process.

You always get those errors when flashing using Google's script. Nothing to worry about.

I sort of have the same issue, with SOME iPhone people. One of them I can both send to and receive from, another I can send to but not receive from. Really annoying. I bet it's iMessage messing things up. Or maybe not.

Definitely not true. Most app data is NOT automatically synced to the cloud. It should be, as Google has APIs for that, but most devs still don't make use of them. All games should have cloud saves, but a pitiful amount actually do.
Should have been a little more specific... All installed apps are redownloaded automatically and all GOOGLE data from their apps are stored on the cloud. You're correct that a lot of other apps don't have their data backed up.

whitehawk

Banned
Should have been a little more specific... All installed apps are redownloaded automatically and all GOOGLE data from their apps are stored on the cloud. You're correct that a lot of other apps don't have their data backed up.
Okay that's what I thought. I've backed up all my photos, contacts, MMS messages, and any offline files I had. How do I backup app-data though? There's a couple game saves I'd like to keep.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It may be related to the iphone/imessage issue that Apple is facing a lawsuit for. Sure enough Apple has added a link to in their support page for the issue as the lawsuit is getting underway. There's a link to deregister imessage in the article below.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/11/imessage-deactivation-problems-earn-apple-a-federal-lawsuit/
No they still have an iPhone. I mean I can always send pictures through WhatsApp but it's rather annoying lol.

Thanks for the info!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I might join the #FuckTouchWiz team since I've just installed CyanogenMod on my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and all the choppiness is gone.

Drifters

I'm following this guide and I'm confused. The commands in terminal do nothing.

I keep getting "No such file or directory" when entering ./adb devices into terminal.
You have to be in the android-sdk folder to be running the commands. They don't explain that very well.

NotBacon

I am.. At least I think. It's still confusing. I opened the adb exec file but I can't type anything in.

You don't "open the adb exec file"

You add the platform-tools/ directory to your $PATH variable, so then you can type "adb blah blah" from anywhere in a terminal.

Or you could navigate to that directory to run the commands, but I prefer just adding it to the path to not worry about my pwd.

Edit: just do these steps and you'll be golden.

Drifters

You add the platform-tools/ directory to your $PATH variable, so then you can type "adb blah blah" from anywhere in a terminal.

Or you could navigate to that directory to run the commands, but I prefer just adding it to the path to not worry about my pwd.

NotBacon rocking the house again.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder when Google's going to release the Material Design version of Hangouts. The last update left it pretty slow and functionality wise, I don't like that they got rid of the swiping to the right to get back to the conversation list.

whitehawk

Banned

Thanks, think I got it working using this video, it was really clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fhPYQSMQ4

Phone is rebooting now.

Cheebo

Banned
MKBHD Nexus 6 sweg

Great review, and just as before, it just boils down to Stock vs TouchWiz with the N6 and Note 4.

#FuckTouchWiz
That is not what it came down to in that review or the majority of the reviews.

As is the norm it comes down to better screen, better camera, better battery life on the Note 4 at the expense of Touchwiz vs. Weaker screen, battery, camera but with Stock.

Alex

Chrome destroys my battery on my phone compared to any other browser, this is with auto sync disabled as well. My phone runs very lean and very long... until Chrome gets any kind of heavy work out then it just lays waste.

Does anyone else have any kind of experience with this? Any work arounds or is this just how it is with Chrome? I really appreciate the migrated bookmarks and form data from my desktop but I'm not willing to eat the battery consumption to continue using it as is.

Oh man some people here just gone full retard...

First with the whole moto x hype garbage..

Then the non stop spewing of L has great battery life and it will improve battery life BS...

And when L didn't deliver, he spew out weird statement like

"BRING ON THE BUG-FIXING UPDATES BABY"

Wow what a weirdo....

Then have the audacity to crap on TouchWiz..

Samsung won, a brought out an A+ product with the note 4...it delivered better screen, battery life and camera versus the nexus 6 with a beta OS.

Seriously praising a phone base on what it could be than what it is now is just ridiculous...

Oh man some people here just gone full retard...

First with the whole moto x hype garbage..

Then the non stop spewing of L has great battery life and it will improve battery life BS...

And when L didn't deliver, he spew out weird statement like

"BRING ON THE BUG-FIXING UPDATES BABY"

Wow what a weirdo....

Then have the audacity to crap on TouchWiz..

Samsung won, a brought out an A+ product with the note 4...it delivered better screen, battery life and camera versus the nexus 6 with a beta OS.

Seriously praising a phone base on what it could be than what it is now is just ridiculous...

Can't quite figure out who you are referring to.

whitehawk

Banned
Got L installed on my Nexus 4. Runs pretty well. Gonna have to get used to it. How do I force close an app now btw?

Only thing is I can't seem to back up some of my apps. I managed to restore all my contacts + mms messages. Most apps have cloud storage so it's not a big deal. Only app I can't seem to restore is Metal Slug Defense. It was the only game I played.

Helium has failed me. I have the save data on my PC, but I don't know how to restore it now. Helium doesn't want to recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom