• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Well this is curious. I have used one of those DNS proxying services to get around region locks for apps such as Netflix.

It seems with 5.0 that no longer works. Not sure if this is a coincidence or what. Dont think its a configure issue as my non android clients still work fine with the same configurations. and rolling back to an older version of android Netflix does seem to work either.

"this isn't the best Quad HD phone, right now i would give that crown to..." - MKBHD

HOLDAT L TURKEYBACON
Rofl Turkeybacon. That's not cool lol. Besides, like he said, the note is running touchwiz which is a negative compared to stock.

I just tried out the Nexus 6 guys! That thing is not so big but wide. Sheesh does it takes up space. It can't fit in my jean pocket :(. The display was great though so no worries there. The apps colors really stood out and looked vibrant. Android Lollipop is fucking sexy. So much fun to use and is quite fluid. The battery was running low (lol damn you project Volta) so I couldn't do much more. I tried opening different apps to test speeds and it's quite fast. I really want this phone now. I should mention that I tried it out at a T-Mobile store.

I also tried out the Z3 and it is quite snappy. Screen is great and the phone looks elegant. Definitely a nice phone.

Oh man some people here just gone full retard...

First with the whole moto x hype garbage..

Then the non stop spewing of L has great battery life and it will improve battery life BS...

And when L didn't deliver, he spew out weird statement like

"BRING ON THE BUG-FIXING UPDATES BABY"

Wow what a weirdo....

Then have the audacity to crap on TouchWiz..

Samsung won, a brought out an A+ product with the note 4...it delivered better screen, battery life and camera versus the nexus 6 with a beta OS.

Seriously praising a phone base on what it could be than what it is now is just ridiculous...

Its all personal preference and this thread is filled with software enthusiasts hence the title being about a software operating system.

If everyone cared about hardware over software that much we wouldn't be in this thread.

Are you lost?

whitehawk

Banned
Why does chrome make tabs appear like separate apps? The entire point of tabs was to keep it within one window/program. They've completely lost the point of what they were for.

Back to Firefox for me.

RedFyn

Are those of you saying large phones don't fit in your pockets female? Wear skinny jeans? Are pockets outside America smaller? Have you tried it or are you just assuming it won't fit?

I'm just wondering as the nexus 6 cut out I have fits fine in all of my jeans.

Why does chrome make tabs appear like separate apps? The entire point of tabs was to keep it within one window/program. They've completely lost the point of what they were for.

Back to Firefox for me.
You can disable that

malyce

I'm never going back to a big phone again. Can't stand that shit. Say no to more than 5 point O.
The G3 is the sweet spot for display size. That's about as large as I would go. I expect them to shrink the bezels even smaller for the g4 or fit it with a 5.7" display while maintaining the same size. Would be cool if flagships came in 5" and 5.5" variants.

jokkir

What do you guys think of replacing a Nexus 4 for a Moto G 2014? The battery is the biggest issue I have with the Nexus 4 and if the battery is significantly better on the Moto G, I would probably switch to it. The camera is a non-issue for me.

The RAM, however is making me reconsider

tzare

I'm never going back to a big phone again. Can't stand that shit. Say no to more than 5 point O.
I feel the opposite. My n5 feels like a toy now after 15 days with my note4. I do not think i could go bigger, i'd say note's size is the limit for me, but man when i use n5 the screen feels sooo tiny.
So when i buy a phone to replace my note4 i will be limited to 5.5 screens or more.

Would like to try a nexus6, but i think it would feel too big

What do you guys think of replacing a Nexus 4 for a Moto G 2014? The battery is the biggest issue I have with the Nexus 4 and if the battery is significantly better on the Moto G, I would probably switch to it. The camera is a non-issue for me.

The RAM, however is making me reconsider
why not just get a one plus? Or is it a size thing? Moto X? Otherwise I'd take a moto g 2014 over a nexus 4 any day.

Guys. Guys. The in-app search of 3rd party apps using Google Now is dope as hell. I thought I needed the latest version that's only on Lollipop at the moment, but it works in older one. Guess it was server side.

I have been looking to replace my 2012 N7 with a 32Gb N9, but the price and varying reviews have put me off a little. I noticed a few days back that the Nvidia Shield tablet was being updated to stock Lollipop on Nov 18. Did a bit more checking and it was looking better and better in comparison with the N9.

16Gb Shield tablet @ £240 vs 32Gb N9 @ £400

Factor in the micro SD card support and a 64Gb card @ £25 and it is straight forward buying decision now. Sure, maybe if the N9 is refreshed next year, that would be a good upgrade from the Shield, but for now (and given how badly my N7 is running), the Shield looks like a great option.

So I just bought it.

I have been looking to replace my 2012 N7 with a 32Gb N9, but the price and varying reviews have put me off a little. I noticed a few days back that the Nvidia Shield tablet was being updated to stock Lollipop on Nov 18. Did a bit more checking and it was looking better and better in comparison with the N9.

16Gb Shield tablet @ £240 vs 32Gb N9 @ £400

Factor in the micro SD card support and a 64Gb card @ £25 and it is straight forward buying decision now. Sure, maybe if the N9 is refreshed next year, that would be a good upgrade from the Shield, but for now (and given how badly my N7 is running), the Shield looks like a great option.

So I just bought it.
not a bad buy at all. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the nexus 9 is sold at bomba prices sometime really soon. Like HTC already did with the 199 quick sale.

NotBacon

"this isn't the best Quad HD phone, right now i would give that crown to..." - MKBHD

HOLDAT L TURKEYBACON

Ok I lol'd.
But really, we all know MKBHD worships at the correct alter :p

That is not what it came down to in that review or the majority of the reviews.

As is the norm it comes down to better screen, better camera, better battery life on the Note 4 at the expense of Touchwiz vs. Weaker screen, battery, camera but with Stock.

Sooooooooo exactly what I said. If you're a TouchWiz person, definitely get the Note 4. If you're a Stock person, definitely get the Nexus 6.
It really is that simple.

lol @ that MKBHD Nexus 6 review. He seems so disappointed.

I think he's just trying not to come across as a fanboy. I applaud him for it.

Jigolo

I thought that firmware was going to improve battery.

jg3fNLvmnCCeK.png

Project Volta putting in the work

I feel the opposite. My n5 feels like a toy now after 15 days with my note4. I do not think i could go bigger, i'd say note's size is the limit for me, but man when i use n5 the screen feels sooo tiny.
So when i buy a phone to replace my note4 i will be limited to 5.5 screens or more.

Would like to try a nexus6, but i think it would feel too big

I've used a Nexus 6 and Note. The Nexus is a wide ass phone. I can hold the Note 4 with one hand quite easily but I had to adjust with the Nexus 6. But I agree with you about small phones. I hate them. 5.2 would be my limit.

Where did you use the Nexus 6?
I held a nexus 6 in the hand today but only very briefly. Was a rep who came buy showing off some random phones or something. I checked it out for 2 seconds on my way back from work.

Unless you have hands that are quite big, you're in for a doozy lol. It's very wide feeling and noticeably taller than a note 4. I had no time to crank the screen brightness to full for lulz because I had to go home. Not sure why it's thick as well but anyway only re-enforces my belief that it crosses the line in terms of phone size territory but for those who give no fucks and want bigger and bigger and bigger then it has stock. And lollipop is beautiful :'(

Damn shame though, if they went with smaller screen size and same battery it would have been a beast in that sense.

I may not be getting a Nexus 6 anymore, but my next phone can't have a display smaller than 5.5". Anything less than that is too small.
5.5 is the absolute most I'd go but it would have to be a small bezel'd device. The oneplus for instance is 5.5 but I consider it too big. 5 inches is still perfect to me.

Got the Note 4 yesterday and I've been loving it. Coming from a S3 it's a nice upgrade. I never knew how much I would love the S pen. After a few adjustments it's the fastest Android phone I've played with.

Where did you use the Nexus 6?
See my earlier post with impressions. I live in New York City and a T-Mobile in the Downtown area had it already set up. That store was a smart store I think so they had several different phones to demo. It's the only store I've been to that previously had a Nexus 5 to demo. I figured it would have the 6 and I was right. It took the 5's spot.

I held a nexus 6 in the hand today but only very briefly. Was a rep who came buy showing off some random phones or something. I checked it out for 2 seconds on my way back from work.

Unless you have hands that are quite big, you're in for a doozy lol. It's very wide feeling and noticeably taller than a note 4. I had no time to crank the screen brightness to full for lulz because I had to go home. Not sure why it's thick as well but anyway only re-enforces my belief that it crosses the line in terms of phone size territory but for those who give no fucks and want bigger and bigger and bigger then it has stock. And lollipop is beautiful :'(

Damn shame though, if they went with smaller screen size and same battery it would have been a beast in that sense.
Literally did the same thing lololol. The battery was running low though LOL. The screen is bright but I wanted it to be brighter so I can see the complaints about the max brightness. I don't think it's much bigger than the note 4. It's just wider and I'm sure it won't fit in some of my pockets because of that. My hands refuses to go to a small phone. It must be larger.

I agree so much about lollipop. That thing is slick and makes my current phone feel like it's from the stone age. I think they should've put a bigger battery. Moto managed to fit a 3900 mAh battery in the Droid Turbo. A 3500+ would be nice, especially seeing how large and wide the phone is. What did you think about the colors? I think Lollipop looks amazing on amoled displays with all the colors.

I agree so much about lollipop. That thing is slick and makes my current phone feel like it's from the stone age. I think they should've put a bigger battery. Moto managed to fit a 3900 mAh battery in the Droid Turbo. A 3500+ would be nice, especially seeing how large and wide the phone is. What did you think about the colors? I think Lollipop looks amazing on amoled displays with all the colors.
meh lollipop definitely looks great but it's a shame that the nexus 6 doesn't seem to be the best showcase of it, at least not all that it could be. The colours didn't seem as good as any recent smartphone. The rep who had the nexus 6 also had a note 4 and iphone 6 and a Moto X and out of all of them the nexus 6 had the worst display, Moto X probably similar. My nexus 5 had a better screen than the 6.

It's just a shame that they're charging a premium price for it but didn't put a premium battery or display in there. Anandtech is spot on with their opinion of the display. But that's more for people who notice these things. If you're not I'm sure you'd think it was fine. I still think if you don't care about phone size then it's the best phone you could get, but that may be because I think touchwiz is a crime against humanity.

5.5 is the absolute most I'd go but it would have to be a small bezel'd device. The oneplus for instance is 5.5 but I consider it too big. 5 inches is still perfect to me.
Well, luckily we all have that choice with Android. You just have to decide on what compromises you can put up with. And yeah, the One Plus is too big for its display size. That's why I don't want Sony and HTC phones. The screen to bezel ratios are not good enough.

Also, it's funny to me how my limit keeps changing every time I play with a bigger phone. First it was 4.3", then 4.7", 5", etc.

Well, luckily we all have that choice with Android. You just have to decide on what compromises you can put up with. And yeah, the One Plus is too big for its display size. That's why I don't want Sony and HTC phones. The screen to bezel ratios are not good enough.

Also, it's funny to me how my limit keeps changing every time I play with a bigger phone. First it was 4.3", then 4.7", 5", etc.
it's a shame that with android it's always a pick your poison kind of thing. Would be nice if someone made a premium 5 inch device with no compromises running stock. Aka google has to do it, or the oneplus 2 maybe.

RedFyn

it's a shame that with android it's always a pick your poison kind of thing. Would be nice if someone made a premium 5 inch device with no compromises running stock. Aka google has to do it, or the oneplus 2 maybe.
But then you're compromising if you want a larger screen

But then you're compromising if you want a larger screen
Some people will be for sure. But I'd be surprised if a vast majority didn't think 5 inches was enough, 5.5 max. Of course there will always be a niche of people who are left out for their specific tastes but what I'm asking for isn't and was never unreasonable.

Manufacturers are always skimping on SOMETHING and the ones that don't skimp have software lol.

RedFyn

Some people will be for sure. But I'd be surprised if a vast majority didn't think 5 inches was enough, 5.5 max. Of course there will always be a niche of people who are left out for their specific tastes but what I'm asking for isn't and was never unreasonable.

Manufacturers are always skimping on SOMETHING and the ones that don't skimp have software lol.
But what is the vast majorities preference in phone size? Screen size is only half the story.

But what is the vast majorities preference in phone size? Screen size is only half the story.
That's why I say 5 inches though. It's a good middle ground for small and big phones. I could have said 4.3/4.7 or 5.5 inches. 5 I think would please most people other than those on the extreme edges who want huge or tiny (by todays standards).

And yes screen size isn't all of it. Battery matters. And camera. And the actual display quality.

RedFyn

That's why I say 5 inches though. It's a good middle ground for small and big phones. I could have said 4.3/4.7 or 5.5 inches. 5 I think would please most people other than those on the extreme edges who want huge or tiny (by todays standards).

And yes screen size isn't all of it. Battery matters. And camera. And the actual display quality.
I meant bezel size. You can have a 5 inch screen but have large bezels or a 5.5 with small bezel. Are front facing speakers the way to go? Physical buttons?

You can't just say 5 inch screen when it's the actual phone size that ultimately matters.

It really is a shame. I wouldn't trust One Plus to be able to make that no compromise device, and fuck the CM team, so yeah lol.

Google could/should do it, but they don't seem to care. If they would take the Pixel approach with a phone and tablet, I'd be so damn happy. Even the Nexus Q proved they could make some great, unique hardware. Google seems to give up or just not care far too often. They need to build Nexus devices in-house.

I meant bezel size. You can have a 5 inch screen but have large bezels or a 5.5 with small bezel. Are front facing speakers the way to go? Physical buttons?

You can't just say 5 inch screen when it's the actual phone size that ultimately matters.
I agree. If you can fit a 5.5 inch screen in a smaller form factor then it's a good thing. But the size of the oneplus is an example of doing it the wrong way to me.

NotBacon

Oh man some people here just gone full retard...

First with the whole moto x hype garbage..

Then the non stop spewing of L has great battery life and it will improve battery life BS...

And when L didn't deliver, he spew out weird statement like

"BRING ON THE BUG-FIXING UPDATES BABY"

Wow what a weirdo....

Then have the audacity to crap on TouchWiz..

Samsung won, a brought out an A+ product with the note 4...it delivered better screen, battery life and camera versus the nexus 6 with a beta OS.

Seriously praising a phone base on what it could be than what it is now is just ridiculous...

Afraid to call me out by my screen name?

If you're not trolling:

- Note 4 = premium hardware + subpar software
- Nexus 6 = good hardware + good software
- There are MANY others with similar opinions to mine and value the best software experience.
- Moto X turned out to be great just like I said. Ask anyone who has one. Oh wait I have one, and it's great.
- Lollipop has improved battery life for the majority of updaters.
- Nexus 6 Lollipop isn't in it's final form, it's not even in consumer hands yet.
- There is pretty much a consensus that TouchWiz IS crap. Look around you.

So you just spewed a bunch of nonsense and called me out on going full retard. Nice. Gtfo.

It really is a shame. I wouldn't trust One Plus to be able to make that no compromise device, and fuck the CM team, so yeah lol.

Google could/should do it, but they don't seem to care. If they would take the Pixel approach with a phone and tablet, I'd be so damn happy. Even the Nexus Q proved they could make some great, unique hardware. Google seems to give up or just not care far too often. They need to build Nexus devices in-house.
yeah cynaogenmod does come off as amateur hour at times but if the choice was a oneplus 2 that is smaller and still high end for a low price or one of the manufacturer phones, I'd probably take the oneplus 2. Unless the moto x 2015 is hotness. And yes I've already ruled out nexus 2015. Don't think google cares anymore.

Afraid to call me out by my screen name?

If you're not trolling:

- Note 4 = premium hardware + subpar software
- Nexus 6 = good hardware + good software
- There are MANY others with similar opinions to mine and value the best software experience.
- Moto X turned out to be great just like I said. Ask anyone who has one. Oh wait I have one, and it's great.
- Lollipop has improved battery life for the majority of updaters.
- Nexus 6 Lollipop isn't in it's final form, it's not even in consumer hands yet.
- There is pretty much a consensus that TouchWiz IS crap. Look around you.

So you just spewed a bunch of nonsense and called me out on going full retard. Nice. Gtfo.

I wouldn't call TouchWiz subpar, it's just needs work =P

I doubt any OEM is going to go backwards in terms of screen size at this point. It's a shame. What can I upgrade to next year? I'm probably limited to 1 or 2 devices max.

kehs

Banned
bacon, the n6 is middle of the road. hardware, software. not physically though it's still titanic.

Keep fucking that "update" chicken though. Google had a GREAT chance to make a killer device with hardware/software integration. They didn't, so much that their product manager bailed.

If we want to talk about "maybe in the next update" then maybe in the next update touchwiz will be great, but we're not.

They someone how fucked up performance with encryption...even though they built the code themselves. Google continues to be garbage on first launch for software and hardware. Nexus, Glass, Wear, even Inbox which is supposed to be their primary effort.

The n6 will be great in three months. When it's outdated and people don't care about it.

I doubt any OEM is going to go backwards in terms of screen size at this point. It's a shame. What can I upgrade to next year? I'm probably limited to 1 or 2 devices max.
if you don't mind a skin then I'm sure the Z4 compact will be fine. Other than that we'll have to see. Maybe someone will surprise....or not.

The n6 will be great in three months. When it's outdated and people don't care about it.
when it bombs to $350 price I might get one as a tablet :p

if you don't mind a skin then I'm sure the Z4 compact will be fine. Other than that we'll have to see. Maybe someone will surprise....or not.

The Z4 compact will probably be like 5 inches by next year which will probably be my absolute max size. And it would have to be purchased unlocked. And by the time I can get it in the US unlocked the Z5c will be out.

bacon, the n6 is middle of the road. hardware, software. not physically though it's still titanic.

Keep fucking that "update" chicken though. Google had a GREAT chance to make a killer device with hardware/software integration. They didn't, so much that their product manager bailed.

If we want to talk about "maybe in the next update" then maybe in the next update touchwiz will be great, but we're not.

They someone how fucked up performance with encryption...even though they built the code themselves. Google continues to be garbage on first launch for software and hardware. Nexus, Glass, Wear, even Inbox which is supposed to be their primary effort.

Google is like a teenager who does a research paper the night before it's due. There is bound to be mistakes.

Z4 will be quite nice if the Z3 is anything to go by. And that includes the Z3 compact. The skin isn't even that bad anyway.

And that would be one small tablet lol.

The Z4 compact will probably be like 5 inches by next year which will probably be my absolute max size. And it would have to be purchased unlocked. And by the time I can get it in the US unlocked the Z5c will be out.
I think Sony will releaes their flagship in the U.S in a timely fashion so you can count on getting the Z4c. And rumors suggest that the Z4 will be the start of yearly updates for Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom